PDA

View Full Version : Binocular tripod adapters

twoSevenO
12-21-2021, 01:30 PM
Hi guys,

I have a cheap tripod adapter for my binos and I'm not happy with it. It's hard to get it tight and any adjustment of the binos loosens it up and then they flop to one side or the other.

Are you using one that works? Can you give me some recommendations?

Let me know if you use the "regular" kind or quick release kind as well.

Was using my binos to do some glassing last year and find it really handy for a few spots where I don't need to carry my spotter.

Thanks!

alberta hunter
12-21-2021, 04:28 PM
I have the luopold, bino unit work for me and you can just remove your binos when you like to, I know crazy spell check

264mag
12-21-2021, 05:16 PM
I use the Zeiss universal bino adapter on an outdoorsman pistol grip head sitting on a slik 624 carbon fibre tripod.

Brew
12-21-2021, 06:23 PM
I’m using the outdoorsman pistol grip with the Swarovski studs on my binos. Outdoorsmans products are great. Buy once cry once

tdot
12-21-2021, 08:08 PM
Another Outdoorsman user here, I've been happy with their bino stud's and adapters. But I've tried all of their heads (except the fluid head) and returned them. I wasn't impressed with any of them, combine that with the price and it was an easy return. Settled on the Really Right Stuff BPC-16, a fraction of the price and weight. Noticeably better build quality and stability.

Frank grimes
12-21-2021, 08:13 PM
I also use the outdoorsmans pistol grip, panner, and bino adapter and stud. I like it.
the pistol grip also works with my Nikon ed50 spotter which is a plus. Anything heavier and I’d probably want a pan head.
iv seen another bino adapter from rrs I think. It wrapped around one tub, and stayed on the binos. Looked pretty legit, if it wasn’t to heavy and fit in the harness. I hate huge bino harnesses. My one buddy basically has a backpack on his chest.

whitlers
12-21-2021, 10:52 PM
Outdoorsmans adapter hands down. Quick, easy, secure and durable. Paired with a VA-5 head and I have been quite happy.

twoSevenO
12-21-2021, 11:59 PM
Outdoorsmans adapter hands down. Quick, easy, secure and durable. Paired with a VA-5 head and I have been quite happy.

Quick Google doesn't show it available in Canada. Did you order from USA? How much they ding you in total to get it here?

Seems to be a popular one for sure, but seems the stud is sold separately? Some reviews are complaining about that.

SR80
12-22-2021, 06:45 AM
I went through a lot of bino adapters and settled on the outdoorsmans as well. I had their pistol grip head as well and that thing was awesome for binos and smaller spotters, but i didnt really like it with a 65mm spotter. But cant go wrong with their adapter and stud. Need to buy the stud as per your bino and the adapter comes in short and tall.

Alpine Hunter
12-22-2021, 07:15 AM
I also have the Outdoorsman’s stud on my EL’s with their bino adapter and a VA-5 pan head. I am very happy with how it works. I was a bit apprehensive about sending my binos to Arizona to have the stud installed, but it was a very simple and fast process.

whitlers
12-22-2021, 08:27 AM
Quick Google doesn't show it available in Canada. Did you order from USA? How much they ding you in total to get it here?

Seems to be a popular one for sure, but seems the stud is sold separately? Some reviews are complaining about that.

I want to say it was $130 CAD to my door including the stud but that was a couple years ago. I'd have to check.

Its definitely an expensive option but it's the best on the market in my opinion.

twoSevenO
12-22-2021, 02:03 PM
I also have the Outdoorsman’s stud on my EL’s with their bino adapter and a VA-5 pan head. I am very happy with how it works. I was a bit apprehensive about sending my binos to Arizona to have the stud installed, but it was a very simple and fast process.

The ELs don't have a removable cap on the front with a thread for the adapter???

Alpine Hunter
12-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Unfortunately not. The front hinge pin must be removed. Then a new one with a stud is pressed in. As long as Outdoorsman’s does this it does not affect the Swarovski warranty.

RobbieH
12-22-2021, 06:30 PM
Staoptics universal tripod adaptor. 25 bucks on Amazon. I have too. Rock solid. Best deal you’ll ever find.

twoSevenO
12-22-2021, 06:41 PM
Staoptics universal tripod adaptor. 25 bucks on Amazon. I have too. Rock solid. Best deal you’ll ever find.

Looks like a copy of the outdoorsman design. Have you used it long? Has it held up fine for more than a couple of seasons?

The outdoorsman has fantastic reviews all over, but it is definitely pretty pricey.

twoSevenO
12-22-2021, 06:44 PM
I went through a lot of bino adapters and settled on the outdoorsmans as well. I had their pistol grip head as well and that thing was awesome for binos and smaller spotters, but i didnt really like it with a 65mm spotter. But cant go wrong with their adapter and stud. Need to buy the stud as per your bino and the adapter comes in short and tall.

Seems to be the most popular one online, that's for sure. Looks like Corlanes carries them locally at about $98 plus $25ish for stud.

Not cheap, but I may splurge when I remember how annoying the $18.99 one has been last season. Lol

SR80
12-23-2021, 06:36 AM
Seems to be the most popular one online, that's for sure. Looks like Corlanes carries them locally at about $98 plus $25ish for stud.

Not cheap, but I may splurge when I remember how annoying the $18.99 one has been last season. Lol

Its definitely worth the money. I leave the adapter on my tripod all the time, and then its so fast and easy to get set up.

Onchy
12-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Another vote for the outdoorsman adapter. Secure, stable, quick and easy to attach binos. Have it on a VA-5 pan head. Very happy with the combo

ForealBoreal
12-24-2021, 02:14 PM

twoSevenO
01-11-2022, 11:16 PM
bit pricey, but ended up ordering the Outdoorsman unit. Very nice! It will definitely work a lot better than the screw in adapter i've been using.
I think the fact that the adapter and stud aren't bundled together is kind of lame since you can't use the adapter without the stud, but whatever.

If you haven't tried glassing with binoculars, you are missing out. There are some spots where bringing the spotter just doesn't make sense based on the lay of the land and the available glassing distances. And any time i can save lugging around an extra 4lb (or whatever it weighs) all day i'm all for it.

Sako81
01-11-2022, 11:34 PM
Good choice. I use the Outdoorsman pistol grip, panner, bino adapter and tripod for my SLCs and works awesome. Definitely a buy once cry once scenario but worth it. I wish the stud worked on the el ranges without having to send them in.

sako79
01-12-2022, 07:25 AM
I was going to get the outdoors in the stud listed for my EL's But I did not want to send them down to the States. But then when I replace them with the NL's I ordered their stud and Adapter. I am so glad I purchased them. It's such a nice set up and worth every penny