PDA

View Full Version : Need Boots

Arctic Lake
04-01-2022, 04:44 PM
So I have quite a large bunion on my left big toe . I have a couple threads on the condition but have decided to postpone surgery for the time being .

Having said that I’m looking at buying new hiking boots as the two pairs I have are killing me !

Im thinking on a pair of wide fitting Keens or Hanwag Bunion boots .

I live in Greater Vancouver . Where is your go to place for the best boot fitting store ?

Im not too sure about MEC

Is Valhalla any good ? Which store would you recommend Vancouver or Abbotsford ?
Any others ?
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

BRvalley
04-01-2022, 05:03 PM
not familiar with the hanwag bunion boots, but for wide feet I would try on a set of wide kenetreks....best fitting boot i've put on, and if you measure your foot on a brannock, they can give you accurate sizing over the phone, also great service if you are ever travelling through PG

dru88
04-01-2022, 05:11 PM
I bought a pair of Hanwag s last year from valhala I found the store in Abby much better than the Van store and ended up buying my boots in Abby.Saying all that I received great service and sizing at Fjallraven in Van but they didn't have the Hanwag s I was after in my size.

whitlers
04-01-2022, 05:28 PM
VPO in Abbotsford is excellent. Hanwags are great boots.

high horse Hal
04-01-2022, 06:02 PM
Sounds like a straight forward answer if a surgery will fix the problem

Arctic Lake
04-01-2022, 06:07 PM
The surgeon told me this . “ You should only opt for surgery if you have tried all other options and can’t take the pain any longer “ If you have the surgery and have lasting side effects you will be miserable “ Best to try all options first.
I have upgraded my orthotics and that has been an improvement , but my boots are too narrow
Arctic Lake
Sounds like a straight forward answer if a surgery will fix the problem

Keta1969
04-01-2022, 06:27 PM
I have a bunion on my left foot behind the left toe. Have to pairs of Meindl the short one with the leather liner(Burma?) And just bought theDovre extremes. Both work well with the bunion. By the way my Doc told me the same thing.

Sitkaspruce
04-01-2022, 08:00 PM
Not sure how they fit, but Marks now sells Crispi Boots.

It seems they have a 25% off sale about every other day, so go see of they fit, then wait for them to go on sale. They are owned by CT, so don't worry about the price, they will go on sale.

https://www.marks.com/en/men/shoes/hiking-shoes-boots.html?lang=en;q1=c_mens_4209527937;q2=c_footw ear_3565747669;q3=c_hikers_3665149827;q4=CRISPI;x1 =c.category-level-1;x2=c.category-level-2;x3=c.category-level-3;x4=brand;lvp=1

Cheers

SS

bcsteve
04-01-2022, 08:17 PM

It seems they have a 25% off sale about every other day, so go see of they fit, then wait for them to go on sale. They are owned by CT, so don't worry about the price, they will go on sale.

https://www.marks.com/en/men/shoes/hiking-shoes-boots.html?lang=en;q1=c_mens_4209527937;q2=c_footw ear_3565747669;q3=c_hikers_3665149827;q4=CRISPI;x1 =c.category-level-1;x2=c.category-level-2;x3=c.category-level-3;x4=brand;lvp=1

Cheers

SS
Holy $hit! I thought my Hanwags were expensive.

Arctic Lake
04-01-2022, 08:24 PM
Good to know about what your doctor told you Keta ! Does Meindl have their own store ?
Arctic Lake

I have a bunion on my left foot behind the left toe. Have to pairs of Meindl the short one with the leather liner(Burma?) And just bought theDovre extremes. Both work well with the bunion. By the way my Doc told me the same thing.

Arctic Lake
04-01-2022, 08:25 PM
Thank You to all who have replied so far !
Arctic Lake

rageous
04-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Check out meindl Dovre MFS wide at Alpinestart in Vancouver.

check with them before heading there as stock is low.
They are a meindl dealer

Keta1969
04-01-2022, 08:53 PM
Good to know about what your doctor told you Keta ! Does Melinda’s have their own store ?
Arctic Lake

Don't know who carries them on the lower mainland. Good boots are very subjective. Everyone's feet are different. Try a few different makes on and try to get somebody that knows about fitting them. Be sure to ask about return policy. Generally if you take them home and only wear them indoors if they start to not feel right you can return them but clarify that first. I've only ever tried Kennetreks and Meindls and while the Kennetreks were good and lasted as long as my Meindls they were about a 95% as far as fit goes(for MY feet) compared to the Meindls. I can't say I regretted buying them but wasn't upset when I retired them.

Planer99
04-01-2022, 09:54 PM
Have you tried taking the boots you have to a shoe repair outfit and having the bunion area stretched out? Or even purchasing a stretching unit yourself...I have had luck doing this with shoes and boots.

Treed
04-02-2022, 12:17 AM
I use Scarpa, which won’t help you because they are narrow, but don’t buy gore-tex if you can find high quality leather boots that fit. As long as you look after them, they will be as waterproof as gore-tex and last longer. I’ve been told that Italian boots are typically narrow, so maybe give meindl a try.

digger dogger
04-02-2022, 05:38 AM
I use Scarpa, which won’t help you because they are narrow, but don’t buy gore-tex if you can find high quality leather boots that fit. As long as you look after them, they will be as waterproof as gore-tex and last longer. I’ve been told that Italian boots are typically narrow, so maybe give meindl a try.

