PDA

View Full Version : Home based butcher in Lower Mainland?

dracb
03-21-2022, 07:27 PM
I have been offered a hind quarter of a moose that is frozen. Given that it is hard frozen I would like to find a butcher to reduce it to usable portions. The commercial butchers I have approached do not want to butcher game at this time of the year. Does anyone know of a home based butcher in the Lower Mainland who could be willing to undertake this job?
Thank you for viewing.
dracb

Arctic Lake
03-21-2022, 08:23 PM
Dracb. Are you saying it is a bone in hind quarter that was frozen whole ? I might be able to help you out depends where you live etc.
Arctic Lake

IslandWanderer
03-21-2022, 09:38 PM
Maybe buy some equipment and set up your own processing area. I had fun rounding up the stuff for our garage setup.

stixnstones
03-22-2022, 12:13 AM
Try the iron butcher maple ridge. Think he cuts game

Bubbacanuck
03-22-2022, 07:42 AM
Did you try Manny in Pitt Meadows? Country Meadows butcher? I’ve never known Manny to turn away business

HappyJack
03-22-2022, 07:47 AM
Where did the meat come from? Kind of unusual to be frozen whole like that.

walker1985
03-22-2022, 01:31 PM
Opening Day Game Cutting with Joshua Parks. I think he's in Abbotsford now.

crazy ducker
03-22-2022, 02:57 PM
Second opening day he did our frozen elk

dracb
03-22-2022, 08:46 PM
I want to thank every one for their suggestions.
dracb

Downtown
03-23-2022, 04:18 AM
I have been offered a hind quarter of a moose that is frozen. Given that it is hard frozen I would like to find a butcher to reduce it to usable portions. The commercial butchers I have approached do not want to butcher game at this time of the year. Does anyone know of a home based butcher in the Lower Mainland who could be willing to undertake this job?
Thank you for viewing.
dracb

Save your Money !

Hang the Quarter up for a few days then start cutting it up yourself, its not that Hard. A boning Knife is nice to have but for one Quarter I would just use whatever sharp knife is on hand. Butcher Paper would be good for wrapping but Ziplock Bags are fine too. Another Tool one should have is a Meat Grinder. Does not need to be Electric, a small hand cranked Cast Iron will do the Job just fine especially with such small amount of Meat.

Cheers

digger dogger
03-23-2022, 05:06 AM
Where did the meat come from? Kind of unusual to be frozen whole like that.
More than likely from the left or right side of the back end of a moose!

srthomas75
03-23-2022, 06:45 AM
not to sidetrack this thread but: Whenever a guy asks for a recommendation/ advice on butchering services, there is always a few comments/replies on getting setup to do the work themselves. [ I'm yet to see the thread title "what do I need to butcher at home" ]

horshur
03-23-2022, 06:58 AM
not to sidetrack this thread but: Whenever a guy asks for a recommendation/ advice on butchering services, there is always a few comments/replies on getting setup to do the work themselves. [ I'm yet to see the thread title "what do I need to butcher at home" ]
A knife, butcher paper and saran wrap. That is all you need.

Arctic Lake
03-23-2022, 07:20 AM
Some knowledge also helps ! Plenty of advice on YouTube . A grinder is helpful ! If more and more tags are allotted through LEH I might start to freelance
Arctic Lake

Bubbacanuck
03-23-2022, 07:29 AM

I am in the process of building out a butcher shop in my garage, spring project this year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167639-Butcher-Shop-Setup

Bought most equipment already: grinder, sausage stuffer, dehydrator, smoker, slicer, totes, gambrel, electric hoist...

Going to epoxy the floor of my garage, install a sink with a hose attachment. Last, just need a good stainless top table that can wheel away under shelving system I'm going to install.

IslandWanderer
03-23-2022, 08:25 AM
I am in the process of building out a butcher shop in my garage, spring project this year.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167639-Butcher-Shop-Setup

Bought most equipment already: grinder, sausage stuffer, dehydrator, smoker, slicer, totes, gambrel, electric hoist...

Going to epoxy the floor of my garage, install a sink with a hose attachment. Last, just need a good stainless top table that can wheel away under shelving system I'm going to install.

I found it a fun project in the off season. Here's what we've got so far. Bought almost all of it used for cheap, but it took a lot of time watching online to get deals. To be honest we've only used about have the items so far. My son and I have processed 6 deer in the 2 years we've owned the grinder, so we're slowly recouping the costs.

Small tre spade stuffer
1 hp weston grinder
Henkels butchering set
2 steel mesh gloves
Inexpensive meat band saw with backup grinder(King canada)
Meat saw
2 weston paper dispenser frames
2 weighed tape dispensers
Scale
2 nine tray excalibur dehydrators
Large wheeled charcoal fired smoker
Cabelas electric jerky gun
Folding tables/carts
Sausage and jerky makers bible.

Bubbacanuck
03-23-2022, 08:45 AM
I found it a fun project in the off season. Here's what we've got so far. Bought almost all of it used for cheap, but it took a lot of time watching online to get deals. To be honest we've only used about have the items so far. My son and I have processed 6 deer in the 2 years we've owned the grinder, so we're slowly recouping the costs.

Small tre spade stuffer
1 hp weston grinder
Henkels butchering set
2 steel mesh gloves
Inexpensive meat band saw with backup grinder(King canada)
Meat saw
2 weston paper dispenser frames
2 weighed tape dispensers
Scale
2 nine tray excalibur dehydrators
Large wheeled charcoal fired smoker
Cabelas electric jerky gun
Folding tables/carts
Sausage and jerky makers bible.

Sounds like a great start! I hope to post some photos of my new garage butcher shop setup in a couple months. I do a lot solo, so the electric hoist for dragging bears and deer out of my truck into my garage will be a back saver!! The weighted tape dispensers are a brilliant idea

dracb
03-23-2022, 01:09 PM
Save your Money !

Hang the Quarter up for a few days then start cutting it up yourself, its not that Hard. A boning Knife is nice to have but for one Quarter I would just use whatever sharp knife is on hand. Butcher Paper would be good for wrapping but Ziplock Bags are fine too. Another Tool one should have is a Meat Grinder. Does not need to be Electric, a small hand cranked Cast Iron will do the Job just fine especially with such small amount of Meat.

Cheers

Downtown,
I agree that would be ideal and if it were not frozen I would cut and grind at home. BUUUUUT knowing the wife, if I left the moose quarter hanging around (where she could see it) long enough to thaw, the moose would never get cooked unless I cooked it and then she would not eat it. That would be a shame because moose is her favorite meat. Sixty years ago when we were in college we ate probably 25 or 30 wild pigs over that ten year period. Those animals we butchered in our or a buddy's kitchen. Since then we have self butchered most of the more common North American big game and (+/-50 years ago) a variety of Central and South American beasties such as tepezcuintle, brocket deer, white tailed deer, peccaries, iguanas and one baird's tapir.

Along the way she has become rather particular about how she wants her meat handled and is not a fan of home aged meat. She is happiest, when as with the mule deer I took this year, it was shot in the morning and was in little brown packages and vacuum sealed plastic bags by the next morning. So my solution is to take this frozen moose to someone who will deal with it away from my home, it returns here in neat little brown packages and she has not watched the conversion process.
dracb