PDA

View Full Version : Bear advice, new to Vernon

russm
04-15-2022, 01:06 PM
I moved to Vernon in November so this will be my first spring hunting here, ive only hunted in the Okanagan 2 or 3 times so not really sure where would be a good start. Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I have a truck and quad to get me somewhere but definitely don't mind hiking. Any help is appreciated.

cameron0518
04-15-2022, 01:58 PM
Get a hold of a backroads map book. Pick a road and have at it. Lots of time to get out and find a bear.

RyoTHC
04-15-2022, 02:13 PM
Give it two weeks and I think you’d have a harder time picking an area that doesn’t have bear.. go north of Vernon away from the cities or a bit further east.

B-rad
04-15-2022, 02:26 PM
I moved to Vernon in November so this will be my first spring hunting here, ive only hunted in the Okanagan 2 or 3 times so not really sure where would be a good start. Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I have a truck and quad to get me somewhere but definitely don't mind hiking. Any help is appreciated.
head close to salmon arm,,,chase,,(shuswap area),,,,the thick cedars around shuswap should be pooping a few bear out by now,,,,,,im outskirts of kamloops,,(barnhartvale),,,,,,and just this week alone there has already been a few spotted

BC Bill
04-15-2022, 03:41 PM
Go up to sugar lake way always had good luck there

high horse Hal
04-16-2022, 09:17 AM
Bears near Vernon are pretty skittish from all the early spring dirtbiking that is active already, tough to find a quiet road right now
An annual hunt is a drive up Noble Canyon , up Bardolph fsr , poke around various roads and blocks north toward the Park boundary, then down Deaffies fsr to Lumby for a beer at the Blue Ox

russm
04-16-2022, 09:46 AM
Bears near Vernon are pretty skittish from all the early spring dirtbiking that is active already, tough to find a quiet road right now
An annual hunt is a drive up Noble Canyon , up Bardolph fsr , poke around various roads and blocks north toward the Park boundary, then down Deaffies fsr to Lumby for a beer at the Blue Ox

Not necessarily stuck on staying around here, just not sure where abouts to head I don't mind traveling a little,ive just only really ever spent time in region 3

mike31154
04-16-2022, 11:28 AM
I've seen bear up around Oyama Lake, but that was a few years ago. King Ed FSR does see quite a bit of traffic but there are many spurs & secondary roads if you wish to explore. With the cold April we've had, continued snow at elevation, travel is going to be tough if not impossible once you get to around 1,000 meters, unless there's active logging.

Another place I've spotted bear is up around Keefer Lake in the Monashees. That's past Sugar Lake with the turn off left near the Monashee Pass on Hwy 6. Takes almost 2 hours to get there, but little to no traffic this time of year. Keefer Lake FSR is always cleared because there's a year round lodge at Km 13. Plenty of spurs to explore there as well. There's another major FSR lower down, right off Hwy 6, don't recall the name but it more or less follows the Kettle valley if not mistaken. I don't go after spring bear, most of the sightings I've made are during the warmer months, accidental.

RiverOtter
04-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Anything Monashee is a waste of time for bears until mid-late May. Keefer and Kettle were both plowed last winter for logging contractors, if you want to poke around and get familiar with those 2 roads.

walks with deer
04-16-2022, 05:46 PM
Anything Monashee is a waste of time for bears until mid-late May. Keefer and Kettle were both plowed last winter for logging contractors, if you want to poke around and get familiar with those 2 roads.

North of vernon a hour or two should hold tonnes of bears i would say east a hour or two would be great aswell..i hunt bears near fawning areas and shoot the bears that poop hooves.. i am also lucky or unlucky enough to shoot them from home.

db
04-16-2022, 07:44 PM
Coldstream creek/nobles is a good place close to Vernon. Best time last couple hrs of the day. Plenty of area to hunt and plenty of bears. Another area is Trinity Valley lots of forest service roads and blocks all hold bears, again hunt the last few hrs of the day. A little farther out , east side of Mabel lake lots of access to good areas.

JAGRMEISTER
04-18-2022, 12:01 PM
I have many bears right in my neighbourhood! Maybe go to Ft Nelson? you should see one on the drive!

wallz
04-19-2022, 10:17 AM
Lots of great power lines intersecting in the Vernon area, and those areas seem to shed the snow quicker. Vernon hill, BX area, Mabel lake area.