PDA

View Full Version : Pack recommendation

Scobo
11-14-2007, 08:57 AM
I need to get a new pack and need help. I don't get out much these days but when i do i like to get away from roads and people. i go on an alpine hunt Sept 1st for 3 days only and have to pack in the gear it takes me to survive for that time. then throughout the year i go on day hikes. In this case I need the pack to be able to handle getting out whatever, if anything, i shoot off the beaten path. Do you guys have any good recommendations for me. I want to keep it under $150 but am always open to opinions and good advise.

This is one i was considering:
High Sierra Sports, waterproof, internal frame
3840cu.in., 30"x16"x8", 4lbs, 10oz.
whisper cloth fabric

pupper
11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
the pack you are considering has the capacity to give you a 3-5 day hunt.
I personally use a wilderness wonder style pack but I have seen and liked the eberlestock firefly or the badlands 4500 pack. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon&rid=&indexId=cat20770&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=0&parentType=index&parentId=cat20770&id=0046765

I use 2 packs, an external frame for 2 day + alpine hunts and I use a badlands 2200 as a day pack. you can read my review on the badlands pack here:http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/viewarticle/14/22

Islandeer
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
check out the Alaskan outfitters stuff from cabellas. Love mine.

Clam
11-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I have been trying out a Tatonka Lastenkraxe. Yes, that is it's name!:eek:
It is a tubular aluminum external frame with a 70 liter bag attached. So far I have only gone up to about 30 lbs but it looks promising. I am recovering from a spine injury and have to go easy on weights for now. This pack is lighter than one would think and is very sturdy.

Some folk will denigrate external frame packs as "unwieldy", "clumsy" or "old fashioned". It is true that internal frame packs are in vogue but a decent external frame should not be too cavalierly dismissed. People have opined that externals will "throw you off balance". I have used internal frames as well and I don't think this Lastenkraxe causes me to be unbalanced any more than the internal. Perhaps these critics refer to the cheapo external frame models that can give unfortunate results.

I had a Trapper Nelson packboard when I was a teenager. Uncomfortable.

Now, if I could just figure out exactly what Lastenkraxe means...

Walksalot
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Somebody must make a pack which will have straps conducive to shooting a rifle with the pack on. I don't know how others hunt but I have a pack with survival stuff plus odds and sods to make hunting in the woods a bit easier. Very seldom have I had the opportunity to remove the pack and shoot an animal. Usually I am in such a close proximity that if I was to start shedding my pack I might as well beat a base drum.
I have worn my Trapper Nelson pack board out packing numerous quarters of elk. It is the smallest of the Trapper Nelson line(#1 or #3 I forget how the number rating goes) but boy it was the cat's pajamas. Small and strong with straps I replaces with wide canvas straps. I could throw a rifle up with no problem at all. I have tried numerous times to fix it but to no avail. It is time to retire the veteran and move on to more advanced technology. The million dollar question is, but what?

pupper
11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
the eberlestock has the rifle scabbord.

bighornbob
11-14-2007, 05:58 PM
The eberlestock also has thin straps so you can shoot with it on. The guy that makes them used to be a biathalon skiier. Check them out.

BHB

Scobo
11-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Great info guys! I got more info then I bargained for and am still reading. Thanks again!

boxhitch
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Take a look at hundreds of guys in the field, and you'll see the Camp Trails pack frame with various bags., IT works.

horshur
11-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Walks--that thick strap is just a recoil pad.

Walksalot
11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Walks--that thick strap is just a recoil pad.

A recoil pad is affixed to the rifle.;) In actuality that thick strap holds the pack on to your back.

BCLongshot
11-18-2007, 08:06 PM
TimberHawk