PDA

View Full Version : Where to hunt Kamloops area bucks?

JDR
11-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Heading to Kamloops for week of Nov. 19th for work and hope to get in a couple of evenings of hunting. I know the area a little bit. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go for big mulies? I've heard Red Lake and Indian Gardens are good, but don't want to travel that far. I'm thinking maybe a 30-45 minute drive.

Grandbois
11-16-2007, 01:21 AM
When you find where they are let me know. lol, pretty much anywhere around here there are supposed to be muleys, as for close by, greenstone to the west, jamieson to the north, robbins range to the east, but it all depends what part of kamloops you are gonna be in

JDR
11-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Thank you for the info Grandbois. I'll be staying right downtown.

Will
11-17-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm thinking maybe a 30-45 minute drive.
Head up Lac-du Bois Rd.(stay on the main rd in the grasslands) via Batchelor heights...steer clear of the No shooting areas around Mcqueen lake and Isobel (1km) it's well posted, but plenty of decent areas to Hunt up there.....you can access Jamieson via the O-conner lk road as well as Red Lake area right from Sawmill East.

Try Westsyde Road......poison creek etc. past Jamieson, all the way out to Barriere/ Gorman Lake rd area as well. But this can take as much as an hour to get there....Lots of areas to check out there....slowly coming back since the burn.

Something closer ? try Noble Lake fsr (dairy cr) off of Westsyde rd. ......about 2 minutes past Dairy Rd turn left...looks like a driveway, easy to miss.....just past Blair's Gravel pit...turn left Some decent cuts and some good areas right up there :smile:

Also the Tranquille Dewdrop areas below Red Lake rd........abit busy sometimes as well but what isn't 30 minutes from town:wink:

Happy Hunting !

JDR
11-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Wow, much more info than I expected Will. Thank you very much. I guess if I get one I owe you boys a case of beer, pop, or whatever you drink! :lol:

Ltbullken
11-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Who's giving away all the good spots??!! Darn, everyone will be up here!! :twisted: There' slots of good hunting for sure. One of the biggest bucks I've seen was just 20 mins from my front door AND it was in a shooting area, too, not a 'No Hunting' sign anywhere.

steveo32
11-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Come on guys he asked for big muleys not baby muleys:eek: If you want big muleys i guess you might get real lucky in any of the areas already said, i personally seen a 180" muley this year down by indan gardens, but other then tha ti have not seen a what i call shooter buck anywhere around kamloops. But i guess it is your standards and not mine so you might jsut find teh buck of a life time

browningboy
11-18-2007, 05:30 PM
hunt in kamloops:mrgreen:

JDR
11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
hunt in kamloops:mrgreen:

LOL, no kidding browningboy. The biggest non-typical I've ever seen lives on Munson Mtn right in Penticton. He's untouchable though because not even bows can be legally discharged within city limits :mad:

Here's a real pic of him that a friend of a friend took in summer 2006...ENJOY!

WoodOx
11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
JDR why dont you post a larger pic of your avatar - by the looks of that buck you dont need help finder larger deer :wink:

tracker
11-18-2007, 07:56 PM
hey JDR

that buck was poached last week !!!:evil:

Someone put a arrow in its guts and it ran off,conservation officers have it now..:mad::mad:

JDR
11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
hey JDR

that buck was poached last week !!!:evil:

Someone put a arrow in its guts and it ran off,conservation officers have it now..:mad::mad:

No way...Seriously! How did you find out about it? Do you know who did it? That pisses me off. I enjoyed trying to get pics of him. I ended up getting some good video footage of him last March. Guess I won't be getting any more :sad:

mrdoog
11-18-2007, 09:40 PM
"Come on guys he asked for big muleys not baby muleys If you want big muleys i guess you might get real lucky in any of the areas already said, i personally seen a 180" muley this year down by indan gardens, but other then tha ti have not seen a what i call shooter buck anywhere around kamloops. But i guess it is your standards and not mine so you might jsut find teh buck of a life time"

Oh my, he's looking for a Buck not a Trumpeter Swan.
I will grant you the fact that you and your crew regularily kill "monster" bucks, but I personally find it disdainful that you suggest he's less of a Hunter than you by the fact of the areas he has been directed to hunt.
Please put your Trumpet away, and only blow in heed of the serfs admiring your kill.

Derek_Erickson
11-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Well that was a kick in the nuts

Rubicon500
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
"Come on guys he asked for big muleys not baby muleys If you want big muleys i guess you might get real lucky in any of the areas already said, i personally seen a 180" muley this year down by indan gardens, but other then tha ti have not seen a what i call shooter buck anywhere around kamloops. But i guess it is your standards and not mine so you might jsut find teh buck of a life time"

Oh my, he's looking for a Buck not a Trumpeter Swan.
I will grant you the fact that you and your crew regularily kill "monster" bucks, but I personally find it disdainful that you suggest he's less of a Hunter than you by the fact of the areas he has been directed to hunt.
Please put your Trumpet away, and only blow in heed of the serfs admiring your kill.

Sure sounds like a jealous mainlander to me..I dont see where he suggest the other guys a less of a hunter..Maybee you should go find a "trumpeter Swan" and stuff it where the sun dont shine..Go put in for a LEH doe and come road hunt region 8 like the rest of those clowns..

steveo32
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Hahahhah mrdoog in his post he asked for big bucks and i am just stating that there are not really big bucks in kamloops. I guess the odd one does come out but there seems to be better areas. I guess you must just think cause i can do it i am rubbing it in his face :? Not at all just letting him know not to get his hopes to high cause when all he sees is young bucks and hunters everywhere in the areas that he was told holds big muleys not to get discourged but to find places far away from roads and he will have better sucess!

dana
11-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Damn that Penticton buck is Sweet! Sad, if the story is true. Sure hope the CO's do him justice and get him mounted for display and educational purposes.

JDR
11-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Holy crap, what have I started ! :lol:

JDR
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Damn that Penticton buck is Sweet! Sad, if the story is true. Sure hope the CO's do him justice and get him mounted for display and educational purposes.

I agree...it'd be a real waste not to preserve him.

mrdoog
11-18-2007, 10:50 PM
"Sure sounds like a jealous mainlander to me..I dont see where he suggest the other guys a less of a hunter..Maybee you should go find a "trumpeter Swan" and stuff it where the sun dont shine..Go put in for a LEH doe and come road hunt region 8 like the rest of those clowns.."

Stop trying to cheer me up!

dana
11-18-2007, 10:52 PM
JDR,
You got any hard horn pics of him. Post them up if ya do. Are ya allowed to shed hunt in city limits? Or was he also on Private with access issues?

mrdoog
11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
My apologies Steveo32.

JDR
11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
JDR,
You got any hard horn pics of him. Post them up if ya do. Are ya allowed to shed hunt in city limits? Or was he also on Private with access issues?

No I don't, but do have video of him. We can shed hunt in city limits. During the rut and into the new year he was often seen right on Munson's Mtn, which is a city park. However, I heard he wintered in the surrounding orchards which, of course, are private property and this is likely where he dropped.

M.Dean
11-19-2007, 06:48 AM
The "Big Buck" hunters are right, no big bucks in the Kamloops area!!! Closer to the coast is where you want to be, there was one decent buck here years ago, but it got hit by a car. There went the gene pool!!! Dinks and spikes, thats all thats left, and more "Big Buck" hunters that believe that, the happier i'll be. Hunt around the Toll Booth, thats why they made the parking area so big there! Most of the deer here have ticks and some form of Mange, skinny little things, not worth eating. No,i would say maybe try Vernon or Kelowna, lots of Big Bucks there!!!