PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Down, advice needed

hotload
11-19-2007, 11:03 PM
I have a few pics of the deer but there still coming. But, I have a question for you guys. I pounded this buck quite near my treestand in a real tight area of poplars maybe 70 yards from the stand. I hit it in the neck leaving very little blood. I dragged this thing along the trail I usually walk in on. But, halfway I thought I have to gut this thing or I won't make it, so I did, because it was just too heavy. The gut pile is just off the trail. How bad do you think I have contaminated this area.
When do you think I can return and do another hunt? So, in a nutshell, big bang, quite a bit of talking,dragging and he was definitely rutting, gutpile. I got it on the 18th just before dark. I have other spots in the area but this is definitely the best one, and I would like to get back in there. Or have I scared the bejesus out of everything around there. Sure need your advise

300H&H
11-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Buddy....YOU ARE SO SCREWED. No deer will ever come there again !!!

:biggrin: Just mess'n with ya.
But seriously, if it was not that much farther you should have rested and gutted your deer away from your stand. With that being said, Yoddies & Ravins will clean it up quick. Rain or snow will do the rest.
Why don't you give me a map to your stand and I will check the area out. You know...just to be sure :wink:.

The Hermit
11-19-2007, 11:15 PM
I have see deer standing right beside gut piles and carcasses. Give it a couple days and go get another one! BTW - IMHO you should gut your game ASAP after shooting it to start it cooloing down.

LeverActionJunkie
11-19-2007, 11:22 PM
My friend shot a four point mulie last week in an area we hunt, and later on in the day we were heading back to the truck after hunting some more, there was a nice little 3point whitetail maybe 40yrds from the gut pile and a spiker maybe another 20 past that. So I wouldn't worry. Oh yeah two days later we went back to try for the Whitetail again after not getting a shot first time, seen him in the same spot but he wouldn't come out from a patch of trees. Long story short you'll be ok.

Chuck
11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
I have see deer standing right beside gut piles and carcasses. Give it a couple days and go get another one! BTW - IMHO you should gut your game ASAP after shooting it to start it cooloing down.

X2.................

gameslayer
11-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Should be fine expecially with the rut happening. In fact the dragging around could interest them.
I am guessing you must have a doe tag being you are tagged out on bucks and are still hunting them :wink:

hotload
11-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Nah no doe tag, just want to take the wife in there and see what she can do. I think one of the worst things about the gut pile is that I said it wasn't far from the trail I walk in on, but, in reality, deer use it as well. They made the trail. There is no other way around this trail for me but to walk next to it or on it at times. I then veer off of it as soon as I can and go a back way into my stand, it sits in front of about 4 emerging trails. I was just very concerned that I wrecked everything. I know I got a nice deer but i wanted to know if i had wrecked it completely.

GoatGuy
11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
We shot two WT out of one blind and then called a whopper in the same afternoon only to have a buddy miss it - same spot. Called deer in the next day also.

I think you'll be just fine.

hunter1947
11-20-2007, 05:34 AM
The ravens ETC will clean that pill up in a day or so ,head back into your area this weekend ,everything will be settled down buy then. Just so you know ,one year i shot mulie buck in Nov ,i cleaned it where i shot him ,the second day i hunted buy the same place i cleaned him ,there was a bigger buck bedded 100 feet from were i shot the deer two days prior. Go get another one in the same are ,good luck.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

dawn2dusk
11-20-2007, 09:17 AM
No problem--get back in there. WE took two whities day after each other same spot same time of the day this year.

Plus it is cool to see all the scavengers hanging around the next day.

BCrams
11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Head right on back in there and get another !! I would not worry about the gut pile one bit. Chances are good you will get another good buck out of there.

ryanb
11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I was leaning against a tree in an old growth fir stand a few weeks ago. Along come a coyote down the game trail I'm watching and I blast him at 5 yards with my 7mm...making a bit of a mess. He rolls down the hill a bit off the trail. Being early still, and a great cool morning to see some deer, I stayed put. Sure enough, 20 minutes later along comes 3 does down the trail. The lead doe reaches where there is coyote blood and guts scattered all over the place and bends over, smells, and get this: LICKS IT! After a while, they all continue down the trail unfazed.

I doubt you'll have problem.