PDA

View Full Version : New to Okanagan, interested in pheasants

russm
12-10-2021, 07:34 AM
The wife and I have finally completed our move to the Okanagan (vernon) and since we've been in our place we've been visited by the local wildlife every day. What keeps showing up that I didn't expect was pheasants, wondering if anyone that hurts them could give some pointers (the backyard is out of the question unfortunately) or if anyone would like to take a guy out some time that'd be awesome too.

igojuone
12-10-2021, 08:55 AM
Wish I could help you out but the only thing I know is I believe they like the tall grassy areas. Old orchardist told me they use to hunt peasants in the orchard before they started cutting the grass down like they do now.

imack91
12-10-2021, 09:16 AM
I've heard that they are around the area for sure - I'm yet to find that magic combination of Crown land and good habitat to hunt them though. I will be putting in some time this spring to explore more around the Vernon area (I'm just in Kamloops) to see what I can find! Feel free to drop me a line if you like, maybe we can put our heads together!

Dannybuoy
12-10-2021, 09:36 AM
Not alot of pheasants on crown land in the area . Anywhere where there may be a few is private & no shooting like Coldstream . Armstrong is your best bet , they love the grain / corn fields . Knock on some doors ! Been away from the area for 5 years but I used to be able to get permission on a few , helped a member here get his dog some workouts .

russm
12-10-2021, 10:44 AM
I've heard that they are around the area for sure - I'm yet to find that magic combination of Crown land and good habitat to hunt them though. I will be putting in some time this spring to explore more around the Vernon area (I'm just in Kamloops) to see what I can find! Feel free to drop me a line if you like, maybe we can put our heads together!

Yea we're in vernon,had 3 in the backyard rhe other day,wouldn't hurt to get to know someone up there,feel free to shoot me a message

358mag
12-10-2021, 12:19 PM
Check with the farmers around Armstrong and Enderby . Lots of pheasants in that area but getting permission is a little tough .

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
12-10-2021, 05:47 PM
3' of 5" stove pipe. Couple wires in one end. Trail of grain going into the open end. They wont back out (so I have been told)---Armstrong area.

Redthies
12-10-2021, 06:56 PM
Yea we're in vernon,had 3 in the backyard rhe other day,wouldn't hurt to get to know someone up there,feel free to shoot me a message

I have some Weimaraners that could help you with that problem...

Steelpulse
12-11-2021, 11:28 AM
There is plenty of land to hunt in the okanagan where there are pheasants, quail, chukars and huns. Finding them in good numbers anywhere is not gonna happen unless you have private land, Which is very possible to get im sure.
they are around you need to start hiking a lot and that will be the fun part. Exploring urban/wild boundary lines. Follow the property lines

mike31154
12-12-2021, 10:37 PM
Took these photos 2012. Haven't seen any in the yard or locally on private or crown land since. Don't think I'd get serious about hunting them without a well trained hound.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m2MOqYYChTSCpX4EeNgEFyXzeAIbVQDaYSrNhknfbWM99FJA 99I9v3n7NNe0v_-wMvFqEzpKHtd4a91tKNeMM6kldYO5jPulE21uUL24lJFsfzDuU 6RusPVXXuDTqcF78dlvupMLSZnzYKp02qw6B9YM5yXkUL-gfygp2tQNI9nRbPX7XQlRaF7ig-sLNzeEh?width=1024&height=795&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m0jG-aMOMI-xKQLV8Z6DkBo4AgauCqA_I4m8IGQm21iLjHEZ-5Ca9rATQ8kfqbq6CsxywXTPVjxrLMJBZvRq2fuJQLCpdzGB3_z h6FYdTZSv4J4sFYq8z0SE6WTB80XUaj2bRztqK1a_vNwGxXHdx xR3tPQsurEp5NfoxhUicpepaAw0Gr6OGzOPUs4UPnsQc?width =1024&height=877&cropmode=none

604Stalker
12-12-2021, 11:06 PM
Ive only seen 3 in my whole time hunting and they all spotted me and took off loooonnng before I could havr got one unless I was about to try with my win mag they exist but few and far between

Planer99
12-13-2021, 04:41 PM
There are lots of pheasents and quail around vernon/ armstrong. I have one honey hole around vernon that is not private that I keep under wraps and a couple farms past armstong that I hunt. Go for a drive out otter lake rd or salmon river rd and knock on some doors, no shortage of birds especially if there is swampy cattail areas around corn fields.

