PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Elk Cape

cowboy-up69
11-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Any one out there have an elk cape hidden away in the freezer that they dont want or need or anything any more?? I was talking to my taxi today about my elk rack, and he figures I should get a shoulder mount done, and I was stupid and didnt cape myne out, jus cut the rack off, so I dont have a cape, anyone have one out there??? He doesnt have any and hasnt heard anything from anyone about having one they wanna get rid of. Please and thanks
Cliff

Freshtracks
11-20-2007, 12:37 AM
I'll check with a buddy .... he might? have one.

hunter1947
11-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Next years hunt up in the EK might produce a elk cape ,if you don't find one and we in our party hammer one that we don't want the cape ,it's yours cowboy.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

cowboy-up69
11-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Haha sounds good guys!! The taxi MIGHT (thats a big MIGHT) have found one for me, the guy is supposed to call me, so we will see what happens there.

BCrams
11-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I think you can get a bigger bull down there !!! Save yourself the money and get that rifle you're talking about !!

It is your first bull though so perhaps you'd like to have a shoulder mount. They do take up a lot of wall space.

Jetboater
11-20-2007, 09:42 AM
every taxidermist thinks you should mount your animal regardless of size... raw elk capes were going for 300.00 a piece this year... you will pay a pretty penny for that mount give it a year and wait till you get another one or a buddy does....

Barracuda
11-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok here is my two bits . I am not right or wrong it is simply an opinion.

the elk you got is the animal that has been the fruit of your labour. Dont you think that by putting on another elks cape it taints the memory of your endeavour and somehow cheapens your acheivment? Dont you want to be able to look at that mount and remember for what it is and was and not someone elses cape from someone elses hunts.

Why not get a nice tastefull european mount and with the pennies you save put it into some equipment or perhaps another hunt and aquire more memories.

just a thought

hunter1947
11-21-2007, 06:31 AM
First of all we have not been informed from Cliff how big his rack is ,maybe it is a honker of a set ,have you got a pic of your antlers Cliff ????. And as far as using someone else's cape ,go for it ,when you look at the head mount ,what do you look at the most when you look at it ,i myself look at the rack 90% of the time. If you have a decent set cliff buy all means get an elk cape from someone else ,or wait till you shot another one. If you do shot another one down the road and it is not as big as set of antlers you have now ,then save the cape and use it on the set you have now ,good luck Cliff.:wink:.

3kills
11-21-2007, 07:30 AM
here is the link to the story and pic of his elk...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15452

hunter1947
11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks 3kills ,that elk is well worth getting mounted ,very nice set of antlers ,if it were my first elk ,that would be on the wall.

road warrior
11-21-2007, 10:02 AM
We usually scrap a few every year if you can wait till next season your welcome to any we get and they wo'nt cost 300 bucks.I'll even drop it off.That being said I probly jinxt myself and nobody will get one but iff we do and you can wait its yours.

hunter1947
11-21-2007, 07:38 PM
We usually scrap a few every year if you can wait till next season your welcome to any we get and they wo'nt cost 300 bucks.I'll even drop it off.That being said I probly jinxt myself and nobody will get one but iff we do and you can wait its yours. Your are funny saying that road warrior ,you never know ,LOL.

BCGRIZ
12-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I have several elk capes. send me a private email and I'll be able to fix you up if you want.