PDA

View Full Version : Double-almost-Triple-Header Morning!

BCBairdo
11-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Went up for my yearly Okanagan hunt with my buddy Peter for Muley and Whitetails. This year I was up there for last two days of Muley and then we hunted WT after that. This is one of my favourite hunts of the year because Peter is a deer-huntaholic and he loves to do it right....hike the timber and call them in...I have sure learned a lot from him over the years.

First morning saw several Muley does then jumped a large 3-point, can't believe a buck can be that wide without being a 4-point. Just goes to show you have to make sure before you pull the trigger. Then did a setup (put out scent) with some raking and can calling...within 20 min. a small 4-point came into me at 20 yards....not what I was looking for so I bid him adieu. Saw one other young 4-point that day but with the freezer full I wanted to hold out for Mr. Big.

Next morning found us in a torential downpour in the fog. The fog was so thick that we actually pulled the plug on our spot up in the mountain and headed down the mountain to an area that we could see a little better. We were just about to park the truck when we jumped a couple of Muley's when all of a sudden a big 4-point appeared. I was riding in the back so John hopped out and I followed with the binos. I made sure it was a 4-point but unfortunately John couldn't see it from where he was standing and the buck took off and disappeared over the ridge. I then ran back to the truck grabed my gun and sprinted down the road a couple hundred yards and then through the draw and over the ridge to see if he was still there. When I popped over the ridge it was deer pandamonium! There was at least 20 does running every which way through the trees including 2-points and 3-points and then there he was.....MR. BIG...bounding through the trees and over the next ridge. I dropped to my knees and hit the can call and lo and behold he turns (it was very thick bush) and starts working his way back up the ridge. He stopped at about 150 yards away and looked straight up towards me....I put the cross-hairs on his neck (I could only see his head but he was facing straight on and his rack was at least 4" past his ears on each side....oh my GOD)...my heart was pumping like crazy and finally he turned his head and I confirmed 1-2-3-4 points....and in the half a second it would have taken me to pull the trigger he bolted out of the only shooting lane I had and back into the thick timber and gone. I went down to the next ridge and couldn't see him anywhere so started to work my way back to the truck when all of a sudden....BOOM...a shot goes off about 150 yards further down the ridge from me. I headed back to the road to find that the truck was gone??? Where did they go? Then I look back down the road the other way and there is another buck on the road...holy crap it is another 4-point...it sees me and bolts down through the draw and over the ridge. I then hear a second shot go over only about 200 yards away (finishing shot I thought). I headed down the road to where the buck went in and saw John waving at me? He had shot at the first big buck we saw out of the truck and wanted some help looking for it. It turns out the other 4-point ran right by him that I had seen on the road but he never really saw it very well. I asked him if he had finished his deer off with a second shot and he said no....he thought it might have been Peter shooting. Peter then came and found us to report he shot a huge buck and it dropped in his tracks!!! We then started looking for John's buck but no blood? but we know John is a crack shot so the deer must be somewhere....we split up and start doing some grid searches along with a good bit of Praying and about 30 min. later Peter found the buck dead in a draw about 140 yards from where John shot.

This was the second double header we have had hunting together in three years and it was almost a triple header! There must have been some really hot does in the area and all the big bucks came in for some action......finally we were in the Right Place at the Right Time!!!!!

Here are the pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/BCBairdo/PeachlandBigBuckHunt2007020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/BCBairdo/PeachlandBigBuckHunt2007023.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/BCBairdo/PeachlandBigBuckHunt2007024.jpg

pmj
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Really great doubld header bucks. Congratulations. Good work!

TIKA 300
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
HOLY MULIE POOP,NICE BUCKS :eek:

Shooter
11-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Wow sounds like some really exciting few minutes. The kind of times that keeps as all coming back for more. Those are a couple of awesome bucks. Amazing how many nice bucks you found all in the same place. good on you for a fine hunt and some great deer.

Chuck
11-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Wow! That's just like it used to be many years ago in the W Kootenays.
Six guys go out in the panel, all cramped up and sweaty and come back three hours later - each with a big buck. Well done. Nice memory.

cbearw
11-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Yep.........those are two very fine mulies!! Well done. Memories to last a lifetime for sure. Great read. Thanks for posting.:-)

fozzy
11-14-2007, 02:25 AM
Nice Bucks!! Congrats :) That one has really nice long tines. Hopefully they spread around some of their genes as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Those are two Dandies, Ian!!! Three down and I would never have believed it!!:eek:
I think everything started moving after that torrential downpour.
Hopefully Mr Big will still be around for you next year!

SSS

hunter1947
11-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Them there bucks are really big ,nice score ,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

mark
11-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Awesome bucks and a great day of road hunting for you guys. I believe Ive already heard the story and seen your racks up at HW's shop.

zigman
11-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Wow,
Great job on the hogs. Seems that you have had another stellar season Ian.
How are the wife and kids?

Wildman
11-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Very nice!

Brambles
11-14-2007, 09:02 AM
wow , thats awesome, big bucks running all over the place, you definitly hit the breeding hot spot, hopefully I can find something similar this weekend, congrats to you and your friends

Sharkey
11-14-2007, 09:14 AM
WOW! How awesome is that!? Great looking pair. Is it common for bucks to hang out together during the rut? I thought they'd be fighting over the does right now.
~D

308BAR
11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Great catch guys! The one on the right has some really deep tines Congrats guys.

Phoneguy
11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Recognize the guy in the red shirt. We bumped into him at Darke Lake, like you said in the other post. Congrats on your excellent hunts!

James

Orangethunder
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Congrats!!

Those are some pretty nice bucks. Pretty good fortune to find those guys so close together!!

hunter11
11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Nice bucks. If I could only find one of those. All I've come across all year was fat does. Anyways congrats on the harvest.

WoodOx
11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
two solid bucks - congrats!

Je$u$ I really hope theres some bucks left next year! Seems like a slaughter like no other occured this past weekend in 8!!!

congrats!

steepNdeep
11-14-2007, 01:53 PM
NIIIICE!!! Awesome bucks! If you put in enough time and shoe leather, eventually you earn a gimme buck. As a bow hunter, I know you hunt hard and have put in your time - congrats!

How did you make out w/ the elk this year?

twoSevenO
11-14-2007, 02:10 PM
WOW!! those are some nice looking bucks. Very impressive, a big congrats to the hunters ... well done gentlemen.

lapadat
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Ian,

Congrats on some fine bucks - I bet your heart was pounding with all the action.

Matt

pupper
11-14-2007, 04:55 PM
good work Ian, Im guessing you scored them??? they look 160-170ish
am i right?

Justin

Nooker77
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
WTG!! Great bucks!!!

BCJunior
11-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Nice double header! congratz

R Brooks
11-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Very nice bucks:biggrin:

BlacktailStalker
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I'll be damned, how nice is that.
And no pack job !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tufferthandug
11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I'd tatoo that spot to my GPS! Talk about a ruttin honey hole!! Good job on the bucks.

BCBairdo
11-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Yep maybe next year or in the late bow season if I can get up there.

GPS is marked but as we all know where they are one year doesn't mean they will be in the exact same spot next year. Many of our good spots last year had no bucks this year and vice versa....like I said...right place right time.

Ian

1/2 slam
11-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Job well done:)

Caveman
11-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Nice pair of bucks guys, Good Job!!!