PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Encounters

Deer_Slayer
02-26-2022, 08:12 PM
Just curious. Since the ban on grizzly hunting in BC, does anyone have encounter stories? Are you seeing more Grizz and are they acting more aggressive than usual?

HappyJack
02-26-2022, 08:19 PM
About the same where we go, nothing really different just lots of them out there so maybe the big boars are keeping the population in check in high density spots??

Deer_Slayer
02-26-2022, 08:54 PM
Yeah could be right. I am surprised since the ban I am not seeing any stories or complaints about over aggressive and more frequent encounters.

CheesyLimper
02-26-2022, 09:03 PM
I've been going to the same spot west of Smithers every spring more or less yearly since 2008; sometimes for work, sometimes black bear hunting. I saw maybe half a dozen grizzlies total until 2017. Since then, I see 3-6 a year (probably same bear on a few occasions). I don't find them aggressive but they do seem a lot less scared of me than bears past. I also see a lot less black bears there now.

leadpillproductions
02-26-2022, 09:17 PM
My black bear spot seen way less blacks and over 20 grizzly in 30km area

264mag
02-26-2022, 09:20 PM
My son and I were on a fly in sheep hunt in region 6 for opener. We had a grizzly come right to our tent on the tundra, we started yelling when he was at 400 yards. First warning shot at 175, 3 more until he was at about 50. We had a stare down until he decided our scent wasn’t cool. He turned around and headed out of the valley. Now there was another hunter about 1 km across the valley filming it all on phone skope. The bear ran right past his tent while his dad was in it.
Just to note I had decided to shoot this bear if he took one more step towards us. He had our wind for about 3-4 minutes and wasn’t scared.
I don’t know much about aging bears but I would guess he was about 4-5 hrs old, and likely hadn’t been shot at before. The first warning shot was 20 yards in front of him. The last 3 were all spraying dirt and gravel in his face and it didn’t slow him down at all.
watching a bear run at you for 5-7 minutes is a scary thing.

warnniklz
02-26-2022, 10:56 PM
Horsefly... 2 weekends in a row, 2 grizzlies at the 40 yard line. Not a major deal to me really.

decker9
02-27-2022, 07:50 AM
Had a few close calls, my dogs saved my arse twice now while sheep hunting, one defiantly would have ended bad.

This was the last one a couple years ago, which wasn’t so bad. Felt a little under gunned between my gf and I though, all we had was a 6.5 swede and a walking stick lol. 7pm, 100 yards from the tent, sleep was very light that night.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s

Bernie O
02-27-2022, 09:21 AM
The reason you dont hear about more encounters is people practicing the 3 sss.

RyoTHC
02-27-2022, 09:37 AM
Grizz around nicola lake between Kamloops and Merritt the past two years. Have laid eyes on four different animals, three I believe to be sows and one was a brute of a boar.

have to be careful hunting colour phase bears around that area !

MRP
02-27-2022, 10:16 AM

Shake $#|t and skedaddle?

Downtown
02-27-2022, 10:44 AM
Nord-east of Prince George it seems I see now 3 Grizzly's for every Moose, not good.

Cheers

stoneramhunter
02-27-2022, 06:21 PM
Was sheep hunting up the Gatho and didn't notice much of a change in the Grizzly population on the trip. Covered a lot of area between Gat and Tuchodi. Previous year in same area saw several Grizzly bears. Sheep spotting was good saw plenty of sheep. Not many elk or moose however temps were quite high.

Arctic Lake
02-27-2022, 06:27 PM
What would you think was the age of that bear and it’s weight ?
Arctic Lake

Had a few close calls, my dogs saved my arse twice now while sheep hunting, one defiantly would have ended bad.

This was the last one a couple years ago, which wasn’t so bad. Felt a little under gunned between my gf and I though, all we had was a 6.5 swede and a walking stick lol. 7pm, 100 yards from the tent, sleep was very light that night.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s

REMINGTON JIM
02-27-2022, 06:39 PM

YUP right after firing a WARNING shot to the Head ! :tongue: RJ

decker9
02-27-2022, 09:07 PM
What would you think was the age of that bear and it’s weight ?
Arctic Lake

I’m not really good at judging, but I’d guess in the 500 lb range? He looked like a full adult, but in the video when he turns to go, he does look a bit small and young maybe.

