PDA

View Full Version : The Great Fraser River Sand Storm '07

Gilmore
11-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Who else witnessed that phenomenon on Monday morning! I was hunting with some buddies around Alkali Lake and have never seen anything like that before.

For those who weren't around the area that day, I have no idea how hard the wind was blowing but some of the gusts would make you nearly fall over. The wind whipped up a sand storm that came from as far down river as I could see and had a cloud that in spots must have had sand and dirt 300+ feet in the air. When it finally caught up with us it was nearly a white out. For about half an hour we couldn't see much more than a couple hundred yards, and right at the river you would not have seen anything, after it settled down it was everywhere, in your eyes, your mouth, your nose, the action in my gun felt like I was cylcing it in a sandbox.

Long weekend around the Gang is a zoo so someone else from HBC must have been around and got to experience the weather! I didn't get any pictures so if anyone has any post them up I'd like to see that again.

Big7
11-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I went for the weekend around Redstone (near Alexis Crk) and I would agree the weather was brutal!! Deer didn't seem to be moving much. We saw a few smaller bucks but no biggins. I only saw one guy with a decent 4 point - he said it dang near ran him over chasing after a couple of does. It was nice though...mid 160's

The wind blew so hard on the way home we were pulling a 5th wheel and the awning had a couple of rotten mounts and the wind ripped the whole thing off the trailer going down the highway!! Never would have thought that'd happen!