PDA

View Full Version : For those who rock a bino harness - what one and what do you carry in it?

Huntingtyler123
02-16-2022, 09:18 PM
I own the classic Alaska guide creations harness with range finder add on. Love how much storage it has and it’s comfy. I carry the obvious binos and range finder in it, but also lug around my licenses/tags, flint, tin of pyro putty, some zap straps , small folding knife, windicator and inreach mini.

wondering what everyone else Packs with them? I remember watching some video of a guy that said when hunting he always has his bino harness on him and for whatever reason your lost or place your backpack down and get turned around , at least you can survive a night with what you have packed in the harness. Makes sense to me

sako79
02-16-2022, 09:26 PM
I am also using the Alaska guide creation classic I love it. My 10 by 42 NL pures sit in it And my range finder sits in the front pocket. Here are the following things I have in mine

Binos
Rangefinder
Havalon and blades
Headlamp and batteries
Some bars

warnniklz
02-16-2022, 09:38 PM
I run the same one.

I didn't get the rangefinder add on, except used one of the bino clips, the tuck it in the elastic top pouch.

Also run lighter, fire starter, chap stick, knife, sharpener, extra ammo, and tags

Rackmastr
02-16-2022, 09:38 PM
Lighter/knife/sharpener/lip chap/etc in the bottom compartment of the ACG

Drop chart/tags in rear pocket.

Ear plugs on one side (wind checker if not rifle hunting) and 2-3 rounds in the opposite side, with a cow call when bow hunting.

Noreasny
02-16-2022, 10:29 PM
Alaska guide creations cub with max pocket along with Bino’s I carry range finder, wind checker, ear plugs, havalon, tags, 4 extra rounds and a lighter

IslandWanderer
02-16-2022, 10:55 PM
Older style of Sitka work great. Not sure I like the newer design.

Badlands bino x is good too.

Livewire322
02-16-2022, 11:08 PM
FHF gear bino harness - blaze orange.
I carry my my rangefinder in a separate pouch on one of the side straps.

I’ll be buying their bear spray holster for it too.

boilerroom
02-16-2022, 11:35 PM
I run the Badlands with 8x42s, rangefinder, wind indicator, license and tags. I like the idea of carrying some survival essentials and will add them. Thanks for the ideas.

whitlers
02-17-2022, 12:10 AM
AGC. Range finder, tags, wind checker, 4 extra rounds, headlamp and inreach mini.

Too many times I've been caught without my headlamp when I really needed it so it stays on me now 24/7

SR80
02-17-2022, 06:48 AM
stone glacier skyline harness with range finder pouch, water tabs and a lighter is all i carry. Nice and compact and light. Not a fan of the "junk drawer" on my chest. :smile:

huntcoop
02-17-2022, 08:04 AM
Marsupial Gear with the range finder pouch. Small and lightweight, carries a mini bic lighter, chapstick, tags and sometimes a wind checker.

Citori54
02-17-2022, 08:37 AM
Alaska Guide Creations Classic with max pocket. Carry range finder, wind checker and lens wipes/cloth.

wallz
02-17-2022, 09:18 AM
I use a Horn Hunter harness.

My range binos, lens rag, and a few allen wrenches for scope, spare battery for scope.

Who wants to carry all the extra accessories on their chest?

jac
02-17-2022, 09:26 AM
Alaskan guide creations cub

i also like the Kuiu harness

Fella
02-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Got you all beat, Vortex harness that comes with the binos. Who doesn’t love worrying about your binos falling out when scrambling up a hill?

ACB
02-17-2022, 11:32 AM
I'v got the AGC, Alaska Classic Max last year so I'v only used them one season but so far they have been great. I use a little bit larger Bino, Minox 8.5 by 52 and the harness handles it great along with a rangefinder and GPS and other goodies. I have a Badlands harness as well but it couldn't handle the weight my bino's, not very strong elastics for the bino weight in my opinion.

