PDA

View Full Version : Elk Advice

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 12:30 AM
Hey Guys, this will be my first thread finally figured out how to start one been trying for a while hahaha.

I have been Hunting since I was 11, never tried to get an Elk before but pretty determined to try and get one next season. I am going to be scouting and have boughten some books on Elk behaviour and have been using the internet to research and a bugle and a cow call. I live in Maple Ridge, my initial plan was to try Princeton because that is the closest location with a GO season and scout almost every weekend starting late winter until opening. But I am thinking my efforts may be better rewarded elsewhere. I am not sure yet whether I should go to the Kootenays or up North. North will be harder for me to make it on as many scouting trips. But am not sure if scouting is as important with Elk because from what I have gathered so far they are frequently moving/migrating? I will be doing a backpacking trip.

I am just wondering if anyone would recommend either region 7 or region 4, and why? and any advice in general really would be appreciated. I don't have a jetboat or money for a fly-in or anything like that but I could cross a river in a canoe or a packraft but nothing really more not next year anyway. I have been looking at places on maps in region 4 and have some places in mind but of course won't know until I arrive there really.

Feel free to PM me

I have seen a massive 7 point bull that I got nice pics of in region 8 but figure the odds are better in region 7 or 4

I'm not sure if I will try Archery or Rifle yet, but leaning towards rifle. With the amount of time and money I will be putting in I would like to increase my odds as much as I could.

Bugle M In
01-03-2022, 01:10 PM
In your words lies the problem.
Hard to scout when you live down here.
Not practical to drive 10+ hours for a day of scouting, as you wont have enough time and still to get home.

A said, the higher north, the better it sounds like these days.
But some areas up there are getting crowded as well.
Going east is crowded where there are still some #'s of elk around however.
And many prefer bow over rifle when going on the east hunts.
Although I would stick to rifle.

As for where to go, its a hard question to answer.
And like me, your trapped in the LM, so finding that new spot is a real challenge.

I have seen good bulls taken on hbc for this year.
Some are from up north, a lot of them actually.
But, there are some to be taken in the WK and EK as well.

mike31154
01-03-2022, 04:01 PM
Put in for LEH on the Island & cross your fingers.

scttlp86
01-03-2022, 05:14 PM
Assuming you are going by yourself I would suggest not going backpacking for a few reasons... number one being if you are solo that will be one heck of a packout, 4 plus trips worth. Two being you can cover allot of ground in a day hiking from the truck looking for sign and or glassing. This saves you a bunch of energy trying to find elk while packing all of your gear with you. As per north or south just go with your gut and do some research. Both hold elk

rocksteady
01-03-2022, 05:35 PM
Buy a bugle and reeds NOW and practice like your life depends on it.

Lots of good tutorials on YouTube. My favorite is the Bugler, Dirk Durham. Think he's in Idaho.

Calling is your best way to locate and draw in an elk.

Spot and stalk is more challenging for everything to come into alignment..

Once you are proficient go wherever you feel.

Going solo, make sure you got the tools to get it out. Packboard, game cart, what have you..

Get in shape, elk hunting can be a long trek..

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 07:33 PM
Yeah Bugle your right, I hate it down here to boot hahah planning a way out in the coming years. It is hard but not impossible, I am willing to make it work but Kootenays I could but up north would be way harder, I would have to sacrifice instead of an area I could possibly scout every week or every other week would probably have to lower that down to two-three scouting trips if I am still going to be able to take a week off work for the hunt.

It is looking like I will be by myself, I might be able to manage to get someone to come with me but if not I am still going to go. I was thinking packing just to get where most people will not go/away from pressure. But yeah definitely better be able to leave an area in the truck and go to another instead of being stuck back packing if the area isn't holding much. If I completely deboned him (although I love the bones from the quarters for cooking and the marrow) do you still think it would take 4+ trips? I know they are much larger than Deer.