The encounter that my dog really came through on, was in the exact same spot 2 years prior. I wondered if it may be the same bear. He was a lot closer last time lol.

elch jager
02-28-2022, 10:05 AM
3-41 between Vavenby and Avola

Big old boar on the east side of the Thompson. Partner had to abandon the ATV and get in my truck. Bear would not leave, kept challenging the truck. Had to drive straight at him a couple times blaring the horn. Then he sat 20 yds. off the side, staring at us till we left. This was 800 yds. down the road from our camp. Dog had gotten very vocal a few times on previous nights. Went looking and found the tracks circling around camp about 40 yds. out.

Ran into the CO the next day. He was quite interested in that bears behaviour. Said it is his most frequent nuisance call these days - overly aggressive Grizzly encounters.

hawk-i
02-28-2022, 10:10 AM
Seeing a lot more Grizzlies and they are paying less and less attention to humans.

Golddust
02-28-2022, 04:47 PM
Saw a pig of a black bear in Squamish in 2020 while I was bow hunting for blacktail. Had its head down eating a spawned out chum 20 yards away. An icicle fell and scared it. It grabbed the fish ran back to about 40... which is when I realized it was 1) not a black bear, but a grizz and 2) it was much bigger than I had thought. No bear spray on me I sat and waited until it finished with the fish to move on. Thankfully it went back towards the river to grab another one. Stunned, being so close for the first time I watched while it splashed around chasing the barely alive fish in the side channel. It walked accross in the other direction towards where my brother was hunting and I made my escape to circle around and find him before the two of them bumped into eachother.

Haven't been back without my rifle since. Lots of sightings of both grizz and wolves in the squamish valley now.

Bugle M In
02-28-2022, 06:34 PM
I have certainly seen more Grizz since even before the ban.
Since then, I feel have I see even more now on average.
I spot them roaming and feeding much closer than years ago however.
I have certainly seen their body size be larger now, or a couple anyways that are quite impressive now,
especially since they had a slight head start because the local GO had used his tags for several seasons waiting for
them to grow bigger but then screwed himself with the ban.
Also, I have most definetly had several close encounters with Grizz coming to check out my calls.
That never happened and they do seem less shy, imo.

jlirot
03-01-2022, 10:54 AM
Grizz around nicola lake between Kamloops and Merritt the past two years. Have laid eyes on four different animals, three I believe to be sows and one was a brute of a boar.

Shit. I'm in the same area! Closer to Kamloops though. I'd like to see one - at a distance. I've seen plenty in AK. No need to see one up close again.

Throwaway
03-01-2022, 12:15 PM

I had convinced myself I didn’t see one in the Roche Lake-ish area. It was quick at last light. Starting to rethink now. Minimal bear sign at all in that area. Lots of cat sign though.

Downtown
03-01-2022, 12:32 PM
YUP right after firing a WARNING shot to the Head ! :tongue: RJ

And I thought those Guys with Shovels where Gold Miners LOL !

Cheers

REMINGTON JIM
03-02-2022, 12:28 PM
And I thought those Guys with Shovels where Gold Miners LOL !

Cheers

LOL ! :lol: RJ

stoneramhunter
03-02-2022, 04:35 PM
LOL ! :lol: RJ

I'm good with the ban on Grizzly hunt since it was mostly trophy hunting and not having to take the meat out. Not a fan of people shooting Grizz simply because they are nearby. Ofcourse if youre being attacked there is no question but to protect yourself.

Arctic Lake
03-02-2022, 04:53 PM
I can only say this about a close encounter with a Grizzly and I have said it many times on various threads . I hope I have the balls to not let me come unglued and remain calm in a face to face situation . I will give the bear all that I can for a successful outcome for it . BUT if it comes down to thinking I’m going to get mauled I don’t want to be that person . I have seen in the flesh a fella that was mauled by a Grizzly and he had healed up as best he could after the mauling . It was not a pretty sight the injuries he received !!
Arctic Lake

jlirot
03-02-2022, 05:54 PM
I can only say this about a close encounter with a Grizzly and I have said it many times on various threads . I hope I have the balls to not let me come unglued and remain calm in a face to face situation . I will give the bear all that I can for a successful outcome for it . BUT if it comes down to thinking I’m going to get mauled I don’t want to be that person . I have seen in the flesh a fella that was mauled by a Grizzly and he had healed up as best he could after the mauling . It was not a pretty sight the injuries he received !!
Arctic Lake

Very well said! I only had one close encounter. Let's just say that can of bear spray felt a lot smaller in my hand with the pin out than it did on my hip before I saw the bear........

