PDA

View Full Version : Over and underrated gear

tylerduce
11-23-2021, 02:00 PM
What has been your most overrated and underrated piece of hunting gear/equipment?

Why was is a failure? Why did it excel? What did you learn?

warnniklz
11-23-2021, 02:04 PM
individual packs of Kleenex

Bubbacanuck
11-23-2021, 02:10 PM
Deer drag! Makes it easier when trying to get a deer into a better position or back to the truck...for $10 can't go wrong

Bustercluck
11-23-2021, 02:11 PM
Baby wipes.

Harvest the Land
11-23-2021, 02:15 PM
Most overrated - Scent Killer sprays (just play the thermals and wind right - no need for that shit)

Most underrated - a good neck warmer and heated long underwear (top and bottom) and heated socks. Can carry way less clothes now just have to turn battery on. You will hunt much more effectively if you're warm and comfortable

MichelD
11-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Most overrated - Scent Killer sprays (just play the thermals and wind right - no need for that shit)

Most underrated - a good neck warmer and heated long underwear (top and bottom) and heated socks. Can carry way less clothes now just have to turn battery on. You will hunt much more effectively if you're warm and comfortable

I've been wearing a folded bandana type handkerchief around my neck for years now. It is almost like wearing an extra sweater. Keeps me warm when cold and cools me off if I get overheated.

MichelD
11-23-2021, 02:36 PM
I don't know if they are over-rated or not, but something I have not perchased nor felt a need for was a rangefinder.

I have never once thought; "Damn, if only I had a rangefinder i could shoot that (enter a game animal here.)"

Now I am prepared to be flamed and respect people who have them and use them without question, but for me, there just has not been a need.

If I got more moose LEH permits and found myself looking at a moose way on the other side of a clear cut or meadow and was uncertain if it was 300 or 400 yards away, then yes, I suppose one could be useful, particulalry if I had plenty of time to use it.

But under normal circumstances, I usually shoot game at 70 or so yards, or at least the last half dozen deer and bear have been at that range, or less.

todbartell
11-23-2021, 02:55 PM
Great piece of gear I've been carrying for the last few years is the Thermarest Z-Seat. A 13x16"x0.75" thick cushion/glassing pad that weighs only 2 ounces. Sure nice to sit on

fuzzybiscuit
11-23-2021, 03:00 PM
Baby wipes.

Now we are talking! Absolutely indispensable…

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2021, 03:07 PM
under rated: rubber boots with liners...use em all the time
over rated : gut hook- I have one that I got as a gift...tried it a couple of times and hated it

tdot
11-23-2021, 03:25 PM
Under-rated - liner/compression socks. I typically use them religiously and they are not really noticed, a pain to put on, but otherwise easily ignored or forgotten about. But any time I actually do forget them I spend the trip bleeding, blistered and sore and spend every step thinking about those damn socks sitting at home in a drawer.

Over-rated - craft beer. There are too many of these things in the liquor store now. Most times I go into a liquor store and don't recognize the vast majority of the selection. I don't know how many times I've gotten back to the van, ready to enjoy a tasty beer after a hard hike and it turns out the craft beer I thought I'd try for the first time is some hipsters impression of what a beer should taste like. But really its just bad beer disguised as craft.

whitlers
11-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Underrated - Bino adapter for tripod. Glassing from a tripod is a game changer.

Overrated - Most hunting brand targeted clothing. I own some Sitka and Kuiu pieces and they are great items but you can get just as good quality in the hiking/mountaineering section of VP or stores alike.

adriaticum
11-23-2021, 03:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYDOl57gMQ4&ab_channel=BuffCanada

boxhitch
11-23-2021, 04:05 PM
Baby wipes.over rated , I agree
also agree om the craft beer, as it usually disappoints, maybe thats a sales feature, keep trying

Treed
11-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Underrated- Sunlight dish detergent on my optics, it keeps them fog free. Overrated - commercial fog free wipes. I missed an opportunity on a great 4 pt whitetail this year because of wipes not working.

Treed
11-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Under rated - Bino packs! What a game changer. I agree with the comment on bino adapters for tri-pods. Makes a huge difference.

Blacktail1
11-27-2021, 06:03 PM
Underrated … wool pants over rated expensive dog shit Sitka gear

Beachcomber
11-27-2021, 07:35 PM
Semi-auto shotguns for waterfowling. Pump-action every day.

lovemywinchester
11-27-2021, 08:06 PM
Under rated. Game carts. Wyoming saws. Good new wool socks. Primos trigger sticks and pics in threads

https://i.imgur.com/w9OdMS2l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iJpiBhdl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/39AEoNll.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KHdcMaBl.png

Over rated, plus 6 and rain at the end of November

RambleOn
11-27-2021, 09:21 PM
Covered bino harness. Just started using one this year. Keeps the binos clean and dry. Tuck a few extra goodies in if you like.

brian
11-27-2021, 10:21 PM
Underrated - melton wool, rope, a good sense of humour.
Overrated - rain pants

Bustercluck
11-27-2021, 10:37 PM
Overrated-Merino long underwear
underrated- merino socks

Greenthumbed
11-28-2021, 07:13 AM
Underrated- Foam pad for under your ass when sitting. I always have it with me.
Overrated- Flip caps

digger dogger
11-28-2021, 07:21 AM
Love my sil-tarp. Saved my ass a few times

MRP
11-28-2021, 08:11 AM
Underrated, my Bass pro camo umbrella, even when you have the best rain gear on the extra protection is well worth it.

Overrated, the weather forecast.

