PDA

View Full Version : BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

dapesche
11-28-2021, 10:38 AM
Curious to have the opinions from the experienced sheep hunters.

When hunting with a partner, what camp set up have you preferred and why?

Danny_29
11-28-2021, 11:33 AM
2 person bomb proof. Make a budget...then double it and you're right where you need to be. Learned this lesson the hard way. Ran a 2 person MSR for 4 years on sheep hunts with no issues until this last year when it got absolutely shredded in a wind storm. Winter purchase is going to be the toughest tent I can find, leaning towards a hilleberg so far.

jac
11-28-2021, 11:44 AM
I like hilleberg or seek outside. If you are going to be 2 guys in 1 tent get a 3 man tent forsure

seek outside cimarron
hilleberg nallo or anjan gt

porthunter
11-28-2021, 11:51 AM
I own a 1 man Hille for the reason I thought I didn't like being crowded in a 2 man tent with a buddy.. but after using the Hilleberg Anjan GT with some buddies this year, I'm leaning towards selling the Akto and picking up one.

That tent has tons of room and is super comfortable for 2 guys.

dapesche
11-28-2021, 12:31 PM
2 person bomb proof. Make a budget...then double it and you're right where you need to be. Learned this lesson the hard way. Ran a 2 person MSR for 4 years on sheep hunts with no issues until this last year when it got absolutely shredded in a wind storm. Winter purchase is going to be the toughest tent I can find, leaning towards a hilleberg so far.

Danny, were you sharing a tent with your partner? or are you just saying to get a two man tent for one person?

dapesche
11-28-2021, 12:33 PM
I like hilleberg or seek outside. If you are going to be 2 guys in 1 tent get a 3 man tent forsure

seek outside cimarron
hilleberg nallo or anjan gt

I have a Cimarron Light that I use for elk and Bear hunting but I have reached out to a few pros that really believe in a smaller, lighter weight but bomb proof floored shelter.

Have you gone North with a floorless shelter and regretted it?

dapesche
11-28-2021, 12:36 PM
I own a 1 man Hille for the reason I thought I didn't like being crowded in a 2 man tent with a buddy.. but after using the Hilleberg Anjan GT with some buddies this year, I'm leaning towards selling the Akto and picking up one.

That tent has tons of room and is super comfortable for 2 guys.

The hilleberg definitely seems well regarded. Not cheap but I am ok to buy once and cry once.

I have a big agnes copper spur ul2 that I bought in the fall but haven't used as I intended to use it for a sheep hunt that didn't happen. Watching some videos on youtube and early snowfalls make me think I may need something a little more burly so that my tent doesn't fail on me.

As nice as the cimarron is, it's tall and I feel that that northern wind whipping it around all night might be a miserable experience vs. a shorter and tougher free standing tent.

Danny_29
11-28-2021, 12:37 PM
Danny, were you sharing a tent with your partner? or are you just saying to get a two man tent for one person?

I share with another guy. I'd much prefer that than being in individual tents...I also have a floorless Cimarron. I like it but would never take it on sheep hunt, you're really limited on where you can safely set it up.

dapesche
11-28-2021, 12:38 PM
perfect. thanks danny!

Danny_29
11-28-2021, 12:43 PM
No problem, just trying to help a fella dodge a hard lesson learned haha

AllDay
11-28-2021, 01:21 PM
NMO (Nolan from JOMH) has a black label 1 man hilly tent (the Soulo) and spends a ton of time out there guiding for sheep and hunting winter goats. MSR hubba hubbas work....until they don't lol. NMO told me its hard to beat the "Nallo GT 2". He also told me if he had his money back he would go with the red label because they are still very strong and hold weight. Now just to save some pennies....

Rackmastr
11-28-2021, 01:23 PM
I like my own tent on most trips. I have a smaller 2p tent with double vestibules thats perfect for me.

AllDay
11-28-2021, 01:23 PM
And like what Danny said, if you have a 2 man tent with a vestibule, the weight savings are hard to beat. heading up there with 60-80 lbs of gear, saving 3-6 lbs is a lot.... especially when water is short and you need all the space/weight you can get to lug up 10-14 litres from down low.

jac
11-28-2021, 01:30 PM
I have used a cheaper floorless before on sheep hunt. Lots of floorless shelters are used in Alaska on dall
sheep hunt.

