PDA

View Full Version : How was your year?

Bustercluck
12-31-2021, 08:09 PM
I was just reflecting on the past year and counting up the days I’ve spent in the field and I thought I’d share a few pics. So first multi day trip I remember was late spring for a 3 or 4 day trip into a backcountry lake for some pike fishing with my two boys 6 and 12. Second trip was late august for a 6 day sheep scout/hiking trip with my oldest and a friend of mine with his 2 kids. A week later I chased sheep around for another 9 days. Then we went looking for moose for 6 days with a few friends and a pile of our kids. Then a 3 day trip looking for a late season moose in November.

Those are the multi day trips not including day trips here and there so it was another good year.

I’ll post some of my favourite pics as the night goes by and maybe a few more tomorrow

Blacktail1
12-31-2021, 08:43 PM
It was a bustercluck!!

nature girl
12-31-2021, 09:35 PM
Well I went out bear hunting a few times didn't see any bears. Then did some boating this year.
For the fall season went mule deer hunting for a few days. Then tried for some region 2 blacktail deer hunting saw some fresh tracks that's about it.
Did some coho fishing so have some coho in the freezer was hoping for a deer but hey maybe next year.
I would say even though I didn't get a deer this year I had a really good year.
I got to get out in the fresh air and have some great memories that is what I care about and getting a animal is just a bonus.

Bustercluck
12-31-2021, 09:58 PM
I forgot about this trip so add a few more days to the tally. Lol
https://i.imgur.com/NQZcNsz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qFFma5z.jpg

Redthies
12-31-2021, 10:05 PM
My best year ever. Trout like crazy (limits), grouse like crazy (with another new bird dog), limits on ducks, and my first blacktail buck. I’m hoping .22 is a way better year!

landphil
12-31-2021, 10:40 PM
Speaking about hunting only, it was a better than average year for me. Didn’t get out for spring bear, but did a local 3 day trip, two 5-6 day trips with a buddy to region 4, and a 6 day local moose hunt with my brother. Only bagged a whitetail doe, but had some awesome experiences including a really close chance on a good mulie buck.

Overall though, I’m happy to see this year come to a close. My dad passing early in the year, my wife losing her job, fires… …yeah, it’s been a shitty year. Cautiously hoping ‘22 will be better.

Hugh Mann
01-01-2022, 12:54 AM
My year was pretty great, right up until November 15th, then it really started sucking hard and fast, and not in the good way.

Bustercluck
01-01-2022, 01:11 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MRM0RQl.jpg

Bustercluck
01-01-2022, 01:15 AM
Not too tasteful but whatever

https://i.imgur.com/n8DUe7P.jpg

Redthies
01-01-2022, 09:48 AM
Overall though, I’m happy to see this year come to a close. My dad passing early in the year, my wife losing her job, fires… …yeah, it’s been a shitty year. Cautiously hoping ‘22 will be better.

Sorry to hear that. My stepdad, who was my outdoors mentor died in March of ‘21, and my dad died one day later. They both survived marriage to my mother, but 2021 got them both...

Sako 75
01-01-2022, 11:08 AM
It was great Canada geese hunting for me this season got 2 triple geese on 6 shots. I think there was only couple trips where we didn't get our limit of ducks. Coho salmon fishing has being awesome same with pink salmons with my son. Winter steelhead season was okay. Haven't deer hunt for over 6 years since I got my last buck. Basically hard to believe but lost interest. Also getting tired of bush wacking and hauling the deer out.....just getting old I guess.

fuzzybiscuit
01-01-2022, 01:33 PM
I never hunted much farther than 120km from home but I did put quite a few days in the bush. I managed to get a good buddy into his first bull moose and also get my nephew into his first bull. A couple wolves for myself as well as a respectable 4x4 Whitetail. I saw lots of game and passed on quite a few Whitetail bucks and a small bull moose in the late season when I had a tag. Three families with full freezers and a bunch of good memories so 2021 was a great year for me.

Bugle M In
01-01-2022, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. My stepdad, who was my outdoors mentor died in March of ‘21, and my dad died one day later. They both survived marriage to my mother, but 2021 got them both...
Sorry to hear that.
All the best to you for this year.

