PDA

View Full Version : Vedder Steelhead, Anyone out there yet trying yet?

Bugle M In
12-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone on HBC goes out fishing for them?
If so, what are the conditions like?
Or is the the area to busted up still from recent floods and more of a hinderance for those trying to fix
the area/s up, by having added traffic again?
(I know, someone is going to chime in that its a bad idea, stay away, cause they don't want
the added competition:wink:)

tubby
12-18-2021, 04:07 PM
Its clay. Slides are still bad.

Bugle M In
12-18-2021, 05:24 PM
Its clay. Slides are still bad.

Really.....okay.
I heard that the one area that was washed out and constantly caused to the water to cloud up was now washed away,
so hopefully better in the future.

backstrap
12-18-2021, 06:14 PM
The clay banks will never be gone. Sometimes the river runs right into them and sometimes the channel changes and stays away from them a bit. Right now the water is fairly dirty about 6”-10” of vis. Before the rain/snow we had last night it was fishable. Looks very different now than it did in October.

Bugle M In
12-19-2021, 01:35 AM
The clay banks will never be gone. Sometimes the river runs right into them and sometimes the channel changes and stays away from them a bit. Right now the water is fairly dirty about 6”-10” of vis. Before the rain/snow we had last night it was fishable. Looks very different now than it did in October.
Thank you.
It certainly sounds like its a "hard reset" for everyone to now have to go back up and explore from scratch.
So I have heard.

backstrap
12-19-2021, 11:26 AM
It’s a good opportunity to learn how to read water better. Personally, I like fishing after a big change. Lots of water to figure out, not just the same old runs full of people. Kind of like hunting a new area.

Bugle M In
12-20-2021, 01:40 AM
It’s a good opportunity to learn how to read water better. Personally, I like fishing after a big change. Lots of water to figure out, not just the same old runs full of people. Kind of like hunting a new area.
Thanks for the input.
Kind of new to it, so I guess I am in good shape then:D

Sako 75
12-20-2021, 03:07 PM
I be pounding Vedder river around late Jan or early Feb. Looking forward in seeing new runs especially bottom end. Next year it will be 42 years for me fishing for steelhead in Vedder river. Amazing how times fly.

Bugle M In
12-20-2021, 10:32 PM
I be pounding Vedder river around late Jan or early Feb. Looking forward in seeing new runs especially bottom end. Next year it will be 42 years for me fishing for steelhead in Vedder river. Amazing how times fly.
Maybe I should keep that in mind.
Good on you.
I am sure you have witnessed plenty of changes.

Imdone
12-21-2021, 09:46 AM
It's started.
Looking forward to my walks chasing these elusive fish.
Also looking forward to the newly designed river, it will be a new design in many places.
Sharing the river with many well known faces for over 50 years.

adriaticum
12-21-2021, 10:20 AM
The weather has been shits for the Vedder.
Too much rain, I doubt the river is fishable on most days.
But it's good for fish moving in so it could be good fishing in Jan/Feb if rain dies down.

Bugle M In
12-22-2021, 12:32 AM
The weather has been shits for the Vedder.
Too much rain, I doubt the river is fishable on most days.
But it's good for fish moving in so it could be good fishing in Jan/Feb if rain dies down.

Your probably right.
Me thinks me getting a new reel for xmas.
Well, I dont think, I know.
Looking forward to trying it out.

ACB
12-28-2021, 12:25 PM
Boxing Day Steelhead Derby was cancelled to be rerun on Jan. 16th. IT's too cold out there now anyway, It seems -8c is the low limit for me and some friends. Everything freezes up, rod guides, bait, level wind reels freezes at line guide and floats (they get so iced up that they don't float anymore). Not to mention if there is any wind.

Bugle M In
12-28-2021, 04:47 PM
Hear from the Pacific Angler Report that some SH are being caught.
But yes, to cold for me to enjoy fishing right now.
Although fishing with snow on the ground is mesmerizing, just like hunting in the same conditions.
But, there is a point when temps get too low for a guy like me.
Used to be a time, but not anymore.