PDA

View Full Version : How to train a Hunting dog

krisjay89
03-28-2022, 08:24 PM
Hey everyone, looking for advice on how to train a puppy to become a dog for the back country hunts. He is half German Shepard half sheep dog , want him to be able to stay quiete and close especially on stalks , any advice and training tips would be great !

Thanks

Redthies
03-28-2022, 09:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?15-Hunting-Dogs

You might find good info in the “hunting dog” section?! :mrgreen:

decker9
03-29-2022, 06:57 AM
Iv put a lot of time into a few dogs, I couldn’t imagine myself going on a backpack trip without 1 or 2. the work to get them there is long and hard, but the reward is priceless.

My best training tool for stalking, was bears. We’d stalk every bear we seen pretty much. Talking calmly and using hand signals were my main tools I think. There were lots of blown stalks, but in the end it all paid off.

Time and persistence , and everybody on the same page, is the best advice I can give. Strangers and kids can unknowingly hinder your training pretty fast.

My older dog, was a handful. Lots of anxiety and energy. I almost gave up on her. What ended up really helping was a dog pack. She was 100% a different dog when the pack came out.

mastercaster
03-30-2022, 05:53 AM
As mentioned it does take time to train the dog to walk at a heel position quietly through the woods and for the dog not to pull on the leash while glassing,,,,and especially shooting. If the dog pulls on you at all your POI is going to be off target. It would be nice if you could keep the dog off leash, especially if he/she has good manners, but it's illegal in BC not to have your dog on a leash when hunting anything other than birds, small game, and cats. Not sure about bears because I don't hunt them. No ungulates, though.