PDA

View Full Version : Skagit/Ross lake

walnutz
02-07-2022, 11:23 AM
Anyone know how bad the floods damaged this area or what shape the road is in currently? Snow levels etc.... Cheers!!

backstrap
02-07-2022, 11:44 AM
The road was completely gone in a few stretches from 12km -18km if I remember correctly. There was a YouTube video of it floating around, I’m sure you could find it. We did quite a bit of work on the highway there in November/December but I haven’t heard of any gear getting sent up the skagit unless the loggers are in there…

Steeleco
02-07-2022, 04:17 PM
One of a few. It's DONE and unless there is a real reason to fix it, it will be some time!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqDOpfEoUl8&t=35s

Bubbacanuck
02-07-2022, 05:53 PM
If you could use an e-bike, dirt bike to get back in there later this year if the roads don't open up...I bet the hunting would be better than it's been in a long time! Based on that video, I assume the roads will be unrepaired for some time

Maglic
02-07-2022, 09:52 PM
One of a few. It's DONE and unless there is a real reason to fix it, it will be some time!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqDOpfEoUl8&t=35s

There is always a reason :)

https://youtu.be/bNSQfQmhlIg

XPEIer
02-08-2022, 08:00 AM
Maglic, that is an interesting video, I was not aware that someone could take an excavator and carve a new road through the bush, pushing over green timber, putting fill into fish bearing waters....

XPEIER

Bubbacanuck
02-08-2022, 02:43 PM
There is always a reason :)

https://youtu.be/bNSQfQmhlIg

Likely can't get past the 12km mark...or best case I assume the bridge at the 19km mark was wiped out and hasn't been repaired

Livewire322
02-08-2022, 03:05 PM
Maglic, that is an interesting video, I was not aware that someone could take an excavator and carve a new road through the bush, pushing over green timber, putting fill into fish bearing waters....

XPEIER
Don’t try this at home, folks!

Pharma
02-16-2022, 09:21 AM
Planning on taking a trip up there once the river opens for fishing, either gonna bike or hike it for a few days. The lack of fishing pressure should make it worth it. Holds a special place in my heart because it’s the place I finally caught my first fish on the fly.

Bubbacanuck
02-16-2022, 10:55 AM
Planning on taking a trip up there once the river opens for fishing, either gonna bike or hike it for a few days. The lack of fishing pressure should make it worth it. Holds a special place in my heart because it’s the place I finally caught my first fish on the fly.

Report back! Be interested to hear what shape it's in. Good luck with the fishing trip!

TyTy
02-16-2022, 12:32 PM
This road will be opened up. It’s under highways jurisdiction. I’m guessing some time come late spring. Lots of recreational areas that the public have an interest in accessing is reason enough, or, they need to post a road closure notice and gate it off for liabilities

walks with deer
02-16-2022, 04:54 PM
I would say zero ethical rules where broken in that video....legal wise probably wouldnt be posting a video.

David
02-16-2022, 06:26 PM
This road will be opened up. It’s under highways jurisdiction.

I think there's also an agreement with the USA - don't quote me on this - for access to Ross Lake.

dmaxtech
02-16-2022, 07:17 PM
I would say zero ethical rules where broken in that video....legal wise probably wouldnt be posting a video.

He says in the video that the guy got permission to bring in a small excavator to build a trail to get the vehicles out.

britman101
02-17-2022, 12:29 PM
If laws were broken I am sure the parties concerned will be contacted by the authorities. If they have to lawyer up to defend themselves it will not be cheap. I can understand why folks want to camp on land that provides beautiful views and recreation. However, when flooding or forest fires are occurring in an area, heed the voice of the authorities and get out when they order you to.

walnutz
03-30-2022, 07:50 AM
Any updates on the road condition or if any repairs had been done to access the area? Cheers

BCHunterTV
03-30-2022, 08:54 PM
Heard 2 weeks ago it was already started

walker1985
03-31-2022, 08:26 AM
can you get to silver lake?

BCHunterTV
03-31-2022, 01:50 PM
yes np getting there

caddisguy
03-31-2022, 02:01 PM
can you get to silver lake?

Last time I checked (just this last weekend) you could get down the main to the lake, but the road that actually goes into the Silver Lake campground, they were still working on that. Rumor has it the equipment is gone from there, but I don't know if the campground is accessible or gated.

Patch work has been done until 11km. After that, if you have a decent truck or SUV you can pass where the 11km slide was (well, I guess I should say "is") and get another couple kms until you get to where what used to be a road and is now just a river... then you see the little muddy side trail. It's like a foot or so of mud. Good 4x4 should be able to pass through, but then you only get another 1km or so before it's no longer passable.

This could all change though, now with the equipment starting on the main and most likely being stored there, it is likely they will block off the main road with security guards until the work is done like they did last year (last year it was blocked at 25km until the 3rd week of April to protect equipment dealing blow down)

Since they had equipment on the Silver Lake road as well as the main over the weekend, security was doing patrols rather than blocking, so we did squeeze in a little camp trip at the side of the road. The crews gave us the nod it was all good. Still had some visits from security though and had to reassure them we got the nod from the crews, and the equipment is safer with us around.

I expect they'll put blocks in place sometime in the near future if not already. I'd be surprised if the much of the road is fixed / open anytime in April. I would guess probably later in May. Those crews sure got their work cut out for them. Crazy to think about how much work needs so to be done.

ccrcc
03-31-2022, 11:08 PM
don't expect to see vehicle access past 18km until 2023 at the earliest. campground will be opened up this year, but there wont be access to ross lake for quite some time.

walnutz
01-03-2023, 02:59 PM
Anyone ventured up that way lately?? Any repairs get done? Cheers

Steeleco
01-03-2023, 03:55 PM
Flew over that area last Thursday on the way to Cranbrook. Seemed like the road was used quite a way towards the lake? Too much cloud to see all the way?

caddisguy
01-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Flew over that area last Thursday on the way to Cranbrook. Seemed like the road was used quite a way towards the lake? Too much cloud to see all the way?

It's been passable all the way to Ross for quite some time now (September I think) minus the gate and security guards.

They don't want anybody in there until they are finished working and all the equipment is pulled out (because theft, vandalism, liability etc)

I was actually a ways back there in November. Long story I can't really talk about :shock:

Hopefully sometime in 2023 it opens up. I'd like to do some flyfishing.

That said, I haven't been there since November, so I am not sure if they are still working or pulled out for the winter, whether or not there is a gate, etc.

walnutz
01-04-2023, 09:32 AM
Where was the gate set up? Thanks!

Vortex hunter
01-04-2023, 02:51 PM
At 6km on the left side still can get into the lake but might be a decent amount of snow in there