KodiakHntr
11-28-2021, 02:37 PM
I’ve run a Cimarron the last three years hunting sheep, both with and without a partner. Absolutely sheds wind better than a dome style aluminum pole tent like a MSR Hubba Hubba. Staked down properly they are pretty solid shelters. Had 80kph winds the one day, no sweat with the Cimarron.
Had 80kph winds with the Hubba Hubba and it got squashed flat in the night.

Only aspect I may change up with the Cimarron is taking a small mesh bivy in case bugs get really bad and its hot (that was a problem a couple nights this year).

As to set up options, floorless has WAY more places when you start thinking outside the box. Year before last we kicked out a couple of “level” spots to sleep on and set up on a 30% slope, over top of bushes. Wouldn’t have been able to do that with a conventional tent.

porthunter
11-28-2021, 03:03 PM
The hilleberg definitely seems well regarded. Not cheap but I am ok to buy once and cry once.

I have a big agnes copper spur ul2 that I bought in the fall but haven't used as I intended to use it for a sheep hunt that didn't happen. Watching some videos on youtube and early snowfalls make me think I may need something a little more burly so that my tent doesn't fail on me.

As nice as the cimarron is, it's tall and I feel that that northern wind whipping it around all night might be a miserable experience vs. a shorter and tougher free standing tent.

Most of the Hille tents; especially the lighter 2 man's aren't free standing. The tunnel design works really well though. The only time I've wished I had a free standing tent is in deep snow conditions/winter hunts.

NMO (Nolan from JOMH) has a black label 1 man hilly tent (the Soulo) and spends a ton of time out there guiding for sheep and hunting winter goats. MSR hubba hubbas work....until they don't lol. NMO told me its hard to beat the "Nallo GT 2". He also told me if he had his money back he would go with the red label because they are still very strong and hold weight. Now just to save some pennies....

That Soulo is pretty sweet, he was ranting and raving about it the whole time we were out a few weeks back. But like he said, hard to beat a red label. That Nallo 2 GT is the same weight as the Soulo, within $100, and going to serve you in all seasons of hunting here in BC plus has a giant vestibule that fits 2 guys gear with ample room to spare

Imdone
11-28-2021, 03:22 PM

I've done a lot of alpine hunting for deer, goats and sheep. Never taken tents, just tarps. That said, not to say you shouldn't, take tents.

It can become a seasonal thing, along with terrain, exposure in different environments.

Tents have come a long way , incredible materials now.

jac
11-28-2021, 05:28 PM
I run a borah bivy inside my cimarron. Really light weight quality unit and is hand made in a small shop in USA. Bug and water/condensation protection plus can be used stand alone in a jam.

when we got stuck in a 36 hour storm in small tent it was like going to jail. Cimarron you can have a buddy in there sit up make coffee play cards !!!

The hilleberg gt have lots of room also so you can move around a bit in bad weather.

Tunnel tents and teepees need to be staked to the ground but freestanding tents have a advantage in some spots.

Bustercluck
11-28-2021, 05:50 PM
I think it depends on who you’re going with and how comfortable you’re going to be sharing a space with that person. I don’t mind staying in my two man msr with my regular partner, but I’m glad I brought my own shelter this year with the backup partner. His hygiene standards were far lower than most. In his words “I like going full caveman when I’m out in the bush”. No toothbrush, baby wipes or deodorant.

Like Danny said. A bombproof freestanding tent is the safest bet, but the teepee is the most comfortable. If you’re staying below the treeline and hiking up every day than a teepee for sure. I’m not sure what msr tent Danny shredded, but Ive had my hubba in some pretty crazy wind and snow and it held up good.

twoSevenO
11-28-2021, 07:57 PM
I've done a lot of alpine hunting for deer, goats and sheep. Never taken tents, just tarps. That said, not to say you shouldn't, take tents.

It can become a seasonal thing, along with terrain, exposure in different environments.

Tents have come a long way , incredible materials now.

That's what I do nowdays as well, but I would never do that on a fly-in or more than a days hike away from "basecamp" aka truck/quad where I leave supplies for a more comfortable stay.

Tarps are great for high country September hunts, but if you're in deep and it starts to rain/snow for days..... you're done for.

I, too, am looking for a new tent and im thinking a 2 person from MSR or something like that.

mod7rem
11-28-2021, 10:01 PM
A true 2 man tent is very tight for two guys. My brother and I started out almost 20 years ago using a 3 season 2 man Sierra Design tent, but it was actually a little wider than a true two man. In 2008 we bought a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT and in 2009 a floorless tipi with titanium stove and we’ve used both lots.