Yeah rocksteady I bought a power bugle I can make a bugle/chuckle with it and haven't watched the dvd yet but with the thin band I find it can become inconsistent quick. Reeds and tubes I am going to buy for sure I think I can make a better sounding Bugle with practice and you also get way more versatility with cow calls and everything in between. What would you recommend for reeds/tubes? I have heard Carlton's are good and Phelps. I have the gear and am going to be getting more and upgrading through the year and be ready for opening.

Appreciate the replies a lot guys!!

Ferenc
01-03-2022, 08:18 PM
Get a protective cap for the power bugle and load up on the bands .

Ourea
01-03-2022, 08:50 PM
There are boys in reg 8 that get their bull pretty much every year while others complain.
Think about that.

Understand elk habitat, what their requirements are this is KEY.

Elk and pressure get along like oil and water and do not hesitate to blow out 5 to 10kms if bounced.
Hunting elk close to roads in pressured areas is a low odds play.

I you are solo you are limited.
If you have a winger you in a much better position to get into less pressured areas.

If you put your first elk down it is quite an experience when you walk up to it.

My comments are mostly directed to reg 8

dapesche
01-03-2022, 08:55 PM
Yeah Bugle your right, I hate it down here to boot hahah planning a way out in the coming years. It is hard but not impossible, I am willing to make it work but Kootenays I could but up north would be way harder, I would have to sacrifice instead of an area I could possibly scout every week or every other week would probably have to lower that down to two-three scouting trips if I am still going to be able to take a week off work for the hunt.

It is looking like I will be by myself, I might be able to manage to get someone to come with me but if not I am still going to go. I was thinking packing just to get where most people will not go/away from pressure. But yeah definitely better be able to leave an area in the truck and go to another instead of being stuck back packing if the area isn't holding much. If I completely deboned him (although I love the bones from the quarters for cooking and the marrow) do you still think it would take 4+ trips? I know they are much larger than Deer.

Yeah rocksteady I bought a power bugle I can make a bugle/chuckle with it and haven't watched the dvd yet but with the thin band I find it can become inconsistent quick. Reeds and tubes I am going to buy for sure I think I can make a better sounding Bugle with practice and you also get way more versatility with cow calls and everything in between. What would you recommend for reeds/tubes? I have heard Carlton's are good and Phelps. I have the gear and am going to be getting more and upgrading through the year and be ready for opening.

Appreciate the replies a lot guys!!

If you go solo in September and you get an elk then you are at risk of meat spoilage if you're hunting the koots.

Getting an animal is one thing but to then waste part of it is a disrespect to that animal.

I got my elk Oct 16th. Shot it at 730am and I had dressed it up by around 3pm. Friend came to help with the pack out. It likely would've been 4 trips bone in.

It's a big job dealing with an elk by yourself. If you're doing it in 25 degree temps then the pressure is on.

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 09:46 PM
Yeah the absolute monster I seen was in region 8, he stood broadside at 60 yards not spooked he was with 4 or 5 cows. The white tips of his tines looked to be 6 inches he was huge! I could get way more scouting in region 8, but also would really like to increase my odds as much as possible. Are they pretty much migrating/moving continuously most of the year or will they have for the most part summer/winter ranges that they will sit around in for a while and spend some time in before migrating again? I know Princeton has got a herd and 8-12 - 8-15 holds Elk. I have heard they can be near the us border kind of Ashnola, also towards the Coq from Princeton but am not sure of this myself.

If I can't get a hunting partner i'll have to get a buddy to come for the trip to help maybe he'll become a hunter hahah, I know about meat spoilage and thought that through being near shaded creek areas for hanging. But now that you put it like that it could be a serious problem, not having the vehicle or kill site near somewhere cool.

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 10:21 PM
This is the Elk I seen in Region 8

https://i.imgur.com/qeef056.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/N4PwDzS.jpg

Bugle M In
01-04-2022, 02:50 AM
Thats a nice bull.

