PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Questionnaire

rageous
03-24-2022, 08:32 AM
Why is the questionnaire not for all species? Or at least
specifically what tags you purchased?

Supposedly moose are a big concern as of late but no request for data for myself.

Imdone
03-24-2022, 08:36 AM
Until all are required to report, how is it remotely possible for sound management.
This government wildlife management is a complete joke.
Oh the new TOGETHER FOR WILDLIFE really works now doesn't it.

MRP
03-24-2022, 10:26 AM
BC hunters are about 2% of the province. And the other 98% don’t care. And half of them live in the western half of the lower waste land, ruffly 00.05% of the land in the province.

Grizzlydick
03-24-2022, 10:54 AM
its job security for the office staff. as well as the paper shredder company. could be wrong, wish i am. but.......

HighCountryBC
03-24-2022, 11:29 AM
The questionnaire does provide valuable information to our regional biologists. You're not doing anyone a favour by not answering it accurately.

jjsachmoe
03-24-2022, 12:06 PM
It would be smarter as a whole if the questionnaire also asked what animals you saw as well and where. That way they could get an actual accurate picture of animal populations. And it would ensure the employment of all the data pushers. I find that I see a lot more animals than I can kill. I tried the moose tracker application on the phone but it was a complete joke.

J_T
03-24-2022, 12:36 PM
We know, collecting the information online is much more efficient than the paper-based reporting system. In part, the sooner hunters adapt and do it online, the more flexibility there is in what data we collect. Linking the "hunt & harvest" reporting (questionnaire) to the purchase of your next years license is in line with a science-based approach. As a start, by making sure the information is in fact collected. An online hunt and harvest report allows other data about one's hunt to be collected. IE the start of citizen science. Accuracy in reporting without compromising someone's hunting location is important.

Could be in our future.

swampthing
03-24-2022, 05:44 PM
My questioner is based on the tags I bought. Nothing less or more

Bigdoggdon
03-24-2022, 07:18 PM
Very rarely does my questionnaire list all species that I bought tags for, usually just get asked about 2 or 3 which seems odd.

tigrr
03-24-2022, 07:21 PM
It makes no sense if all shooters/hunters don't report the kills.
And we know that won't happen. Tough watching 5 cow moose get hauled away by FN in the back of pickups one year.
CO came out and picked up empty cases on the road saying it was shot illegally but wouldn't go to court because the Prosecutor would toss it first(non winner).

ACE
03-24-2022, 07:35 PM
The questionnaire does provide valuable information to our regional biologists.

The Regional Biologist's expertise and research is discarded by the Premier. eg. sustainable G-bear hunts in BC, allotting day/night 24/7 hunting to racial groups, etc.
The questionaire is pointless and insulting.

HappyJack
03-24-2022, 07:40 PM
The questionnaire does provide valuable information to our regional biologists. You're not doing anyone a favour by not answering it accurately.

It tell them how many moose we shoot in an area, like 1200 in the Peace, so they know that to cut it 50% they only target 600 moose to be harvested. We should have all lied and said we took 12000?

HappyJack
03-24-2022, 07:45 PM
It would be smarter as a whole if the questionnaire also asked what animals you saw as well and where. That way they could get an actual accurate picture of animal populations. And it would ensure the employment of all the data pushers. I find that I see a lot more animals than I can kill. I tried the moose tracker application on the phone but it was a complete joke.

Would be more useful information for them, and as a bonus they would know exactly where to plan their hunts. [sarcasm] I think they rely far too much on those stupid questionnaires, they should put more effort into actual field work. At least that way they could see for themselves how many wolves are out there.

dellis
03-25-2022, 08:13 AM
As long as we have a "management system" that ignores science, and forms policy based on race and politics, what is the point of wasting time filling out surveys?

Asking for a friend.......

Darcy

Shaughnles
03-28-2022, 06:10 PM
I agree with the questionnaire being done when purchasing licenses. If they asked questions about variety of game and predators seen in whichever units being hunted would be good as well. Unfortunately I know more that one hunter that throws their questionnaire in the garbage every year. For some reason they feel like it's none of the government's business if the shoot anything. Regardless of anyone's feelings towards wildlife management in this province (which is shit). The more information they have to go off of the more educated decisions they can make.

IronNoggin
03-29-2022, 01:12 PM
... The more information they have to go off of the more educated decisions they can make.

Given their actions of late, I find that highly doubtful...

Nog

IronNoggin
03-30-2022, 01:56 PM
The one they sent this year was pretty much a waste of time for both parties.

Did you hunt / kill wolves? NO

Did you hunt / kill upland game birds? NO

Nada about any of the species I had tags for.

Sent it back on their dime rather than doing it online.

Nog

Bugle M In
03-31-2022, 12:16 AM
I fill them out as I feel it’s my responsibility to do so.
That being said though, I agree it appears to be garbage in, garbage out when only one user group is expected to fill them out.
I watched guides for salmon take dna samples and fill out a lot more on the paper for info and it has done nothing to get the feds to listen.
I feel the the same about this as well.