It was all about staying calm. And I can't guarantee the same result next time - but it worked out fine then.

decker9
03-02-2022, 07:14 PM
Arctic Lake

I never believed the term “scared stiff” until it happen to me, but instead 13 wolves (plus a dead alpha) lined up in front of me. Not sure if it was scared (I had 1 bullet left), or wtf, but I seriously couldn’t move. I remember thinking, shoot my last shot, but thinking was all I could do, I think. It only lasted 10-20 seconds probably, but felt like forever. Definitely long enough for any animal to have its way.

Bugle M In
03-02-2022, 09:22 PM
I have seen a few videos of Grizz on full rampage and being dropped only a foot or 2 from the hunter.
Very easily could have been a full blown attack with a shot that didn’t do the job.
Scared stiff can happen also.
So, there are valid concerns mentioned for sure.

Redthies
03-02-2022, 09:41 PM
Shake $#|t and skedaddle?

I’m thinking more like “Shoot, shovel, and shut up”.

RyoTHC
03-02-2022, 11:16 PM
I had convinced myself I didn’t see one in the Roche Lake-ish area. It was quick at last light. Starting to rethink now. Minimal bear sign at all in that area. Lots of cat sign though.

I wouldn’t second guess yourself, I am 100% certain they are in that area… in large numbers? Absolutely not.. but there’s a handful bumbling around.

jlirot
03-03-2022, 10:45 AM
Somebody mentioned 'trophy hunt'. If it's legal, personally, for grizz I have no problem shooting and only taking the hide - especially if it is in my neighborhood or someplace I regularly frequent.

I never particularly wanted to hunt a grizz but my attitude has changed. If the season ever returns in BC I may try to take one.

But, my question is - is grizz meat even edible? My blackie is frikkin delish. But, I've been led to believe that grizz is inedible.

Arctic Lake
03-03-2022, 10:56 AM
Never hunted Grizzlies , not sure I want to , if it was legal . Not sure why it does not appeal to me as table fair but there are few on here that say it’s good , hmmm . Black bear yes , but one that frequents a dump , no thanks .
Arctic Lake
Somebody mentioned 'trophy hunt'. If it's legal, personally, for grizz I have no problem shooting and only taking the hide - especially if it is in my neighborhood or someplace I regularly frequent.

I never particularly wanted to hunt a grizz but my attitude has changed. If the season ever returns in BC I may try to take one.

But, my question is - is grizz meat even edible? My blackie is frikkin delish. But, I've been led to believe that grizz is inedible.

stoneramhunter
03-03-2022, 02:24 PM

That was me that mentioned the trophy hunt. Its not well received around the world and is one of the reasons that contributed to its shut down. Its in the works for Alaska as the negative view of leaving the meat behind is affecting tourism. In the not to far future you will have to pack the bear meat out in Alaska. They see the the writing on the wall. I think if that were implemented here there may of been a different outcome, having said that Im still opposed to hunting an animal and leaving the meat behind then it's strictly a trophy hunt.

wideopenthrottle
03-03-2022, 02:38 PM
would it help if you thought of it as a predator management hunt?
That was me that mentioned the trophy hunt. Its not well received around the world and is one of the reasons that contributed to its shut down. Its in the works for Alaska as the negative view of leaving the meat behind is affecting tourism. In the not to far future you will have to pack the bear meat out in Alaska. They see the the writing on the wall. I think if that were implemented here there may of been a different outcome, having said that Im still opposed to hunting an animal and leaving the meat behind then it's strictly a trophy hunt.

stoneramhunter
03-03-2022, 03:33 PM
Predator management is another topic and necessary when required. No question that the wolves are having a major impact more so than Grizz. Ive spent a lot of time in the back country and can say there are more bears but certainly not one behind every tree. There are numerous factors for the decline of some species from habit, easy access, climate change, predators to name a few, I don't think its just one thing. To be clear I'm not opposed to hunting just that it should be more than just a trophy hunt and taking only the skull and cape in my opinion.