Smokeeater
02-17-2022, 06:46 PM
Vortex guide case/ harness. Binos, lense cloth, range finder, havalon knife, spare blades, folding knife, lighter with black tape around it, fire starter, headlamp, spare batteries, reading glasses, 4 spare rifle cartridges and a writst watch. Wow, just realized how much stuff I carry..... been using it for 3 seasons so far and still love it!!!

VLD43
02-17-2022, 09:39 PM
I am running a kuiu because I am trying to keep up with 835. Not as much storage room as some, but it works well for me

KBC
02-17-2022, 09:53 PM
AGC with the front and bottom pockets and the mesh sides. I can't remember the model but I don't see it on their site anymore.
Range finder in the front, tags in the back, mouth reed on top, wind checker in one mesh pocket and a lens pen in the other. Headlamp, spare batteries and fire stuff in the bottom. An accessory pouch with an in reach.

If you are a bow hunter you have to add the Marsupial gear bow hanger hooks. So handy when you need 2 hands to use your binos or take a leak.

https://www.marsupialgear.com/collections/accessories/products/bow-hanger-hooks

jamfarm
02-17-2022, 10:49 PM
FHF w. bear spray holster & range finder pouch.

Weatherby Fan
02-17-2022, 10:56 PM
I’m in the bino harness free club, just can’t get used to wearing one.

sames14
02-18-2022, 12:36 AM
For 49.99 you can't go wrong with the ALPS OutdoorZ. I hang my rangefinder off of one side, wind checker bottle in the side pocket and the lens cloth is attached so can't lose it. Never had a problem with it. Carry Vortex 10x50 no problem at all.

mastercaster
02-18-2022, 03:27 PM
Badlands with Swaros 10x44 EL and a Nikkon Rangefinder,,,,works just fine.

ROY-alty33
02-18-2022, 03:43 PM
Horn Hunter OP-X Combo Bino system

waserwolf
02-18-2022, 05:01 PM
Marsupial for me

todbartell
02-18-2022, 05:06 PM
Ive been using the Sitka Mountain Optics harness for the last few seasons - I really like it. Fits my 42mm binos well, its quiet to use. Rangefinder pouch is handy. I removed the pouch on the other side as I didn't need it. I keep my hunting licenses in the zippered back pouch, a wind checker slides nicely into a smaller pocket. Easy to put on and comfortable

Sprocket
02-18-2022, 09:46 PM
I have been using an FHF harness with rangefinder pouch. One thing you might want to consider is how the bino pouch opens... The FHF opens from the bottom up, whereas others (like Marsupial) open from the top down. Totally a personal preference, of course, but depending on the type of hunting a person is doing, you may prefer one of the other. After years with the FHF, I get annoyed having to reach under the lid to grab my binos - I usually end up folding the lid over and behind the harness to hold it out of the way when i'm walking / glassing non-stop. On the FHF, the side pockets are SO tight you can only get certain shapes of wind checker in the pockets. I will be moving to a top fold-down type (like Marsupial) in the coming years. These little things may not bother most, but I don't want to think about this annoyance - I want to focus on the experience. Just my two cents.

358mag
02-18-2022, 09:55 PM
Been using a plain and simple Kuiu harness , works great Bino's with a small lens cleaner in the side pouch . I hate having a small suitcase of stuff- crap hanging off my neck and front shoulders .

BrookTrout
02-18-2022, 10:17 PM
Alaska guide creations kodiak cub with max pocket, holds my 10x42s, sig rangefinder, black diamond flare headlamp, lighter, 4 spare rounds, wind checker. Lens cloth. It’s my mini pack, could damn near survive off all the crap I put in it

Skull Hunter
02-19-2022, 06:54 AM
I've got the mystery ranch with the bear spray holder on the bottom. Although I haven't tried many a lot of them just look so bulky on your chest and I'm not a fan of that. In addition to my binos and bear spray I carry a lens pen, bic lighter, tags, and mouth reeds in the front pocket. All my survival gear stays on my person (in my pant pockets) as that way there is little possibility to be separated from it.

