PDA

View Full Version : Mountain caribou pack out weight?

mikek blacktail
02-23-2022, 08:27 PM
Just curious if anyone knows the pack out weight of a deboned mountain caribou and antlers (not bringing cape).I知 planning on it being a giant lol , so a mature animal.I知 planning a solo hunt so I知 trying to estimate how many trips it would take to get it all out.I致e been told I知 crazy but I like a challenge

BCHunterTV
02-23-2022, 09:13 PM
Ive shot 3 and theyve averaged about 130lbs deboned

mikek blacktail
02-23-2022, 09:40 PM
Ive shot 3 and theyve averaged about 130lbs deboned
And that was mountain caribou, I heard 200-220 with cape. Thanks

Trekker
02-23-2022, 10:11 PM
My 337" large bodied bull from last year was around 165 lbs deboned meat and around 30 pounds for the head, euro no cape. Expect at least 3 trips off the mountain if you got to travel some distance. Ive been on two other caribou kills and they were in the 140 - 150 pound range deboned.

jrhunter
02-23-2022, 10:14 PM
From my limited experience, 2 bulls, we were right around 220 lbs. Hinds were 40ish, fronts boned out with neck attached was closer to 50lbs each. I would say 220 lbs, expect more they are heavy.
If I was solo and spiked out I would expect 2 very heavy trips or 3 decent loads.
It will be a grind, good luck

Downtown
02-24-2022, 12:46 AM
3 trips for one Guy. Make sure you take out the Antlers on the first trip, second trip Mr. Griz may want to argue with you.

Cheers

digger dogger
02-24-2022, 06:52 AM
I walked my bou to the lake in two knee buckling trips, wore a patch on my hips.
Heaviest loads I’ve packed
miles. It was brutal, but I went back a few years later. ��
It was worth it. I removed the antlers to reduce the weight.
I’d say 130-160lbs.

Ed George
02-24-2022, 09:27 AM
You are obviously not paying attention, the government are closing cariboo hunting as part of the compensation for the industrial impacts on treaty 8 and that includes region 6 as well.

ryanb
02-24-2022, 03:33 PM
Pack all the meat and antlers at least a few hundred yards from the carcass before you leave for multiple trips.

mikek blacktail
02-24-2022, 09:10 PM
Thank guys for the info , makes me a little more confident in my decision.

msawyer
02-24-2022, 11:01 PM
You are obviously not paying attention, the government are closing cariboo hunting as part of the compensation for the industrial impacts on treaty 8 and that includes region 6 as well.

Can you please provide a factual basis for your claim... It would be appreciated

walks with deer
02-25-2022, 12:51 PM
Can you please provide a factual basis for your claim... It would be appreciated

This is true better start paying attention...

Caribou you need to take the antlers first for compulsary inspection.. always movemeat away from killsite. Never have weighed one but assume 3 trips

mod7rem
02-26-2022, 11:08 AM
4 guys can carry deboned meat, antlers and cape from a big mature bull in one trip. Not light, but comfortably heavy. The antlers add a whole lot of awkwardness that is worse than compact weight. Three guys with everything is a heavy load in one trip.
Our experience with reg 6 caribou is that deboned meat on big bulls is 180+ lbs. The meat from a bull this year weighed 188 lbs at home before we started to butcher into steaks, roasts, etc. That痴 the total amount of deboned meat weight we packed back to camp. That includes shank, neck and rib meat, but with big chunks of fat already removed in the field. But does not include organ meat incase you plan on taking the liver and heart.

mikek blacktail
04-27-2022, 12:44 AM

i posted this before all government barter with are wildlife happened.

Astepanuk
04-27-2022, 12:02 PM
3 of us packed out my Caribou fully deboned on our last trip to BC luckily it was only a mile to the lake then was able to boat across to camp. I didn't bother tying the larger rack to my pack it was easier to through over my shoulders and hold the antlers in my hand.

Mudsey
04-27-2022, 03:17 PM
My partner and I each got a caribou around the same time. Mine was 4km from camp and my partners' was 3km. Between the 2 of us we were able to bring out 1 caribou in a trip. We packed one one day and went back the next day for the 2nd one. My pack was ~90lbs each trip and my partners was ~140lbs each trip. We got about 360lbs of deboned meat out of the pair.

CheesyLimper
04-27-2022, 03:46 PM
Solo, I would say at least 2 trips. We got two last time I was out between the two of us. Mine was bigger at about 180 lbs boned out, hers ~ 150. Mine was a good bit of exercise in one trip, granted I was 5 and half months after two knee replacements.

Ron.C
04-27-2022, 04:13 PM
i posted this before all government barter with are wildlife happened.

We hope to be on a Caribou hunt this fall as well, but are preparing for bad news if our govt sold us out....

In any case, I asked the same as your initial question to a friend who has been on may caribou hunts and was told to expect 140 to 180 pounds after dressing plus head and cape (if you are taking it).

I've done a few elk by myself in some pretty snotty locations and figure if I can do that, I could do a solo bou.

Like any of my solo hunts, I'd let weather and terrain be the determining factor on how far back I shoot any big animal.

BCHunterTV
04-27-2022, 06:55 PM
tahltan is preparing for the pressure from the "proposed" closure in 7b. reading between the lines doesnt sound like 6 with get hit this year

We hope to be on a Caribou hunt this fall as well, but are preparing for bad news if our govt sold us out....

In any case, I asked the same as your initial question to a friend who has been on may caribou hunts and was told to expect 140 to 180 pounds after dressing plus head and cape (if you are taking it).

I've done a few elk by myself in some pretty snotty locations and figure if I can do that, I could do a solo bou.

Like any of my solo hunts, I'd let weather and terrain be the determining factor on how far back I shoot any big animal.

MDR
04-27-2022, 07:50 PM
2 trips. I squeezed an entire deboned bou and camp into/onto my pack one year. Made it about 12 steps before putting it down and repacking.
Not so young and dumb anymore, though not yet old and wise either. Good luck on your hunt.

264mag
04-27-2022, 08:35 PM
Solo, I would say at least 2 trips. We got two last time I was out between the two of us. Mine was bigger at about 180 lbs boned out, hers ~ 150. Mine was a good bit of exercise in one trip, granted I was 5 and half months after two knee replacements.

What a beast! Two knee replacements and still packing meat. Good on you Cheese!

blackbart
04-27-2022, 08:52 PM
Close to twenty years ago took one big bull and our light overnight camp out in one trip back to base camp 7km away. This was two young fit guys. Now it would be four trips. I had the rack on my pack and the highlight was another bull challenging me at about five yards. When we took our packs off at base camp it felt like we were floating. Made some chilli, had a beer and then whiskey and shot a pack rat that night.... Cooked tenderloin and pancakes in the morning and almost gagged. Wont ever shoot another rutting caribou again. Probably wont ever shoot another Caribou for that matter. They do live in spectacular country which makes hunting them fantastic.

BB