PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Solo Elk

shadowhunter
01-02-2022, 11:12 AM
Hey all,
Wishing everyone a happy new year,
looking forward to the year and hunting season ahead.

Im planning on doing my first ever elk hunt and will have the joy of going solo.
Ive hunted a lot solo (deer) but never for a duration this long. Thinking of bringing my flyrod to keep me mentally in the bush as well as a pak alarm and an inreach for safety. I think physically Ill be fine too as im young and have a strong back, and will break down the packout into 4-7 trips.

Im also planning on taking a week off in August to go scouting which may help me find some good country and animals but its hard to know what the pressure will be like when the seasons on.
Im buying a brand new GMC Sierra and dont want to beat the shit out of it so I may consider bring my beater ford f150 if this would be a better option for getting way back

Im leaning towards 7b, but from what Ive heard it can be a zoo around the time I want to be up there (sept 10-24). Im used to other areas (reg 3&8) and there pressure on the main roads and atvs buzzin but Im usually able to get to some good areas with my boot leather. Obviously pressured elk and deer are different.

I know its selfish to want a whole mountain or drainage to yourself, and Im not wanting the place to be completely empty of people and potentially game for that matter, Im just looking for some solitude and Im always worried about calling in other hunters or “falling” for other hunters bugles thinking they’re a bull.

I know a real bull sounds a lot more intense then Bob does as he blows his call out of the cab of his ford. Just not wanting to turn every corner snd seeing a gongshow like whipsaw/tunkwa can be if you know what I mean.

Im looking at options as Ive heard people say if they arnt in one place keep moving untill you find fresh sign (seems simple enough).
For this reason im tossing up bringing a canoe and floating some rivers to get away from the pressure but Im also sure ill be sharing the river with jetboaters and the like. And the hassle of getting a taxi/shuttle ride back to the truck or whatnot can be a pain too.

I also like the idea of hiking the first day a few good kms away from the pressure and setting up a nice comfy base camp for the two weeks. But this wont work if theres no elk around.

Ive also been told that lots of elk in 7b are on private land. Im not huge on knocking on doors and hunting someones back yard.

Would region 4 be a better bet to find some seclusion?

Not looking for honey holes as thats what scouting is for. Just wanting to have a nice two weeks off in the bush with the chance of an elk or mule deer to bring home.

If you were solo for two non chaotic weeks where would you go?

huntingfamily
01-02-2022, 01:11 PM
Fort Nelson

HappyJack
01-02-2022, 01:22 PM
You know there are a lot of grizz in 7B right? It's not wise to go solo in those spots, but I see you are from LML so you won't listen anyway.

I'd charter a jet boat to drop you on the Muskwa/Tuchodi or maybe even the Toad River, about the only way to get away from trucks and atv hunters.

KBC
01-02-2022, 01:48 PM
You know there are a lot of grizz in 7B right? It's not wise to go solo in those spots, but I see you are from LML so you won't listen anyway.

Oh wow hey the jerk store called…

swampthing
01-02-2022, 06:04 PM
I would chose 7b over 4 to try to get as secluded as you can. Region 4 is quite road extensive and the horse guys get into the rest of the country. I do a solo august hunt hunt pretty much every year. You talk about private land in 7b. Go further north like more toad riverish. You can take your nice truck and camp right out of it hiking off the highway.

shadowhunter
01-02-2022, 06:10 PM

I'd charter a jet boat to drop you on the Muskwa/Tuchodi or maybe even the Toad River, about the only way to get away from trucks and atv hunters.

Sounds like youre scared of grizzlies, better not go out without anyone holding your hand. Its scary in the wild. You are the guy who probably needs a nightlight in the bathroom as you sit down to pee like usual.

Appreciate the supportive comments, but the above assuming I wont listen based on my geographical location is halarious, this site is full of people who wont listen or take advice or are overly stubborn, and they live all over the province! Lol seriously though some great people with great advice on this site.

Looking for seclusion away from types like unhappy jack :)

rageous
01-02-2022, 06:22 PM
Go north…and further than you think…and think outside the box.

Bugle M In
01-02-2022, 06:30 PM
We've been talking about heading North, and as stated, way north.
Also as stated, R4 is road extensive, and in many areas, the elk#'s are still way too low, imo.
And if you do find a reasonably populated area, the locals already know the areas all too well.
Doesn't mean you can sneak in there and get one, as timing/luck always are a factor.
But, there is still a long way to go up in there until there is more breathing (hunting) room for all.
Cant say about 7b.
But, if solo, do take some precautions, like packing a SPOT etc, if you plan to get off the beat and path.
One slip, and you could be in big troubles.

5jackz
01-02-2022, 07:13 PM
Go to Wonowon or further North . Terrain south is horrible as soon as it rains ( brutal mud ) .

REMINGTON JIM
01-02-2022, 08:11 PM
Good on YOU ! shawdowhunter - it takes GUT's to do that ! Good LUCK ! I HOPE you have a GREAT Successfull Trip ! RJ

walks with deer
01-02-2022, 11:44 PM
Sounds like youre scared of grizzlies, better not go out without anyone holding your hand. Its scary in the wild. You are the guy who probably needs a nightlight in the bathroom as you sit down to pee like usual.