Bustercluck
11-28-2021, 09:43 AM
Underrated, my Bass pro camo umbrella, even when you have the best rain gear on the extra protection is well worth it.

Overrated, the weather forecast.

judging by that comment, I’m guessing you’re on the west coast of the island. I hardly ever wear rain gear since I left there. Lol

604ksmith
11-28-2021, 10:01 AM
Underrated: Kuiu Peleton 118 zip off base layers. Absolute game changer to not need to take off boots to add/remove base layer.
Overrated: 90% of hunting branded clothing. I've found great comfort and success moving to Mountain Hardwear and Arc’teryx.

mod7rem
11-29-2021, 03:48 PM
Underrated: Drugstore eye patch. Helps provide hours and hours of comfortable spotting scope viewing. Been using one for over a decade and forgot it on this years sheep hunt. A real pain in the forhead without it.

twoSevenO
11-29-2021, 03:59 PM
Underrated: air mattress. After years of using a thermarest, I finally put an Exped downmat on the wish list for my bday and my gf purchased it.
It is an absolute game changer. I used to wake up so stiff I couldn't reach down to tie my boots in the morning. Now, I have a MUCH MUCH better sleep in the backcountry. Well worth the $165+tax that it cost. A little paranoid of poking holes in it so I carry a sheet for under it, but so far so good.

marcus44
11-29-2021, 05:24 PM
Unrated - Butt-out tool and deer drag

Squire
11-29-2021, 05:26 PM
Two underrated items:
A bipod for longer shots.
A rangefinder for longer shots.

I’ve heard all the arguments for and against but it’s undeniable that they’ll both help you make better shots.

walks with deer
11-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Underrated … wool pants over rated expensive dog shit Sitka gear

Agreed 100 percent and i dont need camo just warm

walks with deer
11-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Underrated- Sunlight dish detergent on my optics, it keeps them fog free. Overrated - commercial fog free wipes. I missed an opportunity on a great 4 pt whitetail this year because of wipes not working.

Interesting.

Treed
12-01-2021, 11:15 PM
A clerk in a gun store in PG told me about it. It works well. Dab tiny bit on a wipe it off. I hate fogged optics!

dapesche
12-02-2021, 05:50 AM
Interesting thread to read. You can tell by the opinions the folks that hunt deer and moose out of a truck or from a quad.

xfactor
12-02-2021, 07:42 AM
under rated - tripod adapter for binos

over rated - any thing besides rubber claiming to be waterproof

sparkes3
12-02-2021, 07:57 PM
Sunlight dish liquid on your glasses as well as scopes.

Blockcaver
12-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Is Sunlight detergent over or under rated on optics?

SR80
12-03-2021, 09:50 AM
overrated - saying something is a gamechanger:shock:

madcalfe
12-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Underrated - melton wool, rope, a good sense of humour.
Overrated - rain pants

would have to disagree with the rain pants.

underrated- sil tarps, puffy jackets, wet fire starter, baby powder, gaitors, camp shoes, chair left at drop off lake along with canned food, super glue

over rated- dont take stuff that you dont need

Bustercluck
12-03-2021, 11:00 AM
Underrated- zip starters. Ultralight and burn for 15-20 minutes. Also super cheap.

Bustercluck
12-03-2021, 11:06 AM
Interesting thread to read. You can tell by the opinions the folks that hunt deer and moose out of a truck or from a quad.
Another underrated- emergen-c before bed.

AllDay
12-03-2021, 11:07 AM
Interesting hearing people calling sitka gear overrated... I can tell you that almost every person I have gone on a sheep hunt with has said the exact opposite. Sitting in ridiculous conditions and being reasonably comfortable, friends and I have looked at one another and said that the gear is worth every penny. Especially the synthetic stuff... You can use your gear to dry wet stuff by layering and putting a gortex jacket on to push all the water out and get dry through movement.

Bustercluck
12-03-2021, 11:21 AM
Interesting hearing people calling sitka gear overrated... I can tell you that almost every person I have gone on a sheep hunt with has said the exact opposite. Sitting in ridiculous conditions and being reasonably comfortable, friends and I have looked at one another and said that the gear is worth every penny. Especially the synthetic stuff... You can use your gear to dry wet stuff by layering and putting a gortex jacket on to push all the water out and get dry through movement.
I run the downpour jacket and it is by far the best rain jacket I’ve ever used other than being heavy. It started leaking last year and Sitka warrantied it for me. I’d like to get the dewpoint for stuffing in my backpack next year.

For pants I have a pair of grey arcteryx ultralight goretex pants that I only pull out in case of emergency. There’s no way I would’ve paid the asking price on them, but at half price it was reasonable but still expensive

AllDay
12-03-2021, 11:54 AM
I run the downpour jacket and it is by far the best rain jacket I’ve ever used other than being heavy. It started leaking last year and Sitka warrantied it for me. I’d like to get the dewpoint for stuffing in my backpack next year.

For pants I have a pair of grey arcteryx ultralight goretex pants that I only pull out in case of emergency. There’s no way I would’ve paid the asking price on them, but at half price it was reasonable but still expensive

Thats a good point. It helps that I got my gear at a reasonable price off camo fire on really good sales. Full price at a shop in Canada would make me cringe for sure.

hawk-i
12-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Underrated, would be rangefinder binocs...broke mine and until I got a replacement hunting just wasn't the same.

ghost
12-03-2021, 02:06 PM
ice grippers for boots.small and fit in back pack.dont like landing on ice with a loaded pack

blacksn95
12-04-2021, 05:19 PM
Underrated- Shooting stick