PDA

View Full Version : Bill 14, Affecting future opportunity

rageous
04-01-2022, 11:07 AM
In regards to Bill 14 inquiring with a NDP minister MLA.

Will this have anything positive for a BC resident hunter?

“Thank you for reaching out to our office.

Bill 14 (https://www.leg.bc.ca/Pages/BCLASS-Legacy.aspx#%2Fcontent%2Fdata%2520-%2520ldp%2Fpages%2F42nd3rd%2F1st_read%2Fgov14-1.htm) – also known as the Wildlife Amendment Act 2022 – is a piece of legislation introduced by the Government to ensure greater collaboration and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples in the management of wildlife in the province. The legislation introduces a requirement to consider Indigenous Knowledge and establishes a process by which the Province can align its laws with protocol hunting agreements and traditions that have long existed.

For the first time, the legislation is being amended to integrate Indigenous perspectives as we move toward better co-management of wildlife. As a result, the culture and traditions of Indigenous people based on observations and interactions with the environment can be respected and incorporated when decisions about wildlife management are being made under the Wildlife Act.

All in all, this Government recognizes that these are early first steps towards reconciliation on wildlife and habitat stewardship with Indigenous Peoples. It is also part of our work towards more comprehensive changes to bring the Wildlife Act into alignment with United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, as committed to in Section 3 of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.

The bill has not yet passed (see here (https://www.leg.bc.ca/parliamentary-business/legislation-debates-proceedings/42nd-parliament/3rd-session/bills/progress-of-bills) for progress of bills before the legislature). It has received a second reading, and is currently at the Committee stage in the legislative process.

Hope this helps.”

Walking Buffalo
04-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Here is the recent thread on Bill 14.

Indigenous Privilege in Peace 7B (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?169146-Indigenous-Privilege-in-Peace-7B)

Good to keep the issue in the spotlight,
Good read the other thread for lots of information.

Rob Chipman
04-01-2022, 12:16 PM
Bill 14 amendments to the Wildlife Act are not the same as what just happened in 7B. Don't confuse the two. That's part of why the recent Liberal downhill didn't get such good reviews. The Liberals aren't well informed on this.

Bill 14 amendments are a step in the right direction. Sheltering and hosting has been going on for a long time and won't be stopping anytime soon and addressing some aspects of that in the Wildlife Act may not be perfect, but they help. Indigenous knowledge is tricky, but the principle of incorporating it into wildlife decisions is, on balance, a good one. Imagine how the recent 7B cluster**** *could* have been handled if Indigenous knowledge had played more of a role.

J_T
04-01-2022, 12:30 PM
Bill 14 amendments to the Wildlife Act are not the same as what just happened in 7B. Don't confuse the two. That's part of why the recent Liberal downhill didn't get such good reviews. The Liberals aren't well informed on this.

Bill 14 amendments are a step in the right direction. Sheltering and hosting has been going on for a long time and won't be stopping anytime soon and addressing some aspects of that in the Wildlife Act may not be perfect, but they help. Indigenous knowledge is tricky, but the principle of incorporating it into wildlife decisions is, on balance, a good one. Imagine how the recent 7B cluster**** *could* have been handled if Indigenous knowledge had played more of a role.

Yes, agree. It's unfortunate that during the Liberal Townhall, the discussion of Bill 14 was not 'separated' from the issues facing Region 7B. They aren't really linked, but many on the call, including the Liberal caucus felt the two were linked. As such, they collectively voted against a bill (14), which may lead to clarifying Indigenous pursuit of the wildlife resource and quite possibly their harvest numbers. Something we as resident hunters have been asking for. It isn't that one Government is better than the other, it's about how we keep moving in the right direction for wildlife, habitat and hunters regardless of who is in power.

IronNoggin
04-01-2022, 01:07 PM
... Bill 14 amendments are a step in the right direction.

Not if the applied Traditional Knowledge is cloaked in secrecy as the Liberals are insinuating.
Time will tell...

I worked under a co-management regime when I lived in the Arctic.
There, Traditional Knowledge played a large part of our management of resources, and it was effective.
But that knowledge was made front and center on public display at each occasion.
I am not convinced the same will hold true under Conroy's Bill.
In fact I do not trust her one whit.

