PDA

View Full Version : Bucks and chainsaws

boonerbuck
11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Went out this afternoon. I'm really glad I had the chainsaw in the back. Pretty much every side road or trail had trees down. What a storm.

I cut and pasted this from PHC.

Took the first coyote of the season this afternoon and it has an interesting story to accomidate what should of been a boring routine story behind a road shot dog.

I was heading into a area where I was tipped off to some big bucks. I saw a yote running down the middle of the logging road so I pull over and follow him as he ducks into the woods and stop to look back. I drilled him square with the 270 Win and it's quickly over for him.

As I close the tailgate to my truck with a loud slam I look up to see a huge bodied mule deer crossing the trail 80 yards ahead. I step over the bank and track him in the scope til I have a small opening between the spruce. He is a mature 4x4 but not much a trophy. He's about 28" wide with alright mass but poor forks. Good enough for me this year because I can take another larger one in this region after the 20th.

I touch the shot off and he's gone. I walk over to the spot of impact and theres no blood. I walk farther down the bank following the game trail and in front of me is another nice buck, a 5x4 with a smaller body. He lets me get to within 30 yards because he knows I'm comited to finding my buck. This is the way it goes.:rolleyes:

45 minutes of tracking, circling and working a grid and nothing to show for it. No hair, blood or noise. All of a sudden there he is! He jumps out of his bed and runs 200 yards and freezes. No limping... I watch him through all the tangle and broad side where the exit would have been no blood. He walk a bit and I see a angle of the otherside with no blood. Mmmm....I get another look and I think i see blood in his mouth. I try and get in position for a shot but he bounds off and it's too thick. I continue to track but it turns up nothing. I'm nowhere 100% on the blood in his mouth but I have this sinking feeling I hit some spruce and he maybe got only a piece of bullet or drasticly reduced energy and penetration.

I took a look in his bed I *think* and there is no blood. He seemed to be in good shape after almost an hour so I don't know what to think. He's gone that's for sure. No big deal. I get ops often...just hate that unsure feeling.
http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/medium/11-13-07_1.jpg

Orangethunder
11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a decent day all in all, lots of deer action. That was one heck of wind storm. Trees down everywhere!!