.330 Dakota
03-03-2022, 06:01 PM
My son and I were on a fly in sheep hunt in region 6 for opener. We had a grizzly come right to our tent on the tundra, we started yelling when he was at 400 yards. First warning shot at 175, 3 more until he was at about 50. We had a stare down until he decided our scent wasn’t cool. He turned around and headed out of the valley. Now there was another hunter about 1 km across the valley filming it all on phone skope. The bear ran right past his tent while his dad was in it.
Just to note I had decided to shoot this bear if he took one more step towards us. He had our wind for about 3-4 minutes and wasn’t scared.
I don’t know much about aging bears but I would guess he was about 4-5 hrs old, and likely hadn’t been shot at before. The first warning shot was 20 yards in front of him. The last 3 were all spraying dirt and gravel in his face and it didn’t slow him down at all.
watching a bear run at you for 5-7 minutes is a scary thing.

i THINK i WOULD HAVE SHOT THAT BEAR, AND SAVED THE NET HUNTER HE ENCOUNTERS,,EACH ENCOUNTER MAKES THEM BOLDER IMHO,,,AH NUTS, SORRY FOR THE CAPS

Bugle M In
03-03-2022, 10:17 PM
Predator management is another topic and necessary when required. No question that the wolves are having a major impact more so than Grizz. Ive spent a lot of time in the back country and can say there are more bears but certainly not one behind every tree. There are numerous factors for the decline of some species from habit, easy access, climate change, predators to name a few, I don't think its just one thing. To be clear I'm not opposed to hunting just that it should be more than just a trophy hunt and taking only the skull and cape in my opinion.
I stand behind that comment as well.

Redthies
03-04-2022, 09:50 AM
Never hunted Grizzlies , not sure I want to , if it was legal . Not sure why it does not appeal to me as table fair but there are few on here that say it’s good.
Arctic Lake

I’ve eaten it before. The time I had it I found it to be quite tasty. Closer to dark turkey meat than pork (although it’s been many years so my memory may be slightly off).

I’m not interested in bear or predator hunting at this point, but I do think that in this era, you should be taking the meat from ANY animal you shoot. Even if it’s just for your neighbors dog. This would take a lot of the bad optics away from hunting in general.

As I type this I’m about to go look at more properties I grizzly country, so my future might hold a desire/need to remove one from the landscape. You just never know.

J_T
03-04-2022, 10:24 AM
I've documented the grizzly population for a number of years in a couple of the areas we hunt.

Both locations are seeing an increase in the grizzly population. We left one zone as the population went from about 5 to 11. Way to much close action there. We've encountered many. Shots fired, but never to harm the bear. A slug into the dirt in front of their nose seems to be the sufficient deterrent. Have had grizz pass through my treestand locations. Got some great pics at 20 yards. Have had a number come in when calling elk. Some in as close as 15 - 20 yards. They always book out when we stand and make them aware we are not elk. I think Grizzly because of their size and power are often a misunderstood animal.... haha if they are not defending, young, food or territory, they are generally a timid animal.

Bernie O
03-05-2022, 09:24 AM
Some of you guys should join greenpeace.Next we will be eating Wolves, Coyotes,Beavers, and even rats that you trap in your compost pile. If its legal lets do it. If it upsets your personal ethics dont do it. More rules and divisions among ourselves is just what the antis want. Not all life is sacred.

Bugle M In
03-05-2022, 12:51 PM
Some of you guys should join greenpeace.Next we will be eating Wolves, Coyotes,Beavers, and even rats that you trap in your compost pile. If its legal lets do it. If it upsets your personal ethics dont do it. More rules and divisions among ourselves is just what the antis want. Not all life is sacred.
I think us that think the meat should be taken, and not only the hide or skull does not make us Greenpeace supporters.
I don't think any of us with that stance has ever stopped those that did want to hunt Grizz under the old rules and when it was
open.
I supported the hunt regardless of my personal views.
And due to my personal views, I never did hunt them, but was fine with those that did.
I just always felt that hunting them for hide/skull was purely a "trophy" approach, and something that is shunned by the non
hunting community.
Had we made attempts to remove the meat, and changed that aspect of the hunt, it might still be open?
Going forward, any hunting deemed purely "trophy" will meet the same demise down the road.
Sheep and Goat are probably the next ones the Anti community are looking at.
The "Trophy" aspect is what gives them traction against us with the rest of the non hunting community.
Argue it if you want, or even say they don't know what they are talking about, but I still promise you all, it is what they will
use against us to make it happen.
Some in the non hunting community may see coyote or wolf and potentially cougar hunts as a predator control.
Most in the non hunting community don't see Grizz in the same category.