Nog

HappyJack
04-09-2022, 01:20 PM
Not if the applied Traditional Knowledge is cloaked in secrecy as the Liberals are insinuating.
Time will tell...

I worked under a co-management regime when I lived in the Arctic.
There, Traditional Knowledge played a large part of our management of resources, and it was effective.
But that knowledge was made front and center on public display at each occasion.
I am not convinced the same will hold true under Conroy's Bill.
In fact I do not trust her one whit.

Nog

Agreed, Conroy seems to be operating under her own mandates more than anything else.

dakoda62
04-09-2022, 03:12 PM
If an indian is mentioned then it's not good for hunters

Bugle M In
04-09-2022, 04:11 PM
If an indian is mentioned then it's not good for hunters
That’s not a fair statement.
There are plenty of FN who see issues as well and yes, from their perspective much of the time.
But many just want to make some issues better.
Its no different bin out world.
Plenty of good people but amongst them are individuals that want more power and more money.

high horse Hal
04-09-2022, 09:22 PM
I see you communicate with MLA Sandhu, same response here

In regards to Bill 14 inquiring with a NDP minister MLA.

Will this have anything positive for a BC resident hunter?

“Thank you for reaching out to our office.

Bill 14 (https://www.leg.bc.ca/Pages/BCLASS-Legacy.aspx#%2Fcontent%2Fdata%2520-%2520ldp%2Fpages%2F42nd3rd%2F1st_read%2Fgov14-1.htm) – also known as the Wildlife Amendment Act 2022 – is a piece of legislation introduced by the Government to ensure greater collaboration and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples in the management of wildlife in the province. The legislation introduces a requirement to consider Indigenous Knowledge and establishes a process by which the Province can align its laws with protocol hunting agreements and traditions that have long existed.

For the first time, the legislation is being amended to integrate Indigenous perspectives as we move toward better co-management of wildlife. As a result, the culture and traditions of Indigenous people based on observations and interactions with the environment can be respected and incorporated when decisions about wildlife management are being made under the Wildlife Act.

All in all, this Government recognizes that these are early first steps towards reconciliation on wildlife and habitat stewardship with Indigenous Peoples. It is also part of our work towards more comprehensive changes to bring the Wildlife Act into alignment with United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, as committed to in Section 3 of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.

The bill has not yet passed (see here (https://www.leg.bc.ca/parliamentary-business/legislation-debates-proceedings/42nd-parliament/3rd-session/bills/progress-of-bills) for progress of bills before the legislature). It has received a second reading, and is currently at the Committee stage in the legislative process.

Hope this helps.”

walks with deer
04-10-2022, 06:33 AM
If an idiot is mentioned then it's not good for hunters

As per your comments.

walks with deer
04-10-2022, 06:35 AM
There are many native harvesters that have more harvest ethic and wildlife goals than you have ever seen do you know any native harvesters cheifs elders ect? I know some real leaders

Rob Chipman
04-10-2022, 10:28 AM

You may be right, but let's not make the mistake of banking on what the Liberals are insinuating. They are far from the best source of information on this file as I think you know.

There is explicit language in the bill that can allow for future decisions that include Indigenous knowledge to keep the specific Indigenous knowledge hidden but....I haven't exactly heard anyone celebrating how BC government fish, wildlife and habitat decisions are made in a transparent manner now.

I mean, this whole 7B upset is based on the government making decisions in the complete absence of transparency, no? The Bill 14 amendments cover more than the inclusion of Indigenous knowledge, and contain clear positives. Again, today, right now, we already don't have sufficiently transparent decision making.

IronNoggin
04-10-2022, 11:25 AM
There is explicit language in the bill that can allow for future decisions that include Indigenous knowledge to keep the specific Indigenous knowledge hidden but....

You can be optimistic.
I am not quite to the cautiously optimistic stage on this one.

Due to the 7B fiasco, I trust the current government much less than any other.
Combining that with the potential of intentionally hidden influences gives me pause...

Nog

Bugle M In
04-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Yes, I would like to say that I lean towards the err of caution as well.
All depends who the “ players” are, imo

Rob Chipman
04-10-2022, 05:08 PM
You're both misreading me. The clause that allows the decision maker to keep the Indigenous knowledge confidential is clearly wording that can be gamed. We all see that.

