PDA

View Full Version : Alpine/sub alpine mule deer hunting options near Kamloops

interior
01-05-2022, 11:48 AM
Hey everyone,

My dad is getting older and has started to have some health issues but he wants to go for an alpine mule deer hunt with me before it’s too much for him. I’ll get out during summer to scout but I’m in a bit over my head trying to figure everything out. I’ve done a ton of research on hunting higher up but at the end of the day I’ve only ever hunted and hiked through cut blocks lower down. My dad is still able bodied and can hike but he’d definitely need to be able to come back to a base camp at the end of the day to relax. I’m not looking for any honey holes - just for some suggestions of areas where we could drive in and hike 1 or 2 hours to hunt then hike back down to the trucks/campers at the end of the day. I’m sure this isn’t “true” alpine hunting but I’m just trying to make some memories with my dad without pushing him too far. I’ve found some mountain ranges in the Adam’s/Shuswap area but again - I’m completely new to this and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to look? PM’s are welcome.

Thank you

swampthing
01-05-2022, 12:43 PM
There is the marble range over by clinton or a bit further to lillooeet finds some nice alpine

walker1985
01-05-2022, 02:04 PM
what defines an alpine mule deer hunt? is it a specific elevation you're at? Or does the vegetation stay low and not get overgrown? Sorry, I'm a new hunter here.

TheObserver
01-05-2022, 07:04 PM
what defines an alpine mule deer hunt? is it a specific elevation you're at? Or does the vegetation stay low and not get overgrown? Sorry, I'm a new hunter here.

To me it is when the Subalpine forest turns to Alpine in the High country, the country opens up and the trees start to thin out grow in clusters/patches then stop growing and the mountain goes bald. Not necessarily a certain elevation

Weatherby Fan
01-05-2022, 07:19 PM

Generally about 5500 feet in Southern BC is where your alpine or sub alpine begins, this is just from my hunting experience but could be different a little further north.

This is where the trees start to thin out into small clusters or patches and generally are stunted.
This is region 8 as twoseveno points out below region 3 is quite different than some region 8 alpine
http://i.imgur.com/zyAiMw9.jpg (https://imgur.com/zyAiMw9)

twoSevenO
01-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Kamloops isn't the best. Lillooet, gold Bridge be much better. Southern region 8 as well has some nice mountains, but big difference between reg 3 alpine and reg 8.

TheObserver
01-05-2022, 08:13 PM
Hey everyone,

My dad is getting older and has started to have some health issues but he wants to go for an alpine mule deer hunt with me before it’s too much for him. I’ll get out during summer to scout but I’m in a bit over my head trying to figure everything out. I’ve done a ton of research on hunting higher up but at the end of the day I’ve only ever hunted and hiked through cut blocks lower down. My dad is still able bodied and can hike but he’d definitely need to be able to come back to a base camp at the end of the day to relax. I’m not looking for any honey holes - just for some suggestions of areas where we could drive in and hike 1 or 2 hours to hunt then hike back down to the trucks/campers at the end of the day. I’m sure this isn’t “true” alpine hunting but I’m just trying to make some memories with my dad without pushing him too far. I’ve found some mountain ranges in the Adam’s/Shuswap area but again - I’m completely new to this and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to look? PM’s are welcome.

Thank you

Sorry man, wish I could help ya but have only hunted around the Kamloops area long time ago once or twice. Yeah like twoseven0 said southern region 8 has good mountains my Dad used to pack hunt 4 point early Muley there when I was a kid. He has to show me some time where

interior
01-06-2022, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I’ll start doing some more research into region 8 and out towards Lillooet area and see what I can come up with.

Imdone
01-06-2022, 07:36 PM
Shulaps, Yalacom, 9 mile, Spruce lk., Pinrose, Eldorado. All reg 3 and some big deer

mike31154
01-06-2022, 08:33 PM
I spend a good deal of time in 8-13. Definitely alpine & sub alpine terrain to be found, although it can be steep hiking to get above tree line. I've yet to be successful with deer, but both mule & whitetail are up there for sure. I bumped 2 does a mere 50 meters after getting out of my truck here. Region 4 is to the right of the red line.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mhmk_bI93afk8dMI_BIPNCDUSHWEH64a0-jEnL2uWSLsDXag4bW1XYiUpvjHbKjwjrMr6uf7Cn6MLJh4UUri ZCVZ5yA6yMeUDZEdZ-5dskDl_TturdlcmYSVEu5g79XNGJWwdSVHtS2b3HBWpPnMZaIg MkZlxiKQ0FQe4EFt9MwuTME8b5yPuKXUjLgiLrAgc?width=10 24&height=558&cropmode=none