Another thing, again, about being from the LM and the issues regarding around "scouting".
We both know how hard that can be if we are talking WK/EK or North.
The other factor also is, that even if you make a trip up to scout in the summer, they may not be there come opening, unless
your there a week or 2 before.
You have to them remember, you may not be looking for elk, but for old sign (several years worth) of rubs.
Then you know you will be in the right place at the right time potentially.
When my buddy got the Pitt lk draw, we did scout and we did find those rubs (many of them over several years), so we knew it
was a good place to start.

The real factor is "how much holiday time or time you can make" to get out there.
IF you only have 2 weeks of holiday time, you may want to consider getting time away from work without pay (if work allows) to
add to your total of hunting days etc.

I which case, if your thinking further from the LM, like EK or North, then I would seriously consider the first 2 weeks of the season.
1 week in bow, other in rifle, especially if your having to scout it out, imo.
IF you get any extra weeks, then that is a bonus and you could either continue on the hunt or rework another week at another
time.

You mention R8, and most say the 1st week is possibly the best week (just like many in the EK say), and it seems after the first
few days, the jig is up and the elk are now aware the season is open, so that might be your best time to scout for actual elk.
But conditions might not be right, and sometimes the 2nd week works out better for action.

One last thing though, I am not trying to say the first 2 weeks are the high point of the rut, especially when you talk about
any of those areas, as they all vary from north to south it seems.
Just trying to say that i know scouting can be tough for folks like us down here, and 10+ hour drives for a weekend just don't
work well, so it sucks to have to burn up holiday time in the summer scouting when it takes away from the days to hunt.

What you find in the summer may not be around come fall.
As for meat spoilage and being solo, there is no solution for that, other than not going out to early in the season in that case.

horseman2
01-04-2022, 07:41 AM
Years of encouragement by a friend to apply for LEH on VI.
While having lunch when hunting deer in the Nanaimo watershed, a 5x5 bull walked into the clearing and was 13 paces away.
Having never hunted elk previously, applied for 1-10-F in '86 and collected a 12 year old 6x6 that weighed 534 ponds to the locker.
Applied again in 87 and was lucky to tag a 5x5 that weighed 401 to the locker without the neck (gave it to an assistant).
No luck since but the memories will las forever.

mike31154
01-04-2022, 02:23 PM
I solo hunt almost exclusively for deer in the northern area of R8 & adjacent R3, R4. I suck as a deer hunter & the city deer rub it in by raiding my yard & garden in town haha. Getting up there in age but reasonably fit & wouldn't hesitate to pack out a deer solo. Larger critters like moose & elk I wouldn't attempt without a partner or 2. That's where LEH comes in very handy.

Myself & 2 buddies on the island have been putting in for both moose & elk LEH for a number of years now & have been successful once in each. The one buddy is our experienced mentor & has been applying for elk LEH on the island for 30 years, never got a draw. I was fortunate in the 2020 draw plus we had a moose draw in 2018. Depending on the type of LEH, if you have partners you can all apply which often improves the odds for you. Having been successful I know for a fact there's no way I'd pursue anything the size of an elk or moose solo. Particularly if the hike in is a long one. For sure it has & can be done, but not this cowboy haha.

I've seen what I think is some very old elk sign in a few areas I've hunted in 8 but never spotted one in the flesh. I bumped a huge bull moose near Oyama Lake last fall & regularly see moose at Holmes Lake. Unfortunately R8 is spike fork season only GOS. It's well known there's a herd of elk not that far out of north east Kelowna. They tend to hang out on ranch land so you need permission which is unlikely to be forthcoming. There was recent article with a photo of the herd near a golf course, should be a post on here somewhere about it. A number of them have been poached on their property so the landowners aren't too happy.