The tipi/stove combo is a little lighter than the Nallo 3 GT, has plenty of room for two guys with gear, and heat if you’re in the right terrain. I have no problem with floorless but the footprint is big and a single wall comes with some condensation.

The Hilleberg has proven incredibly sturdy and I actually don’t trust anything less robust for a sheep hunt anymore. Mountain weather can be savage. I think for two guys, the Nallo 3 GT is well worth the extra 11 ounces over the Nallo 2 GT.

A tent comfortable enough for two guys on a long sheep hunt has to have enough room for two guys to sleep, dress, move around a little, and have enough vestibule space for two guys worth of gear. So the foot print is rather big and can be hard to find a spot that works without having to do a bunch of work. This can be a real problem when you’re exhausted and/or trying to set up in bad weather.

I know for some, sharing a tent is social and a big part of the experience. But any time I’ve used a solo tent, the small footprint has made it very easy to find a comfortable spot in all kinds of terrain. I also have a Hilleberg Akto and I am to the point now that I think two solo tents would be better.

Danny_29
11-29-2021, 06:53 AM
I think it depends on who you’re going with and how comfortable you’re going to be sharing a space with that person. I don’t mind staying in my two man msr with my regular partner, but I’m glad I brought my own shelter this year with the backup partner. His hygiene standards were far lower than most. In his words “I like going full caveman when I’m out in the bush”. No toothbrush, baby wipes or deodorant.

Like Danny said. A bombproof freestanding tent is the safest bet, but the teepee is the most comfortable. If you’re staying below the treeline and hiking up every day than a teepee for sure. I’m not sure what msr tent Danny shredded, but Ive had my hubba in some pretty crazy wind and snow and it held up good.

It was a brand new hubba... I've also had it in some crazy stuff without real issues...was feeling confident in it until we weren't haha

DStewart
11-29-2021, 07:57 AM
Picked up an Anjan 3GT for this season, and I have to say it has been one of the best purchases I have made. Not cheap, but worth every penny. It is only a yellow label, so the Nallo is the better option when snow is involved. Plenty of room for two, but light enough that I now take it when solo, and leave the Nemo 2person at home.

dapesche
11-29-2021, 09:43 AM
Awesome info. Thanks everyone.

dapesche
11-29-2021, 09:45 AM
A true 2 man tent is very tight for two guys. My brother and I started out almost 20 years ago using a 3 season 2 man Sierra Design tent, but it was actually a little wider than a true two man. In 2008 we bought a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT and in 2009 a floorless tipi with titanium stove and we’ve used both lots.

The tipi/stove combo is a little lighter than the Nallo 3 GT, has plenty of room for two guys with gear, and heat if you’re in the right terrain. I have no problem with floorless but the footprint is big and a single wall comes with some condensation.

The Hilleberg has proven incredibly sturdy and I actually don’t trust anything less robust for a sheep hunt anymore. Mountain weather can be savage. I think for two guys, the Nallo 3 GT is well worth the extra 11 ounces over the Nallo 2 GT.

A tent comfortable enough for two guys on a long sheep hunt has to have enough room for two guys to sleep, dress, move around a little, and have enough vestibule space for two guys worth of gear. So the foot print is rather big and can be hard to find a spot that works without having to do a bunch of work. This can be a real problem when you’re exhausted and/or trying to set up in bad weather.

I know for some, sharing a tent is social and a big part of the experience. But any time I’ve used a solo tent, the small footprint has made it very easy to find a comfortable spot in all kinds of terrain. I also have a Hilleberg Akto and I am to the point now that I think two solo tents would be better.

So if you were going to take either a tipi without stove (cimarron for me) or a 2/3 man tent for stone sheep in August, which one would you take?

Bustercluck
11-29-2021, 09:59 AM
So if you were going to take either a tipi without stove (cimarron for me) or a 2/3 man tent for stone sheep in August, which one would you take?
I’d probably take the cimarron. I have a 3man elixir, 2 man hubba and a cimarron. I bought the Cimarron this spring and haven’t used either msr since. You just have to understand that it doesn’t pitch everywhere. You can’t be wandering around as the suns going down looking for a place to pitch it. The Cimarron is definitely a colder sleep than a 3 season as well and your gear tends to get damp. If it’s raining heavy I’d rather be stuck in a tipi than a dome tent any day. The Cimarron literally sets up in less than 2 minutes if the ground is soft too. I bought a variety of different stakes for mine depending on where I am and some paracord for guying it out.

mod7rem
11-29-2021, 11:24 AM

For me I’m not too interested in my tipi without the stove. Heat is the big advantage of a tipi in my opinion. So it would be tipi with stove if I knew I was going to be camping lower, but if I’m possibly camping higher with more exposure then I want the Hilleberg. I don’t trust the tipi to withstand the beatings we’ve had in the Hilleberg.

