PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on larger tablet style GPS for use on River Boat

msawyer
02-24-2022, 11:39 PM
Does anyone have recommendations or experience with large tablet style GPS units. It will be mounted on a boat helm so size/weight is not an issue. Something with inReach would be nice... Thoughts?

BimmerBob
02-25-2022, 12:14 AM
What about just using an Apple iPad or Android Tablet with a nice mapping software. I notice a lot of YouTube Sailing channels seem to be using them. Not sure if they will have the software you want to use but I just use Google Maps on mine once I upload the map area I need. Might be worth a try for you...

hurley16
02-25-2022, 06:26 AM
Georefrenced map on ipad amd use "avenza" mapping app. Have to ensure your ipad has GPS capabilities though. Some models dont.

Other option iis google maps offline function on the ipad. Google it.

Treed
02-25-2022, 07:17 AM
Samsung Active Tab is much more flexible than an iPad. I use one to collect data in the bush. It sits in a pocket in my cruiser vest and definitely is exposed to the elements and rain. I’ve never had one fail and it’s been about 5 years since I switched from the iPad to this. You can pair it with an InReach.

high horse Hal
02-25-2022, 09:04 AM
BRMB is working on a lakes and rivers series, will be interesting to see the detail they come up with for navigating waters

jlirot
02-25-2022, 10:54 AM
I love my iPad with Gaia. Also has BRMB and pairs with my Garmin. Samsung etc pad is probably just as good.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-25-2022, 05:53 PM
Android tablet and Gaia. Just got the 10 inch tablet last week. Will be mounting it in the RZR