PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Carbon Arrows to length at home

TheObserver
01-08-2022, 10:25 AM
Hey what do you guys use to get a nice 90 degree cut off of your Arrows to length at home with no chipping/splitting (to hold the arrow, and make the cut)? I shoot GoldTip 300's. I used a Dremel before and it worked great, but don't have one right now. A 5" Angle Grinder with a zip cut is probably not recommended hey?

Dirty
01-08-2022, 11:55 AM
The appropriate speed cutting saw or Dremel and an arrow squaring device/tool

Blockcaver
01-08-2022, 06:57 PM
I use an 80 or 90 tooth carbide blade on a 10” cabinet saw. I mark what gets cut off each end of the arrow….trying to keep the straightest shaft possible (checked on an old dial indictor style roller, aluminum shaft straightener).

I always rotate the shaft to cut around the entire circumference of the shaft before finishing the cut into the center. Works very well for me. I use the mitre gage to push the shaft into the blade ensuring it is set square to the blade. Mainly because I have the cabinet saw and did not want to buy an arrow saw for a couple dozen shaft cuts every year or two.

I think “Nuts and Bolts”, a poster on Archery Talk had some plans there for the angle
grinder cut off saw he made. Might google it.

And as a safety share, don’t breath in the carbon dust from the cut. Bad stuff….good use for a mask. My saw has a dust collector so no issue but your angle grinder zip cut won’t.

TheObserver
01-09-2022, 06:15 PM
I use an 80 or 90 tooth carbide blade on a 10” cabinet saw. I mark what gets cut off each end of the arrow….trying to keep the straightest shaft possible (checked on an old dial indictor style roller, aluminum shaft straightener).

I always rotate the shaft to cut around the entire circumference of the shaft before finishing the cut into the center. Works very well for me. I use the mitre gage to push the shaft into the blade ensuring it is set square to the blade. Mainly because I have the cabinet saw and did not want to buy an arrow saw for a couple dozen shaft cuts every year or two.

I think “Nuts and Bolts”, a poster on Archery Talk had some plans there for the angle
grinder cut off saw he made. Might google it.

And as a safety share, don’t breath in the carbon dust from the cut. Bad stuff….good use for a mask. My saw has a dust collector so no issue but your angle grinder zip cut won’t.

Yeah good call only do a dozen every year-two as well.

Sounds good man thanks i'll check it out!

Smoothy
01-10-2022, 10:48 AM
Hey what do you guys use to get a nice 90 degree cut off of your Arrows to length at home with no chipping/splitting (to hold the arrow, and make the cut)? I shoot GoldTip 300's. I used a Dremel before and it worked great, but don't have one right now. A 5" Angle Grinder with a zip cut is probably not recommended hey?

if you're close to Mission, I'd gladly cut them for you, I have a Weston 8,000 rpm arrow saw

TheObserver
01-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Thanks buddy!! just sent you a PM