Here's the elk from LEH 2020 on the Island 1-10. It was a November hunt, rut was over so bugling would have been useless. He was with another young 4 point & they were shadowing a herd of cows. All the big boys would be off on their own recovering. Dropped him maybe 150 meters from FSR & it was still a chore to get him to the road. Gutted him where he lay & then used a chainsaw to clear a path so we could get a quad in to drag him out. It was the end of the 1st week when we found this herd having scoured various areas of 1-10. Earlier in the week we spotted a few cows up high in the snow.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mSFVXlYt8FFuZhmYcf5veyN71nTELALA6tIdS2eR-OusRhQJIsGB6nMvD-iWLKcwrDLhxnph-TytklaEndYThtxPlIxlCxAEjKdWwEVJN4wiX4wz-bg69_knTwikgL76as1qZAZajulg_U_zjxym47KEIsTaLUZoIXl 63_GDRJil930X-xD8EuWB_pu_ROmMP?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Back at camp we quartered him in the trailer. Front being sectioned.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m1EeauI_wRWjeYgrb_bAlA0S5Wf0Ya99jNLIhzDPDCLDDW2y TQp4y-jizU5hLJhsiixLvDBWGKaT4GPrm4V7VhGO_nDhXSnVfV6o9BXG kbNPv7siB_Tz4rMM-v8PI2I3AGIP1VNMnK774LtkFbjUah3PKIDUJlJlOikesbzdpUp ojAm34qZCvw3h8fsiBM-pV?width=1024&height=765&cropmode=none

2018 LEH moose, also a young bull but good size. He was dropped close to the road. Quartered where he lay & used quad to drag quarters to the road. I went to get my pickup so we could get him to camp in one trip. Took 3 of us to throw a hind quarter up into the bed. I suppose a ramp would have made it easier.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4miPoqQO4coktnOBtQ7APJb6tiMWC411CJmMGPvuQt0-kE41H2te0CphDqZGjl9boJ7CPY9DZiPDckGbS2_xgDM4Yn8JGW zthITw3tG5KqhPsiXT6xaA0-dsQtshwgBD8zZpkTADUMpqYAq4Fi_BD1eH5hZzuXpWHLWECLCi Ui6wdBL-fJgN2RHfnTB7dnSaQD?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

This will give you some idea of the size you'll be dealing with. We hung & skinned the quarters in the dark. Used quad with rope & carabiner as a pulley to hoist the quarters. Finished around 3 am. A 6 point elk will be pretty similar.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mzHAfavXPZ8jGhNrmCUQ7q1xbqUOzqWtINY39pj7Ljt_rsG_ Mm00ah6aEIV5ZPfV9hfo1Q_F_go1uf3JmejBughXV93nySwDIm VpJ0cnNLCAFjSlgg0zDyi1v_l1eybXpnkzNK6x3TbZxfSzGqQ9 hIAxSGTETtIwPpr4Zgyif7g9QUw0wJz_j4NkIL-G2zH3A?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Nothing for the 3 amigos for 2021, none of us got a draw. I'm on my last couple roasts & packs of ground from the elk. I wish you success, elk is some of the finest eating on the planet.

boilerroom
01-04-2022, 03:56 PM
^^^ Amazing Mike, thanks for sharing! Keeps me motivated :)

Ourea
01-04-2022, 07:12 PM
A little motivation for the Observer
A region 8 bull I Killed

https://i.imgur.com/1VtC57b.jpg

mooseknuckler
01-04-2022, 09:23 PM
That’s a big bull Ourea!

Bugle M In
01-04-2022, 11:02 PM
Yup, that is one bull that no matter how many times you see it, there is still something more to look at, so it never gets old.
I have had a first hand view of an R8 bull, a 9x9, that scored well into the 400's.
IT was never put in the books as the hunter didnt want to.
Although, I think there may have been more to that story for "Why" he never wanted to post it. (I will leave it at that)
It had 3 brow tines, each side. (not the standard 2)
It had 2 tines where there is generally only the 3rd.
Super wide, super long and heavy.
I would go over there from time to time, not because he liked to drink and offered great Scotch, but to just stare at it.
He passed away, and I think the wife just gave it away to some Asian fellow to get it out of the house.
And no, she didn't sell it for cash, just wanted the thing gone!

TheObserver
01-04-2022, 11:30 PM
Yeah Bugle I have been actually starting to think that, just dedicate two weeks at the beginning of the season. That is a lot of time in the bush, bring the packboards but maybe stay with the truck so I can move. That has been another thing on my mind Elk seem to be moving mostly anyways, and pressure or anything spooking as well they could leave an area they were in for any given number of reasons.

