PDA

View Full Version : Where to aim your bear!

rattling_junkie
04-13-2022, 07:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cmrEFtyCFU

rattling_junkie
04-13-2022, 07:40 AM
Let the debate begin!

HappyJack
04-13-2022, 07:54 AM
I just hit them the same as I do with a deer, the don't go far, double lung or front shoulder.

rattling_junkie
04-13-2022, 08:09 AM
Exactly, couldn't agree more!

walks with deer
04-13-2022, 09:09 AM
Texas heart shots.. all day long.

Bugle M In
04-13-2022, 09:51 AM
I would lean more towards the shoulders and bust the blades if it was gbear.
I will say this, get to know the true anatomy of the game you shoot as they actually stand broadside.
I always aimed low on elk and a few inches behind the shoulder.
Everyone one of my shots/ kills I found I just took off the very end portion of the heart but blew the liver to bits.
Its a kill shot, but not always instantaneously.
Looking at actual diagrams of bone location vs muscle appearance, I saw how the joints of and elk/ deer look veg different in location from what you think you see.
To really hit dead centre of a heart on elk, you literally have to hit the back edge of the front leg muscle on the back leading edge.
I was bang on as far as height, just several inches too far back.
So, look at a bears bone structure vs outwards appearance.
Then it’s a debate whether to bust shoulders or go for the heart.
Once the shoulders are gone, they aren’t going far, if at all, imo.
I never aimed for the shoulder of elk because I wanted to damage as little of the good meat as ever possible.

RyoTHC
04-13-2022, 10:24 AM
Busting shoulders doesn’t slow bears down from my experience, unless you hit the knuckle of their shoulder socket and not the blade, which is a tough shot! Middle of middle seems to deflate them the quickest and I’ve found that when you take those shots, they “notice” it less and go about their business, you hit them in the shoulder that adrenaline flows and they run like a mac truck..

my second biggest bear I hit broadside .308 from 20 yards and it looked up, attempted to go back to feeding and fell over.

HarryToolips
04-13-2022, 10:51 AM
I just hit them the same as I do with a deer, the don't go far, double lung or front shoulder.

This.........

bc7mm
04-13-2022, 11:50 AM
We’ve taken over 30 bears in the last 3 decades. Lungs / boiler room works every time. I don’t intentionally shoot out shoulders, although sometimes on a quartering shot it might exit through there. Take out the lungs they don’t go very far. Shoulder shots tend to waste quite a bit of meat. My bear last spring scored 18 7/8, double lunged, never touched a shoulder, went 15 yards. We’ve seen this same thing play out many times. Never lost one, shots on bears to 6 and a half feet nose to tail. Nothin fancy, same thing as any other critter. If they can’t breath, and with massive blood loss it is quick and humane.

RiverOtter
04-13-2022, 02:47 PM
Shoulders...can always fall back on a double lung.
Still hunt pretty much exclusively with TSX/TTSX, so I like busting bone.

One thing not mentioned yet that is worth noting, is don't hit them high. Bear hair soaks up blood really good and they can go a fair ways into some nasty stuff.

Steeleco
04-13-2022, 02:52 PM

They don't have a BACK shoulder LOL Boiler room 1st choice, shoulder 2nd choice in my mind!!

RiverOtter
04-13-2022, 03:09 PM
They don't have a BACK shoulder LOL Boiler room 1st choice, shoulder 2nd choice in my mind!!
Rear shoulders are good for follow up shots though. Haha.
Anything to keep them out of the rhubarb...

ACB
04-13-2022, 04:12 PM
Double lung if you have of lots of field of view, but if they are in close quarters and the bush is thick I tend to try to neck shoot them, they go about 3-4 ft. straight down and bawl till they die.

jlirot
04-13-2022, 04:15 PM
I have shot exactly ONE bear so now I'm an expert. I aimed just like I would with a deer. I hit just above the heart and shredded both lungs. I was shocked that it made it 10 yards. They're damn tough. And surprisingly delicious! I'm hoping to get another one this year. My freezer is empty.

whitlers
04-13-2022, 05:04 PM
Shot a few bears. Two in the lungs and they went a few yards. One larger boar in the shoulder and he went down hard.

landphil
04-13-2022, 06:54 PM
So for it’s been all heart shorts for me on bears. Cool how fast / far they’ll sprint when they’re dead and haven’t figured it out yet.

Bugle M In
04-13-2022, 07:17 PM
So for it’s been all heart shorts for me on bears. Cool how fast / far they’ll sprint when they’re dead and haven’t figured it out yet.
Lol, very true.