Again, we can bash each other over what is and what isn't.
But everyone should look at it from a perspective of how it could be used against us.
Trophy hunts just don't fly for those in the non hunting community any longer.
You can keep the old ways, but you can also expect it to be continuously under attack.
And we don't seem to be winning under the "old ways" any longer.

Just something for all to think about.
Or, we can continue to point fingers between ourselves.

Bugle M In
03-05-2022, 12:59 PM
I've documented the grizzly population for a number of years in a couple of the areas we hunt.

Both locations are seeing an increase in the grizzly population. We left one zone as the population went from about 5 to 11. Way to much close action there. We've encountered many. Shots fired, but never to harm the bear. A slug into the dirt in front of their nose seems to be the sufficient deterrent. Have had grizz pass through my treestand locations. Got some great pics at 20 yards. Have had a number come in when calling elk. Some in as close as 15 - 20 yards. They always book out when we stand and make them aware we are not elk. I think Grizzly because of their size and power are often a misunderstood animal.... haha if they are not defending, young, food or territory, they are generally a timid animal.
I just know that last 10 years or so now, we don't fall asleep by the tree after a long morning of calling8-)
You think mid day and in warm temps that most things have gone down to take a nap themselves.
But that isn't necessarily true.
Both Grizz and Cougar have walked right in at those times.
Makes for an interesting day to say the least.
But yes, I dont nap anymore.
At least not there where calling/hunting.

AllDay
03-05-2022, 03:06 PM
2 years ago we got charged by a young boar sheep hunting. We pushed it out of one area when we were looking for sheep. On the way back, he was in a different area and he winded us. Soon as he winded us he started running towards us (from 400 yards away). All I remember thinking was "****, I do not want to deal with this right now". We were under-powered (6.5 CM + a bow and some hot sauce), but we also had the in-reach in hand and were in a good shooting position. Of course, all this happened very fast. At 200 yards we started yelling and he stopped on a dime and ran away. I think he was a bit desperate, young, and tired of being pushed around. Normally we only see 1-2 gbears in this area over 15 days. The year we got charged we had 3-4 gbears within 100-300 yards and a few going through our old camps. Seen 6-7 that trip. We even got to the highest peak in that area, which was snow covered, and found fresh g-bear shit up there. Last year, in a different area, we only seen one g-bear from far away.

stoneramhunter
03-05-2022, 04:49 PM

The optics of killing a Grizzly bear and letting the meat rot does not bode well around the world if you think thats okay simply because it's legal you are missing the point and i would go further and say its not that ethical. AS i stated before Alaska is seeing the writing on the wall as there tourism is being impacted by the trophy hunt. If you shoot other species in Alaska you have to pack all the meat out and that means all the meat if not its a very hefty fine. If they do bring the Grizzly hunt back bring it back with the understanding you will have to pack the meat out. As to the antis they do have a position on trophy hunts when you only take the cape claws and skull. As well your statement that not all life is sacred perhaps not, but respected well I think that is a position I stand for and I actually support some positions for Greenpeace particularity to whale hunting .

BRrooster
03-05-2022, 05:23 PM
We have seen a slow but steady increase in Grizz population where we hunt near MacKenzie BC. Most run , but the one between the outhouse and camp last year, stopped , watched us, heard our yelling and after a couple of long minites , decided he wanted a closer look. He was about 40 yards away. We hit the panic alarm on the truck, and fired into the air over him. He stopped , and turned then walked away. And I mean, walked. No hurry. Just walked. Not as many Black Bears there lately. Busy enough that we see other hunters every day. Also active logging from year to year.
My thoughts on hunting them; I'm not interested myself, but not opposed to it. I think it would help to keep them more respectful of hunters and human presence. As for taking the meat, a bear on a salmon stream would pretty much not be edible , me thinks. Maybe one in a berry patch. As for a bear deep in the wilderness, the meat will be used as needed by other animals.
jmho.
B.

