PDA

View Full Version : Can loggers block access to a lake / campground

shed-hunter1
03-06-2022, 06:13 PM
good day me and my fishing buddy went ice fishing last weekend did very well after a long work week finally get to go back guess what the rd is blocked a birm installed and sings up saying camping closed
can a logging outfit do this at a stocked lake in bc (kamloops area)

Redthies
03-06-2022, 06:18 PM
Does the sign say “road deactivated”? There is a requirement to do that in some situations, but if the road accesses a rec site and stocked lake, I’d be questioning the legality of it. Call the ministry of forests tomorrow. They will know more than us.

horshur
03-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Alot of lakes in the interior are a liability nightmare due to dead trees. They need to be snag felled in order to be safe. Perhaps this is the reason for the closure? May not be anyway related to logging per say.

MichelD
03-06-2022, 07:03 PM
I think the Forest Service closes some down for Winter as was stated above; for safety reasons.

interior
03-06-2022, 07:25 PM
I had a similar issue in the Kamloops area this winter. I went up to check out a lake for ice fishing and there was a chain across the road about halfway in but with no signs explaining why. The road was also plowed which was odd because it’s never been plowed in previous years. All I could figure was that they were logging it. This lake is also part of a provincial park and I didn’t know they could block access to it. It would’ve been nice if they had blocked it and signed it at the entrance as opposed to half way into the lake.

Salix
03-06-2022, 07:32 PM
Typically the forest companies don’t do it unless there is a reason. It costs money to do it.
Roads can get closed off for a number of reasons though. Some other users can request limited access such as guides, trappers, and FN’s. I’ve actually had multiple trappers make the request in the past.
Probably the main reason if it’s this time of year and the road is blocked it’s to keep public users from driving on soft wet roads in the spring. The loggers may have timber planned to log or haul later on in the spring or early summer and need the roads to thaw and dry out and the roads don’t dry well if people 4x4 and make big ruts on the road.
There may be terrain issues in the area that a geoscientist has prescribed needs roads to be decommissioned doe to land slide risk. If it’s within or near some of the resent fires I could see that happening as well.
As mentioned above you can contact the local ministry of forest office or the forest licensee that operates in that area and usually they will let you know why it’s blocked and the plans for the specific road.

HappyJack
03-07-2022, 08:12 AM
They can't just do it on their own, you'll have to call the ministry to find out more info. it may be approved, and it might not be. It would be pretty unusual for them to block access to a campground without a good reason.

shed-hunter1
03-07-2022, 08:22 AM
no it doesnt the rd forks 20 ft down from the birm the rd to the campground dead ends at the campground the rd where there are working carrys on if they wanted to keep people out all they had to do was make the birm after the fork and you could still get to the lake

Jagermeister
03-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Why don't you give front counter bc a visit if the provincial building in Kamloops and see what they say. Pictures would be helpful.
You are vague on where this is so asking here is somewhat redundant.

shed-hunter1
03-07-2022, 02:38 PM
I phoned the ministry they said there are fixing up the road and will reopen in the spring