PDA

View Full Version : Horseback moose hunt experience?

Atlas12
03-21-2022, 11:33 PM
I'm kicking the tires on arranging a moose hunt for my father (68YO) and myself.

I don't think a full on guided hunt is necessary, but something with packers/outfitters who have a camp set up would be ideal.

I've heard nothing but great things about Steamboat Mountain Outfitters, and they tick all the boxes for us, EXCEPT that neither of us have any horse experience.

Few things would be worse than getting to camp totally worn out from riding horses in.

Does anyone have some horseback hunt experience to share?

Drillbit
03-22-2022, 12:00 AM
Awesome idea and hopefully you follow thru with it!
My Dad horseback hunted all over western Canada, and although I’ve ridden with him several times we’ve never gone on a overnight horseback hunt.

I know for me, not riding horses much, every hour in the saddle I walk for 10 min. Give everything a rest, loosen up your muscles and let your ass air out.
thats 50/10.

Steamboat will have great horses for you

dakoda62
03-22-2022, 05:39 AM
Check through some of my older posts on Tetsa River Outfitters

Bubbacanuck
03-22-2022, 07:39 AM
Blue creek outfitting might be a good option for you

Bubbacanuck
03-22-2022, 07:40 AM
Consider a fly in if concerned about horses

https://www.bcresidenthunting.com/hunting-cabins

Atlas12
03-22-2022, 09:44 AM
Consider a fly in if concerned about horses

https://www.bcresidenthunting.com/hunting-cabins

Trippy. I looked at the site and thought that someone else had built a bunch of cabins on the same lakes as Lars!

thanks a lot for the link. I’ve been trying to find it for a few days. Seems like they changed the name from Liard Tours to bc resident hunting. Good rebrand if you ask me.

Bubbacanuck
03-22-2022, 09:48 AM
Trippy. I looked at the site and thought that someone else had built a bunch of cabins on the same lakes as Lars!

thanks a lot for the link. I’ve been trying to find it for a few days. Seems like they changed the name from Liard Tours to bc resident hunting. Good rebrand if you ask me.

No worries at all! I hope you and your dad have the hunt of a lifetime! Good luck

Fella
03-22-2022, 10:57 AM
If you’re looking at region 6 or 7 those are all at risk of going on LEH for next season…

IronNoggin
03-22-2022, 11:07 AM
If you’re looking at region 6 or 7 those are all at risk of going on LEH for next season…

Going to LEH with 1/2 the number of moose tags (largest moose population in the Province) and an elimination of all Caribou hunting.

Simply so the Province can avoid costly habitat remediation, and can continue to permit the industry caused degradation / destruction of even more habitat.

Concerned?

While limited time remains to get an email or letter (or many of each) headed in the right direction, please note:

Today represents the FINAL DAY to get your comments in to the government survey!

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/close-peace-caribou-hunts-and-reduce-peace-moose-hunts-region-wide

If you haven't already, please do!!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

BCHunterFSJ
03-22-2022, 11:11 AM
Do some horseback riding before your trip to get used to it. Looking after the horses, packing them, feeding them, etc. is not easy unless you have a wrangler. Horses can be ornery critters as I found out the hard way!

Darksith
03-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Blue creek outfitting might be a good option for you

Blue Creek is shut down

walks with deer
03-22-2022, 12:46 PM
Going to LEH with 1/2 the number of moose tags (largest moose population in the Province) and an elimination of all Caribou hunting.

Simply so the Province can avoid costly habitat remediation, and can continue to permit the industry caused degradation / destruction of even more habitat.

Concerned?

While limited time remains to get an email or letter (or many of each) headed in the right direction, please note:

Today represents the FINAL DAY to get your comments in to the government survey!

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/close-peace-caribou-hunts-and-reduce-peace-moose-hunts-region-wide

If you haven't already, please do!!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

Agreed this should be every residents biggest concern today.

weatherbyjunkie
03-22-2022, 08:36 PM
I'm kicking the tires on arranging a moose hunt for my father (68YO) and myself.

I don't think a full on guided hunt is necessary, but something with packers/outfitters who have a camp set up would be ideal.

I've heard nothing but great things about Steamboat Mountain Outfitters, and they tick all the boxes for us, EXCEPT that neither of us have any horse experience.

Few things would be worse than getting to camp totally worn out from riding horses in.

Does anyone have some horseback hunt experience to share?

I have many-10 years worth or so. message sent

BCHunterTV
03-22-2022, 08:42 PM

I was told if not this year... 2 years. Not next year

BCHunterTV
03-22-2022, 08:43 PM
Ask for references from the last 2 years. Call them...and hear it for yourself. Also ask for pics.

I've used them before .

Bubbacanuck
03-23-2022, 02:57 PM
Blue Creek is shut down

Just doing training clinics now? No more ability to rent horses?

I still see there website is up & running and their FB page has recent updates on it. Doesn't look like they shut down completely

CheesyLimper
03-23-2022, 04:35 PM
Just doing training clinics now? No more ability to rent horses?

I still see there website is up & running and their FB page has recent updates on it. Doesn't look like they shut down completely

Last time I contacted Stan they weren't sending horses up north anymore.