I haven't applied for draws in years but am going to this year. My Dad's and my buddy guides at the back of Pitt Lake, he guided the last boone and crockett rosie that broke the record, so I was thinking about applying there. But I could imagine the odds for the Island draw are better than Pitt Lake.

Yeah Mike that is rough so many Islander's put in for those draws and never seem to get them. Poaching seems to be common with Elk in region 8. I mean it happens all over i'm sure unfortunately, but i've heard lots. I bet that Rosie was delicious, and that is a nice Bull Moose for sure what Region did you guys get that draw for?

Again appreciate the replies guys!

TheObserver
01-04-2022, 11:32 PM
A region 8 bull I Killed

Ourea, that Bull is an absolute cranker!!!! Very Heavy! Could imagine the smile/feeling when you walked up on him!!

Truly a Bull of a Lifetime

TheObserver
01-04-2022, 11:34 PM
Yup, that is one bull that no matter how many times you see it, there is still something more to look at, so it never gets old.
I have had a first hand view of an R8 bull, a 9x9, that scored well into the 400's.
IT was never put in the books as the hunter didnt want to.
Although, I think there may have been more to that story for "Why" he never wanted to post it. (I will leave it at that)
It had 3 brow tines, each side. (not the standard 2)
It had 2 tines where there is generally only the 3rd.
Super wide, super long and heavy.
I would go over there from time to time, not because he liked to drink and offered great Scotch, but to just stare at it.
He passed away, and I think the wife just gave it away to some Asian fellow to get it out of the house.
And no, she didn't sell it for cash, just wanted the thing gone!

"but to just stare at it."

hahaha no doubt! I have seen pictures on the google with the triple brow tines very unique! usually always huge

KodiakHntr
01-05-2022, 09:11 AM
If you go solo in September and you get an elk then you are at risk of meat spoilage if you're hunting the koots.

Getting an animal is one thing but to then waste part of it is a disrespect to that animal.

I got my elk Oct 16th. Shot it at 730am and I had dressed it up by around 3pm. Friend came to help with the pack out. It likely would've been 4 trips bone in.

It's a big job dealing with an elk by yourself. If you're doing it in 25 degree temps then the pressure is on.

I have to ask, what do you mean by “dressed it up”? I’m assuming that you mean completely boneless as that is a 7.5 hour time frame.

To the OP, don’t over think it. Ourea alluded to this (I think), but you have to hunt elk where they are, not where you want them to be. Find sign, find where they live, and hunt them there. Sometimes that means diving over the edge and hunting them deep in the hell hole.

Once you have a bull dead, break it down into manageable pieces right front the start. A bull is physically intimidating when you first walk up to it, but all you really need is a backpack and a knife. A small saw and a few feet of paracord will help, but isn’t essential.

Split hide down the spine ears to tail, and skin off a side down to the hocks. Lift and cut the hind off and you will have a chunk of meat and bone that you can manage.
If you are mentally tough enough you can solo pack an elk in 4 trips, but you are going to feel it for a few days after. 5 trips is feasible but that load of neck meat/tenderloin/rib roll/backstraps/horns/and your stuff is gonna be a good’er.
6 loads and you are looking at some pretty easy trips, depending on terrain. The sense of accomplishment can’t be put into words though.

Soft, dead weight on a pack isn’t the same as a tidy, snug package that weighs the same. It WILL be off balance, and it might shift around, but it isn’t likely as heavy as you think it is. Packing meat is a mental game, break it down into manageable loads and get it done. (I always have a pack scale in my truck or in the shop, and record weights on everything. They are never as heavy as your mind is telling you, and when you weigh that first one and find out what it actually is, it gets easier mentally).

If the weather is warm, put your quarters up on brush or blowdown so air gets under it. If you are really concerned find the sinew seam on the hinds and open it up to the leg bone and put a little stick in there to keep it open before you bag it. That will let that heavy bone cool a lot faster and will really reduce the chance of bone sour.

