PDA

View Full Version : "Its a Monster"

Phoneguy
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
So, after parting ways with mtnmax we decided to head up Peachland FSR to the cut that we had seen all the mulies in October. Last day for 4 pt mulies. Was trying to cover some ground up to a point around Glen Lake FSR we decided to slow down as you never know. My buddy beside me started to doze. Just below Trout Cr FSR, at the road to Mt Kathleen, I spotted a large buck bust out of the ditch, jump up onto the spur, moving. I yelled big deer, and tried to get the truck stopped. I could tell right away that there was no question about 4 points (plus). We baled, me a little slower as I was driving, saw my partner fumbling with his clip as I was trying to get mine in. As I was driving the bolt in I saw him taking aim and boom, the deer stumbled hard. I had my rifle up for a second shot but was aware of my buddy moving, had to yell for him to stop as I had a shot. In the split second that that took the deer moved out of view. I called out go, as partner # 3 is saying shoot, just shoot the beast. Up the icy road after the deer, we found it down just around the corner (maybe 20 feet from the first shot). That bullet had taken out one rear leg, gone through the other. The deer was struggling to get up so there was a finishing shot needed. Didn't want to see it suffer any more than that. The three of us were stunned at the size of the deer and the rack. All told the pandemonium took about 30 seconds. I handed my rifle and asked them to unload it while I got the truck. When I pulled the truck up they told me I had failed to load a bullet. That could have been tragic!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Hunting/Nov%202007/4X7Mulie003.jpg

It was the first deer I had seen harvested. My partner said that I guess I can't complain about never even seeing any legal deer when I go out with him any more.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Hunting/Nov%202007/4X7Mulie006.jpg

We took it to the butcher in Summerland (Tom's Deli). The fellow had to stay late to wait for us. When we dropped the tailgate to the truck he thought we had shot an Elk. After we told him it was a mulie he we went into the shop to use the phone, all we could hear is "It's a monster, It's a monster". By that time we were all pretty giddy. Hanging on the hook the nose was still on the ground. Butcher said it may be the biggest deer he has had in the shop!

Hook weight was 185 lbs. We figure standing it must have been closing in on 300 lbs. 4 X 7.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Hunting/Nov%202007/4X7Mulie015.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Hunting/Nov%202007/4X7Mulie019.jpg

What a first deer harvest to be involved with. Might be a long time before I see anything that will compare to this! All the three of us could say as we drove away from the butcher was "Its a Monster".....

moose hunter
11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
wow nice big B.C deer for sure way to go!

Wildman
11-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Good job......when you said you failed to load a bullet what do you mean? Was there an empty hand loaded cartridge in there?

MB_Boy
11-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Nice buck........and if that's your first (can't quite tell for sure from the story).....you are going to have a good time trying to "one up" him!! :smile:

Phoneguy
11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
when you said you failed to load a bullet what do you mean? Was there an empty hand loaded cartridge in there?

No, I slammed it all together so fast I didn't have the magazine seated and never put a bullet in the chamber. At least thats what I think happened. I was not the one to drop the hammer on him. Maybe next time will be my turn!

Phoneguy
11-13-2007, 03:16 PM
More Pics:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Hunting/Nov%202007/

Brambles
11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
WOW what a great deer, any idea on the score on that monster, for educational purposes only.

Congrats to the lucky shooter.

Steeleco
11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Well done PG. Ah buck fever, if you never get it your not human!! Congrats

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Congrats on a beauty buck!!:cool:

I'm pretty darned sure I saw that guy during bow season last year:shock:(from about 200 yds). Can't be 100% though.

SSS

Brambles
11-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Congrats on a beauty buck!!:cool:

I'm pretty darned sure I saw that guy during bow season last year:shock:(from about 200 yds). Can't be 100% though.

SSS

You could have made the shot:wink:

.308win
11-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Sweet Monster!!!.....I really like the character hes got!!!....Congrats!!!

Perry

Orangethunder
11-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Thats one heck of buck, congrats.