Redthies
12-13-2021, 06:02 PM
There are lots of pheasents and quail around vernon/ armstrong. I have one honey hole around vernon that is not private that I keep under wraps and a couple farms past armstong that I hunt. Go for a drive out otter lake rd or salmon river rd and knock on some doors, no shortage of birds especially if there is swampy cattail areas around corn fields.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh...

russm
12-14-2021, 09:21 PM
Took these photos 2012. Haven't seen any in the yard or locally on private or crown land since. Don't think I'd get serious about hunting them without a well trained hound.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m2MOqYYChTSCpX4EeNgEFyXzeAIbVQDaYSrNhknfbWM99FJA 99I9v3n7NNe0v_-wMvFqEzpKHtd4a91tKNeMM6kldYO5jPulE21uUL24lJFsfzDuU 6RusPVXXuDTqcF78dlvupMLSZnzYKp02qw6B9YM5yXkUL-gfygp2tQNI9nRbPX7XQlRaF7ig-sLNzeEh?width=1024&height=795&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m0jG-aMOMI-xKQLV8Z6DkBo4AgauCqA_I4m8IGQm21iLjHEZ-5Ca9rATQ8kfqbq6CsxywXTPVjxrLMJBZvRq2fuJQLCpdzGB3_z h6FYdTZSv4J4sFYq8z0SE6WTB80XUaj2bRztqK1a_vNwGxXHdx xR3tPQsurEp5NfoxhUicpepaAw0Gr6OGzOPUs4UPnsQc?width =1024&height=877&cropmode=none

I was on the coast for work for the last week,the wife was sending me pics of them every other day in our backyard, I took a look at the hill behind us today when I got home and spotted 2 through the binoculars.

Planer99
12-14-2021, 10:04 PM
Oh ya...they breed like rats once they get going.

bigredchev
12-14-2021, 10:34 PM
I’ll get some pictures tommorow, I see so many they are like pigeons around here.

russm
12-15-2021, 10:21 AM
I’ll get some pictures tommorow, I see so many they are like pigeons around here.

Lol feel free to elaborate on "around here"

imack91
12-15-2021, 11:02 AM
Hi all! I'm really enjoying this thread on Pheasants, when I joined HBC this is the kind of thread I was looking for! Like I mentioned I am up in Kamloops and almost exclusively hunt upland birds. I have a springer/setter cross pup that covers a lot of ground and finds birds everywhere we go. I will be putting in some time this spring to check out the surrounding farm land, roads mentioned above and of course all the crown land I can find. If anyone wants to swap info or get the dogs together for training, exploring, etc. feel free to drop me a line! I'll add in that the other area I've seen Pheasants and had some luck with hunting the private/public boundaries is down in the Kootenays, around North Forks and over near Creston.

britman101
12-15-2021, 12:28 PM
What I would do first if I were you is to check in with the City of Vernon as to the bylaws with regard to the discharge of firearms within the municipality of Vernon. I think you will be shocked to see how far out you have to travel before you can use a shotgun in that area. Then once you have picked out some areas as possible hunting spots take a drive out between April and May. During daylight hours you will be able to hear the male pheasants as they crow away. Use the crow counts to figure out how many birds there basically are in that area. If you hear nothing, that tells you there are no birds there unfortunately. If it were me, I would hit the lower elevation crown land/logging roads looking for grouse. I have friends out in that area still and last year was one of the best grouse hunting years ever.

imack91
12-15-2021, 04:00 PM
Britman101, thanks for the tips, yes those municipal boundaries can be quite large. I really appreciate the tips on listening for crowing, I wouldn't have thought of that. Chasing ruffed, spruce, and blue grouse around Kamloops is all we do in the Fall, love hunting those ditch chickens, we had an action packed season.

Planer99
12-15-2021, 10:41 PM
These 'boundary' areas that you can't shoot in can be great places to run your dog on birds still for training purposes.

Pinewood
12-17-2021, 09:37 PM
I'd take a walk up behind Coldstream estates toward Becker lake. I've seen lots of pheasants round there.

ACB
12-17-2021, 10:06 PM
Britman101, thanks for the tips, yes those municipal boundaries can be quite large. I really appreciate the tips on listening for crowing, I wouldn't have thought of that. Chasing ruffed, spruce, and blue grouse around Kamloops is all we do in the Fall, love hunting those ditch chickens, we had an action packed season.
Grouse aren't anything like a wild Pheasant, a Pheasant can run 22 miles/hour, supposedly, and sometimes they're just as happy to run away from you as fly. With an inexperienced dog you'll have you hand's full, but it'll be fun. Pheasants are my favourite upland birds to hunt, they'll either make or break an inexperienced dog and hunter. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on. LOL

Dannybuoy
12-17-2021, 10:44 PM
I'd take a walk up behind Coldstream estates toward Becker lake. I've seen lots of pheasants round there.
all private property you would be ok walking but no firearms. Also all of Coldstream is no discharge of firearms

Redthies
12-18-2021, 11:29 AM
I really appreciate the tips on listening for crowing, I wouldn't have thought of that. Chasing ruffed, spruce, and blue grouse around Kamloops is all we do in the Fall, love hunting those ditch chickens, we had an action packed season.

Yes, this year was by far the best ruffed grouse year I’ve seen. I got my second Weimaramer in Late June and she performed amazingly well for a young dog. Being taught by a ten year old veteran didn’t hurt.

Bugle M In
12-18-2021, 02:02 PM
Glad to hear there are some areas still with pheasant.
Grew up in Tsawwassen/Boundary Bay, and I used to see them all the time.
Pretty much all gone now for the most part.

Always wanted to partake in that hunt.
Good luck out there!