HappyJack
03-06-2022, 08:49 AM

I don't hunt grizzly bears, but the idea that taking the meat out would make any difference to an anti hunters point of view is a big mistake. They just use that as a tool against hunting, the same as giving animals names and whining that animals were here first so we are invading their homes and upsetting their families. It's twisted in my mind but some wing nuts eat it up.

Those that trophy hunt should start putting up pictures and videos of how those old mature animals die from natural causes, pics of a starving grizzly bears would tug at the heart strings of an anti....ask them if they think we should put the poor Pooh bear out of it's misery or let it die a long horrible death? Same thing with wolves and coyotes, put up some pics of deer with half their hind ends eaten away or nice close up videos of that deer the wolves are eating alive, make the anti hunters puke. Look at poor nancy the mule deer, look in her eyes while this pack of wolves eats her guts out.....hunters just need to use their tactics against them. Those trophy animals are near the end of their lives, hunters that target them are doing them a favour by preventing them from suffering a horrible death at the hands of mother nature.

stoneramhunter
03-06-2022, 09:50 AM
hmmm I guess your suggesting that grizzly wolves and coyotes should become vegetarians or risked being killed if they don't.Bears wolves and coyotes are conivores all part of the animal kingdom. And Yes it would make a difference packing the meat out. Not everyone is against hunting but alot are against simply trophy hunting and not taking the meat . You need to be able to separate the view. Saying that hunters are doing them a favor???? Now thats ammunition for the antis

Ron.C
03-06-2022, 10:17 AM
I agree with allot of what you are saying stoneramhunter. Had this discussion with many non hunters (but not anti hunters) and its a polarizing issue for them.

In regards to bear encounters, in the area I hunt 4-24,25,26, have most certainly seen an increase in G bear sign but luckily so far, have not seen an increase in agression.

jlirot
03-06-2022, 02:05 PM
and I actually support some positions for Greenpeace particularity to whale hunting .

I used to and I want to - but they're a bunch of weanies more interested in fame than anything else IMHO. All of the whales hunted are NOT endangered. And, they're eaten. So, I don't see any point in getting your panties (not you personally Stone - Greenpeacers) in a twist over it. I've eaten whale - it's good. :-)

Walking Buffalo
03-06-2022, 02:53 PM
In Alberta, where grizzly hunting has been banned since 2006, not only are there more bears everywhere, and spreading well onto the prairies, but the number of aggressive bear encounters is skyrocketing along with the number of people killed by bears. The attacks started to increase 10 years after the hunt ban, and have really taken off over the last few years.

Review this thread again in 2027 and 2023. I suspect that as the bears that were alive during the hunting days die off, attacks on humans will dramatically increase in BC too.

LBM
03-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Havent noticed a increase in bear numbers in parts of the EK that frequent or them being any more aggresive. As with any animal you will see more at certain times of the year in certain locations.
One thing that is up and on a steady incline is human encounters, there is more people in the outdoors at all times of the year. It may even be that there is more bears killed now in certain MUs then
when there was a hunting season, and in reading some of this thread and others with those willing to do illegal stuff/poach etc it is quit possible.
As far as bringing meat out dont agree with it at all. Have hunted bears shot bears guided them, helped others and not one was ever done intended for meat, although some was eating. If ever get the chance to hunt them again
i will and if those that dont even hunt them like bugle and stoneram get there way to have to bring meat out i will but bring it home then return it to the bush.
As far as those that like to keep labeling it trophy or meat hunting dont agree its just hunting in my opinion, but for those that do well a couple things to look at according to the stats most say they meat hunt
and according to some people/groups hunting can have a impact on wildlife so meat hunters are doing more damage to wildlife and there numbers.
If you now let a legal ram go to look for another or a small legal 4 point to look for something bigger then your not really hunting for meat but a trophy according to there terms.

