PDA

View Full Version : Buying a quad from the states

ryanb
11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
I've been thinking about picking up a second quad, so the wife and I both have one.

I went and had a look at prices on quads in the states lask week and was ABSOLUTELY disgusted to see that quads were aprox 70% more expensive for the higher end models in Canada versus the states. This is obscene. Does anyone have any experience buying one down there? do you know whats involved?

Sasquatch
11-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I've been looking at buying a boat and have noticed a large price difference between WA and here.
From what I can gather, to bring a motor vehicle across the line you need

1. Bill of sale
2. Clear title
3. Proof of insurance (might not be necessary if on a trailer)

You will be required to pay GST and any duty at the border.

I can tell you that before I buy a boat and bring it back I will call the crossing I intend to pass through and ask them what exactly they require.

Good luck, please post the details if you do purchase one.

Big7
11-15-2007, 09:09 PM
We considered purchasing trucks from the US due to lower prices and the dollar difference but there are a few things to consider.....

Warranty may not be valid in Canada (meaning a Canadian dealer won't give you warranty because it was purchased outside of the country)

Speedo's and odometers are in miles not km if this bothers you.

You will have to line up a brokerage company and pay a small fee.

I think the best is if you can get them to meet you at the border with all their paper work in hand. The Ford dealer that I talked to was more than willing to do this - he said they sell 8 to 10 vehicles a day to Can. This dealer was from Seattle.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. Sometimes a hassle can be justified if you are saving thousands!!

Seth
11-15-2007, 10:37 PM
I purchased a quad in Oregon in July. No problem at all. Bought it, drove home, payed taxes at the border and that was it. Still ended up being thousands cheaper than here. Girlfriends dad also bought a Grizzly 700 in the states for $8600 Can. everything in.

rgv
11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
ryan go to quads.ca there are several threads and how-to's for doing that.

having said that, daytona in surrey is selling 450 Kodiaks for 6999 and 700 grizzlys for 8699, which is getting dem close, unless you have the time to spare.

pitbell
11-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Keep in mind that you will not be covered under warranty. Small price to pay I think. Check e-bay. Suzuki 700's (awsome quad) for $6499.

Phil
11-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I picked up a second ATV for the wife a few weeks back and saved big. I bought it second hand privately and arrived at the border with a bill of sale, title, and advertisement stating the asking price. I was through the border in under 10 min including customs. It was very easy and would recomend it to all.

Barracuda
11-16-2007, 04:54 PM
the warrenties are not very long on a quad anyways and you dont need a broker . canadians are getting screwed on quads here (about a third less in the US even after you do all the govt donations and your cost incured in picking it up )for the most part and the only way that will change is if your money is taken elsewhere .

ratherbefishin
11-16-2007, 06:17 PM
what infuriates me is some companies have issued orders to REFUSE to sell new product to Canadains-and the one that takes the cake was a CANADIAN MANUFACTUROR who told US dealers to make a surcharge of up to $3000 on all sales ,if the buyer was taking it back to Canada....The obvious question is-why do they charge their canadian dealers higher prices than their US dealers?

000buck
11-16-2007, 06:30 PM
refusal to accept warrenty i don't buy. if my new f150 quit in marysville washington would the us dealer not fix it under warrenty for me because i bought it in canada? same with a bike or quad you may not get "priority" service but its still under warrenty and head office doesn't like complaints.

RMG
11-16-2007, 06:44 PM
refusal to accept warrenty i don't buy. if my new f150 quit in marysville washington would the us dealer not fix it under warrenty for me because i bought it in canada? same with a bike or quad you may not get "priority" service but its still under warrenty and head office doesn't like complaints.

While living in PG, I purchased a New Ford from Dearborne in Kamloops. Why? Cause it was 3 grand less than the guys in PG wanted. When it came to minor warrenty (recall) the ford dealer in PG, basically told me to take it back to Dearborne, because they couldnt/wouldnt be able to get to it for several months. The day I buy any item for its warrenty will be a cold day in hades.

