PDA

View Full Version : Last chance buck

Jmazu
03-12-2022, 10:11 PM
The snowy weather here in the okanagan yesterday reminded me of my last deer hunt this year.
Started out early morning, last week in November, hiking through a cut block and down an old skidder trail to a hidden swamp. This swamp was found during preseason scouting, and had some very worn in game trails through it. Also found a few old rub sites throughout the area.
Got into the area and setup with my back against a big tree overlooking the main trail at about 75 yards. As light came I expected to see some movement on the game trail leaving the food sources, but a couple hours in and nothing. Started letting out a few grunts and bleats hoping a buck would come to investigate. Around 11am I heard something coming down from behind me. I tried turning my head and ended up spooking a deer. Never saw anything but a white flag. I could see the deer navigate the edge of the swamp and head into the timber. I gave a couple more doe beats but could not get a glimpse or the deer. About 15 minutes later I saw movement out of the corner of my eye on the opposite side as the last deer. I could not see what was coming as it was behind a large fallen tree. It came out from behind the tree at about 5 yards. A nice 3 point buck. Unfortunately too close to even move. After what seemed like hours, it started moving away from me back towards the game trail. When it had got close to the trail I raised my rifle but the deer caught the movement and bounced away into the timber. I made a few calls and I could see the buck slowly working back towards me. I picked a spot between all the thick brush that I could get a clear shot off. As the buck kept moving towards me I steadied myself. When the buck stepped into the opening I squeezed off a round and I saw the buck drop. I kept my scope on him and could see he wasn't moving. I gave it a few more minutes and made my way over to him. Took a few minutes to enjoy thr monent then got down to business and took care of the dirty work. A few hours later had the deer back to the truck and brought him home to help fill the freezer.
Hope everyone enjoys a little hunting story to entertain you through the slow days.

BCHunterFSJ
03-13-2022, 12:15 PM
Thanks for sharing that. Nice to read that in these times of gloom and doom!

boilerroom
03-14-2022, 01:50 PM
yup! great story amongst all the sh!t about 7B

Thanks!

ekul246
03-16-2022, 12:36 PM
Put up some pictures!!!!

jimzuk
03-16-2022, 08:54 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. I have been thinking about this years hunting for awhile now

HarryToolips
03-16-2022, 09:43 PM
Well done, sounds like a well calculated hunt..hope to see pics..