Bugle M In
01-01-2022, 02:21 PM
My Saltwater Fishing went well this year, better than expected and better than most on those days out on the water.
Elk hunting still has lots of room for improvement, a lot of room, but we missed out on a bull taken the morning we drove in.
MD hunting was fine, but mad at myself for pulling the pin, but proud of "the hunt/stalk" I put on that morning and getting
that bugger out in piece on my own even if it took me 14hours to finally hang it on the tree, skinned and cleaned.
Only real downside is the concern about my main hunting partner starting to become more of a let down and bailing more and
more, and putting on way too much weight as well.
Future doesn't look great with my Dad and I think My hunts will be less and less now going forward.
But, hoping I can substitute that decline with more fishing.
Probably for the best anyways, as the wildlife declines don't appear to be getting better and proposals only worse.
Overall, I got to enjoy to time out in the wild, away from the city!
Always!

IslandWanderer
01-01-2022, 02:26 PM
My son and I went on a couple of 1 week trips. No luck until the last day of the second trip. The deer and bears were either too fast or a bit small. The last day we took 3 freezer deer and were happy to have them. We ground them up ourselves and we both felt really good about how our season turned out.

Everything else about 2021 was pretty standard, which of course is a good thing.

Looking forward to 2022- accommodation booked for spring bear in May, and the annual deer trip in November.

Bubbacanuck
01-01-2022, 02:29 PM
It was one of those years. Skipped spring bear as I still have quite a bit of bear meat from the previous year. So we went turkey hunting instead and in trying to get my buddy on his first Tom I passed a couple opportunities and we both came home empty handed. While turkey hunting came across a lot of elk sign. Decided to head to that area for the 10 day bow season for any bull. Unfortunately the weather didn’t really cooperate but great times with good friends…minus the crazy locals we ran into lol. Got out for one day trip in Oct and managed to get my first mulie. Tried to do our annual BT deer hunt but ended up not being able to go which was super disappointing. Then the floods washed away any chance of. Heading WT’s. Managed to get 20 ducks so far though, which has been great. Hoping to still hammer some ducks and geese. Looking forward to the 10 day Brant season in March and still going to chase some cats this winter. Fires, heat waves, floods and C-19 all put a bit of a damper on 2021 so here’s looking forward to 2022!!

Bustercluck
01-01-2022, 03:16 PM
Sounds like the coho fishing was good this year. I’d take a 6 pound coho over a 30 pound spring any day.

and a few more pics. I wish there was sound. My little guy jumped in off the dock and didn’t realize how cold it was until he hit the water

https://i.imgur.com/LFMmVzG.mp4

IronNoggin
01-01-2022, 04:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Y7SPflZ.jpg

landphil
01-01-2022, 05:00 PM

Man, that’s rough. My condolences to you as well. The I think the best we can do is to carry on in the way they taught us, but there sure are tough moments.

Blockcaver
01-01-2022, 06:46 PM
Was a fine 50th season bowhunting as I was got a Nunavut Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou that completed the archery super slam (29 North American big game species with the bow). Was my third hunt for them.

Also arrowed a nice spring black bear. There was quite a bit more hunting too but nothing else arrowed.

The bird dog had a good fall too!

ghost
01-01-2022, 07:01 PM
Had a pretty good year. Got a small4x4 Muley and my first whitetail buck. I would like to post some pictures but i can’t figure that part

Bustercluck
01-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Had a pretty good year. Got a small4x4 Muley and my first whitetail buck. I would like to post some pictures but i can’t figure that part
I can give you a quick tutorial on how to use imgur or you can text me some photos and I’ll post them for u.

Weatherby Fan
01-01-2022, 08:10 PM
Well let’s see 2021, I still have a job, I didn’t die from Covid-19 and got out hunting Mule Deer with my son for a week, yeh it was ok !

Sitkaspruce
01-01-2022, 08:32 PM
Freezers Full!