Calamity Jane
11-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Very nice! Is your buddy gettin him mounted?

mark
11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
That is one awesome beast for sure, a buck of a lifetime for most! Congrads guys. Next time just post GPS co-ordinates instead of all them landmarks!

newhunterette
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Absolutely fabulous looking buck - the biggest and best congratulations to you and ur buds for a great story and awesome harvest - wow nice rack on that critter for sure - something definitely to be proud of

Alison

huntwriter
11-13-2007, 07:38 PM
That is one awesome buck.:shock: Congratulations!

I just came home from my hunting trip, we have seen one like your buck and several others a bit smaller but never got a shot as the deer were very spooky due to hunting pressure and changing weather conditions from warm to freezing. We might head out again next week.;)

mtnmax
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Holy crap man!!!!
You told me it was big but that is awsome.
A buddy already told me about a monster deer at xxxbutcher. You guys are becoming well known around here.

Ken

mtnmax
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
As for all those names of roads,,they were lost and those roads don't really exsist.

alremkin
11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
To me it looks like just a good sized buck bodywise with outlandishly large for his size antlers. Definately a great set of antlers. The only worry I'd have about eating him is that he have got into some steriods or growth hormone to grow antlers like that...On the other hand if he's totally natural, considering does judge bucks first by their antlers, eating the meat may make you "Stud of the walk", lol.

boxhitch
11-13-2007, 08:44 PM
good going guys. It takes time and patience to hone those road hunting skills, to get it all together quickly. Don't sweat about not chambering, you had the truck stopped. Thats a good thing.
It will come in time.:lol:

hunter11
11-13-2007, 09:25 PM
That buck looks like it will be good for christmas appies.:razz:

Phoneguy
11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
As for all those names of roads,,they were lost and those roads don't really exsist.

What, is it bad form to give a few landmarks? I guess I did pretty much put an X on the map for the people who know the area?!

James

Kirby
11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
You just put an X on the map for everybody with a road book. I've never hunted the area but bet I could drive there if I wanted now:smile: but who cares you dropped a monster buck, they can go chase the 130" dinks that are left up there.

Kirby

Wood butcher
11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Beauuuuuty deer. Nothing like perfect timing!!!!!!!! Congrats.

Curious about the weight, that is; hide and head off ready for butchering correct?

Phoneguy
11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Beauuuuuty deer. Nothing like perfect timing!!!!!!!! Congrats.

Curious about the weight, that is; hide and head off ready for butchering correct?

Yes, 185 lbs is hide, head, forelegs off, gutted and ready for butchering. One guy could lift the head and hide, but much easier with 2. Butcher was talking about cutting it in half before taking it out of the truck. I think there is a pic in the photobucket link that shows it hanging.
We threw a rope over an overhaning tree, one end tied to the antlers, the other to the truck. One guy put another brace under the tree and the other tried to lift the deer while I pulled forward with the truck to lift it for gutting. The tree ended up giving up so we did it on the ground. Hopefully we will get a measure of the rack from the taxidermist soon.

James

gameslayer
11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Awsome deer, That is a huge rack, I love hearing stories about the s--- hitting the fan and kaos happening. It is one of the things that makes it fun. Congrats to your hunting buddy. I hope he thanked you on the guided trip http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

pmj
11-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Congratulations. What a great buck. Sounds like you guys did a great job. No one hit their face on the truck door as they bailed out so you did a good job stopping8). Nice pictures.

BCJunior
11-13-2007, 11:37 PM
k that things a hog, no comment. just kidding congratz that is one of the nicest bucks i have seen shot all year.

WoodOx
11-13-2007, 11:42 PM
You just put an X on the map for everybody with a road book. I've never hunted the area but bet I could drive there if I wanted now:smile: but who cares you dropped a monster buck, they can go chase the 130" dinks that are left up there.

Kirby

Although they did give away a fair amount of info, if you live in Kelowna and stay up to date with larger bucks harvested, its not secret there are killer genetics down south...