Danny_29
11-29-2021, 11:29 AM
For me I’m not too interested in my tipi without the stove. Heat is the big advantage of a tipi in my opinion. So it would be tipi with stove if I knew I was going to be camping lower, but if I’m possibly camping higher with more exposure then I want the Hilleberg. I don’t trust the tipi to withstand the beatings we’ve had in the Hilleberg.

This is how I feel as well. They are both good to have and serve a purpose. Right tool for the job kinda thing.

mod7rem
11-29-2021, 02:55 PM

And just to add a little more, I’m thinking more and more that two solo tents for two people would be optimum. Hilleberg Akto is a 4 season tent, and at 3lbs 12oz X 2 of them vs 7lbs 1oz for a Nallo 3 GT, is an 8oz weight gain spread between to guys.

wideopenthrottle
11-29-2021, 03:02 PM
especially when in tight spots for spike camps it might be easier to find 2 single spots than 1 bigger spot...
And just to add a little more, I’m thinking more and more that two solo tents for two people would be optimum. Hilleberg Akto is a 4 season tent, and at 3lbs 12oz X 2 of them vs 7lbs 1oz for a Nallo 3 GT, is an 8oz weight gain spread between to guys.

mod7rem
11-29-2021, 03:24 PM
especially when in tight spots for spike camps it might be easier to find 2 single spots than 1 bigger spot...

Exactly. It can be a real pain to find a spot where two guys can sleep side by side and both be comfortable.

jac
11-29-2021, 04:34 PM
I find that the teepee is pretty flexible and able to set up on uneven ground.

Bustercluck
11-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Exactly. It can be a real pain to find a spot where two guys can sleep side by side and both be comfortable.
Especially when you’re on a hill and your partner wants to sleep foot to mouth.

blackbart
11-29-2021, 08:16 PM
If you stand to pee I am not too interested in sharing a tent with you.

300rum700
11-29-2021, 08:52 PM
There's only two reasons to pack two tents:

1- you don't REALLY like your hunting partner.
2- you can't go a week without cranking one out.

Both are legitimate reasons not to be frowned upon.

Lelantos
11-29-2021, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the stone glacier or the Kuiu tents?

Bugle M In
11-30-2021, 12:25 AM
I have hunted both ways.
Some have a point, depending where, it can be hard to find enough flat ground for 2 to lie.
Hell, it can be hard enough just for 1 to lie.
But most times, a 2 man is what was used.
Tip: Take a pack of earplugs just in case your partner has a snoring issue!
Nothing worse than a no sleep night to hunt on the next day.
Your partner will be all bright and chirpy.
You'll be resting your head into the bino, as the bino rest into the ground, with your eyes shut, after 5 minutes of spotting!!

SR80
11-30-2021, 06:51 AM
I dont mind sharing a tent as long as my partner is a none snorer. But generally i use a solo tent. Nice to have my own space. Not sure if its been mentioned but setups like a Cimarron, it can sometimes be hard to find a spot that has a foot print that is big enough to accommodate a tipi style tent.

whitlers
11-30-2021, 08:26 AM
There's only two reasons to pack two tents:

1- you don't REALLY like your hunting partner.
2- you can't go a week without cranking one out.

Both are legitimate reasons not to be frowned upon.

Hahahahahaha thanks for the laugh

dapesche
11-30-2021, 08:39 AM
I'm tempted to give it a go with the Cimarron and then make a choice after the hunt. I feel like I am splitting hairs at this point and if I have the Cim I might as well give it a go. If it sucks and I want to go sheep hunting again then maybe I'll go with a burly Hilleberg.

I have a big agnes copper spur 2ul that I am sure would be perfect in good weather, and somewhat poor weather. In complete shit weather I might go a little stir crazy if I am stuck in that thing....

tigrr
11-30-2021, 08:40 AM
Hygiene and snoring = two tents.

jac
11-30-2021, 09:40 AM
Do you have a bivy you use in the cimarron?

dapesche
11-30-2021, 10:01 AM
Do you have a bivy you use in the cimarron?

