PDA

View Full Version : I need new tires?

Frango
11-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I have a one ton dodge with factory issue bfg rugged trail.These tires suck.On my hunting trip this year I almost went into the ditch more than once because of mud.I'm looking for a good AT tire that works for hunting/camping and my wife's daily driver.I have narrowed it down to BFG At's ,Bridgestone revo's or toyo At's.Anyone with good or bad experience with these?? Help ?? PS Because my wife uses the truck to go shopping I can't go mud TA.

Shooter
11-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I have had a couple sets of BFG A/T's and would definately recommend them. They are aggressive enough for most hunting applications and wear extremely well. The aggressive tread tends to thro some rocks tho so I would suggest some mud flaps.

Big7
11-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Havn't been too happy with BFG at's...unless they are a bit bigger tire so that the tread is open enough to throw mud...have a buddy who had them on a 1/2 ton ford and when you get into clay you might as well have slicks on! (been in trucks with bigger BFG's and they are good)

We use Toyo M55's on all our work trucks (8 one ton diesels) and we use them all year round on gravel, mud, snow, ice and highway and they are pretty good - they seem to wear well with the weight of the diesel in the front. Most other tires seem to go bald within 20 to 40 thou km.

Shooter
11-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Mine are 285/65 r17's which are equivalent to 33" tires. You need to remember that no AT tire is gonna chuck mud like a mudder and cant be compared to them in an offroad situation. When you put the BFG up against other AT's they fair very well. There arent many AT tires that will do very well at all in clay

270WIN
11-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I just put the dunlop rover rv/xt on my truck i was very happy with them last week on my moose hunt. that was the first time out so can say how they ware but they like to pick up the rocks.

Steeleco
11-16-2007, 10:42 PM
If money is free'er I'd mount Revo's best tire out there when I was shopping, but they are much more than the deal I got on BFG's. Both good, just one's a little better!!

Look up http://www.1010tires.com/ (http://www.1010tire.com) for lots of good info.

zigman
11-16-2007, 10:44 PM
i am having the same dilema and have narrowed my search to the Toyo A/T and the BFG A/T.
Toyo is cheaper and is actualy a well constructed tire.
BFG has been around forever and has a great reputation. I just need to decide which one... Choices for Dodge 20" wheels is limited...and expensive.

Stresd
11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Lots of BFG At Clones out there. Excellent tire made by BFG for other Brand names. Why pay for the snowflake.

brotherjack
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Suck it up and buy some real off-road tires (at a minimum, BFG mudders, SuperSwampers are better, etc. Kumho MT's if you're cheap). You'll quickly get used to the both howling sound they make on the highway, and the fact that you can take forestry roads at prodigious speed without slippin and slidin. You'll even spare your drivetrain a lot of abuse, as four wheel drive becomes needed really only in thick mud or snow. Real off-road tires really do make that much difference. As much as I'd like nice quiet street tires sometimes - I can't bear the idea of going back to the way things used to be off-road (oh look, some gravel - better put er in four low, or we're sliding off this puppy)....

Ask me how I know. :)

ribber
11-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi I'm doing the same research as you, Here's what I know, BFG's suck !!!!I've had tread separtion problems with them on 2 trucks, What I use now and are 4 years old approx 130000 k/m are Goodyear Wranglers in size 305/70R16 on a 96 F250 Powerstroke, what I might try if the Goodyears are now too pricey are Toyo A/T's in 315/75R16, a couple of inches taller and just as wide [12.2"] Good luck

.270boy
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
BFG allterrains will fair you very well for what you want. Had a set on my jeep when I bought it with very good tread still on them. They work great on wet roads, impressively well in snow (onroad and off). In the mud they just turn to slicks like any other allterrain tire...

If you want some tires that will clean out in the mud a LOT better, yet are still fairly quite, look into the ProComp X-terrains, there kind of a mix between an allterrain and mudterrain, so there still pretty good on the road. (two of my buddies are running them right now in 33x12.50, one on a jeep and one on a dakota).

Me? Im running superswamper TSLs, there loud, knobby and rock offroad.

.270boy
11-16-2007, 11:14 PM
heres the Xterrains...... there really quite a tight tread pattern for being a "mud tire". Plus will make your truck look way cooler.

http://images.andale.com/f2/112/103/11582461/1090151340807_tires_xterrain_01.gif

Phil
11-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I've had three sets of BFG ATs over the years and have found that they always plug up very easily.

The last set I bought were made by Delta. I sold them with my previous truck but was quite impressed with them in the mud and snow. For a mud terrain tire they were quiet and smooth on the road. I paid about $140.00 per tire and if I can find them in the appropriate rating for my new truck I will put them on when the stock tires wear out.

http://www.deltatire.com/catalog/tireDetails.asp?tID=21&tCatID=2&tireCat=LT

Phil
11-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I see .270Boy beet me to it. Nice to see great minds think alike

moose hunter
11-16-2007, 11:47 PM
cooper discoverer mud and snow, they lasta long time they work very good in the mud, or the bfg mts also work good but as said up more 33 or bigger is better.

