PDA

View Full Version : 14 quarts of turkey.

MRP
12-19-2021, 09:19 AM
So the wife has been getting turkeys with her Saveon points. Canned up 4 of them. Cut them up almost like you would a chicken, laid them out in a roasting pans except the wings, with diced carrots, celery, onions and all the usual spices. After cooking and cooling we picking the bones clean and some finger licking we put the meat to the fridge wile we made stock. All the drippings, bones, fat, skin, vegetables went in a BIG pot with just enough water to cover it and let simmer for about 12hr then after cooling strained it through a sieve. Diced all the meat and stuffed quart jars and topped them up with stock. 14 quarts of turkey and 14 pints of stock.

We broiler the wings for supper the next day. That’s a lot of eating at a very low cost.
Nothing like turkey stock to make gravy for french fries.

Knute
12-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Helluva of a good home kitchen project. Not overly difficult with great results...delicious.

So many things to be done with the product, I'm partial to stew and dumplings.

The gravy for air fries, tasty and healthy ;) and done in under half an hour. hhhmmm

boxhitch
12-19-2021, 10:52 AM
Nice. We do up 1 or 2 a year just for variety, but just freeze in portion-size zlocks
We buy from a colony near D Cr.

walks with deer
12-19-2021, 11:36 AM
I made turkey bear european weinners. Never canned turkey yet but its a good idea..i have canned everything else lol. When all the vacinated turn into zombies we will be happy to find canned food for the first winter.

MRP
12-19-2021, 01:13 PM
What I like about caned is it costs nothing to store it. And no refrigeration required on them long camping trips. Love them home caned meatball, spaghetti sauce, salsa, fish, hot pickled green beans......when out camping. But yes there’s always turkey in the freezer.

PS haven’t done it in a wile but canned grouse is to kill for.mmmmmmmm

mike31154
12-19-2021, 06:28 PM
Couple weeks ago I did a 10 or 12 lb turkey on the BBQ rotisserie, yum. No canning, I was eating turkey for a few days haha. Last dish was turkey fried rice with leftovers.

Modeltwelve
12-19-2021, 07:08 PM
Couple weeks ago I did a 10 or 12 lb turkey on the BBQ rotisserie, yum. No canning, I was eating turkey for a few days haha. Last dish was turkey fried rice with leftovers.

Never done a turkey on the barbecue before but always wanted to, have done everything but turkey on the rotisserie. After reading your post I have to do it.

MRP
12-19-2021, 07:34 PM
Yummmmm. I have a turkey deep frier and a propane infrared cooker. Crispy wings and skin :lol: my bbq is to small for a rotisserie.

Ferenc
12-19-2021, 08:35 PM
Thinking along the lines of tryin a Beer can Turkey this holiday ..

Sitkaspruce
12-19-2021, 08:39 PM
We usually use our SOM and PC points to buy utility grade turkeys at Easter.

I remove the legs, wings and neck for later smoking. I am not a big fan of turkey; working in a fish camp for a summer, we had turkey once a week and I just grew to dislike it. Took a few years to try it again. Smoked legs and wings are now back on the menu!

I bone out the rest and make a bunch of turkey burger, The carcasses got into big pots and get simmered with veggies and spices until the meat falls off. Strain, skim and bag the stock in 4 cups, the meat is frozen and used later.

Turkey burger is used for a lot of things. Next year, I am going to make turkey sausage instead, possibly smoked.

Cheers

SS

walks with deer
12-19-2021, 09:47 PM
Ya hoping to raise some this year.

mike31154
12-20-2021, 02:11 PM
Never done a turkey on the barbecue before but always wanted to, have done everything but turkey on the rotisserie. After reading your post I have to do it.

Plenty of YouTube tutorials on the subject. It should be a smaller bird, no more than 12 lbs or so. That's about the most weight the average rotisserie can handle. Otherwise not much different than rotisserie chicken. I've had oven & turkey done in one of those deep frying rigs, but the rotisserie has been by far the best. Works best if your BBQ has the indirect burner at the back.

I slid a whole lemon on the rod so it was inside the cavity for cooking. Also loaded the inside up with potatoes, carrot, onion, sage, spices etc. More potatoes & stuff in a drip tray under the bird.

jlirot
12-21-2021, 10:13 AM
I canned a bunch of venison and bear. It's HUGELY popular with my friends. I made a 'bear pie' for Thanksgiving and it was the hit of the dinner.

For grilling turkey you can't beat spatchcocking. Sometimes it's nice to have the whole bird for presentation - but spatchcocking cuts down the cooking time and allows for a much more even cooking. Easier to keep everything moist as well.