This photo shows the same mountain as on the Google Earth screen shot. A fresh cut block has made getting to the top somewhat easier. Higher alpine peaks of the Monashees can be seen off in the distance. Several of the mountains in this area are less treed at the top, but I've only hiked to the summit of this one. Treeline is at about 2,000 meters.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mmR42BDUZeehnRRf-Xmq4re-a7H9TLAt74FLlNHkrpuCd0GxakUHtOwtuf29OWF_XLIHUuQLlQ 8IvlRVGlViYY2ZZyEeS0x0q-St2OcYb_6CSdw1EmvdHQMAnrseLPSEDrP_Ohq0OpJNuwx-NCk0Q3TCFPpf2lcT5qkcR626j7BseNNWxt6qWpqe6EYDm0fu_? width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

MichelD
01-07-2022, 11:10 AM
Shulaps, Yalacom, 9 mile, Spruce lk., Pinrose, Eldorado. All reg 3 and some big deer

One thing I noticed about the Shulaps Range hunting is that it is closd to motor vehicles at the 1920 metre level, right where it started to get interesting. I don't mind, we camped at that elevation and hiked uphill on an old mine road from there, but the elevation restriction didn't seem to bother other hunters in trucks.

Rob Chipman
01-07-2022, 06:49 PM
There is the marble range over by clinton or a bit further to lillooeet finds some nice alpine

Marbles are great, and I love 'em, but for real alpine it's tough to get high enough in my opinion. A lotta times there's trees right up until it's bare karst.

Edge hills, on the west side of the Jesmond Road, can get you into some open grass with tree groves, but I think that's more of a moisture function than an elevation function.

I'd head straight to Cache Creek, hang a right, hang a left at the Lillooet cut-off and cross the river and head up the east slope of the mountains, or, if the ferry is open, cross at Big Bar. They're higher and you'll get real alpine.

Mandatory disclaimer: The Marbles suck. Don't go. You won't like it. They're steep, there's too many people there already, and there's nothing to hunt.

Arctic Lake
01-07-2022, 07:03 PM
Was up in the Yalakom or Shulaps 40 some years ago thought it was awesome . We followed a horse trail up to above tree line . No idea what it’s like now or how to even get there I think we accessed it from around Lillooet ? I’d like to get back up there one day before I can’t physically

Is the Yalakom and Shulaps a different set of mountains ?
Arctic Lake

interior
01-07-2022, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I’m going to be busy this summer getting some boots on the ground to find an area that holds deer and is suitable for my dads limitations.

dino
01-07-2022, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I’m going to be busy this summer getting some boots on the ground to find an area that holds deer and is suitable for my dads limitations.

I will tell you a little trick. All i ever hunt is the alpine and used post pics every year. The pics must be somewhere on the site here.
Anyways. Something i used to do was look on Google earth or some other site with a decent zoom. True alpine for you will be region 3 west of the fraser. Every mountain has a trail to the top somewhere.

When looking at the alpine bowl zoom in as much as you can and you should actually be able to see game trails. Its easier in the rocks above the vegetation but the deer are up there where the goats begin. If you see game trails then there are animals. If i could post a pic i would show you.

twoSevenO
01-07-2022, 09:45 PM
I will tell you a little trick. All i ever hunt is the alpine and used post pics every year. The pics must be somewhere on the site here.
Anyways. Something i used to do was look on Google earth or some other site with a decent zoom. True alpine for you will be region 3 west of the fraser. Every mountain has a trail to the top somewhere.

When looking at the alpine bowl zoom in as much as you can and you should actually be able to see game trails. Its easier in the rocks above the vegetation but the deer are up there where the goats begin. If you see game trails then there are animals. If i could post a pic i would show you.

I've done this too and climbed for hours to find the trails to be marmot trails. Lol.

swampthing
01-08-2022, 09:35 AM
Was up in the Yalakom or Shulaps 40 some years ago thought it was awesome . We followed a horse trail up to above tree line . No idea what it’s like now or how to even get there I think we accessed it from around Lillooet ? I’d like to get back up there one day before I can’t physically

Is the Yalakom and Shulaps a different set of mountains ?
Arctic Lake

Yalakom river run out the valley along the base of the shulap range, so its an area, not a mountain range. People including myself have called the shulaps the yalakoms!

beadblaster
01-09-2022, 08:41 PM
A area to check out would be the silvercup area above trout lk. Access is fairly easy up american creek or up copper queen. Mountain meadow above cooper creek ( near the duncan dam)is another area with easy access.

MichelD
01-09-2022, 11:04 PM
Yalakom river run out the valley along the base of the shulap range, so its an area, not a mountain range. People including myself have called the shulaps the yalakoms!

Shulaps Range west of Yalakom River and Camelsfoot Range east of the Yalakom.

Arctic Lake
01-10-2022, 11:07 AM
Thank You ! I’m going to get my arse up there before I can’t
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
01-10-2022, 11:08 AM
Thank You !
Arctic Lake I’m going to get my arse up there before I can’t
Shulaps Range west of Yalakom River and Camelsfoot Range east of the Yalakom.

Ltbullken
01-10-2022, 12:31 PM
One thing I noticed about the Shulaps Range hunting is that it is closd to motor vehicles at the 1920 metre level, right where it started to get interesting. I don't mind, we camped at that elevation and hiked uphill on an old mine road from there, but the elevation restriction didn't seem to bother other hunters in trucks.