Cheers

SS

Husky7mm
01-01-2022, 09:26 PM
It was a great year. Didn’t get out as much as I would have liked but every trip was quality. I even wrote a story with pictures for those that are interested. Its in the out of province thread. I don’t know if people look there much.
Happy hunting, and congrats to all the hunters.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?168159-2021-A-Story-of-elk-moose-and-deer (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?168159-2021-A-Story-of-elk-moose-and-deer)

Imdone
01-01-2022, 09:43 PM
2021 started with several steelhead ....... Still a bit of Jan Ducks was fun. Then a couple of B Bears passed on in the spring season. Rainbow fishing was decent. Warm temps screwed our moose hunt but B Bears were everywhere so a good one became several pounds of different sausage types. Chinook fishing was darn good with some hatch coho in the boxes too. Early season W Tail turned out to be a bonus decision harvesting a huge 7x5, then a decent 4x3 . Transportation lockdown almost shut the season off, but passed on a few small BTs. Bigger next year. Ducks and Geese have been a blast no punn intended until the big freeze. It's been fun. Again.

HarryToolips
01-01-2022, 10:01 PM
Didn't get out much for spring bear, but passed on a few smaller ones....fishing with my son for rainbows was productive in the small upland lakes.....Fall hunting a dream came true and finally scored my first bull elk, a 6x6 GOS bull, couldn't have done it without my partner of course....then him, my son (who turned 9 in November), and I harvested a 4x4 mulie, with my buddy pulling the trigger, right after my son whom I told got to decide what I harvest on the hunt told me not to shoot a smaller buck (which I was happy that he wanted to hold out for a bigger one)...but then I didn't get out for much more deer hunting after that because I changed jobs & moved due to vaxx mandates.....

https://i.imgur.com/mkzw1Vh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dFv6lV3.jpg

HarryToolips
01-01-2022, 10:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/rsLRtP6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nZpdt2V.jpg

HarryToolips
01-01-2022, 10:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ujglj34.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/osYC1Q9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FcIzfV8.jpg

Norwestalta
01-01-2022, 10:37 PM
Best year ever. Fired one shot that was just right.

j270wsm
01-01-2022, 10:48 PM
Spent lots of time travelling to cranbrook to see my oldest son who was doing his HD pre app( went to college 1yr early ) Tons of sledding between Jan and march. April-may were spent getting ready for Dirtbiking/camping. June was busy getting ready for my sons high school grad. Night before grad I wiped out on my dirt bike destroying my shoulder, resulting in missing 3 months of work. Turned 40 in late july( drank too much tequila ) September I met 3 amazing fellow hunters/hbc members and helped them try to find their first elk. Late September to late November I got all my fire wood for winter which also resulted in putting a white tail in the freezer. Early december brought tons of snow and early sledding…..which resulted in me being stupid and smashing my leg when my sled landed on it………lol.
Outside of people reminding me about covid and a few small hiccups…..2021 was a pretty good year.

Bustercluck
01-01-2022, 11:01 PM
Spent lots of time travelling to cranbrook to see my oldest son who was doing his HD pre app( went to college 1yr early ) Tons of sledding between Jan and march. April-may were spent getting ready for Dirtbiking/camping. June was busy getting ready for my sons high school grad. Night before grad I wiped out on my dirt bike destroying my shoulder, resulting in missing 3 months of work. Turned 40 in late july( drank too much tequila ) September I met 3 amazing fellow hunters/hbc members and helped them try to find their first elk. Late September to late November I got all my fire wood for winter which also resulted in putting a white tail in the freezer. Early december brought tons of snow and early sledding…..which resulted in me being stupid and smashing my leg when my sled landed on it………lol.
Outside of people reminding me about covid and a few small hiccups…..2021 was a pretty good year.
Did you decide to grow up after a couple fiascos like that? Or do you still plan on living out your youth the same way?

I do some of the same stuff and I’m waiting for it to bite me in the ass and I always wonder what the kids think when they’re hanging out with me and I’m being a jackass. I’ll be 40 this year so I figure I should slow down soon.

Bustercluck
01-01-2022, 11:01 PM
Great pics as always Harry.

