PDA

View Full Version : PAL Renewal Info

RadHimself
03-08-2022, 01:16 PM
PAL came up for renewal in nov 2021, i sent my paperwork in online early sept 2021

its now march 2022, spoke to cfo in january told me file had to be reviewed by police
talked to police on the hotline yesterday, was told file is under review by cfo

wtf is going on?

am i not running out of time?

this will be the 4th renewal of my PAL, never had problems before

any and all info welcome please

thank you for your time

dodge456
03-08-2022, 01:34 PM
I had a pretty ridiculous experience one time several years ago, 2 or 3 renewals back. At the time we were using a mailbox at the Agassiz post office as we lived close to there but didn't trust our little mailbox on a post at our actual residence. Anyway some time into my renewal process I phoned to see where things were at and I was informed by the woman on the phone that because my postal code was the same as the prison out there, my application had been flagged to make sure I wasn't actually in the prison. While I'm sure it didn't take them long to verify that I was not an inmate, the entire process had been stalled because of that. It was only because of my phone call that things got moving again. So I guess from that experience I would say just stay on them because it seems that once it stalls it can get thrown on a back burner for some time. I haven't used that address for a long time and haven't had a problem since.

GROOTSKY
03-08-2022, 01:47 PM
I renewed mine last spring, it took 8 months & 2 phone calls. I was told it was a staffing shortage, I recieved my new PAL shortly after the second call.

geo guy
03-08-2022, 04:48 PM
It took them over a year to renew my PAL last time. I applied 6 months before expiry. The only change was my photo. I contacted the RCMP firearms branch several times, they approved my renewal 2 weeks after I applied. It sat on the Chief Firearms Officer's desk for a year.

Through calling various places at the CFO's office I somehow got transferred through to his secretary/assistant and started to complain that it had expired and I was going to miss the (then) upcoming hunting season. Less than a week later it was approved and at my door.

The current process is an absolute joke. Considering mine expires again in 2.5 years its probably about time I submit for renewal.

marshman,
03-08-2022, 05:11 PM
I accidentally renewed mine a year early, came within two weeks and good for 6 years.

It took them over a year to renew my PAL last time. I applied 6 months before expiry. The only change was my photo. I contacted the RCMP firearms branch several times, they approved my renewal 2 weeks after I applied. It sat on the Chief Firearms Officer's desk for a year.

Through calling various places at the CFO's office I somehow got transferred through to his secretary/assistant and started to complain that it had expired and I was going to miss the (then) upcoming hunting season. Less than a week later it was approved and at my door.

The current process is an absolute joke. Considering mine expires again in 2.5 years its probably about time I submit for renewal.

ACE
03-08-2022, 05:50 PM
An RCMP officer suggested re-newing by sending for the forms and returning them by Canada Post regular mail. It was relatively quick.

HappyJack
03-08-2022, 07:50 PM
I had to phone my MP to get them to send it before mine expired.

Vortex hunter
03-08-2022, 08:31 PM
Never had a issue last year myself . But I filled out the forms and sent them by snail mail..Vortex

srupp
03-08-2022, 08:43 PM
hmmm mine was sent off 1 month ago...STARTING TO SHIT BRICKS....GRRRRRRR
Srupp

Rob Chipman
03-08-2022, 09:02 PM
I had my most recent one renewed no problem. The one before I had to get my MP involved. I'd recommend doing that.

CFO eventually called me, asked if he could also phone my wife and I guess I passed the audition because he never called the wife and I got the license quickly after that.

Gun Dog
03-08-2022, 09:14 PM
The first time I renewed (around 2006) it was hung up at the BC CFO office. When I called the clerk wanted to know if I really needed an RPAL. They were trying to downgrade PALs at the time. The last time I renewed (2021) it was slow but went though without issues. I didn't even need to show proof of belonging to a gun club.

Johnny G1
03-08-2022, 09:38 PM
When I renewed 2 yrs ago they took away my Rpal because I didn't own anymore hand guns and if I wanted to buy another one I would have to be retested. Wasn't a very good call to Maramichi when I finished my talk with them, that the next handgun would be bought on the street, phone went dead.