Solo big game isn’t for everyone, but if you can prepare yourself mentally for it then you have the battle half won.

moosinaround
01-05-2022, 10:08 AM
I've killed a few moose/elk in my time. I usually like them to be killed as close to the truck as possible. Saying this, I've packed out a few over the years on my back. Learn to bone out the critters! No need to pack out bone, if you do not need to! Remember, elk/moose burger is still as good to eat as a moose/elk roast or steak! Getting the meat and hide off the bone is critical to preventing spoilage in warmer temperatures!! Good quality game bags is also essential!! The packs of meat will be heavy, dead weigh that shifts around is :interesting" to carry, but like others have said, you remember the trip with every meal from that critter! Good luck with the solo hunt. I heard my first in nature elk bugle in 2007, and I haven't missed an elk season since!! I grew up listening to moose calling and grunting, and I still take every moose rut off from work!! Moosinaround

Linksman313
01-05-2022, 12:41 PM
There are boys in reg 8 that get their bull pretty much every year while others complain.
Think about that.

The above statement is absolutely true

Our elk scout starts on July 1 weekend (usually a week long camp out to see what was logged and locate their water/food sources and check in on a couple of Bull haunts we know of, water is the key though)

does not stop until successful harvest or end of season

I have learned the that to be successful with elk in my corner of region 8 you almost have to sleep with them once located

Good luck

dapesche
01-05-2022, 02:30 PM
I have to ask, what do you mean by “dressed it up”? I’m assuming that you mean completely boneless as that is a 7.5 hour time frame.

So the bull was shot at 730am. Probably started working on him around 8am. Sent this photo to friend at 1:30.

Dressed for me is quartered up (bone-in) good cuts in a bag, and trimmings and neck meat in another.

Had to deal with head and neck meat. Friend arrived around 2 I'd say, and we got the head down to bone with no lower jaw. Tossed in last bit of neck meat and were gone.

When I head North it'll be bone out.

https://i.imgur.com/n4UPaiS.jpg

mike31154
01-05-2022, 04:08 PM
I haven't applied for draws in years but am going to this year. My Dad's and my buddy guides at the back of Pitt Lake, he guided the last boone and crockett rosie that broke the record, so I was thinking about applying there. But I could imagine the odds for the Island draw are better than Pitt Lake.

Yeah Mike that is rough so many Islander's put in for those draws and never seem to get them. Poaching seems to be common with Elk in region 8. I mean it happens all over i'm sure unfortunately, but i've heard lots. I bet that Rosie was delicious, and that is a nice Bull Moose for sure what Region did you guys get that draw for?

Again appreciate the replies guys!
The moose was 6-01, south of Vanderhoof. Experienced Van Isle buddy Rick has been there a number of times & knows the area. Like on the elk hunt, we got the bull at the end of the 1st week. We applied for the LEH there again this year no success. Rick, Colin (who got the moose 2018) & another fellow from the Island went up for GOS last fall but no joy. I had to sit out with case of severe back pain. I would have been a liability haha. The tent would be a bit crowded with 4 vs 3 as well. ;-)

"Falscher Hase" made with ground moose
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4me6JQvrH-03XNosZq0cRLNOcOOZ94O9g1scLIscUqXbtuAKQf4BvfdUrb-Lp6PGRSyg6HBUHcrH2PQGdbRdHjeGBgKglvVIveCYzudJoUnfs Ip5laKKvraof9D1dlPb4EHPdZOyNYgpWrKcghB6Z064BRri86b w5_p7sH0u5KdRrqRW05KBa7Fw4LTv3YNril?width=1017&height=1024&cropmode=none

Elk roast on the BBQ spit
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mLDg3OY0e_S6d2iYMjHXkGw1IsmPrCoDtLz86QULHFHh1P16 qgWmRDE1aiFO6uHr7AkAoTSVjamKEmzE12aat2mKFS7YMpTK8q-0JhB_BMU3JN_2q2HZ9OMzDmEP7psUvIN-w3zwJi0NB7aO9NX-XDUa0LBNv75HyMpsNEKHZV2YiNDANvYNEyG5uAGWXfzZa?widt h=929&height=1024&cropmode=none