Bustercluck
01-02-2022, 02:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Dil9I0K.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tNXFhop.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cMVrh4l.jpg

Bustercluck
01-02-2022, 03:11 AM
Here’s one. My 6 year old asked what the name of this plant was and I told him I didn’t know. I could tell the gears were turning a bit and he was thinking about something and a half hour and kilometre later he sees another one. “Do you think we could call these the virus plants if they don’t have a name? Look at them, they look just like the coronavirus”.

https://i.imgur.com/WtGSpNl.jpg

caddisguy
01-02-2022, 04:44 AM
Decent year. Spring... shot a nice bear but not good enough. Ran out of blood, spent days looking and came up empty. Took a smaller bear a couple weeks later.

Did some fishing, caught a pretty cool steelhead... radiator cracked that weekend and patched it with rubber vinyl and "liquid cement" from the boat patch kit. Got me home, got a new radiator, fixed a bunch of suspension stuff.

Took the jeep in to a shop I'd never been to before, just for inspection to detect and fix anything I missed. They took me for a long expensive ride and was without a jeep for 5-6 weeks. Mistake was I let them chase a minor evap code... ended up throwing a parts cannon at it... needs new LDP, nope, that's not it. got annoyed because they had me for 1k in BS already, so fix it or refund, ohh it's the gas tank, we replaced it, oooh jeep doesnt start now, that's funny.... fuel pump... on and on. Friggin crooks, held my rig hostage. When I got it back everything was ransacked, stuff that was in the glove box in the center console, stuff from the center console in the glovebox and stuff scattered on the floor and under the seats. Half wonder if they dropped it off the lift, but couldn't find any real damage other than to the wallet.

caddisgirl picked up a Henry H009 30-30. We tracked down a rail for it and scoped it. Cool gun!

Bow season came and went, no dice.

Had fun stomping around chasing deer in the timber but ended up with one deer (3x2) right around camp. Funny how that seems to go.

Took my brother out for his annual trip, got skunked, then stuck from the floods, bit of an adventure waiting for stars to align and Salty to save my a$$

Never did get out hunting after that. 2021 was good to us, probably better than many, so much misfortune for so many, but looking forward to what this year brings. Thinking it's all going to turn for the better.

Off to a weird start tho. Get a message from the neighbor she is pos for Rona. I message her, hey if you need anything let us know. I can zip around and do errands or pick things up. I don't hear back. 4am new years eve wake up to flashy lights and they are loading her into the ambulance.

caddisgirl was talking to her some days prior, took the same elevator, then she got sick, now I'm sick. We're doing fine (I feel great considering, caddisgirl a little back and forth) but no real update on neighbor other than still in hospital with "severe complications" ... hopefully this early wrinkle irons out and 22 is a gooder. I mean ".22", come on, it's gotta be good :) Turn around year! If ya'll don't mind please send some positive healing thoughts to my neighbor Nancy.

Redthies
01-02-2022, 08:33 AM
Jeez Caddis... Your life is a rollercoaster! Mechanics can suck. Sometimes they can be saviours though. I’m officially jealous of Caddisgirl. I’d love another Henry in .30-30 but I’m waiting for Anthony to act on my suggestions for a carbine or Trapper length barrel. I bought a .44 Mag Bigboy this year though. What scope did you mount?

Do you guys have “the virus”? I’ll keep some positive thoughts headed your way (and your neighbors).

Redthies
01-02-2022, 08:40 AM
@Bugle M In and landphil, thanks for the condolences. Both my dads were 90, so had full lives. My dad was sick for a couple of years with dementia and various cancers, so it was a relief for him. Stepdad was living on his own, walking his dogs, bought a new mountain bike (seriously!) and then fell down one day. Brain tumours. He was gone in 3 weeks. We thought he was going to go another 5 years at least. That was harder to take, but the 3 weeks allowed us all to see him and say goodbye. I’m 53 so I know a lot of older people. Lots of my friends parents are starting to go. It’s a part of life we all have to deal with.

.22 will be the best year ever. I can feel it!

HarryToolips
01-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Great pics as always Harry.
Thanks man!

HarryToolips
01-02-2022, 10:13 AM
Speaking about hunting only, it was a better than average year for me. Didn’t get out for spring bear, but did a local 3 day trip, two 5-6 day trips with a buddy to region 4, and a 6 day local moose hunt with my brother. Only bagged a whitetail doe, but had some awesome experiences including a really close chance on a good mulie buck.

