PDA

View Full Version : Rut

Nailgunslinger
11-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Whats the latest rut you guys/girls have heard of? It doesnt seem to be on here yet (2-5 sunshine coast), my buddys 2 bucks from here don't smell or have big necks, and are the only 2 deer he saw all season lol, all I see are does, cept in residential. Every hunter I talk to says the same thing, although I'm the only one around here I know who still hunts and glasses. Am I crazy or is this normal? Even road hunting to my spots and talking to people who road hunt ALL the time like my buddy say they've seen does and not bucks. A logger told me he saw 7 in the area I was hunting but I'm sure hes bsing cause I don't see them (I saw a button buck actually , but he was tiny so he lives haha).

boyd050
11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
same here in the kootenays, the whiteys aren't moving much yet I literally see hundreds of does every time I go out, I watched 37 out in a feild tonight and.. you guessed it no bucks, I've seen one little spike in the last few days and nothing chasing does!! ... I'm waiting....patiently!!!:cool:

huntwriter
11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Same here. I have been hunting around Merritt and Kamloops, we have seen lots of deer but most of them were does. Had a chance on a real monster the second last day but had to let him walk because there was just to much obstruction in the way for a clear shot at his vitals. That buck did not look like he is in rut.

Hopefully we head up that way in early December and things might be different then. I was told that the rut around that area gets in full swing around December. Lets hope so.

todbartell
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
mulies been rutting up here for at least the past 9 days, and still going

Nailgunslinger
11-16-2007, 10:52 PM
same here in the kootenays, the whiteys aren't moving much yet I literally see hundreds of does every time I go out, I watched 37 out in a feild tonight and.. you guessed it no bucks, I've seen one little spike in the last few days and nothing chasing does!! ... I'm waiting....patiently!!!:cool:

37! :o Geez on the coast I thought it was sweet when I saw 7 lmao! Even 1-2 is still a good day. :D

magicarrowman
11-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I know they're rutting up in region 3 right now. The mulie I got on the 12th was in full rut.... Huge swollen neck, and stunk something awful. Not to mention that he went to take off, and when he did, I let out a doe bleat, and he turned right around and walk right towards me!

GoatGuy
11-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Seen mature muleys chasing at the beginning of november and ever since, white-tails chasing last weekend. Rubs for both all over, scrapes and bucks grunting away, trashing bush, putting the run on the does.

Will
11-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Seen mature muleys chasing at the beginning of november and ever since, white-tails chasing last weekend. Rubs for both all over, scrapes and bucks grunting away, trashing bush, putting the run on the does.
Yep..........Kamloops area too:razz:
Not so much for Whities here though....:wink:

Barracuda
11-17-2007, 03:42 AM
saw a stunning 4x4 blacktail yesterday, large perfectly symetrical rack for its body size. It was pretty puffed up so i would say the rut has started in the LM

hunter1947
11-17-2007, 04:12 AM
It could be that there are lots of doe's compared to bucks in that area ???? ,thats why you havent seen any bucks????.

trailhunter
11-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Same here. I have been hunting around Merritt and Kamloops, we have seen lots of deer but most of them were does. Had a chance on a real monster the second last day but had to let him walk because there was just to much obstruction in the way for a clear shot at his vitals. That buck did not look like he is in rut.

Hopefully we head up that way in early December and things might be different then. I was told that the rut around that area gets in full swing around December. Lets hope so.

I shot this buck last weekend in the same area and i let me tell you he was in FULL rut. 3 inches from a does ass...............neck puffed up to 38 inches :shock: and he smelt so back my eyes almost were watering.

I think all has to do with the does in the area being in heat or not.

http://www3.telus.net/public/cedarboy/07Picture%20022.jpg

Nailgunslinger
11-17-2007, 07:16 AM
It could be that there are lots of doe's compared to bucks in that area ???? ,thats why you havent seen any bucks????.

It better not be why :confused:... The does also are not spooky one bit, i've stalked to withing 10 feet of quite a few of them and when they do notice me they are alert but don't bolt. One doe had fawns and actually snorted and grunted at me while doing a funny little head tilt ala Jerry Springer show and came towards me! Grouse are starting to show up in seasonal numbers now though, so I think its the weather,sunlight and temperature....I blame global warming.8)

P.S. Its all blacktails here too..

BANG!
11-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Saw one litte spiker chasing a doe two days ago N-G-Slinger here on Bowen. Still don't think the rut has begun properly yet. Watched another little spiker yesterday through the sights of my bow, but thought the better of it and let him grow some more - maybe we'll meet again next year. 8-)

I'm on vacation next week - so I hope the rut will be gathering momentum by then. There's one or two nice four and five points I'm hoping to meet up with locally.

PS - Trailhunter - that's a solid looking buck you brought home - well done!

Jetboater
11-17-2007, 09:38 AM
maybe your not hunting where the bucks are??? blacktails have been chasing since halloween in the valley and were full swing in the rut last weekend.... I cant see it being very different a little ways away...

Nailgunslinger
11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
maybe your not hunting where the bucks are??? blacktails have been chasing since halloween in the valley and were full swing in the rut last weekend.... I cant see it being very different a little ways away...

Well I've hunted from pender to port mellon so basically the entire coast...Almost every bloody day too. I see does everywhere, I find sheds, I see rubs, I don't see bucks. Every hunter I've talked to around here has said the same thing. No bucks. Except for my buddy who has apparently had a horseshoe sewn inside him, and got the only 2 deer hes seen, which happened to be bucks. Seems odd doesnt it?:-? I found a hide today and the front legs of a deer around the area I hunt, don't know if it was poached or not..hide was a pretty messed up job but the legs were neatly sawed off.

1/2 slam
11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Shot a 4 x 5 yesterday. He was with 4 does and stupid. He stunk to high heaven as well.

BANG!
11-17-2007, 06:27 PM
watched a spike fork buck today - unfortunately he was 30 yards away on the other side of a thick stand of young, alder trees. I never got a clear line on him but watched him make his way gently up a slope and away from me. I tried him with a grunt call - and with an oestrus Primus doe lure - but he wasn't in the least bit interested in either - which still makes me think, that he at least, wasn't yet looking for lovin'.

Can any of you guys following this thread (sorry for the hi-jack) tell me which calls are good for blacktails here on the coast? - and how does the phases of the moon cooincide with the rut (if it does at all?)

boyd050
11-18-2007, 05:05 PM
wich brings up an interesting question, I wonder what the buck to doe ratio is here in the kootenays, specifically for whiteys, I would bet 1 to 100 if the last couple weeks is any indication... I'm absolutely sure that getting a doe with my bow in december won't be a problem, bucks... who knows...

WoodOx
11-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I wouldnt classify the kootneys as one area as its huge.
Im sure there are areas with the buck to doe ratio is 1 to 200, but im sure there are also areas where there buck to doe ratio is 1 to 4...

Look somewhere else imo if all you ever see is does

wich brings up an interesting question, I wonder what the buck to doe ratio is here in the kootenays, specifically for whiteys, I would bet 1 to 100 if the last couple weeks is any indication... I'm absolutely sure that getting a doe with my bow in december won't be a problem, bucks... who knows...

GoatGuy
11-18-2007, 08:36 PM

We hunted wt's for a night and a morning last week in Region 4 - saw 4 bucks and probably 20 does between all of us.

Meat goes in the freezer! :wink: