PDA

View Full Version : My 2007 Mulie

Rhys
11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
I finally got some pictures off my friends camera of my 2007 Rememberance Day long weekend mulie. We had just driven up to visit an old homestead in the area that I wanted to show my two friends who were up hunting with me for the first time. We decided to head back and check out a clearvut that has been successful for me many times in the past and where we had seen a lot of sign the morning before.

My borther in law chose to go left around the cut that evening because he had already seen the other side. I was tired and as there was not much shooting light maybe 30 mins left I told him to go ahead and I would go a short way round the other side with my buddy who was camp cook that weekend. I knew that the left side of the cut has about 75 yards of timer and then opens up into another small parallel cut where some of the big guys like to hand out. I have busted a few in there in the past and dropped 3 or 4. I wanted my Brother in law Tim to get something this trip so I had no problem sending him in there to take a peek.

I told our friend Chris that we would just hang out on a big log and just wait. With the light closing in I dind't think there was much chance of us finding anything on our side but there was still light on the left hand side to shoot if Tim flushed anything out.

We could hear Tim crashing around in the bush, he missed one of the main trails by a about 50 yards and had to bushwhack through some heavy timer and dry branches so it was very loud. After about 3 minutes of that I heard the distinct crashing sounds of a bouncing deer. I told Chris to be quiet and still and get the binocs out.

I could see Tims head through the trees in the other clearcut and out into our cut pops this big 5x5. I had a good shot that was no where near where Tim was standing so I took it. First one broke his back, second one put him down. I told Chris to watch it so we could both remember where it was since it fell into some deep cover. I hollered at Tim to make his way straight back to us and all three of us hiked back to the truck to get the gear. It was going to get dark soon and we needed lights. Typical we had left all the lights at camp and all we had were theheadlamps and small flashlights in our packs. It took us a short time to find him but it was worth it.

A little scary gutting him in the dark but we managed to drive the truck right in and use the headlights. Tim wanted some experience gutting an animal so being the nice guy that I am I guided him through the process trying to stay as clean as possible. In the end I got right in there to make things go as quick as we could.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/deerboy_2007/DSCF1499.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/deerboy_2007/DSCF1498.jpg

Got it back to camp, made a new game pole since ours blew over, and had it skinned out by 10pm. Just in time to hit the hot tub for an hour then hit the sack!
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/deerboy_2007/DSCF1453.jpg

Nothing beats a nice lakeside hottub in the wilderness :D Great view of the stars etc! The worst part is having to get out in freezing temperatures and run to the cabin!

Great hunt with 2 really good friends.

Hope to make it a yearly event.

Rhys

WoodOx
11-18-2007, 06:44 PM
pics? sounds like fun, congrats

Elkhound
11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
come on Rhys...you know the rules. Pictures please:smile:

Rhys
11-18-2007, 07:48 PM
sorry guys i had some technical difficulty and I just got called out for the night. this thread is on hold until tmw morning.

Rhys

hunter1947
11-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Nice deer ,love your hot tub ,will be nice to soak in after a hard days hunt.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Rhys
11-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Pictures added.

Rhys

zigman
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Fine looking deer! Do you heat the hottub with a fire? We have done that lots and it really does do wonders after a long drag.

1/2 slam
11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Nice buck. Sounds like you really were roughing it:wink:......hot tub!!!!

BearSniper
11-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Beautiful Buck:smile:

Looks like one side has a fifth tine.

Good job, tag filled:-P

Rhys
11-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys, it is a 5x5 small tine on each side.
We heat the hot tub with a copper coil in the fire and a 12volt pump circulating the water. Hot in about 2.5 hours and we have to shut it down or its too hot to go in.

Rhys

Thunderstix
11-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Nice deer Rhys!