IslandWanderer
03-08-2022, 09:53 PM
The first time I renewed (around 2006) it was hung up at the BC CFO office. When I called the clerk wanted to know if I really needed an RPAL. They were trying to downgrade PALs at the time. The last time I renewed (2021) it was slow but went though without issues. I didn't even need to show proof of belonging to a gun club.

Am I correct in thinking that a person only needs to be a member of a club if they actually own handguns, rather than just having an RPAL?

7mag
03-08-2022, 09:54 PM
Wow….guess I was really fortunate last year. I was 4 weeks until mine expired (4-1/2 weeks until I had a hunting trip planned) and submitted it all online. It was all back to me in a day under three weeks! Talk about a sigh of relief!!

mooze
03-08-2022, 11:10 PM
hmmm mine was sent off 1 month ago...STARTING TO SHIT BRICKS....GRRRRRRR
Srupp

I electronically submitted mine in mid January, had it in the mail last week, painless.

ACE
03-09-2022, 06:43 AM
Am I correct in thinking that a person only needs to be a member of a club if they actually own handguns, rather than just having an RPAL?

I packed one when prospecting years ago.
Had to be a minimum of .41 caliber.
Super Blackhawk .44 Rem.
Wasn't a member of a club then.
Don't know what the rules are now

Gun Dog
03-09-2022, 08:33 AM
Am I correct in thinking that a person only needs to be a member of a club if they actually own handguns, rather than just having an RPAL?I have a handgun and in the past I needed to be a member of a club. Not this time. I do belong to a club so maybe they're using membership lists now.

ian745
03-09-2022, 08:57 AM
Do it online. This day and age. Sending physical copies of anything is hit or miss if it’ll actually get there. I renewed in the first bit of Covid shutdowns. Did it online was processed and new card in my hands in just over 3 weeks

Redthies
03-09-2022, 10:44 PM
I started the clock yesterday. Printed forms in the mail... We’ll see how it goes old school.

BeerMan
03-10-2022, 07:47 AM
I electronically submitted mine in mid January, had it in the mail last week, painless.
I did mine online in late January as well. Just under 4 weeks in the mail, and it was painless.

igojuone
03-10-2022, 07:57 AM

Only time they ask for a club membership is when your purchasing a restricted and once they have the initial proof of membership on file they only ask what club you belong to, they don't verify it. Don't ask me how I know.

rageous
03-10-2022, 09:11 AM
Renewed 5 weeks ago by online.
says it’s been initially reviewed only.

Redthies
03-10-2022, 03:07 PM
It’s like they knew. I mailed mine on Tuesday and late last night got the “hey, you know we do online renewal now, right?” email from them. Fingers crossed it’s not a chit show.

Rezpatrol
03-14-2022, 11:27 AM
I let myn expire redid the course had it in 4 months lol seems like I made the right choice

Redthies
03-15-2022, 07:39 AM
I let myn expire redid the course had it in 4 months lol seems like I made the right choice

Clearly... :roll:

:mrgreen:

Redthies
05-17-2022, 12:28 PM
Update: I decided 2 months was long enough, so I called and waited for a human. Talked with a nice New Brunswick housewife who put on hold for a minute and then came back on saying she had “pushed my application through”, and now all I need to do is wait for it to be printed and mailed. I wonder how long the wait would have been if I hadn’t called!?!?

Gr8 white hunter
05-17-2022, 12:38 PM
How about doing it on line that's what I just did,we'll see.I told them I will go without it anyway she said that you can't do that I said ya ok.

TUGGER
05-17-2022, 12:51 PM
I had to send a proof of membership to fish and game before they ok’d mine

Redthies
05-17-2022, 05:36 PM
I had to send a proof of membership to fish and game before they ok’d mine

Restricted? Never heard of that requirement for a non-restricted.

Redthies
05-17-2022, 05:37 PM
How about doing it on line that's what I just did,we'll see.I told them I will go without it anyway she said that you can't do that I said ya ok.

You said “ya, ok” as in “it seems to me that all the criminals are going without, so apparently it’s not a problem?”, right? :mrgreen:

srupp
05-17-2022, 06:17 PM
hmmmm mine arrived last week..so March---MAY..STARTED the process early..didnt expire untill late Dec....I sent mine via snail mail...photo was done at Staples...lol dont know the guy in the photo...horrible..ugly dude..WAIT maybe that IS me.....
elmer