Plated! German dumplings & 2 salads, a cucumber mixed & butter lettuce. Stout & a good red wine
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m4cbLDmsYZRdHTkM1AKEvSmYXy4zoMKV-kJpjhMXnhAPa6b3fWifHiRRPkA2TYQBeNBeVoN9lpEEaFw24-_-Bk_OEFaonTweTUFFNP35SjtCUYG9H1DAdFY5Q8nKfqOPrhEkvZ u3ow23iZiusiH-pUu9xciBovipP_l8jM9Uu0n4fjWDl8UWEjvivaTrIN0M2?widt h=732&height=1024&cropmode=none

boilerroom
01-05-2022, 06:29 PM
^^^^ wow, just wow! right before dinner too...

TheObserver
01-05-2022, 06:36 PM

To the OP, don’t over think it. Ourea alluded to this (I think), but you have to hunt elk where they are, not where you want them to be. Find sign, find where they live, and hunt them there. Sometimes that means diving over the edge and hunting them deep in the hell hole.

Once you have a bull dead, break it down into manageable pieces right front the start. A bull is physically intimidating when you first walk up to it, but all you really need is a backpack and a knife. A small saw and a few feet of paracord will help, but isn’t essential.

Split hide down the spine ears to tail, and skin off a side down to the hocks. Lift and cut the hind off and you will have a chunk of meat and bone that you can manage.
If you are mentally tough enough you can solo pack an elk in 4 trips, but you are going to feel it for a few days after. 5 trips is feasible but that load of neck meat/tenderloin/rib roll/backstraps/horns/and your stuff is gonna be a good’er.
6 loads and you are looking at some pretty easy trips, depending on terrain. The sense of accomplishment can’t be put into words though.

Soft, dead weight on a pack isn’t the same as a tidy, snug package that weighs the same. It WILL be off balance, and it might shift around, but it isn’t likely as heavy as you think it is. Packing meat is a mental game, break it down into manageable loads and get it done. (I always have a pack scale in my truck or in the shop, and record weights on everything. They are never as heavy as your mind is telling you, and when you weigh that first one and find out what it actually is, it gets easier mentally).

If the weather is warm, put your quarters up on brush or blowdown so air gets under it. If you are really concerned find the sinew seam on the hinds and open it up to the leg bone and put a little stick in there to keep it open before you bag it. That will let that heavy bone cool a lot faster and will really reduce the chance of bone sour.

Solo big game isn’t for everyone, but if you can prepare yourself mentally for it then you have the battle half won.

Nice man thanks for the tips! I wouldn't have known about opening up the sinew seam and putting a wedge in there. I'm good with skinning and gutting, and with deboning it is pretty much the same for all ungulates correct? Like an Elk will pretty much be the same breakdown but a much larger scale

TheObserver
01-05-2022, 06:38 PM
The above statement is absolutely true

Our elk scout starts on July 1 weekend (usually a week long camp out to see what was logged and locate their water/food sources and check in on a couple of Bull haunts we know of, water is the key though)

does not stop until successful harvest or end of season

I have learned the that to be successful with elk in my corner of region 8 you almost have to sleep with them once located

Good luck

I am definitely willing to put in a lot of time. I just love being in the woods and the adventure, can't get enough. Finding sheds and skulls and stuff. If I focus on region 8 I am going to start looking in Spring

TheObserver
01-05-2022, 06:44 PM
Man that looks killer Mike! is the top like a cheese stuffed Meatball? I am going to make my first batch of Jerky ever, going to do Hickory smoked Blacktail, and then some Alder Sockeye in the next couple weeks.

I have yet to get a Moose either, lots of Deer and Grouse since I was young, about time to reach my next right of pass as a hunter hopefully with a Bull Elk this year hahaha

Bugle M In
01-05-2022, 07:11 PM
yes, elk need water!