ACE
04-13-2022, 07:28 PM
Have seen this a few times with new bear hunters.
Wait for the shot, shoot, head is up off the scope as bear spins and disappears.
Never cranked another round into the chamber.
Now have a problem.

Two shots are better than one on big bears.

caddisguy
04-13-2022, 08:04 PM
Just like with deer, double lung presents the largest target and most forgiveness for error.

It's extremely effective. I have never had a bear go more than 20 yards on a double lung.

You can even miss the lungs completely and still catch a break, hitting the heart, liver or shoulder.

The one bear (one bear too many) I lost, I was aiming for the double lung and believe it went too far forward making a pass through fleshwound on the front leg or shoulder.

I never did understand the intentional shoulder shot. Is it not a smaller target, guaranteed to waste most of a quarter, plus bears seem to run quite well on 3 wheels. Serious question, just making my case but a lot of seasoned folks here I respect a ton often mention the shoulder shot and could very well change my perspective (or maybe I can change others perspective) So double lung being a larger target, fatal within short distance every time, no meat loss other than some rib, versus smaller target, losing a good portion of a quarter from bone and bullet shrapnel encased in red jelly, and even a 3 legged bear can haul ass. How does the tracking and put down shot work in the thick timber or brush or is this mainly for wide open terrain? I could very well be missing something, so go easy on me :)

caddisguy
04-13-2022, 08:24 PM
Rear shoulders are good for follow up shots though. Haha.
Anything to keep them out of the rhubarb...

Lol that gave me a good chuckle.

"Don't you dare head for that quick sand surrounded by devils club and stinging nettles or imma sting your rear again"

Or yeah "stay out of my garden"!

robbiej793
04-13-2022, 10:17 PM
I’ve shot 2 bears with a rifle and one with the bow so far(no expert) with my 7mm mag. First shoulder shot I dropped it and it didn’t move. Second time shoulder shot and the bear went running with absolutely no care. I will be aiming for the lungs/heart and leave a shoulder shot as my follow up. To be fair none went over 100 yards yet but I’ve always followed up if they move, slight meat loss>dangers of getting attacked imo.

RiverOtter
04-13-2022, 11:45 PM
I never did understand the intentional shoulder shot. Is it not a smaller target, guaranteed to waste most of a quarter, plus bears seem to run quite well on 3 wheels. Serious question, just making my case but a lot of seasoned folks here I respect a ton often mention the shoulder shot and could very well change my perspective (or maybe I can change others perspective) So double lung being a larger target, fatal within short distance every time, no meat loss other than some rib, versus smaller target, losing a good portion of a quarter from bone and bullet shrapnel encased in red jelly, and even a 3 legged bear can haul ass. How does the tracking and put down shot work in the thick timber or brush or is this mainly for wide open terrain? I could very well be missing something, so go easy on me :)
I'll give you my thoughts based on roughly 35 successful black bear hunts, personal and as co-pilot.

First off, there is nothing wrong with tucking a bullet behind the shoulders on a broadside shot, I've seen/done it lots with good results. Tucking it in tight will buy you a bit of leeway for a step, misread wind, etc and help reduce the chance of ending up south of the diaphragm.

My main reason for preferring shoulder shots is the higher rate of bang flops. Having experienced a few tracking jobs in the thick, I've really grown to appreciate bears that die in the open. Lol.
Secondly, when I made the switch to monolithic bullets(TSX/TTSX) in the early 2000's, I found that I got a lot less meat damage and double shoulders with an exit wound were the norm. The monos seem to excel when hitting bone and don't nuke at high velocity, as I've seen so many cup 'n cores do over the years.

Basically, it comes down to personal experience and what you have the most confidence in.

moosinaround
04-14-2022, 03:21 AM
I like my 375h&h with 300 Accubonds, through the shoulders, seems to work ok! I will use my 9.3x62, with 270 gr speers this spring, I’ll tuck it behind the shoulder, as it is a cup core bullet! I’ve taken bears with my 300 win mag, 180 gr fed blue box, 190 Hornady, and 168 ttsx, all seemed to die the same?!! Maybe I’ll try a 120 ballistic tip from my 6.5 PrC? Nice to have variety!! Anywho, can’t wait for mid May!!!! Moosin

Rezpatrol
04-14-2022, 03:55 AM
Just under the base of ear on broadside and right between the eyes for frontal I don't **** around with things that might eat me

Rieber
04-14-2022, 06:03 AM
I prefer to shoot them as close to the edge of the FSR as possible. Bears don't drag well through the bush or up hills.

