PDA

View Full Version : Mock scrapes

ghost
12-10-2021, 01:29 PM
This September I set up two mock scrapes in an area that whitetails where present,I would refresh them about every 3 or 4 weeks. When I went to refresh them they didn’t seem to be touched. However in late October I noticed three different rubs in the same area as the scrapes. I ended up shooting a small buck,would a small buck come to the scrapes but not use them,I have the buck I shot on trail cameras. This whitetail hunting is new to me so any experts out there could share there knowledge on the subject would be appreciated

Harvest the Land
12-10-2021, 02:06 PM
By no means am I an expert, but I have tried using mock scrapes and have researched this subject quite extensively. IMO yes a small buck would absolutely come to the mock scrapes and not use them. Do you have any cameras setup so they can see the mock scrapes? And most importantly, do you have the mock scrapes set up under a licking branch? From my experience, a good licking branch with some forehead gland scent on it (I've found Buck Fever to be the best brand) works like magic. I would say the licking branch is the most crucial part of setting up effective mock scrapes

ghost
12-10-2021, 02:12 PM
i did use a licking branch not quite like a have seen in videos,more of a small branch that leaned over a trail.my cameras were a short distance away , didnt move them, plan on getting more cameras .i used black widow branch butter for the licking branch.

Harvest the Land
12-10-2021, 02:23 PM
Ok good work on the licking branch - its crucial. If you can, I would try and pickup some Buck Fever forehead gland scent - it works far better than anything else I've tried. Also, subscribe to this guy's Youtube page - Troy Pottenger. He's out of Idaho and he almost exclusively hunts whitetails over mock scrapes in the mountains and has been doing it for over 30 years. Don't know of anyone else who's got hunting western Whitetails over scrapes more dialed in than this guy. He's a true big buck serial killer. Also, he's been on a number of podcasts and I'd highly recommend giving them a listen. Once I started following his procedures, the number of deer who visited my scrapes went up exponentially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xXggGStKRI

Harvest the Land
12-10-2021, 02:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epp8-_7O_uk

ghost
12-10-2021, 02:40 PM
i have watched a few of his videos ,very good