PDA

View Full Version : White tailed ptarmigan hunt

DarrellF
03-15-2022, 10:06 AM
Hey Guys
I wasn’t fortunate enough to be born in a province with sheep so I figure the closest I’ll ever get to hunting one is white tailed and rock ptarmigan hunt . From what I’ve read I am able to purchase a non resident small game license to hunt in BC . I’ve contacted a flight charter to get me into a remote lake close to tree line to hunt them . I’ve been successful with willow ptarmigan in Ontario so am just looking for the other two species now . I’m trying to hunt all upland bird species in North America , I just don’t have the funds to hunt big game . Alaska has outfitters that offer a Ptarmigan slam but I’d like to avoid Alaska if possible .I’m wondering if anyone could give me some info on a likely location to find them , maybe you saw a bunch on a sheep hunt ? I’m looking at rainbow lakes , Pop lake , ram lake and colt lake as a point to fly in . If anyone knows of an outfitter that offers this please let me know . Or if anyone knows a location that’s accessible to just hike in that would be even better . I’ll probably spend a few weeks ,I’m also gonna try and add dusky grouse while I’m there. If anyone is interested in a trade I have lots of properties in southern Ontario with turkey if your looking for a slam on turkeys , I’d guarantee a shot at a bird . Any info Via PM would be much appreciated! I may be mistaken about non resident small game hunting, if I am I guess it’s Alaska . Thanks

huntingfamily
03-15-2022, 10:20 AM
Should post in this section also...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?59-Upland-Birds-amp-Small-Game

Dannybuoy
03-15-2022, 10:52 AM
Interesting , I didn't know there were different species of ptarmigan , or that there was any interest in hunting them . I will have to pay closer attention when I see one next fall/summer .

VLD43
03-15-2022, 01:49 PM
Hey Guys
I wasn’t fortunate enough to be born in a province with sheep so I figure the closest I’ll ever get to hunting one is white tailed and rock ptarmigan hunt . From what I’ve read I am able to purchase a non resident small game license to hunt in BC . I’ve contacted a flight charter to get me into a remote lake close to tree line to hunt them . I’ve been successful with willow ptarmigan in Ontario so am just looking for the other two species now . I’m trying to hunt all upland bird species in North America , I just don’t have the funds to hunt big game . Alaska has outfitters that offer a Ptarmigan slam but I’d like to avoid Alaska if possible .I’m wondering if anyone could give me some info on a likely location to find them , maybe you saw a bunch on a sheep hunt ? I’m looking at rainbow lakes , Pop lake , ram lake and colt lake as a point to fly in . If anyone knows of an outfitter that offers this please let me know . Or if anyone knows a location that’s accessible to just hike in that would be even better . I’ll probably spend a few weeks ,I’m also gonna try and add dusky grouse while I’m there. If anyone is interested in a trade I have lots of properties in southern Ontario with turkey if your looking for a slam on turkeys , I’d guarantee a shot at a bird . Any info Via PM would be much appreciated! I may be mistaken about non resident small game hunting, if I am I guess it’s Alaska . Thanks

Good luck with your hunt. If you are going that far north, another place to consider possibly is the tatshanshini. I have read before that there are lots of ptarmigan up there and you can hunt them off the highway. Just a thought. Maybe others can chime in.

Bustercluck
03-15-2022, 02:08 PM
Is this what you’re looking for? I saw dozens of them in the alpine. Some had white patches all over and they blended in to terrain really well. I knew they were ptarmigan, I just didn’t know they were a sub-species. Lol. I have some more pics and a couple videos somewhere but I can’t find them.

https://i.imgur.com/hwmXI4d.jpg

Bustercluck
03-15-2022, 03:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/YpPwMm0.mp4

DarrellF
03-15-2022, 04:11 PM
Yes 100% that’s a white tailed .

Tuffcity
03-15-2022, 05:48 PM
Your best (and most economical) bet would be to fly into Whitehorse, rent a car and within a couple of hours you could be hunting ptarmigan.

Bustercluck
03-15-2022, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately that’s not bc, but northern Alberta. I saw them in an alpine bowl tucked out of any inclement weather. I’d be happy to share the exact location with you if you like, but it’s a 3 day grind to get into that particular spot. There’s one other bowl a day hike closer that should also hold them too. No fly ins or motorized vehicles in the park.

I should be heading in for 9 days ish at the end of august into September. I couldn’t guide you, but we could exchange info and be a lifeline if we’re both in the same area and you needed help

Skull Hunter
03-16-2022, 09:56 AM
Lots of them around Gnat Pass in the winter, right along the highway. I can't comment on what subspecies is predominant, but I know there are a mixture of them.

Walking Buffalo
03-16-2022, 10:09 AM
You could save a bunch of travel, $ and the NDP, and hunt them in Alberta.

Lots of birds just a short hike off many different highways.
Leave Calgary in the morning and be into birds within a couple hours.

Yes, you will likely have to walk past a few Bighorn rams to get to the birds.....

BCHunterFSJ
03-16-2022, 11:30 AM
Loads of these around Atlin where I was hunting caribou. Accessible by old mining roads by quads.
Don't know the species...
By the way, I admire your upland bird quest. Good luck!

https://i.postimg.cc/nz1c4Pbv/DSC-0190.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gXnWd40J)

Blockcaver
03-16-2022, 04:03 PM
In a previous excellent bird dog's life I shot 18 species (subspecies?) of upland game birds (all over the west). That was only counting Ptarmigan as a single species as I am unsure of the subspecies ID. Lots of fun, great exercise and some good eating! Never got a Lesser Prairie Chicken in KS or a Himalayan Snow Cock in NV though! Good luck in your quest!!!

Bustercluck
03-16-2022, 04:23 PM
I do have a quick question.

How do these things taste compared to other upland birds?

Blockcaver
03-16-2022, 08:40 PM
Ptarmigan are dark meat. Not the best of the upland birds for eating. We used to limit ourselves to a couple a year for this reason. They typically fly low to the ground on the flush as well.

DarrellF
03-22-2022, 08:17 AM
Thanks so much guys ,appreciate all the info ! Yes I think white tailed ptarmigan and in particular Himalayan snowcock will be a challenge . I’m booked for Oscillated turkey next spring so that will almost complete my world slam on turkeys . There is a guide that specializes in Himalayan snowcock so I’ll probably use his service . It’s really fun also just to see the different environments and being able to hunt in them , I have a science background so I’m also interested in seeing the different birds, insects , mammals etc . I love eating wild game and some of the birds I’ve hunted have been out of this world good. Quail being at the top of the list ,the only one I found a little to gamey were spruce grouse . I told my buddys they were like the merganser of the grouse family . I found willow ptarmigan pretty good , I like to cook as well so all the meat is a nice bonus . Thanks again guys !

Blockcaver
03-22-2022, 08:46 AM
I think you'll find ptarmigan quite easy (not very wary) once you find them. Just the opposite with Snow Cock as I understand. Also with the Lesser Prairie Chickens in KS in November...wild as heck.

BCHunterFSJ
03-22-2022, 11:02 AM
Himalayan snow cock??

Blockcaver
03-22-2022, 01:31 PM
Google them. Nevada introduced them in 1963 to the Ruby Mountains south of Elko. They are the toughest bird to hunt in North America due to the high elevation, rugged terrain and low but huntable populations.