Redthies
02-19-2022, 10:11 AM
I’m in the bino harness free club, just can’t get used to wearing one.

I have one, but find myself hating it more and more all the time. I wish someone made a good one that would attach to the waist belt of my pack. I tend to carry my lever gun cradled across my chest and the bino harness just gets in the way. I do have my scope on QD rings, so I can pop it off and use it as a monocular if need be. Binos can stay in the pack until I sit and glass.

TyTy
02-19-2022, 12:31 PM
I use the Butler Creek harness, no case. I find the cases big and bulky. I want quick easy access to my binos as they are the one piece of gear that is used the most. Just zip up my jacket or vest if they need some protection.

Sitkaspruce
02-20-2022, 08:38 PM
I had to go different that most others and went with this one about 5 years ago.

https://outdoorvisiongear.com/collections/bino-harnesses/products/ridgetop-bino-harness

What I like is the silent magnetic open/closure, fully closed, built in rain cover and that it opens outwards. Well made, fits my Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x42 binos perfectly and customer service was excellent when I was asking a ton of questions.

They now have a new 2.0 version.

Cheers

SS

Greenthumbed
02-20-2022, 09:22 PM
Mystery Ranch harness for me. Main compartment I have my Nikon Monarch 7 10x42. Front pocket carries tags, PAL, three extra cartridges, drop carts, lens pen, bic lighter. In the side pouch I have a windicator. In the other I carry mouth reeds. On one of the side straps I have my range finder. I also have the bear spray holster that rides on the bottom of the harness. After reading through the other comments I might add the fire starter things I got for Christmas.

Squamch
02-21-2022, 09:14 AM
Badlands harness for me. Has a zip lock of .22 shells in the bottom if it, and a small roll of electrical tape.

steel_ram
02-21-2022, 09:41 AM
Long camera strap slung over my neck and one shoulder. Bino's pulled under and behind my arm when not in use. No need for any expensive gadgets or bulk.

Redthies
02-21-2022, 02:20 PM
Long camera strap slung over my neck and one shoulder. Bino's pulled under and behind my arm when not in use. No need for any expensive gadgets or bulk.

I like this idea, but how do they handle the rain?

SR80
02-22-2022, 06:49 AM
I like this idea, but how do they handle the rain?

they get soaked :grin:

ElectricDyck
02-22-2022, 10:39 AM
I use the AGC with the basement pouch, I like the idea of carrying the kitchen sink on my chest. If you head off after an animal and things go wrong I have fire, delorme, extra ammo, tags, licences, range finder, binos, some fishing line hooks and flies, wind checker, smart phone. All at easy access. If you attache the big water bladder attachment you can throw some snacks and a rain jacket in...

My only complaint is when its hot and you are just wearing a t shirt the straps seem to ride up and rub on the base of my kneck, seems extra bad when you are wearing bug dope...

Redthies
02-22-2022, 08:25 PM
they get soaked :grin:

Of course they do! :mrgreen:

BowHunterCR
02-23-2022, 05:48 PM
https://alaskaguidecreations.com/products/kodiak-c-u-b-with-m-a-x-pocket

10x42, rangefinder, in reach mini, wind checker on the sides, tags in the back and headlamp on the bottom. Comfortable and doesn't interfere shooting with a rifle or a bow.

high horse Hal
02-23-2022, 07:40 PM
Hate the chestcase too
I found a simple pouch that I rigged onto the shoulder straps of my daypack, just for weather protection and keep them in close
The binos themselves are still hanging by the 2" neoprene neckstrap, loose and easy to handle, but then supported slightly when in the pouch
I find this more versatile, choices to make w/ or w/o day pack, w/ or w/o rain gear,
In and out of truck, on and off of horses, running saw or axe,etc etc no way I want the clutter of a chestcase

chef777
03-04-2022, 11:18 PM
Marsupial for me. Rangefinder pouch and the bear spray holster underneath.