PDA

View Full Version : 3-30 Wolf

TheObserver
04-06-2022, 09:26 PM
Going to a place i've been shed hunting to since I was a boy for 4 days, anybody got any intel on where they spot wolves up around here. I want to try and take a couple.

sames14
04-06-2022, 09:38 PM
I have seen lots of sign but have not eyeballed one for years. I recall seeing a big bull moose high tailing it out of a clear-cut and I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw 4 wolves chasing it. The deer population seems to be doing good so I think the wolves have moved on, probably followed or chased the moose out of the area. Happened years ago when moose were abundant and deer were shy now it is lots of deer but lucky if you see a moose.

TheObserver
04-06-2022, 09:45 PM
I have seen lots of sign but have not eyeballed one for years. I recall seeing a big bull moose high tailing it out of a clear-cut and I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw 4 wolves chasing it. The deer population seems to be doing good so I think the wolves have moved on, probably followed or chased the moose out of the area. Happened years ago when moose were abundant and deer were shy now it is lots of deer but lucky if you see a moose.

I was up there twice last year, also saw lot's of deer. Found Moose sign. All the years I have been there never laid eyes on a Wolf but they are there, some must follow the Mulie's that winter there i'd think. Hopefully I can take one, or a couple hahah.

What time of year did you see them chasing the Bull?

dmaxtech
04-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Was up that way in February trying to track some down after an unsuccessful LEH moose hunt in November (saw lots of moose tracks - all with wolf tracks following them). Crossed the path of a pack along the Chasm Rd in fresh snow. Followed the tracks and counted 10+ sets.

sames14
04-07-2022, 10:51 AM
I think I saw the bull and wolves mid October, but as I said that was many years ago. I also saw the biggest bull I have ever seen up that way. Of course it wasn't open but a 1/2 mile North of where I spotted it they were open.

Getbent
04-07-2022, 10:53 AM
Mount Grant off the Ainsworth road.
That whole area had moose and wolf sign in the fall last year.
Saw 4 in there 2 years ago, they were booking it across a grass field.

wideopenthrottle
04-07-2022, 01:18 PM
I used to hunt that area. Been several years since being up that way. last time we were there we got a small buck and filled a doe tag. over the years I noticed a pretty big uptick in the moose population but the last couple of years there we started seeing a lot of wolf tracks.....hunted some other areas for a couple of years then the fire ripped through and we haven't been back...I am tempted to make a detour up there to see how things are coming back maybe this fall....I am imagining that it would be a lot more open there now so more likely to see a wolf but not sure.....Good luck with finding a wolf or two

TheObserver
04-07-2022, 08:48 PM
Mount Grant off the Ainsworth road.
That whole area had moose and wolf sign in the fall last year.
Saw 4 in there 2 years ago, they were booking it across a grass field.

Thanks man!

TheObserver
04-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Was up that way in February trying to track some down after an unsuccessful LEH moose hunt in November (saw lots of moose tracks - all with wolf tracks following them). Crossed the path of a pack along the Chasm Rd in fresh snow. Followed the tracks and counted 10+ sets.

Brutal man, did you end up catching a glimpse?

TheObserver
04-07-2022, 08:52 PM
I used to hunt that area. Been several years since being up that way. last time we were there we got a small buck and filled a doe tag. over the years I noticed a pretty big uptick in the moose population but the last couple of years there we started seeing a lot of wolf tracks.....hunted some other areas for a couple of years then the fire ripped through and we haven't been back...I am tempted to make a detour up there to see how things are coming back maybe this fall....I am imagining that it would be a lot more open there now so more likely to see a wolf but not sure.....Good luck with finding a wolf or two

The vegetation was pretty insane last year, you should check it out. I never made it up to my high up spot there the roads are so bad in the spring but I will be getting up high there next week to see if the fire burned or if it is still old semi open timber.

Thanks buddy hope I can bring a nice skull/cape home!

264mag
04-07-2022, 09:18 PM
I live at my place on Green Lake in the winters, we had a shit ton of wolves around this winter. Sadly not many moose around now.
I was out on my sled last week of feb, I put 120 km on one day and saw 15-20 wolves in 4 different spots, North of the Bonaparte in 5-01, and south in 3-30. I managed to kill 2, and had shots on 3 others. I seem to see them during the week and not on the weekends when the weekend sledders are out. On my last sled ride I tracked 2 right into my yard. I am going to hunt my ass off for them next winter.

dmaxtech
04-08-2022, 09:22 AM
Brutal man, did you end up catching a glimpse?

No, based on a light dusting of snow an hour before, they were less than an hour ahead of us but went into thick regrowth.

TheObserver
04-10-2022, 10:24 PM
I live at my place on Green Lake in the winters, we had a shit ton of wolves around this winter. Sadly not many moose around now.
I was out on my sled last week of feb, I put 120 km on one day and saw 15-20 wolves in 4 different spots, North of the Bonaparte in 5-01, and south in 3-30. I managed to kill 2, and had shots on 3 others. I seem to see them during the week and not on the weekends when the weekend sledders are out. On my last sled ride I tracked 2 right into my yard. I am going to hunt my ass off for them next winter.

Nice good thing you got a couple at least, were they pretty spooky?

264mag
04-11-2022, 07:35 AM
They weren’t until the lead started flying!

TheObserver
04-13-2022, 05:55 PM
They weren’t until the lead started flying!

Hahaha nice!! What yardage did you get the shots at?

264mag
04-13-2022, 07:11 PM
The first one I shot was 395, the second was 440. The misses were at 250 and 325, and 400, on a dead run.
6 mm Ackley.

TheObserver
04-14-2022, 06:05 AM
The first one I shot was 395, the second was 440. The misses were at 250 and 325, and 400, on a dead run.
6 mm Ackley.

Good stuff your out there taking em, hopefully I can do my part and take a couple down

browningboy
04-17-2022, 07:50 AM
Jameson road, travel it and find a cut by Boneparte Lake to Hammer Lake, get a fox call out and wait, you will see them

tko
04-17-2022, 08:00 AM
I thought the Bonaparte and surrounding area was closed due to wildfires ?

browningboy
04-17-2022, 08:07 AM
I thought the Bonaparte and surrounding area was closed due to wildfires ?

Some parts are, just have to look at the maps with noted closures

tko
04-17-2022, 08:56 AM
Right on! I smacked a huge bear out of there last year ,can’t wait to go back !

michelbeard
06-21-2022, 10:51 PM
Kind of off topic but still in the Bonaparte Plateau. Spent all of November in 3-28A trying to fill a bull moose LEH with my dad, tons of wolf sign ranging between Caribou road, Windy Lake, O'Connor lake road and Stuart lake. Fresh snow every day up there for the first 10 days of the hunt and the pack was in a different spot every day, probably a good 10-15 sets of tracks. Ran into the wolves twice but never got a shot.