Appreciate the supportive comments, but the above assuming I wont listen based on my geographical location is halarious, this site is full of people who wont listen or take advice or are overly stubborn, and they live all over the province! Lol seriously though some great people with great advice on this site.

I love this.. any photos of your longest solo meat pack ?and how big was the animal and what general area?
You must have killed alot of grizzlies? Whats the best way to make sure one doesnt eat me as i sleep in my tent covered in elk blood.
Ps how many trips does it take you to pack in your food \tent \stove\clothes for two weeks at once..do you bring a sleeping bag?tarp?lantern? What do you eat and my god what clothes would you bring into the Rockys eitheir region last two week of septmber?

Fosey
01-03-2022, 05:18 AM
One thing if you think you are going to do 4to7 trips into a elk in grizzly
country, I would rethink that one. One encounter with grizzlies on a kill will cure you. It
doesn’t matter how tough you are on the internet. Try to find area without
alot of grizzly sign

HappyJack
01-03-2022, 07:51 AM

Glad you picked up on the trigger joke. ;-)

Seriously though it's not a good idea to solo hunt in wild country, unless you are totally anti social.

KodiakHntr
01-03-2022, 08:56 AM
Seriously though it's not a good idea to solo hunt in wild country, unless you are totally anti social.

Is this a thing that people legitimately worry about? Serious question.
I mean, not that folks take a cavalier attitude about bear safety, but that people won’t solo hunt for fear of bears?

huntingfamily
01-03-2022, 09:42 AM
My biggest safety concern going solo in gbear country would be while gutting/skinning and packing out all of the meat of an elk. Some sheep and goat hunters do it but it's a lot less meat to deal with.
Secondary concern would be getting injured in a remote area.
As mentioned, it would be essential to have a Garmin InReach or Zoleo.

shadowhunter
01-03-2022, 09:47 AM
Peoples fear of bears is amazing to me. I fish the squamish river with big ol grizz mum and cubs and fish the same bar and the same area every year, have had encounters with 1000lb+ coastal grizz and mountain interior grizz before, Ive been bluffed charged by black bears, had them stalk me, sniff out my camp. Isnt that what makes hunting in bear country fun? Something to keep in mind but not going to keep me out of the bush solo.

Some on here read to many headlines of bear attacks, yet having a heart attack or broken leg in the woods is waaaay more likely to happen then yogi mauling you.

Solo hunting is something ive done since I was 18. Packed many deer on my back many miles. Taking your time amd breaking it down into smaller trips is the key to not get exhaustion. You get exhausted and your head doesnt work too good…..

lots of keyboard warriors here probably need there buddy with them riding shotgun as they road hunt the edge of civilization all in the fear of bear attacks.

yes bear attacks happen. But way more deaths out in the bush like heart attacks and falls then people getting attacked by animals.

Simple things like telling someone my location where im planning on going checking in each night and going to keep my head on a swivel and take necessary precautions (cook away from camp, leap frog meat, carry 12gauge in hands etc)

Its amazing how many grown ups are scared of there own mind…. or grizzlies, cougars attacks etc.

Yes I plan on having grizz encounters, just not going to go clutching for my mommy as I soil my depends….

JoeSixPack
01-03-2022, 09:56 AM
If your plan is to hunt the 3point zone in the chetwynd/Ft. st. john/Dawson area, try hunting the edges of the zone. Should be less traffic than picking an area right in the middle. There will be elk to be had, just be prepared to potentially have several days of no action. This ain't primos.

Bugle M In
01-03-2022, 01:02 PM
If your plan is to hunt the 3point zone in the chetwynd/Ft. st. john/Dawson area, try hunting the edges of the zone. Should be less traffic than picking an area right in the middle. There will be elk to be had, just be prepared to potentially have several days of no action. This ain't primos.
"this aint Primos" is a good way to put it.

HappyJack
01-03-2022, 06:40 PM

Pretty tough to find solitude in that zone.

huntingfamily
01-03-2022, 06:46 PM
Pretty tough to find solitude in that zone.

You got that right!

HappyJack
01-04-2022, 08:12 AM
Is this a thing that people legitimately worry about? Serious question.
I mean, not that folks take a cavalier attitude about bear safety, but that people won’t solo hunt for fear of bears?

I think it comes from our early bush craft training [old guys], we never had fancy electronics to call for help so it was drilled into us that it wasn't a good idea to head out alone without someone knowing where you were, bears never factored into it. We may have five guys in camp, but we usually hunt solo for the day. The grizz comments I made earlier were more or less internet joking as I don't really believe LML hunters are any less capable than any others. ;-)

tuchodi
01-04-2022, 08:53 AM
I have hunted solo only because my hunting partner could not make it but having a second person with you in my opinion makes for a much more enjoyable hunt. I would get someone to drop you off on the Muskwa or Tuchodi in a lot of places you would only have to walk a couple km to get into great elk hunting. Yes there are Grizzly around that's because there are elk there but in all my years I have seen lots of Grizzly and have lost a couple of elk to them but never had a bad experience with them you just have to be aware of them and respect them. I have hunted the Tuchodi for over 40 years so send me a message if you want some info on good areas to be dropped off. Best of luck this coming fall.