PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Spring Bear

Clickclickboom13
03-19-2022, 08:07 AM
With the nicer weather starting to show it's presence these days, I am eager to get back out to exploring the woods!

I am a newer hunter looking for any tips, hints or push in the right direction in trying to cut my first spring bear tag.

I have scouted quite a few areas over the past few years, with not much success in seeing signs of blackies. I have been out exploring areas around McCullough, Beaverdell, Oyama/Beaver lake, Terrace mountain area, etc... and have seen very little as far as signs go.

I enjoy the exploring, the hunt, and the beauty of the nature regardless of the outcome, but I would love to hear any ideas/suggestions on where would be a good area to start the hunt, or tips on which method works for you, or methods in which I could gain more success in my pursuit of these blackies!

Rayne
03-19-2022, 09:46 AM
Get to a vantage point and glass hill sides. If you find sign on the road your in the right area. Open up Google earth and look at the terrain see if you can find little side trails that they might be using to get around that intersect that section of road.

mike31154
03-19-2022, 09:56 AM
No lack of blackies pretty well anywhere in 8. Years ago I spotted one while on my dirt bike up around Oyama Lake. Also saw a couple young ones racing up a cut block in the Keefer Lake area. Haven't spotted one in a few years now, but do see plenty of sign on my hunts for ungulates. I'm in the North Okanagan so not too far to Region 3 and Region 4 is also an option although a bit more of a drive. I don't go after bear though, so not much help in any stalking advice etc. Seems like all you need is a bit of luck & to be in the right place at the right time.

high horse Hal
03-19-2022, 10:31 AM
Bear sightings are happening now in reg 8 , maybe something to do with the fall food supply being poor, last year was a bad berry crop in places.

Bear sign can be subtle, no doubt you have overlooked lots
Maybe go oiut earlier in the season, boars wake up first, when sows a re still nursing babies in the den
I first get out when the snow cover is still 50/50 , first green food is limited , so are bears
Then follow the snow line, territory expands as the openings get bigger

weatherbyjunkie
03-19-2022, 12:13 PM
Bear sightings are happening now in reg 8 , maybe something to do with the fall food supply being poor, last year was a bad berry crop in places.

Bear sign can be subtle, no doubt you have overlooked lots
Maybe go oiut earlier in the season, boars wake up first, when sows a re still nursing babies in the den
I first get out when the snow cover is still 50/50 , first green food is limited , so are bears
Then follow the snow line, territory expands as the openings get bigger

I had a spring Grizz draw in region 8 on the last year of the hunt. We went up scouting the area about 10-14 days before the season opened and were shocked to see fresh bear sign. get out there and start looking around. south slopes, south facing ditches. It seems lots of bear movement and sightings as May long weekend approaches and the boars are out searching for mates. That being said, boars will be out soon if not the odd ones already. we took our atvs as high as we could get them in the snow then snowshoed up roads. saw surprising amounts of sign. We also noticed that areas where the sun sneaks thru the trees and hits the ground will be bare early and will have green starting to pop up in areas otherwise blanketed with snow-those usually had bear sign close by.

HarryToolips
03-19-2022, 04:46 PM
As said above, South slopes are good to focus on, especially early in the bear season... they love roads that are quieter, focusing on dandelion and clover..I have heard they also feed on other roots of certain plants can someone confirm this?

If you see scat that means they've already been awake for a week or more, as it took them that long to rid of their fecal plug..

Vortex hunter
03-19-2022, 06:42 PM
Lots of Bears lurking around I prefer May lots lush green grass..vortex

white moose
03-19-2022, 09:56 PM
Been bear hunting a few times in the spring. 90% are on the logging roads. walking or driving.

HappyJack
03-20-2022, 08:39 AM
I bet they would respond well to calls, I've never tried it in the spring but it should bring them in on a run.

tigrr
03-20-2022, 08:37 PM
The thing with bears is every year is different. Some years it is the end of may before they start showing up and others it is the first week in may. Just be sure it is a boar not a sow with cubs. The sow will be looking around quite frequently. Glass for a bit before shooting. Unless it is on a spot all by itself.

srupp
03-20-2022, 08:47 PM
yes towards Beaverdell...yes to south facing slopes..yes to boars emerging first..further in away from ashphalt..think skidder trailes..log sort clearings...go COMPLETELY to the end of all skidder trails..bears in spring will be out all day long...biggest boars tend to be old boars who grow big and old by avoiding main roads middle of the day forays...
they are there..good luck..straight shooting
srupp

Rezpatrol
03-21-2022, 12:56 AM
Just drive every road in 8-5 at a high rate of speed as if not hunting they will suddenly appear

HarryToolips
03-21-2022, 07:07 AM
8-23 & 8-24 are good bets for bear in region 8 FYI..

high horse Hal
03-21-2022, 08:50 AM
Just drive every road in 8-5 at a high rate of speed as if not hunting they will suddenly appearThe correct speed for road scouting is critical ;)

huntingfamily
03-21-2022, 09:08 AM
The thing with bears is every year is different. Some years it is the end of may before they start showing up and others it is the first week in may. Just be sure it is a boar not a sow with cubs. The sow will be looking around quite frequently. Glass for a bit before shooting. Unless it is on a spot all by itself.

Very good point about watching for cubs. Always a good idea to watch for a bit if at all possible to ensure no cubs are nearby...

tko
03-21-2022, 02:55 PM
yes towards Beaverdell...yes to south facing slopes..yes to boars emerging first..further in away from ashphalt..think skidder trailes..log sort clearings...go COMPLETELY to the end of all skidder trails..bears in spring will be out all day long...biggest boars tend to be old boars who grow big and old by avoiding main roads middle of the day forays...
they are there..good luck..straight shooting
srupp

Take in the knowledge of this man he knows what he’s talking about

high horse Hal
05-03-2022, 09:19 AM
Zero action out Sugar Lk rd
no poop, one set of melted tracks coming down through some snow
just starting to green by the lake

RyoTHC
05-03-2022, 09:34 AM
Lots of action in zone 8, I’ve stalked two nice big boars I would have loved to seal the deal on, a couple smaller colour phase I passed on, and my hunting buddy took a nice Colour phase, all in 3 evening outings, surprisingly at a relatively high elevation. Zone 8 bordering zone 3.