My condolences to you about your dad, and your wife losing her job...

HarryToolips
01-02-2022, 10:13 AM
My condolences to you as well.......

Arctic Lake
01-02-2022, 11:14 AM
To all of you that have lost loved ones sorry for your loss it’s not easy , if they had full and basically healthy lives for the most part that’s something to help ease the the pain of loss !

We have had better years but it could be worse , so We are thankful for that !

Hope all of you have a healthy and prosperous 2022 !
Arctic Lake

HarryToolips
01-02-2022, 02:27 PM
♤♤♤♤you too buddy..

Bugle M In
01-02-2022, 02:34 PM
@Bugle M In and landphil, thanks for the condolences. Both my dads were 90, so had full lives. My dad was sick for a couple of years with dementia and various cancers, so it was a relief for him. Stepdad was living on his own, walking his dogs, bought a new mountain bike (seriously!) and then fell down one day. Brain tumours. He was gone in 3 weeks. We thought he was going to go another 5 years at least. That was harder to take, but the 3 weeks allowed us all to see him and say goodbye. I’m 53 so I know a lot of older people. Lots of my friends parents are starting to go. It’s a part of life we all have to deal with.

.22 will be the best year ever. I can feel it!
Yup, after my Dad is gone here, it will be the end of an era for me, as he is the last of all the older folks I grew up with and
basically considered aunts and uncles even though there were no blood ties.
Even back in Europe, most of the gang is long gone, even some cousins now.
Its only when you look back at your life and times spent with others you realize how special they were.
Quite often just don't realize it at the time sadly.
Because life is life and people leave, its important to continue to make new friends along the way.
Can get lonely otherwise.

caddisguy
01-02-2022, 05:31 PM
Jeez Caddis... Your life is a rollercoaster! Mechanics can suck. Sometimes they can be saviours though. I’m officially jealous of Caddisgirl. I’d love another Henry in .30-30 but I’m waiting for Anthony to act on my suggestions for a carbine or Trapper length barrel. I bought a .44 Mag Bigboy this year though. What scope did you mount?

Do you guys have “the virus”? I’ll keep some positive thoughts headed your way (and your neighbors).

It was tough sourcing any mounts locally or even Amazon, so ended up ordering one from Henry Pride. Had to pay an arm and a leg for shipping and wait a few weeks for it to arrive. First shipment actually got turned around, but they were on it right away and shipped out another in short order. Really good service, prompt and responsive. Here's the link:

https://henrypride.com/products/henry-egw-picatinny-rail-h009-and-h010-series

Was worth every penny seeing caddisgirl with the setup she always wanted. Probably one of the highlights of her 2021! :)

As for 'the virus", yeah it seems that way. She has a test booked for Tuesday. We sure know how to start a new year. We're good though. She feels a bit better than yesterday. I'm a bit worse today, but she had a head start. Really worried about me neighbor though. Been in the ICU since around 4am Friday.

Anyway, it was a good 2021 for us and I am optimistic 2022 will be even better.

Condolences to you and anyone who lost loved ones in 21. Here's hoping for a healthy and prosperous 2022 for all.

j270wsm
01-02-2022, 10:32 PM
Did you decide to grow up after a couple fiascos like that? Or do you still plan on living out your youth the same way?

I do some of the same stuff and I’m waiting for it to bite me in the ass and I always wonder what the kids think when they’re hanging out with me and I’m being a jackass. I’ll be 40 this year so I figure I should slow down soon.

no plan to slow down……lol
Dirt bike accident……front tire slid out going 15-20km/hr…..shit happens. Sled injury happened when learning to do re entries…..didn’t jump far enough and the brake lever/reservoir smashed into my shin when the sled came over backwards.

Bustercluck
01-03-2022, 07:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/FvmUgKQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OY0I236.jpg

and some goats because this is a hunting site.

https://i.imgur.com/KZ8DMZi.jpg

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 12:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ybIho6l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wmn1OvF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gIC3UTl.jpg

Hopefully the pictures came up.
Hunting wise it was a good year got two Blacktails with my bow the 4x2 pictured above(hopefully hahah) and a spiker. I found a really good local place 20-30 minute drive from where I live for Blacktails that produces. Found a new absolutely beautiful high country region 3 area that I am excited to scout and hopefully take a Mulie from next year. My locating of pockets of Deer in new areas was very good this year, of course lots of work put into that.