KodiakHntr
01-05-2022, 07:11 PM
Nice man thanks for the tips! I wouldn't have known about opening up the sinew seam and putting a wedge in there. I'm good with skinning and gutting, and with deboning it is pretty much the same for all ungulates correct? Like an Elk will pretty much be the same breakdown but a much larger scale

For the life of me I can’t remember the correct name… Connective tissue between major muscle groups at any rate in the outside of the hind quarters. Fronts don’t hold enough heat in the shoulder blade generally but slipping your knife down the edge of the ridge doesn’t hurt much either.

Personally I won’t debone elk or moose meat either unless it has already hung for at least a few days and I really NEED to cut some weight or make them less awkward to pack in horse panniers.
I’ll suffer the extra 8lbs of shoulder blade and humerus and 12 pounds of femur in exchange of ease of handling and packing when it is on my back. Plus I like to hang elk for a minimum of 12 days and you get less dry out if it’s on the bone. Not to mention less time spent concentrating on where the knife blade is in relation to fingers while working beside a big bloody carcass.

That said, a muley or whitetail way back away from the truck is going to be deboned if I have time as that is just getting ground up regardless.

HarryToolips
01-05-2022, 08:54 PM

I agree with all points, 6 loads of meat and head was the total between my partner and I this year on the 6 pt we harvested...lol Just don't try to pack 2 front quarters at once when the first km of the pack out is straight steep uphill, your in for hell I did it - dumb move almost hurt my knee...

HarryToolips
01-05-2022, 08:56 PM
A region 8 bull I Killed

Incredible bull, gives me shivers...and IIRC from your story, he bugled like a monarch as well

Bugle M In
01-06-2022, 02:34 PM
I know one fellow who walked out with both hinds and hip attached from a bull elk over his shoulders.
Pretty impressive to have witnessed.

scttlp86
01-06-2022, 04:53 PM
I know one fellow who walked out with both hinds and hip attached from a bull elk over his shoulders.
Pretty impressive to have witnessed.

Some are just built different!!

Bugle M In
01-06-2022, 05:17 PM
Some are just built different!!
Yup, he was big boy, so it was possible.
Should have got him for a hunting sherpa...uhmmm....I mean hunting partner!

mike31154
01-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Man that looks killer Mike! is the top like a cheese stuffed Meatball? I am going to make my first batch of Jerky ever, going to do Hickory smoked Blacktail, and then some Alder Sockeye

1st photo is like a meatloaf, not meatball but yes, stuffed with cheese, babybel in this case & wrapped in good Canadian bacon. The ground mixture includes some other chopped goodies, onions, tomatoes, garlic IIRC. No idea how the Germans came up with the name, it translates to False Hare.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mFvvGsBsmInqZXxSDX5nRbEt8Kezq40JAGKoLyp7V3w83G57 rIf8CGAZHV4ARyT4sG0-_rHVbPMluhkCNp1GXQ8aWVD8dxpC5XsNE0rJMvTyq-kc-E1N1jPx0G_xN2GU9_QMBfN7LAjl4z1wQcNTun-TR6U2h_WyH9iRJhX6aR8bOrJvosVpjYRu6XKxdL4pd?width=1 024&height=598&cropmode=none

and this is "Brett" salami my daughter made from ground elk, oh my. Smoking is part of the process here.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m8CmRjIdJ43rQan9w_Bbup-v_Jh-Lm8z7Tnx5z6qdNzYTSzFlMoMuVbA5Gw66ArN6E74dzOrEYJQD8 n0vabQWhUPokGWrEjqsMtw26-aqmD3VqPx3FlaTPJxie_dsvEPFdqQiMelZTarYTFKsMtwtYi_n V0Qxmc26S3DwDB_ZbirdrQ0QkfuIp5_658SdF2hJ?width=102 4&height=835&cropmode=none

Link to Falscher Hase recipe.
https://www.chefclub.tv/en-us/recipes/original/fbcc5962-1ede-492f-a915-5e0c91bd1773/cheesy-meatloaf-honestly-this-is-all-our-favourite-thingsmeat-cheese-and-bacon/