RiverOtter
04-14-2022, 07:09 AM
I prefer to shoot them as close to the edge of the FSR as possible. Bears don't drag well through the bush or up hills.
That's awesome. :mrgreen:

high horse Hal
04-14-2022, 07:41 AM
Congrats to those with enough patience to wait for the perfect side shot to choose double lungs or double shoulder
My luck has been with less-than-ideal pictures, so shots have been ....lets say.... creative.....
base of skull, high off-side shoulder resulted in a lower neck hit, quartering away was through the guts to the off-side shoulder, one spine above the stomach still not sure how that one happened

use enough gun
no 'golf shots'
shot til anchored
two tags for a reason

walks with deer
04-14-2022, 11:31 AM
I have been part of or killed a average of 5 bears a year for over twenty years..with the bow top of the bottom third right behind the leg if you can exit through other shoulder.

With a gun honestly a heart lung is great..big ones in thick shit where the shoulder meets the spine with a big gun normally get top of lung too...
Many have been shot in the neck at the base of the skull... bit honestly have shot alot in the head...if using a bow you need that broad head truley razor sharp to get appropriate blood loss

walks with deer
04-14-2022, 11:32 AM
There was a time of my life living in the sea-to-ski we lived off bear.

rattling_junkie
04-14-2022, 02:38 PM
I have been part of or killed a average of 5 bears a year for over twenty years..with the bow top of the bottom third right behind the leg if you can exit through other shoulder.

With a gun honestly a heart lung is great..big ones in thick shit where the shoulder meets the spine with a big gun normally get top of lung too...
Many have been shot in the neck at the base of the skull... bit honestly have shot alot in the head...if using a bow you need that broad head truley razor sharp to get appropriate blood loss
That is music to my ears!

AllDay
04-14-2022, 03:02 PM
I will say that a shot to the shoulder with a ELD-M has resulted in carnage I have never seen before. I usually aim for the boiler-room, but two years ago I knew a bear was in the area and had a very short opportunity to make a shot on it and I hit the shoulder and it didn't go anywhere and the shoulder and ribs looked like they went through an industrial sized meat grinder. The whole blade and ribs were like shrapnel. Those fragmenting bullets sure can create some massive damage.

madcalfe
04-14-2022, 03:30 PM
180gr accubonds seems to work wonders placed in the noodle.

Dour
04-14-2022, 09:21 PM
A good place to shoot . is if you get one standing looking at you. Shoot it in the diamond on the chest. Drops them like a rock!!! I always hit the lungs. I shot one once with my 500 s&w. Threw the lungs. The Teflon tip bullet deflected off a rib. And came out bellow the stomach. It sucked all the internals out of it .it made it about 50 yards where it gave up. When we walked up to it it was licking its intestines. So my friend hit it in the head with a 7mm. Dropped it. They are tough bush pigs. For sure. If any of you have shot a 500s&w. You know. It packs a punch

Bugle M In
04-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Little different here, but I have taken 3 wild boar in Germany.
Both heart shots.
1 boar. Hit him, and all 4 legs shot out to the side and he was dead before his belly hit the ground.
2nd one ran 100 yards.
So, Go figure ???

todbartell
04-14-2022, 10:29 PM
Aim doesn't matter if yer packin' 180 grainers

landphil
04-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Congrats to those with enough patience to wait for the perfect side shot to choose double lungs or double shoulder
Snip.

Haha. With my last bear, I had no choice but to be patient. He was so, um, fat (is it still ok to say that of an animal these days??) and lazy that he was laying sprawled out with his hind legs out behind him like a corgi, dragging himself around in a broad circle in the grass, eating as he went. I felt like it was 15 minutes before he stood and gave a clean shot opportunity, though in reality it was probably closer to 5 minutes. With the wind in my favour, he had no idea whatsoever that I was there, which made it all possible in the end.

landphil
04-14-2022, 10:38 PM

Wut aboot two-fiddy grayners? :mrgreen:

Squamch
04-15-2022, 09:21 AM
Black bears, heart/Lungs. Middle elevation, 1/3 back.

Grizzlies, I know a guy who was in on one that soaked up 2 7mm and 2 .300 win mags into the boiler room and wasn't recovered. 2 more 300s were flung at it, with unknown effect.

They spent hours looking and never recovered it. Same guy with his 7mm has bang flopped everything I've ever seen him shoot at, so....shoot a big gun for grizzly bars.

RyoTHC
04-15-2022, 09:43 AM

ive never felt so inadequate with my 175’s.

Better get to the range and practice until I’m a sharp shooter ^^

walks with deer
04-15-2022, 09:49 AM
That is music to my ears!

Ya good video many people dont realize you can hit above the lungs or in the green really easy.