Allen50
11-17-2007, 12:30 AM
i have a big dodge and i run BFG's and there good tires, that is what i ran on my jeep, and on my big chev, etc,,, good tires, and last good too, good off road and on road,,well good luck in what ever you do,,,

bsa30-06
11-17-2007, 12:08 PM
i am having the same dilema and have narrowed my search to the Toyo A/T and the BFG A/T.
Toyo is cheaper and is actualy a well constructed tire.
BFG has been around forever and has a great reputation. I just need to decide which one... Choices for Dodge 20" wheels is limited...and expensive.

zigman....i recently (within the last year) put cooper discoverers s/t on my dodge also in 20 inch and your right not cheap, but so far i'am very happy with them.You may want to have a look at them before making your final decision.

OOBuck
11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Michelin LTX, will never let you down.

brianscott
11-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Ive got a set of TOYO M55 tires on my truck in a 265 70 17, these are Toyos severe duty tire as they call them. I absolutely love them, they go well in the mud(not as good as a mudder tire,but still pretty dam good), but you will get about triple the life out of them in comparison. Since you are running a deisel I would recommend these because of the weight, maybe sipe them for winter. These tires are an excellent choice. I have a set of these on my 2007 Ford and I was one of the few guys who could get around easily when breakup came around, the camp parking lot was a mess but i drove in and out of it like it wasnt even there. Also the on road noise is very good for this tire, they work well even on wet roads. Ive never encountered any problems with them either, no flats, delaminations,cupping or sidewall issues.

I run all my stuff hard and I woiuld reccomend these, by the way I worked at a Tirecraft putting these on forestry and Tolko trucks and they love them

Just my opinion, based on my experiences

sparky300winmag
11-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I WOULD NOT recommend the Toyo A/T ,i put them on my '05 f350 and they really suck and they were $350 a tire 265/75 x 18".I'm looking at buying a new set my self probably the Toyo Muds or something else with an aggressive tread for the mud and snow.

rugeer
11-17-2007, 03:54 PM
I have tried other tires over the years and allways gone back to bfg a/t 's, just about lost my truck, camper and trailer with a brand new set of michelens, got home went back to tire store that I bought them from and put a/t's back on

cainer
11-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I have the BFG's T/A KO 's on my F250, and they're awesome...but at 325 bucks a piece-they should be. I drive them in Whistler/Pemberton area, all snow and off road mud conditions and haven't been stuck yet. Have a look at the Nitto Terra Grappler tires too, they look pretty good and have a fairly good rep.

Jetboater
11-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I have had a lot of tires over the year and I drive a ton, I have had BFG muds and ATs I have had Mickey Thompsom baha claws, cooper ST and Proc comp, after Owning my Toyo MTs I will never own any thing but....
on my dodge I am running 35 X12.5 and can bareley hear them, if you want to come take my truck for a burn let me know

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/P5190308-1.jpg

ruttinbuck
11-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I chose the Cooper Discover St 265\70-17 for my ford half ton this fall.5000km so far and very happy with them,not too loud,fairly aggressive tread pattern.Seem to work well in mud,a co-worker has long wear with them pulling a horse trailer behind his 3/4 ton so I am betting great wear as well for me.RB

Frango
11-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I have had BFG AT's on my 92 Cummins.They did not last and they sucked in mud,so Im staying away from them this time.I like your tires on your truck blacktail,but like I said my wife drives the truck more than I do.They are a little to aggressive.I'm leaning towards the new Bridgestone dueler At revos.I'm hoping someone has had experience with them.. blacktail is your truck a 5.9 or 6.7? mine is a 07 5.9

Jetboater
11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
my truck is the 5.9 o07, I was a little worried about on the pavement as well but they have held up really well, they are easy to drive as well with no rubbing, and no leveling kit so dont be afraid, the only thing you worry about is the height a little for people to get in , I am at about 75% tread with 35000 KMs on it , I got the truck in May. so I am pretty happy with the boots

horshur
11-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Suck it up and buy some real off-road tires (at a minimum, BFG mudders, SuperSwampers are better, etc. Kumho MT's if you're cheap). You'll quickly get used to the both howling sound they make on the highway, and the fact that you can take forestry roads at prodigious speed without slippin and slidin. You'll even spare your drivetrain a lot of abuse, as four wheel drive becomes needed really only in thick mud or snow. Real off-road tires really do make that much difference. As much as I'd like nice quiet street tires sometimes - I can't bear the idea of going back to the way things used to be off-road (oh look, some gravel - better put er in four low, or we're sliding off this puppy)....

Ask me how I know. :)

MT are not very good on ice specially wide ones.

moose hunter
11-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I dont think he needs anything extreme i wouldnt put anything better then a bfg tire on a truck that your not guna take mud boggin or just put the more agressive tiresd on for hunting season, although on my brothers 4x4 he has trxs m/ts by interco(best tire company that exists) and we hit the ditch because hes dumb but also just put it in 4 and drove out clearance was a big factor but the tires did well, maybe lift your truck aswell alot more then tires can be blamed for getting stuck im assuming most of the gusy that like the bfg really know how to drive in the mud.

