PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Partners for Mountain Hunting

tylerduce
11-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I am a relatively new hunter (started in 2014) and I want to make the transition into mountain hunting. I believe most things are better when you are surrounded by good people and friends. I am trying to gauge the interest level for a small group (3-5) of guys who would like to get into backcountry mountain hunting (bighorn sheep specifically, but open to all hunts).

Of course, lots of people "want to" but don't put in the time or effort to prepare. I'm looking for people who are...

1.) In good shape (or working towards it). I think it goes without saying this is the first requirement for mountain hunting. Plus, its not safe to put yourself or others at risk if you are a physical liability. You don't have to be an Olympian, but you should be able to hold your own.

2.) Mature. I know many hunters who I wouldn't want to hunt with. Bravado, recklessness, showboating, disregarding safety, and ego driven decisions don't tend to work out well in the long run. My safety is important too so I want to be with people I can trust.

3.) Building a proper kit. I don't expect people to have an entire $4000 kuiu set up, but certain equipment is necessary. I am slowly building my kit (good boots, backpack, rifle, layering system, glass, etc). Working towards building your kit shows some degree of dedication and progress towards your goals.

4.) Willing to put in time and effort to scout and hunt and suffer haha.

A bit about me. I am 31 and married with two kids. Most recently I've worked as a firefighter with BCWS. I am currently in my last year of university. I have a background in distance running and have recently started ultra-marathon running. I started weightlifting two years ago and love it. I wish I had started sooner. I enjoy learning learning about hunting, conservation, and the outdoors in general. I am located in Kamloops and am willing to travel to scout and hunt. I'm also at that point in my life where with my family and school I can't be as spontaneous as before. As such, I'm looking for people who can be responsible and reliable with their commitments.

Again, I am not a professional or seasoned expert. I am a young guy who is looking in good faith for other hunters who aspire to be the best they can be and are looking for a group to join. If you are interested feel free to shoot me a message.

Tyler

twoSevenO
11-23-2021, 12:36 PM
it's easier to find a wife than it is to find a reliable hunting partner.

bighornbob
11-23-2021, 01:03 PM
3.) Building a proper kit. I don't expect people to have an entire $4000 kuiu set up, but certain equipment is necessary. I am slowly building my kit (good boots, backpack, rifle, layering system, glass, etc). Working towards building your kit shows some degree of dedication and progress towards your goals.

Tyler

Too much emphasis now a days is placed on having the best gear as a prerequisite to hunting sheep. Look at what guys were wearing and using 20 years ago and guys killed stuff.

One thing that hinders a lot of guys now a days is the aspect of not killing a sheep for years. Will your wife still be on board with you spending thousands and being away and not coming home with anything for likely years. One good thing for you is you can do day trips for bighorns to lessen the time away from family.

Not looking for a partner but if you want to BS about sheep and bighorns Im in Kamloops. PM me.

BHB

tylerduce
11-23-2021, 01:08 PM

I have one reliable hunting partner. But I found the wife first so you are technically correct haha!

VLD43
11-23-2021, 01:09 PM
If your focus at present is Bighorns then start out hunting between Lytton and Spences Bridge. You are close by to that area and it will be a good place to start learning about sheep and spotting them. You can day hunt that area for starters or do weekends. As you progress you will quickly discover what gear is important and what gear is not. Hunting thinhorns for the most part requires more planning and prep as you will be further away from your home base and will probably be in the mountains for anywhere from one to three weeks. You sound like you are in good shape and have some experience in the mountains so the transition should be fairly easy for you. Probably your biggest challenge being married with kids, is going to be the time commitment required. I wouldn't go overboard on gear to start out with. Practice as much as you can shooting out to 500 yds at different angles and elevations. Ensure you have great optics, and learn to spot game at short and long distance. Also learn how to identify legal rams and areas they frequent. Read as much as you can about sheep behavior. Big rams usually hang out by themselves or with one or two others. Although the season is now closed , it would be a good time to get over to Spences and spot rams off the highway. They should be right in town or very close. Look at it as a bite of a preview of things to come Good luck.

tylerduce
11-23-2021, 01:23 PM
Too much emphasis now a days is placed on having the best gear as a prerequisite to hunting sheep. Look at what guys were wearing and using 20 years ago and guys killed stuff.