Yup, scarpa’s are a narrow fitting boot.
As I’ve aged, Boots are seemingly more narrow, or my feet are getting wider.

HappyJack
04-02-2022, 06:05 AM

Last longer than goretex boots? I have a pair of gortex boots that are over 10 years long in the tooth and still working wonderfully. Not disputing ya, can you relate the experience that brought you to that conclusion?

bighornbob
04-02-2022, 07:04 AM
This is what I did but I also found a online code for an additional 10% off at checkout.

Cheers

SS

Jereky
04-02-2022, 07:08 AM
MEC has a great return policy. Or used to at least. No questions asked.

orest.06
04-02-2022, 07:39 AM
I have wide feet so Rocky Boots online filled the bill with camo hunting nonslip EE boots and EE knee high waterproof Snakeboots. Great fit with room for heavy socks too! Comfy & dry. Much cheaper than Cabela’s or Red Wing.

TyTy
04-02-2022, 09:28 AM
I’m going to check out Yaggers down in he states for boots.

Also, https://hoffmanboots.com/

high horse Hal
04-02-2022, 10:06 AM
The surgeon told me this . “ You should only opt for surgery if you have tried all other options and can’t take the pain any longer “ If you have the surgery and have lasting side effects you will be miserable “ Best to try all options first.
I have upgraded my orthotics and that has been an improvement , but my boots are too narrow
Arctic LakeNo experience myself, just judging by a family s episode and relief after. She was warned about a proper recovery practices and kept to a strict regime and is all smiles and giggles, glad to be pain free.

too remember about buying wider boots , that both are wider, so may have fit issues on the good side
What ever you do to ese the pain , life will be a whole lot better
Have had my own problems by too much time in shoes with poor support
now even house shoes are correct

Arctic Lake
04-02-2022, 10:29 AM
Pain free is good ! When your in pain it takes away from your general well being ! We all have different thresholds with pain as well.It’s too bad you can’t mix boot sizes if one foot is a tad too short . If this next pair of boots don’t cut it I’m going custom made .
Arctic Lake
No experience myself, just judging by a family s episode and relief after. She was warned about a proper recovery practices and kept to a strict regime and is all smiles and giggles, glad to be pain free.

too remember about buying wider boots , that both are wider, so may have fit issues on the good side
What ever you do to ese the pain , life will be a whole lot better
Have had my own problems by too much time in shoes with poor support
now even house shoes are correct

Arctic Lake
04-02-2022, 07:25 PM
Bought a pair of AKU SuperAlps GTX boots that have a Goretex Liner today after trying on a few different brands . 2 different Hanwags as well .
Going to wear them around the house for a week and see how they do .
Thanks to all for suggestions !
Arctic Lake

Treed
04-02-2022, 08:55 PM
Last longer than goretex boots? I have a pair of gortex boots that are over 10 years long in the tooth and still working wonderfully. Not disputing ya, can you relate the experience that brought you to that conclusion?

I have a friend who was the lead gortex guy for one of the major high end outdoor clothing companies in Canada, he advised not to get a gortex lined boot because the gortex is prone to splits and getting clogged with salts from sweating feet. My experience with high quality leather boots is that they won’t leak if they are well care for. I just got new scarpas after almost 10 years in my old ones and never had wet feet. Be good to hear others opinions on their experience with/without gortex.

whitlers
04-02-2022, 10:29 PM
Bought a pair of AKU SuperAlps GTX boots that have a Goretex Liner today after trying on a few different brands . 2 different Hanwags as well .
Arctic Lake

My uncle just got a pair of AKU's. He likes them. Hope it works out for you.

Duckman
04-03-2022, 12:21 AM
Arctic Lake

Which store(s) have AKU in BC? I have never seen them except online.

Arctic Lake
04-03-2022, 08:56 AM
Thank You !
Arctic Lake
My uncle just got a pair of AKU's. He likes them. Hope it works out for you.

Arctic Lake
04-03-2022, 08:59 AM
Duckman. They have them at Valhalla in Abbotsford and probably in Vancouver . I think Altitude Sports also .
Arctic Lake
Which store(s) have AKU in BC? I have never seen them except online.

whitegoat
04-24-2022, 09:58 AM
I have been on the hunt for boots for awhile now as well. I found Meindl has the widest toe box so far and have tried Zamerlan guides, Hanwag Yukons, Arcteryx Acrux and a few Crispi's.

Arctic Lake
05-27-2022, 11:52 AM
Okay fellas last set of boots I bought at Valhalla Pure did not make the grade for my bunion problem so gave them a good try in the house but had to return them .
Im looking specifically for Mens Hanwag Bunion Boots I think they are the Tatra 11 model size I think I need is 12.5 . I have tried everywhere in the LowerMainland no luck ! Anyone know where else to look for these ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Planer99
05-28-2022, 01:19 AM
Try contacting Larry at fishers hardware in Vernon....he carries hanwags and maybe able to order the ones you are after.

Arctic Lake
05-28-2022, 09:12 AM
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

Try contacting Larry at fishers hardware in Vernon....he carries hanwags and maybe able to order the ones you are after.

The Hermit
05-28-2022, 09:55 PM
You might also want to consult an orthotist as he/she might have a recommendation about which boots are good for them to work with in customizing the boot as best as possible to your specific issue. Hope you can staving off the surgery.