PDA

View Full Version : Drone footage of Bull Moose

rose
12-18-2021, 01:27 PM
Well, that's the season for us. We wrapped it up with some amazing footage of a few bull moose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAMDJntPvjs&t=3s

Regarding the drone footage:

It was taken after the hunting season. Obviously drones give too much much advantage to hunters and I support their prohibited use for hunting.
In this particular situation I slowly approached the moose from directly above. They seemed to notice the sound at ~50' but were not concerned. At around ~20 feet they chose to move off. I don't think I worried them any more (and probably less) than if I had walked towards them and filmed from the ground. Regardless, this type of encroachment could be a concern for more sensitive wildlife like goats and sheep.
As a film-maker, I would love to get drone footage of a hunt. To do this legally, the drone operator would not hunt and would not share any information with the hunters. It would be awesome to share the video with the hunters after the hunt and answer that ever-present question "where are the animals"

What do you all think?

westcoaster
12-18-2021, 01:36 PM
I think you best ask a CO what they think.
Regardless, a drone in the air during hunting season WILL receive a complaint from someone if they are near enough to see/hear it.

Bugle M In
12-18-2021, 01:46 PM
Drones have allowed for some fantastic shots in film making.
It adds a whole new dimension as well as some insight, especially for Bio's, imo, and viewers.

I don't think however they should be used during a hunt, regardless of the conditions.
Yes, it is possible that some would use them in the ethical intent you propose, but there will be others that will say they are
following those guidelines, but in actuality aren't.

Then there is also the argument to be made that too many people would use them, even in the off season, thru winter and thus
"stressing out" the creatures being filmed.
Again, its one of those discussions/debates where some folks would be using them appropriately while others would use
the technology improperly of for illegal activity.

So, the real question is:
Is it worth it?
What are the benefits, vs what are the costs??
Cost being, "what price do the animals pay" for a drones use?

FYI, Really enjoy you families videos!

180grainer
12-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the footage. Interesting to see the moose interacting with each other.

srupp
12-18-2021, 05:08 PM
another fantastic video...well done and thank you
appreciate you..your family and efforts to bring us along
steven

Islandeer
12-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Beautiful to watch, well done.

I am not a fan of drone footage of animals, as it feeds the Instagram circus of dopamine fueled instant gratification.

Yes, I’m old school, you want to see the raw beauty?
Then get out there and earn it.

dino
12-18-2021, 05:40 PM
Awsome!
I say do what you want.
The CO's are probably more concerned with your vax status.

Sitkaspruce
12-18-2021, 07:23 PM
Thanks for posting Rose!

Some places allow them

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/whitetail-deer/video-bowhunters-use-drone-legally-to-recover-giant-buck

Cheers

SS

mike31154
12-18-2021, 08:28 PM
I was in a tree stand during deer hunting season this fall when a drone came flying in. It had something hanging below it so I reckon it was research or something of that nature. Also saw a helicopter with a very long boom sticking out front of it. Don't recall if the same day, but certainly the same area at a favourite alpine lake I like to frequent. Either way, both were more or less messing with the ambience of my hunt if you get my drift. Not something I would take along into the back woods whether hunting season or not.

tdot
12-18-2021, 08:40 PM
I had some jackass buzz me with a drone during the last portion of my sheep packout when the horns were exposed. He was standing at a pullout and watching. I'm sure it would make for some interesting footage. But after a week in the field, I did not appreciate it. I was in a meadow at the time and on the way in, the flowers were buzzing with bees, my first thought when I heard the drone was a swarm of bees was chasing after me. Made for a pretty big adrenaline rush.

He flew the drone towards the direction of the kill site, a days hike away, but he covered it in 5 minutes. He might not have been actively hunting, but he could have been gaining knowledge of animals in the area.

Personally I don't think drones have any place during hunting season. Even if you're passing along information after the hunt, that information can be used to expose bedding areas, licks, watering holes, etc. That information could absolutely be used in later years to give an unfair advantage. Even just confirming game is in the area could skew future results.

john-brennan
12-18-2021, 09:17 PM
That was cool footage