stoneramhunter
03-06-2022, 07:59 PM
Havent noticed a increase in bear numbers in parts of the EK that frequent or them being any more aggresive. As with any animal you will see more at certain times of the year in certain locations.
One thing that is up and on a steady incline is human encounters, there is more people in the outdoors at all times of the year. It may even be that there is more bears killed now in certain MUs then
when there was a hunting season, and in reading some of this thread and others with those willing to do illegal stuff/poach etc it is quit possible.
As far as bringing meat out dont agree with it at all. Have hunted bears shot bears guided them, helped others and not one was ever done intended for meat, although some was eating. If ever get the chance to hunt them again
i will and if those that dont even hunt them like bugle and stoneram get there way to have to bring meat out i will but bring it home then return it to the bush.
As far as those that like to keep labeling it trophy or meat hunting dont agree its just hunting in my opinion, but for those that do well a couple things to look at according to the stats most say they meat hunt
and according to some people/groups hunting can have a impact on wildlife so meat hunters are doing more damage to wildlife and there numbers.
If you now let a legal ram go to look for another or a small legal 4 point to look for something bigger then your not really hunting for meat but a trophy according to there terms.

Here we go again. meat hunters doing more damage???. Pack the meat out and if you want to dump it once home thats your prerogative. And yes i would like to see the meat packed out I have no problem with that and would advocate for it.

Downtown
03-06-2022, 08:34 PM
If a Moose gets chased by Wolves and in the process falls over a cliff and dies its remains gets eaten by the Wolves and many other Critters, Birds and Mice very little remains.
If a Hunter paying a lot of Money for Licences, Gear and associated Services kills a Moose and takes the whole Carcass home to feed his Family, very little benefits other Critters but if he is a Trophy hunter taking only the Antlers all the other Critters benefit too.

What is more beneficial for the Wilderness and Government ?

If you are able to think this trough you come to the same conclusion then any other rational Person.

Cheers

stoneramhunter
03-06-2022, 08:53 PM
If a Moose gets chased by Wolves and in the process falls over a cliff and dies its remains gets eaten by the Wolves and many other Critters, Birds and Mice very little remains.
If a Hunter paying a lot of Money for Licences, Gear and associated Services kills a Moose and takes the whole Carcass home to feed his Family, very little benefits other Critters but if he is a Trophy hunter taking only the Antlers all the other Critters benefit too.

What is more beneficial for the Wilderness and Government ?

If you are able to think this trough you come to the same conclusion then any other rational Person.

Cheers

Thanks for your concern and im rational and no i dont agree with you. Now youre suggesting as a guide and the fact someone pays a lot of money they can kill a moose and leave the meat behind.??? In Alaska that is criminal. you take all the meat and that means all the meat. guides included.

srupp
03-06-2022, 09:19 PM
hmm in the areas i have seen grizzlies in the past..i am seeing more sign and more grizzlies.. Horsefly/Black creek/Lemon lake...Hen INGRAM lk...but dont seem more agressive..IMO.
I have eaten grizzly meat on many occasions..usually the individual with me wanted to try some.usually back straps are chosen.
i would NEVER try grizzlies that are chowing down on salmon...GAG..
Steven

Bugle M In
03-06-2022, 09:20 PM
There is always going to be those one side of the fence or other amongst hex members.
What I can say is this.
I live in LM central only blocks from city hall for over 20 years now and lived my whole life in the LM.
I probably know 100 or more folks in the area.
I have only met 1 other hunter.
That means the rest are of the non hunting community.
Very few have I met are truly Anti’s.
The majority are okay with hunting.
BUT, there is one point they ALWAYS make.
”As long as it is for meat”, they are fine.
Now all of you can say what you want, stick out your chests, or whatever gets
you off.
Like it or not, the truth of the matter is, the non hinting
community is starting to dictate a lot of what is going to happen.
Yes, they certainly don’t always understand all the facts.
And don’t expect them to ever do so either.
Just keep in mind what is “ on their mind”.
If you want support to continue your hunting, it might be
in your best interest to “ start listening”.
We might get our Gbear hunt back maybe one more time if we are lucky.
Although I wouldn’t hold my breath.
I would put my money on sheep or goat being the next to be banned.
So, you can tell folks they are “stupid”.
But, how far will that get you?
How far had it gotten us so far?
At the end of the day, your not fighting a hunter like me.
But go ahead.
I always have supported hunters regardless of my personal views.
Its the non hunting community you all should concern yourselves with.
Some of us are only stating what might “ help the cause”.
Your choice at the end of the day.
Just be satisfied with you beliefs and how it may actually turn out.
Its working out all so well so far.

elker
12-04-2022, 05:05 PM
I would prefer bringing the meat for human beings to eat than leaving it behind for other animals. If you kill a bear in a deep forest, unlike on a top mountain ridge, the chances are the meat will rot for nothing before being possibly found by other animals.

on the other hand, I truly believe that even we agree to pack the meat home, the antis will not allow the government to restore the grizzly hunt.

