PDA

View Full Version : How will new hunting area boundaries impact your sheep and/or moose hunt?

high horse Hal
02-24-2022, 10:59 PM
With all the changes in Reg 7 , you guys must be feeling some pressure to your hunt plans?
Reg 6 is likely to make changes fast to mirror these, so to spread the pressure and avoid lineups
Is this year going to be your last kick at the can for Stone's or Yukon/BC moose?

BCHunterTV
02-25-2022, 01:29 PM
my understanding is its Moose and Caribou in Region 7. And i agree that it will fall onto Region 6 due to added pressure

ElectricDyck
02-25-2022, 02:13 PM
When do regs come out again? After LEH right? When do those come out again? I'm eagerly waiting to see what gets worse this year...

wideopenthrottle
02-25-2022, 03:34 PM
The 2020-2022 Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis is effective from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2022.
from the BC govt site...and this
Corrections and updates: Changes to regulations in 2020/21 or 2021/22 are updated in the online version of the synopsis and specific details are listed on the Hunting and Trapping Regulation Synopsis Corrections and Updates (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis/regulation-synopsis-corrections-and-updates) page.

high horse Hal
02-25-2022, 08:17 PM
my understanding is its Moose and Caribou in Region 7. And i agree that it will fall onto Region 6 due to added pressure

"But rather than addressing the problem of industrial encroachment, the provincial government pursued secret negotiations
that have resulted in a substantial reduction in access by BC resident hunters to the affected region,
a 50 per cent reduction in the harvest of moose
and a total closure of caribou hunting in the Peace-Liard River region of northeastern BC."

The access issue may impact all hunts and all hunters. No map has been published that I can find.

So many BC'ers have their head in the sand over this
Won't Happen In My Hunting Area is the new nimby

high horse Hal
02-25-2022, 08:22 PM
No notice is needed for corrections to be imposed
so regardless of what goes to get printed, changes can come down anytime

J_T
02-28-2022, 09:02 AM
No notice is needed for corrections to be imposed
so regardless of what goes to get printed, changes can come down anytime
And they (changes) will. There is an active discussion about what seasons in R6 for moose may look like as a result of this decision in R7 and current populations in South Skeena.

high horse Hal
02-28-2022, 03:18 PM
Possible impacts to road, air, and water accesses

Bugle M In
02-28-2022, 04:44 PM
And they (changes) will. There is an active discussion about what seasons in R6 for moose may look like as a result of this decision in R7 and current populations in South Skeena.
That's the thing, one are closes down or becomes ridiculously limited, the next area (region) gets impacted.
Hunters want to hunt, and they will go elsewhere, which just ends up being a dog pile situation.
R6/R7 is not my wheelhouse, but I have seen issues in R3 due to R5.
Unless something different is done to actually bring numbers up, you will continue to see this type of domino effect in years to come.
If R4 sheep is LEH (which it will be), you will see sheep hunters make plans elsewhere, most likely up north.
Hunters will hunt, and changes just push hunters elsewhere into already hunter occupied areas.
Until such a time that the new area has to be changed in season or restrictions needed.
I am waiting for R3 MD to see changes shortly, as I think it is coming down the pipe sooner than later as well.
There are certainly concerns being raised by some user groups already.
Great times ahead!

HappyJack
02-28-2022, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure why region 6 would see much of an impact, what is it a 3 or 4 day bull moose opening? A group would have to be nuts to switch your hunt over there to get in on the circus it would be.

J_T
03-01-2022, 08:56 AM
Completely agree, hunters want to hunt. Hunters seek out the open opportunities to hunt. There is lots of evidence where a season is reduced in one area, changed or put on LEH, hunters who pursue in GOS, do move to a different area, and they do have an impact.

Isn't the question, if Gov seems determined on this course, what is it, hunters will give up to continue to hunt?

Hunt based on a choice around opportunity, not plan a hunt following a lottery draw.

LBM
03-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Completely agree, hunters want to hunt. Hunters seek out the open opportunities to hunt. There is lots of evidence where a season is reduced in one area, changed or put on LEH, hunters who pursue in GOS, do move to a different area, and they do have an impact.

Isn't the question, if Gov seems determined on this course, what is it, hunters will give up to continue to hunt?

Hunt based on a choice around opportunity, not plan a hunt following a lottery draw.

Yes you are right hunters can/do have a impact.

HappyJack
03-01-2022, 09:46 AM

There will be a lot more poaching goin on for sure. And I imagine there will be some court cases re: resident vs non resident allocations. WHich I'd happily donate towards as there is no way 25% of LEH allocations should be given to outfitters to sell to the wealthy, they can always hunt in Africa if they want guided hunts.

blackbart
03-02-2022, 07:40 PM
What is proposed for region 7? My apologies if it is here and I missed it.

high horse Hal
03-03-2022, 09:45 AM
What is proposed for region 7? My apologies if it is here and I missed it.best to read it here

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?168786-Peace-Region-Moose-and-Northern-Cariboo

huntingfamily
03-10-2022, 09:33 AM
If you care about the outdoors and you're rights as a hunter. Then act now! This is another step to letting the government know we don't stand for bullshit decisions.

Now is our chance to walk this thing back. Login with your BC FWID, scroll to the bottom and OPPOSE. Let’s act now and let them know we want our wild places managed with science.

AND SHARE THIS TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO CARES ABOUT THE OUTDOORS.

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/cont...ts-region-wide (https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/close-peace-caribou-hunts-and-reduce-peace-moose-hunts-region-wide)

rageous
03-10-2022, 09:56 AM
Submitted my comments yesterday

Undeniably obvious this is purely political and not based off science
Shame on the government for doing this!

high horse Hal
03-10-2022, 01:41 PM
One land, one law, one people

until the refuge buses are lined up to head to Alberta

Bugle M In
03-10-2022, 07:23 PM
My daughter is 14 now.
I suspect by the time she has children, much will be leh or closed or off limits.
I suspect my great grandchildren will only "read" about how people hunted.