Could take a license plate number and call Conservation.. just sayin'...

Rob Chipman
01-11-2022, 11:46 AM

That's a great tip, Dino!

dino
01-13-2022, 07:44 AM
That's a great tip, Dino!

If i could post pics it would take me less than a minute to find a good bowl with animals.

Arctic Lake
01-13-2022, 12:15 PM
Dino ! I will say this ,if I can post pictures on this site anyone can ! Lots of members willing to share how to get it done . Im probably not the best to ask though LOL ! I would be very interested in what you have to say regarding how to spot game trails from Google Earth Maps as I find the resolution terrible when you zoom in . Not sure how you make it a better experience to enhance this ? Please ask for help on how to post pictures so that you can share !
Arctic Lake
I look forward to this !
If i could post pics it would take me less than a minute to find a good bowl with animals.

TheObserver
01-13-2022, 12:57 PM

Get an Imgur account and upload photos to it, click on/select the photo in imgur you want to upload to huntingbc and on the right hand side of the picture it will have a couple vertical rows the third or 4th one down it will say bcc or something like that, copy and paste that to the forum and boom your picture will be uploaded. Dont need to scale size either.

It's really easy

Arctic Lake
01-13-2022, 01:10 PM
There is a couple of good threads on how to post pictures on the HBC Forum on Glitches
Arctic Lake

cuervosail
01-13-2022, 04:37 PM
Dino ! I will say this ,if I can post pictures on this site anyone can ! Lots of members willing to share how to get it done . Im probably not the best to ask though LOL ! I would be very interested in what you have to say regarding how to spot game trails from Google Earth Maps as I find the resolution terrible when you zoom in . Not sure how you make it a better experience to enhance this ? Please ask for help on how to post pictures so that you can share !
Arctic Lake
I look forward to this !

Switch to FatMaps. Resolution is generally much better and you can rotate the image much quicker than with GE.

TheObserver
01-13-2022, 06:43 PM

Like this

https://i.imgur.com/kQjznOW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7BaQZuJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DrBjqH1.jpg

twoSevenO
01-13-2022, 07:48 PM
I think he means easy way of doing it off his phone. Take a screenshot, scribble on it and upload with one or two clicks.

Dino, pick a mountain in reg 4 when you do this not ones in reg 3 or 8 :D lol

Brew
01-13-2022, 07:48 PM
I find if I’m scouting from a computer I open up google earth on one window and bing maps on another. I use Google earth to find places of interest and once I do I find that same spot using Bing maps.
bing seems to have better images and allows you to really zoom in and it’s easy to find trails. It just doesn’t offer the same 3d experience that google earth has.

dino
01-13-2022, 08:04 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

I will try to see if i can post a pic later tonight. I use my Samsung and ive tried the account thing but no workie. I do have a laptop but never open it up anymore.

dino
01-13-2022, 08:14 PM
Get an Imgur account and upload photos to it, click on/select the photo in imgur you want to upload to huntingbc and on the right hand side of the picture it will have a couple vertical rows the third or 4th one down it will say bcc or something like that, copy and paste that to the forum and boom your picture will be uploaded. Dont need to scale size either.

It's really easy

Can i do it with a phone

fuzzybiscuit
01-13-2022, 10:13 PM
Can i do it with a phone

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?165087-Posting-Pictures-on-HBC-with-postimage

All you need to post pics using Postimage in one thread.

Takes a couple minutes once you get used to it.

boilerroom
01-13-2022, 10:35 PM
I find if I’m scouting from a computer I open up google earth on one window and bing maps on another. I use Google earth to find places of interest and once I do I find that same spot using Bing maps.
bing seems to have better images and allows you to really zoom in and it’s easy to find trails. It just doesn’t offer the same 3d experience that google earth has.

^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

I will try to see if i can post a pic later tonight. I use my Samsung and ive tried the account thing but no workie. I do have a laptop but never open it up anymore.

Thanks guys, this really helps. I was having the same issue of not getting good resolution with Google Earth. Dino I waded back through your old posts - very impressive! I hope to have 1% of the success you've had! If you want to send me any pics I can post them in this thread for you.

cheers,
Mike

Nimrod
01-14-2022, 06:06 AM

Try this link
It overlays the Bing images in Google earth

https://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/bing-maps/aerial

boilerroom
01-14-2022, 12:54 PM
Trying this for dino

https://postimg.cc/HJ5YCNqc

https://postimg.cc/8j5TCs8V

Arctic Lake
01-14-2022, 12:57 PM
I will have a look . Thank You ! Arctic Lake

Switch to FatMaps. Resolution is generally much better and you can rotate the image much quicker than with GE.

Brew
01-14-2022, 02:47 PM
Try this link
It overlays the Bing images in Google earth

https://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/bing-maps/aerial
Thanks a lot. That will simplify things

TheObserver
01-14-2022, 08:29 PM
Can i do it with a phone

I've only done it on my laptop as my phones a pos and I barely use it and hate them. But i'm sure you can do it with a phone, imgur has an app