Sako 300 win mag
11-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Me and my Buddys all run the Yokohama Geolander A/Ts Great tires not too bad on the wallet

catwelder
11-18-2007, 09:01 PM
One other option is to go with a good mud tire which i have seen a few listed on this thread and have your local tire dealer sipe (cut grooves) in them for around 25.00 per tire. This will give you the best performance in all your off road applications as well as a good winter traction. My best advise for tires is if you can at all help it go with what works, not the best $value$. I personaly run Super Swamper tsl's and hate the road noise but they cant be beat once you hit the trail. I used to run bfg m/t's siped all year and have no complaints but do prefer the Swampers.

scoot
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
A decent handling tire, something that won't be crappy on ice like a mud terrain tire, but is still great for off road is the BFG Commercal. Big O also sells a very similar tire that is available in bigger size but does not come in anything better than 8 ply. I do like the BFG AT as I have gone though 4 sets of them, but that is the problem, they wear very fast, especially if your 1 ton is a diesel.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfg/productIdSubmit.do

mtnmannbc
11-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I agree with big7. I have a one tonne dodge and got bf goodrich all terrains because they didn't make a toyo m55 tire for a 17" wheel yet. The bf's were the worst tire I have ever had. Absolute crap! Finally they made a M55 toyo for 17" wheels and I am back. The last set of M55 I had I got 119000 km no sh$#t. My buddies owns a logging company and that is all he runs. Best tire you will ever buy.

Fisher-Dude
11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
My buddy had Toyos on his F350 and they were crap. They wore quickly to 25% tread, slipped all over on icy roads because they had very little syping, and howled so bad you had to yell in the cab of the truck to each other. They also made the truck ride like a tank. No thanks, I'm not buying Toyos so I can say I'm a logger.

I run BFG ATs on all my trucks, and am impressed with the traction on icy roads. Any AT is a compromise in greasy mud, so I run Mud TAs on my old bush truck in the summer for gooey conditions. The BFGs do wear fast because of the soft rubber compound, so you have to rotate the hell out of 'em.

I like the first half of a tire a LOT better than the second half, so I tend to sell my Mud TAs at half wear and buy new ones. I get about 40% of new price for 40% tread tires, so I'm happy with that. I don't recommend Mud TAs for icy winter use - may as well ride on a set of hockey pucks! But, they sure chew in spring corn snow!

stickbow
11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Michelin LTX, will never let you down.
x2 the michelin ltx is an awesome tire I had bfg ats and they wore quite fast iirc 62000km i needed to replace them,my michelin ltx have 121000km and I'm still going to use them through this winter.

mtnmannbc
11-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Fisher dude, I use toyos m55 because they are a proven tire for anyone that wants heavy use. If you like BF's have at her, like you said, they are soft and sh**t and my experience is you burn through them. If you are referring to me wanting to be a logger I don't need to want to be one, I was one and could be one anytime I want, I just changed professions. Get toyos or bfs what ever you want. BF's will last a long time on Fisher Dudes little 2wd mazda pickup. Good lucky buddy. Go catch some fish.

striperjack
11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree with mtnmann, having lived in Smithers a proven tire was the Toyo M55, 90% of the bush trucks used those tires and they last. I had them on my plow truck and didn't use chains, a foot of snow mixed with ice underneith and it didnt stop that plow.
When own a real truck who cares about tire howl, unless you are a pavement rider, but when you depend on that tire and you are in the bush and dirt roads ...who cares about the noise
By the sounds of it FIsher dude wishes he were a logger....lol:D
TO each their own on what tire you buy...but I definately know the M55 is a proven tire

The Hermit
11-20-2007, 10:15 PM
I asked a similar question on the Frontier site recently... apparently everyone loves the REVO on the small trucks but that they don't stand up well on full sized vehicles...

Fisher-Dude
11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Get toyos or bfs what ever you want. BF's will last a long time on Fisher Dudes little 2wd mazda pickup. Good lucky buddy. Go catch some fish.

Better get the testosterone level checked. It might be up a quart. They are just tires buddy, mellow out.

Striper, I worked in the industry for 14 years, 8 of them in Woodlands. Even have a scaling license. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.

Tanya
11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
cooper discoverer mud and snow, they lasta long time they work very good in the mud, or the bfg mts also work good but as said up more 33 or bigger is better.

Yup, I agree we have them on 4 trucks, and love them. Incredible in the mountains in snow, ice and mud.

mtnmannbc
11-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Fisher Dude, testosterone runs through my veins daily, I am not hot under the collar, you are just a humerous annoyance. I just started on this site and I see your comments on everything, by the looks of it you are a humerous annoyance to most. Are you a little hot? Maybe your little Mazda didn't spark on this cold November morning.