They should start spending more effort restoring habitat and growing game and stop worrying about what the hell I am doing!!

Bernie O
04-01-2022, 07:51 AM
I have filled them out faithfully all my hunting life. Due to the current governments attitude towards us I have stopped doing anything that is not required by law.

J_T
04-01-2022, 07:58 AM
When filing on paper, there is nothing stopping anyone from attaching a much more detailed statement of your beliefs, observations, results and recommendations. Government staff acknowledge that they receive lengthy additions to the harvest questionnaire.

It's another option to getting your message toward things that matter.

Bugle M In
04-01-2022, 08:20 AM
When filing on paper, there is nothing stopping anyone from attaching a much more detailed statement of your beliefs, observations, results and recommendations. Government staff acknowledge that they receive lengthy additions to the harvest questionnaire.

Okay, thanks.
I never liked the WT because I don’t really target them and usually pass them up
I probably will add to it then

hawk-i
04-01-2022, 08:28 AM

I do this often.

However, after doing so I NO longer get drawn for any LEH's I apply for....kinda makes you go Hmmmmm????

Arctic Lake
04-01-2022, 09:38 AM
I often wonder about the LEH on species it makes for a hell of a conspiracy topic . We need to find a whistle blower if there is any hanky panky !
Arctic Lake
I do this often.

However, after doing so I NO longer get drawn for any LEH's I apply for....kinda makes you go Hmmmmm????

J_T
04-01-2022, 09:49 AM
I often wonder about the LEH on species it makes for a hell of a conspiracy topic . We need to find a whistle blower if there is any hanky panky !
Arctic Lake
Hah, like we need another conspiracy theory on here. :) Might need to rename the site, "ConspiracyBC".

JAGRMEISTER
04-16-2022, 09:48 AM
i have been surveyed every year for every species i bought tags for! Rnadom? not ****ing likely!

warnniklz
04-16-2022, 10:04 AM
I fill mine out accurately every year and still pull LEH's regularly (but I've probably just jinxed myself)

Problem is, if I've hunted an area for 5 days and didn't kill something, doesn't mean I didn't pass up a whole lot of legal animals. So I think that part is flawed. Either get rid of number of days hunted or add how many animals you've seen.

hunterdon
04-16-2022, 10:42 AM
Problem is, if I've hunted an area for 5 days and didn't kill something, doesn't mean I didn't pass up a whole lot of legal animals. So I think that part is flawed.

Good point warnniklz (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?17844-warnniklz)

When I received the questionnaire 2 seasons ago, they requested a response by a certain date. Problem was the legal season for some of the species still had 2 months to go. I.E cougar/wolf season. Of course I did not fill out the questionnaire as it certainly would be erroneous. Then they sent me an unflattering email suggesting that I was not a good sport. Paraphrasing here. That's when I go a little flustered and shot back an unflattering response of my own pointing out that there was absolutely no point of a questionnaire that did not reflect a true report, that is IF they wanted the truth.

Eventually they did respond back saying that it would be acceptable to report at the close of the hunting season, which I did. Of course, I did have several here on this site that suggested I just give in and send the completed form regardless of the continuing season closing date.

So, what's the point if it's not accurate? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this situation. Seems to me like it's just another job creation by the government to spend OUR money.

J_T
04-16-2022, 02:41 PM
Problem is, if I've hunted an area for 5 days and didn't kill something, doesn't mean I didn't pass up a whole lot of legal animals. So I think that part is flawed.

This is a very valid point. They could be asking a series of questions around what we saw. Legal and otherwise. This makes a good case for the hunting of mature animals. How many did you pass up.over time this, combined with other corroborating data increases knowledge about among other things, population numbers, health. ..

LBM
04-16-2022, 05:42 PM
This is a very valid point. They could be asking a series of questions around what we saw. Legal and otherwise. This makes a good case for the hunting of mature animals. How many did you pass up.over time this, combined with other corroborating data increases knowledge about among other things, population numbers, health. ..

In a perfect world more questions may help but since some have all ready said on dealing with other questionnaires that they will answer in ways to swing things in there favor, more faulty answers may hurt wildlife more.

J_T
04-16-2022, 05:44 PM
^^ yes, and therein lies the concern of government. Data analysis is only as good as the quality of the data.

fishhunt
04-16-2022, 10:33 PM
The questionnaire is a great campfire starter.

HappyJack
04-17-2022, 07:47 AM
I fill mine out accurately every year and still pull LEH's regularly (but I've probably just jinxed myself)

Problem is, if I've hunted an area for 5 days and didn't kill something, doesn't mean I didn't pass up a whole lot of legal animals. So I think that part is flawed. Either get rid of number of days hunted or add how many animals you've seen.