Jetboater
11-16-2007, 06:50 PM
car manufacturers can and will decline warranty work on vehicles boughgt in the states, as will boat manufacturers and outboard motor manufacturers.. I will warranty a boat bought in canada but will send any boat bought in the US back to its existing dealer, as will all canadian dealers of the boats I sell... for the record if you think making 5-7 % profit is outrageous just look at wha tyou do for a living and what your mark up is in life... we all have over head and we all work hard to make a living...

ryanb
11-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Most vehicle warranties explicitly state whether warranty work in the US/Canada will be covered. I know my last 3 vehicles were covered in both countries. OF COURSE the dealer is gonna tell you its not covered if you buy it down there so you buy it up here for rip-off prices. These are salespeople, and DON'T EVER FORGET THAT. Don't take ANYONES word for it, read the warranty information for yourself and I bet you'll find you ARE covered.

Thanks for the info, hopefully the dollar bounces back up to 1.10 and then things are gonna be looking pretty nice.

000buck
11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
car manufacturers can and will decline warranty work on vehicles boughgt in the states, as will boat manufacturers and outboard motor manufacturers.. I will warranty a boat bought in canada but will send any boat bought in the US back to its existing dealer, as will all canadian dealers of the boats I sell... for the record if you think making 5-7 % profit is outrageous just look at wha tyou do for a living and what your mark up is in life... we all have over head and we all work hard to make a living...

whos complaining about your profit??? got a problem with people not buying canadian. complain to your mla about the azz raping we take at import that makes these things cost so much more here and cuts your bottom line down but if anyone likes to pay more i will drive anywhere in bc to pump out a household septic tank for $150,000 taxes in of course cause i'm a nice guy. Bet ya can and will get it cheaper somewhere else. Am i gonna be a dick about it..... Naw i don't mind I can appreciate how hard you work for your money.

NaStY
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Well Thomas, the last i heard there was more money in service and accessories than the actual sale of the boat. So your saying you wont service people. Hardly seems like hard work to me?

The Hermit
11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I just bought a used Nissan Frontier in the US and brought it home and it was EASY. Do you have to get the quad inspected, provincial/federal?

zigman
11-16-2007, 10:41 PM
I would honestly rather buy a quad up here if, and that is a huge if, the dealer(s) were open to even attempting to match the lower US price. i do understand the whole 'old' inventory thing, but if the local guys actually want to create repeat business, try to give the customer a break. if i were able to save $3000 on a quad locally i could guarantee the fact that i would be coming back to that store for the service and accessories.

ryanb
11-17-2007, 12:04 AM
No kidding...it's not like I want them to match the US prices, but at least try to get A LITTLE closer. Right now they're making it a no-brainer for ANYONE looking to get a big ticket item, be it a new home theatre, vehicle, boat etc....

CanuckShooter
11-22-2007, 11:05 AM
ryan go to quads.ca there are several threads and how-to's for doing that.

having said that, daytona in surrey is selling 450 Kodiaks for 6999 and 700 grizzlys for 8699, which is getting dem close, unless you have the time to spare.

They got a website????

kazul
11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
A friend of mine does this for a living.
You can import by yourself but I'd suggest going with someone who has done it before,they know the laws and loop holes to make it as smooth as possible.

Give him a call and ask what you need to know.He's a very nice guy and easy to talk to.

Duncan Kennedy
604-209-8894 (office)
604-433-4011 (fax)

I hope this helps.:)

Machinist
11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Have a look at this Link it's from BC Sport Bikes, a lot of people are bringing up Bikes from the States because of the lower prices , It's good info for importing a bike or an Atv.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85230

wolverine
11-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I've been looking at buying a boat and have noticed a large price difference between WA and here.
From what I can gather, to bring a motor vehicle across the line you need

1. Bill of sale
2. Clear title
3. Proof of insurance (might not be necessary if on a trailer)

You will be required to pay GST and any duty at the border.