Treed
12-04-2022, 06:01 PM
Bugle M in and Stonerram you both have great points and I agree with your perspectives. I think we might still have a grizz hunt if it had been a meat hunt. Maybe not a much better chance it would be around but still a difference. I don’t want to hunt grizz but I wouldn’t speak out against it as long as it was done based on good population estimates and management principles. We are on the precipice of losing our hunting rights because it’s becoming unacceptable, as Bugle points out, the 100-1 crowd outnumbers us. Being in your face with the stuff the vast majority of people in BC find distasteful is going to accelerate that process of us losing the privilege to hunt certain species. E.g., dumping meat in the woods after ‘meating’ a legal requirement. Ethics are what drive what is legal or not, albeit legality has some lag time, and ethics are changing. For hunting to remain legal, we need to take and ethical approach to hunting and drive, or at least be a thoughtful contributor, to the conversation that frames hunting. Ethics are reflective of the times and society we live in and they are changing as we become increasingly urbanized and separated from the whole concept of what food is and how it lands on the plate. It’s frustrating to have to justify something that every hunter feels to the core is good and natural, but we can’t be stuck cursing in the woodshed while the conversations happen at the kitchen table because the decisions will be made without us.

tomcat
12-04-2022, 07:17 PM
If you kill a bear in a deep forest, unlike on a top mountain ridge, the chances are the meat will rot for nothing before being possibly found by other animals. Absolute BS.

Treed
12-05-2022, 01:02 AM
Absolute BS.
Depends on what you mean by other animals. I’ve found deer and elk that totally went unscavenged by anything larger than a raven. The insects and rodents will always find them and maybe the scavenger birds, but not necessarily the larger critters.

LBM
12-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Depends on what you mean by other animals. I’ve found deer and elk that totally went unscavenged by anything larger than a raven. The insects and rodents will always find them and maybe the scavenger birds, but not necessarily the larger critters.
Could depend on how they die, ive seen some that have died from sickness etc that others wont touch, and livestock that have been euthanized, sometimes nothing will touch it.

tuchodi
12-05-2022, 10:40 AM
After hunting up the Tuchodi for over 45 years we have not noticed more grizzlies but after the hunting ban, they became less scared of humans. From 1973 until 2000 we had never lost an elk to the grizzlies and after that we started to notice that when they heard a shot, they would come to see what it was. the last 10 years we would lose at least one elk each year and a few years we have lost up to 3 elk in a year. Never had to shoot any but it came close a few times.

Bugle M In
12-05-2022, 10:59 AM
I watched a home video of a group hunting up by Redfern lake.
They were shooting long distance at a Caribou in a large bowl on one side.
Other side had a Grizz feeding.
Once the bullets started flying, the Grizz took off running straight for the Caribou!
They had to wait several days to retrieve antlers.

tomcat
12-05-2022, 11:11 AM
I’ve found deer and elk that totally went unscavenged by anything larger than a raven. The insects and rodents will always find them and maybe the scavenger birds, but not necessarily the larger critters. That is an unusual/rare situation in my experience. In most situations carcasses will be cleaned up in a week or two by bears, large and small predator/scavengers, birds of prey and ravens.

Treed
12-05-2022, 11:46 AM
That is an unusual/rare situation in my experience. In most situations carcasses will be cleaned up in a week or two by bears, large and small predator/scavengers, birds of prey and ravens.

Yes, I agree with you. Most of the time something big finds it and the carcass get spread around and the cracked bones and teeth marks are good evidence of this.

elker
12-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Last month, my hunting partner had to dive in the chilling river hole to retrieve the black bear that I shot. Sorry for the seagulls, it is surely making more sense for human to use the meat.

Deer_Slayer
12-29-2022, 10:54 AM
wow that was a pretty awesome standoff

Opinionated Ol Phart
01-01-2023, 12:15 PM
Another perspective from the US.... https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/grizzly-bear/grizzly-bear-meat-is-it-fit-for-dinner