I do not. Do you consider important?

Typically I toss in a lighter weight 4 man tent footprint
With some paracord the 4 corners can attach to the staked out cimarron locations. Makes for a good floor to give my pad and clothes a dry spot to rest.

jac
11-30-2021, 10:55 AM
On my first stone hunt with a much smaller tipi we were caught in that huge aug storm in 2019. It rained so much which turned to snow and condensation was high. I have a borah bivy now it’s really light and will keep sleep system together and clean and more water protection. I have not got to try out the new bivy yet but I think it’s just more piece of mind

Bustercluck
11-30-2021, 11:06 AM
I'm tempted to give it a go with the Cimarron and then make a choice after the hunt. I feel like I am splitting hairs at this point and if I have the Cim I might as well give it a go. If it sucks and I want to go sheep hunting again then maybe I'll go with a burly Hilleberg.

I have a big agnes copper spur 2ul that I am sure would be perfect in good weather, and somewhat poor weather. In complete shit weather I might go a little stir crazy if I am stuck in that thing....
If you have a Cimarron than just take that, don’t buy anything new. How much have you used it before? You should have an idea of what it’s capable of.

KodiakHntr
11-30-2021, 12:04 PM
I run a borah bivy inside my cimarron. Really light weight quality unit and is hand made in a small shop in USA. Bug and water/condensation protection plus can be used stand alone in a jam.

One thing with a floorless shelter, having the shelter staked down close to the ground will result in a massive increase in condensation.
Having the top vent and zipper open and a good 4” of air flow under the sides will pretty much completely eliminate all condensation inside.

dapesche
11-30-2021, 12:09 PM
If you have a Cimarron than just take that, don’t buy anything new. How much have you used it before? You should have an idea of what it’s capable of.

I have used it for a couple seasons now.

Tenting in thick timber of the west koots looks a lot different than northern bc from what I can tell.
That's why I wanted to get some experienced Northern hunter's opinions on their experiences.

BrookTrout
12-04-2021, 11:16 PM
I have a Cimarron Light that I use for elk and Bear hunting but I have reached out to a few pros that really believe in a smaller, lighter weight but bomb proof floored shelter.

i did a early September goat hunt up the dease highway, took a seek outside tipi and camped up high and on second night snow/wind storm ripped my tipi, my partner and I had to quickly pack up at 4am and head to lower ground more protected. Camped under a tarp in a rock outcropping for 4 more nights in the wind and rain. I didn’t regret taking the floor less but gotta know the better places to use it. I used tyvek for a ground cloth and it worked fine! (Just so you know seek did warranty and replace my tipi, great service and warranty)

dapesche
12-05-2021, 07:23 AM
i did a early September goat hunt up the dease highway, took a seek outside tipi and camped up high and on second night snow/wind storm ripped my tipi, my partner and I had to quickly pack up at 4am and head to lower ground more protected. Camped under a tarp in a rock outcropping for 4 more nights in the wind and rain. I didn’t regret taking the floor less but gotta know the better places to use it. I used tyvek for a ground cloth and it worked fine! (Just so you know seek did warranty and replace my tipi, great service and warranty)

shit. That's good to know.
Where did the tipi start to fail? Did it start ripping at a vent or stove pipe?

BrookTrout
12-05-2021, 01:13 PM
shit. That's good to know.
Where did the tipi start to fail? Did it start ripping at a vent or stove pipe?

it had ripped about a third the way up, was hard to tell afterwards but looks like ripped at the vertical seam and then turned 90 degrees and across to the next seam. Nothing was touching in that area as it was about two feet up the wall. So don’t know how it happened but the wind was also blowing so bad I was sitting up holding the pole so it wouldn’t snap haha I’m not here to bash the tipi but just letting you know a better cover area would be best for em. I’ll use my new one on the mountain but out of the wind. I did have a lot of condensation the first two nights, but it rained from the moment we got on top and snowed the next day so we didn’t have any dry ground. That doesn’t help with condensation.

Springer
12-09-2021, 02:47 AM
1 Tent , Lite Outdoors Tipi.

338edgehunter
12-09-2021, 05:34 PM
Heck I run a msr carbon 3 man tent on solo hunts and with 2 people allows us to get gear out of the weather