I can tell you that before I buy a boat and bring it back I will call the crossing I intend to pass through and ask them what exactly they require.

Good luck, please post the details if you do purchase one.
Don't forget you also need to pay the one time Importation Fee at the border as well. I think it's $98.00. I'm going to get mine in the new year at I-90 Motorsports in Issaqua. Look them up on the web. They have great prices. Also, I just heard today that Honda Canada is offering up to $3500. in rebates if you buy here. Don't hold me to that though, it's only what I was told.

Cheer.:smile:

The Hermit
11-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Don't forget you also need to pay the one time Importation Fee at the border as well. I think it's $98.00. I'm going to get mine in the new year at I-90 Motorsports in Issaqua. Look them up on the web. They have great prices. Also, I just heard today that Honda Canada is offering up to $3500. in rebates if you buy here. Don't hold me to that though, it's only what I was told.

Cheer.:smile:

$3,500 rebate on Honda quads? I would definitely rather buy Canadian and if that is true it would go a long way to shopping at home!

rgv
12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
yesterday I bought a 2007 Rubicon Canadian Trail for $7099 with the rebate at Carter in Coquitlam. This model MSRP's at $7500 USD stateside.
The rebate is until Dec 31st I think

OOBuck
12-02-2007, 02:03 PM
$3,500 rebate on Honda quads? I would definitely rather buy Canadian and if that is true it would go a long way to shopping at home!

Shopping at home is a big one for me as well..

Just bought a 07 Polaris 700 for 8200.00 before tax..

Hunterguy
12-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Looked into the states thing with the quads, money here money there, warranty??? to many ifs. Honda with the buy back, went to Hole Sot in Langley and with all the little gifts, the bike I wanted was so overpriced I had to sit down. Ended up with the 450 Kodiak out the door for 8,ooo, 2007 Limited Edition. Bought the Kodiak 450 in 2003 and I'm very happy with it, now with the new one my son is very happy with it.

Blktail
12-10-2007, 10:44 PM
My buddies and I got 450 Grizzlies from Bellingham for $6225 with 200lb winches. Payed PST & GST at the border and got them home for just over $7K. SG said their best price was $10,500. I took a day off work, spent the day with the wife, was back on the Island by 4PM and still saved almost $5000. We are being screwed by retailers or middlemen. Take yor pick!

By the way, the quad is awesome.

sparkymacker
12-22-2007, 10:16 PM
My buddies and I got 450 Grizzlies from Bellingham for $6225 with 200lb winches. Payed PST & GST at the border and got them home for just over $7K. SG said their best price was $10,500. I took a day off work, spent the day with the wife, was back on the Island by 4PM and still saved almost $5000. We are being screwed by retailers or middlemen. Take yor pick!

By the way, the quad is awesome.

Did you have to pay the Washington State sales tax? I checked with the local Yamaha dealer here.....$9,995.00 for a new 450!

Blktail
12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I think we payed tax on the winch which was on sale for $79. No tax on the quad.

Hunterguy
12-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Looked into the states thing and like I say more money here, service? license or registration fee, ended up buying two Kodiak 450's, 2007's out the door for under 8,000 a piece. Everything included. Would far rather deal with a rep up here, service, extended warranty. Oh yeah one was a Limited Edition, the other couldn't get the right colour so they gave me a 2008. Merry Christmas.

bensonvalley
12-27-2007, 07:12 PM
What really burns me is a company like Bombardier who has told US dealers to not sell to Canadians and has also stated that US bought Bombardier products won't be warrantied here.....great...this from a company that has received so many subsidies from the Canadian taxpayers that other countries have filed subsidy claims in the World Trade Court.

hlram
12-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Looked at prices in the states did't like the no warranty thing, Call around Vancouver & found a 2007 Kodiak 450 red for $8400 out the door c/w 2500# warn winch & extra 12 months warranty. Went to purchase it and fell in love with a Grizzly 660 camo for $9800 out the door same winch & warranty (total 18 months).