Correct. And then what is accurate when you are hunting for deer in an area that has only a few moose? But your moose tag is still valid and there is a season for spike forks? Was that a 5 day moose and deer hunt or just a 5 day deer hunt? The number of days hunted seems to be a boondoggle question.

Avalanche123
04-17-2022, 09:05 AM
Correct. And then what is accurate when you are hunting for deer in an area that has only a few moose? But your moose tag is still valid and there is a season for spike forks? Was that a 5 day moose and deer hunt or just a 5 day deer hunt? The number of days hunted seems to be a boondoggle question.

The questionnaire has not changed in a long time. Its a relic from days gone by. Its too bad the Ministry of Environment doesn't have a better platform for engaging hunters and demonstrate better accountability.

Bugle M In
04-17-2022, 11:24 AM
The questionnaire has not changed in a long time. Its a relic from days gone by. Its too bad the Ministry of Environment doesn't have a better platform for engaging hunters and demonstrate better accountability.
Yup.

And there is plenty of comments on here and in previous threads on how to make it better.
Totally lacks one direct user group all together as well.

As far as Minustry Accountabilty, I doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime and by then,
there won’t be anything to report.

Avalanche123
04-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Yup.

And there is plenty of comments on here and in previous threads on how to make it better.
Totally lacks one direct user group all together as well.

As far as Minustry Accountabilty, I doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime and by then,
there won’t be anything to report.

Knowing how govt doesn't work, its a top down problem....the govt executive has a whole different agenda than the Regional bio....who has to follow direction. It is near impossible to implement change,,,,,we need to capture the ear of the Auditor General. Any recommendations that come out of an OAG audit has teeth.

This thread has four pages....the COVID thread...I can't keep up...what a waste of good energy. Crazy priorities :(

Bugle M In
04-18-2022, 01:45 AM
^^^^^
Nothing more I can add then yup again :-P

JAGRMEISTER
04-18-2022, 11:58 AM
every year ! i buy a tag i get surveyed for the tags! Nothing else! For about 40 ****ing years/////

JAGRMEISTER
04-18-2022, 11:59 AM
tigrr, it is in no way illegal for FN to harvest cow moose in any quantity!

HappyJack
04-18-2022, 06:35 PM
every year ! i buy a tag i get surveyed for the tags! Nothing else! For about 40 ****ing years/////

Something wrong with that picture, who did you piss off? Did you ever write them and ask them to explain how that could happen?

HappyJack
04-18-2022, 06:37 PM
tigrr, it is in no way illegal for FN to harvest cow moose in any quantity!

It should be, some of the bands have signs posted all over saying to not shoot cow moose. I guess they aren't all the same if some random guy can see 5 cow moose in the back of one truck?

TyTy
04-18-2022, 07:16 PM
I’m pretty sure the game managers compile the results of these surveys then hand them over to the politicians who then look to spin ways to reduce hunter opportunity.

Anyone seeing MORE opportunities since the NDP got in??

J_T
04-18-2022, 08:24 PM
^^ my observations would be there is a distinct disconnect between some ministries on the operation al side and an overall disconnect to the political decision universe.

Bugle M In
04-18-2022, 11:52 PM
Only way I can sum it up is that it’s all one big disconnect at the high up government levels.
Be it our wildlife here on BC on a provincial level or be it salmon/steelhead on a federal level.
I see many talented knowledgeable people littered all over this province that have great ideas and papers in hand to back them up being totally disregarded or totally avoided.
Its starts at the top and it does not seem to matter who is in charge.
I am at a total loss as to what it would take or had to happen for things to change.

HappyJack
04-19-2022, 08:15 AM
Only way I can sum it up is that it’s all one big disconnect at the high up government levels.
Be it our wildlife here on BC on a provincial level or be it salmon/steelhead on a federal level.
I see many talented knowledgeable people littered all over this province that have great ideas and papers in hand to back them up being totally disregarded or totally avoided.
Its starts at the top and it does not seem to matter who is in charge.
I am at a total loss as to what it would take or had to happen for things to change.

It would take a leader that is an avid hunter and fisherman, someone with enough backbone to steer their party to make positive changes to how things work. They would have to put ministers in place with a similar mindset, and follow up what they are doing to ensure they don't pull any stupid stunts like Conroy did. The only way to do that is join the political parties and vote for the appropriate leader, one that puts our objectives at the top of his/her list, not way down at the bottom just to garner the anti votes.

Bugle M In
04-19-2022, 09:57 AM
Yup,
we see exactly that happening right now with our current government, those at the top, and especially with our current minister of environment Heyman.
And sadly, after sitting in on that roundtable discussion, I don’t have much hope for the opposition member in the liberal party.
Not saying that person is as anti as Heyman, but I don’t think overly knowledgeable when it comes to hunting and anything else related to wildlife and habitat impacts.
I don’t see the future any brighter.
I look at the questionnaire as nothing more than paper pushing and keeping a few people in that department employed.
Nothing more, nothing less.