I know guys who have hunted that exact area these chaps are talkin about for 5+ years and have never taken anything larger than a 160, so anyone thinkin about followin directions, g'luck :mrgreen:

GORGEOUS BUCK@!!!!

BCBairdo
11-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Nice buck...I think my buddy Peter talked to you guys on Sunday morning by Darke Lk. while I was off doing a bush push...story and description match. Did you manage to get your white tails?

Phoneguy
11-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Nice buck...I think my buddy Peter talked to you guys on Sunday morning by Darke Lk. while I was off doing a bush push...story and description match. Did you manage to get your white tails?

Was he the teacher guy? Nope, never did even see a white tail. Spent a lot of time at it too. Oh well.

hunter1947
11-14-2007, 06:23 AM
That is a very nice buck ,all these pic of mulie bucks are depressing me ,,congrats on a whooper of a buck.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

NightOwl74
11-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Although they did give away a fair amount of info, if you live in Kelowna and stay up to date with larger bucks harvested, its not secret there are killer genetics down south...

I know guys who have hunted that exact area these chaps are talkin about for 5+ years and have never taken anything larger than a 160, so anyone thinkin about followin directions, g'luck :mrgreen:

GORGEOUS BUCK@!!!!
You other guys from Kelowna aren't just a little bit peeved that these guys came up here from the coast and gave away the location of that deer? Not tryin to open a can o worms but also what do his hunting buddies think about him givin away the details? This is why I now say no thanks when my hunting "buddy" wants to go hunting. I took him hunting and when he shot his buck 15 minutes after hiking into MY spot, I specifically asked him to keep a secret about this location. He said no prob(but looked a little offended?!). Well next thing you know he took another guy from work up there because I was too busy to go. Needless to say this other guy is a grade "A" A**hole. :neutral:

Phoneguy
11-14-2007, 09:51 AM
You other guys from Kelowna aren't just a little bit peeved that these guys came up here from the coast and gave away the location of that deer? Not tryin to open a can o worms but also what do his hunting buddies think about him givin away the details? This is why I now say no thanks when my hunting "buddy" wants to go hunting. I took him hunting and when he shot his buck 15 minutes after hiking into MY spot, I specifically asked him to keep a secret about this location. He said no prob(but looked a little offended?!). Well next thing you know he took another guy from work up there because I was too busy to go. Needless to say this other guy is a grade "A" A**hole. :neutral:

Hey now, the three of us would be happy to help anyone connect with an animal if they are worth talking to. Two of us (me included) are first year hunters. It never even occurred to me that people might be so protective. This was taken on a main thoroughfare, lots of vehicles use this road to go past, hardly a "secret" area. If I have annoyed any locals I truly am sorry. No one pointed us here, so we didn't share a spot that someone had asked us not to. I was in here in October, and decided to bring a couple of friends up again....
Sorry that your experience soured things for you......I guess in the future I should hold my cards (hah) closer to my chest? I don't know, when people try and help me out I am appreciative, and like to do the same..

James

steepNdeep
11-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Right on - congrats on a great buck!

Looks like a good road hunting crew. Most guys that work hard for their deer, are pretty tight-lipped about their spot... I'm sure there will be more traffic up there next year... easy come... easy go...

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Big deer are dropping all over right now(or at least until the season ended). Pick a mountain and there will be a big buck somewhere nearby. Throw in the rut and you just might get lucky and a big boy like this just might cross your path.

SSS

Islandeer
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Good for you guys. Funny some of the responces to your success. Hunting is not meant to be a contest. Look a little deeper into the timber...

WoodOx
11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Phoneguy I would let distressed people bother you - without offending you it sounds like a huge amount of luck played into your harvest. Its a great buck, but as SSS said right now that sort of buck can, and do, run accross busy areas chasing does.

Best of luck tryin to find another :wink:

horshur
11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I hunted Kathleen 20 years ago and my old man another 25 before that--it ain't much of a secret. ROTFL.

dana
11-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Sweet buck!! Congrats on your success. That will be a buck you will remember for years. Kathleen has always been a great producer. I hunted it many a time back in the 80's and early 90's.