The bad, me and my Old man were hunting Rememberance day long weekend Region 8. We were gathering wood for the wood stove and somebody hit my Old man and dragged him up the FSR in their car. He good hurt pretty bad but is on the mend major and is doing really well. I am very happy with his recovery, I thought we was going to be almost vegetable like for a while but has pulled through that and is recovering. They haven't got the person yet.

Bugle M In
01-03-2022, 12:59 PM
^^^^^What???
Someone ran over you dad?
While hunting?

WTF???

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Yeah they hit him and then he got hooked on the vehicle somehow and dragged him about 300 meters

Bustercluck
01-03-2022, 02:49 PM
Yeah they hit him and then he got hooked on the vehicle somehow and dragged him about 300 meters
That’s pretty f’d up man. Could they have not noticed? Blatant disregard for someone’s life? I find it hard to believe people like this exist out there.

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 07:19 PM
Yeah buddy it was insane, they were going way to fast for at night on the FSR and snowing. Because of where they came from, most likely the lower road of the mountain they were probably high or drunk. I figured they were going to go around but they headed right for us. They didn't stop or slow down, my Dad eventually came unhooked from the car somehow

Bustercluck
01-03-2022, 07:44 PM
Yeah buddy it was insane, they were going way to fast for at night on the FSR and snowing. Because of where they came from, most likely the lower road of the mountain they were probably high or drunk. I figured they were going to go around but they headed right for us. They didn't stop or slow down, my Dad eventually came unhooked from the car somehow

I couldn’t imagine hit and running someone and driving away knowing they could be bleeding out and maybe I could save them, no matter what state I’m in.

I remember a story from a bunch of years ago where a group of people were making a booze run in port Hardy and ran over a woman who ended up getting stuck on the front of the car somewhere. They pulled the into a garage and parked the car and left her to die while they kept partying. Some people are pretty screwed up.

TheObserver
01-03-2022, 07:52 PM
Yeah it's pretty sickening, some warped people out there! I had to jump out of the way and missed getting hit myself by seconds

butthead
01-04-2022, 10:03 PM
first year i didnt hunt in 30 years

Bugle M In
01-04-2022, 10:49 PM
Any details on the truck etc?
Obviously you are not going to say where due to it being you hunting spot.

Bugle M In
01-04-2022, 10:51 PM
first year i didnt hunt in 30 years
That sucks.
I have a feeling this coming season might also be the first time I may not hunt either.
I cant even think how long that would make it????
45 years maybe??

TheObserver
01-04-2022, 11:20 PM
Any details on the truck etc?
Obviously you are not going to say where due to it being you hunting spot.

It was actually a car, I got the description but no plate. It happened so quick and it was dark and snowing. It happened in Rock Creek.

Why ain't you huntin this season Bugle?

Bugle M In
01-04-2022, 11:38 PM
It was actually a car, I got the description but no plate. It happened so quick and it was dark and snowing. It happened in Rock Creek.

Why ain't you huntin this season Bugle?
Well, My father is going downhill quick.
When he passes, there will be some big changes for me.
I live in a small place in the city, so most of my gear amongst other stuff is always stored at his place.
Also, the truck and camper is another storage issue which actually he owns.
So, I have 2 big changes coming, the loss of my best friend to be honest, and my most reliable hunting partner.
And the fact that I most likely we have to sell his house, which means I need to figure out stuff with the wife as to where we
go from here, and keeping in mind my daughter is only in gr9, so wife doesn't want to move far and there aint a chance in hell
I could afford a place, with tons of storage and garages (plural for a reason) in the area we currently live.
So, It might be a big sell off of truck/camper etc.
And i am not so sure I will replace it at a later date????
And paying for storage short term is a solution, but long term is a no go.