One thing that hinders a lot of guys now a days is the aspect of not killing a sheep for years. Will your wife still be on board with you spending thousands and being away and not coming home with anything for likely years. One good thing for you is you can do day trips for bighorns to lessen the time away from family.

Not looking for a partner but if you want to BS about sheep and bighorns Im in Kamloops. PM me.

BHB

Very true. I see pictures of guys 30 years ago hunting in jeans. I'm sure they would have been more comfortable in what most guys use today but it goes to show you that the gear isn't what makes the hunter.

Thanks for the offer, I'll send a PM.

tylerduce
11-23-2021, 01:27 PM
If your focus at present is Bighorns then start out hunting between Lytton and Spences Bridge. You are close by to that area and it will be a good place to start learning about sheep and spotting them. You can day hunt that area for starters or do weekends. As you progress you will quickly discover what gear is important and what gear is not. Hunting thinhorns for the most part requires more planning and prep as you will be further away from your home base and will probably be in the mountains for anywhere from one to three weeks. You sound like you are in good shape and have some experience in the mountains so the transition should be fairly easy for you. Probably your biggest challenge being married with kids, is going to be the time commitment required. I wouldn't go overboard on gear to start out with. Practice as much as you can shooting out to 500 yds at different angles and elevations. Ensure you have great optics, and learn to spot game at short and long distance. Good luck.

Thanks for the great advice VLD43. Bighorns are my current focus. I was actually fighting fire between Lytton and Spences Bridge this summer and ran into a lot of sheep up that way and made me want to go back.

Bugle M In
11-23-2021, 01:35 PM
I'll second that one!!

twoSevenO
11-23-2021, 02:13 PM

BHB

whoa, that sounds awfully close to trohpy hunting .... and we don't talk about that here!!

lol

Deer_Slayer
11-28-2021, 08:07 PM
Curious. If you hunt in BC it is pretty well all mountain hunting. Did you come from prairies?

tylerduce
11-30-2021, 05:52 PM
Yes, I started hunting in the prairies. I guess I specified mountain hunting to try and differentiate between road hunting cut blocks & lower elevation stuff near the valley bottoms compared to higher alpine stuff.

warnniklz
11-30-2021, 09:44 PM
Grrrrr and stupidity can get you further into the bush than throwing a kettle bell around all day... but that helps too

hickman
12-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Why would you hunt anywhere else than the mountains for as long as conditions permit and animals are in the alpine? I go with a reliable partner and solo. My pack is vintage, my rifle one of the cheapest you can get with a good scope. The most important thing is willpower, perseverance and some fitness. I am in my 50's and will go up high for as long as I can. Common sense and backcountry experience is essential to stay safe though.... I go where no quads can even get up an old spur, thenI bushwhack....

BCbillies
12-05-2021, 04:00 PM
Tyler - I'm in Kamloops and always good to chat. Bighornbob has you covered for bighorns so I can't assist you nearly as much on that front. PM me if you want to talk Stone's sheep and goats. I'm one of those guys that started with jeans and low end gear and no family mountain hunting history or connections . . .

Rob Chipman
12-05-2021, 04:26 PM
I voted "Finding legal animals", not so much because that's hard, but that the other three are, for me at least, neither hard nor easy - they just are.

And yes, I've spotted an animal at last light on day 2 and had to wait 4 days for weather to lift in order to find the same animal again, but terrain, hard hiking and weather are completely out of my control. Second choice (and it's close) is mental attitude.

338edgehunter
12-09-2021, 05:51 PM
I sent you a pm as I'm also looking for more fellow sheep and goat hunters I tend to like hunting goats more than sheep but im down for either and I got plenty of gear