NightOwl74
11-15-2007, 08:20 AM
I hunted Kathleen 20 years ago and my old man another 25 before that--it ain't much of a secret. ROTFL.
Although you hunted this area twenty years ago and yer old man did 25 before that, you've now DESTROYED the area for your own children. :oops::oops::oops:ROTFL. By the way, where do you live now? My guess is it's not here.

Phoneguy
12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
WOW what a great deer, any idea on the score on that monster, for educational purposes only.

Congrats to the lucky shooter.

Just got word that it was measured at 178 6/8 non typical and 144 4/8 typical....So not in the record books, but respectable!

James

bruin
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Are you sure you're talking about the same buck??:confused:

Phoneguy
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Are you sure you're talking about the same buck??:confused:

Yes, why? To big, to small.....I have no idea what these numbers mean, other than bigger is better, Kinda like ......Naw I will leave it alone!;-)

WoodOx
12-11-2007, 04:32 PM
sounds a lot too small imho
I was thinking closer to 190 nt

Phoneguy
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I believe it got measured at the taxidermist on Kingsway, Burnaby....Those are the numbers I was told by the guy who took the shot.

James

horshur
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
It's a fair score. I've a buck thats similiar and same with score..........great deer don't let #@@# number mess that up.

tufferthandug
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I believe it got measured at the taxidermist on Kingsway, Burnaby....Those are the numbers I was told by the guy who took the shot.

James

You guy's may want to get that buck re-scored. JUST the gross Non-Typical score. That's a great buck and I think you might be able to find a bit higher number to use than 178 and 6/8's.

Remember that "Nets" are for fish. Throw the typical score out the door.

Untouchable
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
No way. He's gotta be bigger than that.

Floyd
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Well guys I am new to this site as I have just moved to the Fort McMurray area and did not do any hunting this year, it does sound like you guys had a great time, I am envious. I have hunted the entire Okanagan from Omak Washington with my nephew, to sugar lake and the kootenays with friends. There are a lot of big deer out there and sometimes its just being in the right place at the right time. Right now I wish I could have been there with you guys. next year for sure, and congrats.

eastkoot
12-11-2007, 06:47 PM
There's a 10 point deduction for the tongue hanging out and another 10 point deduction for shooting the legs out from underneath it !!!!

Will
12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Well He's a Great Looking Buck at any rate !
Congrats to the Lucky Fellas and Well Done ! :cool:

FWIW: from the pics your posted score looks about right...

178 6/8 non typical and 144 4/8 typical

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2007, 07:34 PM
The 178" non-typ score is most likely the "net" score. Do you know what the gross score is??? That's what most people are interested in:cool:.
Great buck either way!!!

SSS

Will
12-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I'd bet about 190-ish gross maybe less ?

Sometimes I think Folks fret about score to the point of Lunacy...:-?

I Can't think of too many Folks that would pass on that Buck.........except for an Archer at 200 meters.....:wink:

ruttinbuck
12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Score smore...
If the buck turns me crank,I'm gonna try to let the air out of him.
I just use the score number as a way for more experienced hunters to understand the size of the buck being described.RB

dana
12-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Score smore...
If the buck turns me crank,I'm gonna try to let the air out of him.
I just use the score number as a way for more experienced hunters to understand the size of the buck being described.RB

EXACTLY!!!! There is way more to hunting than score. That is just some silly man made number that really means jack-shit in real life. To me, it's all about the HUNT, and it sounds like these hunters had a hunt of a lifetime. Congrats once again on a great great buck.

legal-hunter
12-11-2007, 09:34 PM
. Do you know what the gross score is??? That's what most people are interested in:cool:.
Great buck either way!!!

SSS
yeah i like to go off gross net is just stupid. But the gross goes to tell you just how big they reallly are.
Awesome buck biggun isnt he