I cant say for sure what will happen.
I only know some big changes are coming for me.
If hunting comes to a halt, then so be it, as I have had many good years.
And it isn't cheap anymore, with the price of fuel and maintenance etc.
Might be spending way more time on day trips on the local rivers doing something new.
Plus, have found a new passion with saltwater fishing these past few years and I might as well get some time in there, while
there are still a few salmon left and before the dfo shuts out sportfishing completely.

TheObserver
01-04-2022, 11:57 PM
Well, My father is going downhill quick.
When he passes, there will be some big changes for me.
I live in a small place in the city, so most of my gear amongst other stuff is always stored at his place.
Also, the truck and camper is another storage issue which actually he owns.
So, I have 2 big changes coming, the loss of my best friend to be honest, and my most reliable hunting partner.
And the fact that I most likely we have to sell his house, which means I need to figure out stuff with the wife as to where we
go from here, and keeping in mind my daughter is only in gr9, so wife doesn't want to move far and there aint a chance in hell
I could afford a place, with tons of storage and garages (plural for a reason) in the area we currently live.
So, It might be a big sell off of truck/camper etc.
And i am not so sure I will replace it at a later date????
And paying for storage short term is a solution, but long term is a no go.

I cant say for sure what will happen.
I only know some big changes are coming for me.
If hunting comes to a halt, then so be it, as I have had many good years.
And it isn't cheap anymore, with the price of fuel and maintenance etc.
Might be spending way more time on day trips on the local rivers doing something new.
Plus, have found a new passion with saltwater fishing these past few years and I might as well get some time in there, while
there are still a few salmon left and before the dfo shuts out sportfishing completely.

Ahh man that's rough, I feel where you are coming from. When my Dad got hit and he was just gone I thought he was dead for sure until I found him up the FSR. How old is your Old Man if you don't mind me askin? Yeah the housing market down here is just disgusting. I just completed my Red Seal for Welding, and am contemplating starting over again in a Millwright apprenticeship to get the Red Seal in that, figure it would be easier to get work wherever I wanted in BC if I have that. That or Metal Fab/Fitting. Really getting sick of down here.

You could still do local stuff, you ever hunt the Blacktails?

Bugle M In
01-05-2022, 07:18 PM
For sure, there are options possibly.
Thing is, some of my hunting partners dont even own a cooler because we have always supplied all the gear!
And those that do, dont have the extra bed.
I will figure it out.
Dad is 83 soon.
But he hunted right up to 81!, but yes, that last 5 were hard for him.
I knew it was coming, and try to find a reliable hunting partner, and thought i had, but since his new fiance or whatever she is,
there certainly has been a change.
He is the one in for the big shocker!
HE was certainly surprised when he learned i had already gone and came back with a buck and never asked him to come along.
Hunting solo is alright, but better shared with friends, imo.

I will figure it out eventually.
As for your dad, i understand the concern.
One time my father didn't come out and was late by 2 hours, and i was totally alarmed.
Thought he had had a heart attack, and that was back in the day before radios.

Enjoy that time with him.
It really is priceless.

TheObserver
01-06-2022, 06:19 PM
Tough old guy!

It is, and I noticed around 25 how the time, the days/weeks/months just seem to fly right by now.

ElectricDyck
01-07-2022, 08:46 PM
This years hunting was pretty crap between, travel restrictions, fires, floods, my whole family getting covid....hoping this year will be better but with the way things are so weird now I dont know...

twoSevenO
01-14-2022, 06:54 PM
It was awesome. Entire family avoided yet another year of covid. I started a new job and am much happier in the regard. My daughter is now almost 3 and the most adorable and funniest little thing ever.

Lots of firsts for her like her first hike, first camping trip etc. It's been great.

It was a great year overall. Hunting season was also cut short due to flooding, but did manage to help my dad get a buck so that was nice.

Here's to 2022 :)

Bugle M In
01-16-2022, 01:08 PM
It was awesome. Entire family avoided yet another year of covid. I started a new job and am much happier in the regard. My daughter is now almost 3 and the most adorable and funniest little thing ever.

Lots of firsts for her like her first hike, first camping trip etc. It's been great.

It was a great year overall. Hunting season was also cut short due to flooding, but did manage to help my dad get a buck so that was nice.

Here's to 2022 :)
That was a nice photo of you and your father that you sent me.
Make sure to frame it.