My point is simple: do we really have enough bandwidth to worry about everything, not just present problems and challenges, but potential future ones as well? I'd say "Nope, we do not. Sufficient unto the day the evil thereof, so let's cross the bridge of Indigenous knowledge being kept confidential in a malicious way when we get to it".

In the meantime, what's the big threat of this hypothetical future where decision making isn't transparent? Is it that *future* decision making won't be transparent? Isn't that the current situation? I'd argue that it is, and that we have more than enough to worry about on that score.

So it's not a case of me being optimistic.

It's a case of me saying "We already have a huge pile of dirt in front of us that needs to be moved. Let's get that sorted first. That future pile you're worried about? It may never appear, especially if we get this current one cleared away".

Retiredguy
04-11-2022, 02:59 PM
Well there is no way in hell that I trust the NDP as far as I could throw the whole NDP Caucus. They seem prone to conducting behind closed door meetings, and their closed door meetings to do with the issues in question are not just leaving resident licensed hunters shaking their heads and demanding that things be done in a more transparent fashion. I have talked to some First Nations people I know who are just as perturbed about the situation. They are not in agreement with much of what is being proposed and further more they are very concerned about the optics and how it is being perceived by all of the people that may be affected by the decisions that are arrived at.

I am hoping that all of the backlash the NDP has received will force them to become more transparent and open up the negotiations that are taking place to better input from all of the potentially affected user groups. In my mind, the best we can hope for is that an agreement is arrived at which put our fish, wildlife and habitat first, followed by a blueprint of acceptable management practices, including the portioning of annual allowable harvest by all of the user groups. Something that all of us can live with going forward. If it is done right it could become something that is used and viewed much like a court precedent as we move forward with the very long list of First Nations land use disputes that lay ahead of us.

I realize it is pie in the sky, but something has be established that we can all live with. There is no going back and the highest courts in the land have made decisions that clearly state what First Nations and Metis people have the right to regarding their use of our fish and wildlife. I think everyone just wants a fair shake and everyone wants the discussion to be transparent. We all deserve that.

Rob Chipman
04-11-2022, 03:16 PM
^^^^ You're not wrong.

I wouldn't necessarily call your hope for the future pie in the sky. Obviously the Devil is in the details, but there's no question in my mind that the only lasting solution to our wildlife problems is one that is transparent and gives everyone a fair shake. The current government isn't demonstrating an understanding of that, and I can understand your frustration with the NDP.

However...the Liberals voted 100% in favour of DRIPA. They made behind door, non-transparent deals. They played a huge role in driving fish, wildlife and habitat into the ditch.

Maybe choosing the guys who are out of power as a solution to our problems isn't the magic bullet some think it is. The problem may be bigger, and it may not be centered so much on First Nations or political parties, but other stakeholders (bureaucrats and corporations).

Retiredguy
04-11-2022, 03:22 PM
No worries Rob...I have no use for the Liberals either. What the hell is wrong with the people in this province anyways? No provincial Conservative party, at least not one that is functional/viable. Truly it is like being caught between a rock and a hard place when your only two choices both suck!

Redthies
04-12-2022, 06:43 AM
No worries Rob...I have no use for the Liberals either. What the hell is wrong with the people in this province anyways? No provincial Conservative party, at least not one that is functional/viable. Truly it is like being caught between a rock and a hard place when your only two choices both suck!

Well said! When your “conservative” choice is the LIBERAL party, you’re in deep shit!

HappyJack
04-12-2022, 08:19 AM
There are many native harvesters that have more harvest ethic and wildlife goals than you have ever seen do you know any native harvesters cheifs elders ect? I know some real leaders

There are definitely way less native harvesters than resident hunters, but really the trains [and predators] kill more moose than all the hunters combined. Seems to me that the current 'science' isn't addressing where the real problems are, they seem to be more intent on turning hunters of all stripes against each other.

Bugle M In
04-12-2022, 08:40 AM
Yes, some are saying, I trust the NDP less than anyone else involved in this situation or any for that matter.
I also don’t hold much hope for the Libersls also on most all the other issues we face as well.
Again, if we want to see a real push to make it better, it’s going to take members to get in the inside of politics.
And I really do hope I am wrong, but I give us about 20 more years before we don’t start to recognize any of our heritage any longer.