PDA

View Full Version : West Harrison

mike_hodg
11-17-2021, 10:42 AM
Good morning guys I have a question that I cannot find an answer to definitively on drive BC or google, and when I ask people I get mixed answers that turn me back to my previous findings.

With the flooding that happened a few days ago how is access to West Harrison via mission? Everything I see says its clear and access is good, but I have friends that say their friends are stuck in Harrison but wont say which side.

This is probably my last weekend to go hunting for deer before finals start and once they start I gotta focus on studying. But I don't want to A: get in the way of SAR if they are operating in that area, B: get in the way of locals if they are flooded out, and C: dont want to become in need of rescue.

Any actual info on the way up is helpful so I can make an informed decision.

Cheers!

twoSevenO
11-17-2021, 11:02 AM
There is a FB group about this road. In-shuck-ch road updates.

Join that and see the videos. Most videos are being posted from about 70km and up ... I'm not sure where these people are stranded but I assume before that.

However, I have zero reason to believe the road south is any better or washout free.

It's not a good time to be out there right now. I want to go hunting too, but I'll be staying put until I'm certain the mountains are no longer unstable.

mike_hodg
11-17-2021, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the information, I'll look into it, I have a feeling you are correct.

jlirot
11-17-2021, 11:56 AM
I'm totally bummed about hunting too. I was planning to hit it hard this week up at my place. Looks like I won't be able to get up there anytime soon. The season may be finished for me unfortunately. But, at least I'm in one piece and my family is ok. First world problems for sure.

Edzzed
11-18-2021, 01:01 PM
I saw a pic on facebook yesterday. Getting thru will not be an option. Last Nov, I got stuck with a mudslide blocking the road just this side of 20 mile bay. Fortunately, There were logging roads to get around that. I was quite worried having not a lot of supplies with me. Biggest worry was what if I try to drive the Pemberton way out and hit another mudslide.

driveby
11-18-2021, 02:28 PM
All FSR's in the coastal region are now closed.
West Harrison has some big slides, 2.5km, 8km, 22.5km and 38km. The one at 22.5km is reported as being very bad.

Wentrot
11-18-2021, 03:07 PM
All FSR's in the coastal region are now closed.
West Harrison has some big slides, 2.5km, 8km, 22.5km and 38km. The one at 22.5km is reported as being very bad.

where did you hear that? It’s only the Chilliwack district.

cameron0518
11-18-2021, 03:09 PM
Time to suck it up and stay home.

Modeltwelve
11-18-2021, 04:10 PM
Time to suck it up and stay home.

What he said

driveby
11-18-2021, 04:23 PM
where did you hear that? It’s only the Chilliwack district.

Coastal is Chilliwack......

"Chilliwack Forest District" is "DCK" on the map.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/forestry/district-contacts/natural_resource_regions_and_districts_map2017.png

Here is a link to the notice:
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/DCK/external/!publish/ENGINEERING/NOTICES/Road%20Closures/ALL%20FSR's%20-%202021%20Road%20Closure's.pdf

Wentrot
11-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Coastal is Chilliwack......

"Chilliwack Forest District" is "DCK" on the map.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/forestry/district-contacts/natural_resource_regions_and_districts_map2017.png

Here is a link to the notice:
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/DCK/external/!publish/ENGINEERING/NOTICES/Road%20Closures/ALL%20FSR's%20-%202021%20Road%20Closure's.pdf

Thank you sir

Redthies
11-18-2021, 06:53 PM
Get on the ferry and go to the Sunshine Coast or the Island if you want to get out...

Treed
11-18-2021, 11:43 PM
I love how wonderfully kind people are to each other on this site. I think it’s the worst I’ve seen on any forum.

Steeleco
11-19-2021, 06:10 AM
He's now got 3 days to think about where not to hunt. We are DONE with the insults. The bans could be worse!

Redthies
11-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Were you saying my suggestion to try the island or Sunshine Coast was insulting? I sure hope not... (I just came home from the island yesterday and watched a buck eating grass on the side of the road while people walked by on the sidewalk. WITH DOGS! They have some weird deer over there!)

campking
11-19-2021, 08:33 AM
I agree with you, I have been the brunt of them myself.
That being said there are really good people on this site!

campking
11-19-2021, 08:35 AM
Thank you and I personally agree, we should all be done with the insults and be a little more kind with each other, after all we are all fellow hunters.

Treed
11-19-2021, 06:59 PM
Were you saying my suggestion to try the island or Sunshine Coast was insulting? I sure hope not... (I just came home from the island yesterday and watched a buck eating grass on the side of the road while people walked by on the sidewalk. WITH DOGS! They have some weird deer over there!)

Lol definitely not. Your post wasn’t there I was typing away.

i agree there are some great people on here too. They keep me coming back despite the people who feel the need to belittle others.

Deer_Slayer
11-19-2021, 07:32 PM
Best to stay home. I got out of Princeton a day before the shit hit the fan. My spidey senses told me it was gona be dangerous in back country. Freezing rain, heavy snow, then rain and I told my son lets get outa here or we may get stuck. Not worth it man. Logging roads and bridges are unstable, and logging roads are usually cut on side of mountains where a mud slide can easily happen. Sucks I know.

Edzzed
11-19-2021, 07:45 PM
I drove Adams lake FSR today, Little slippy in places SNOW and MUDDY. Car needs a bath. Can't read rear license plate.

browningboy
11-19-2021, 07:55 PM
He's now got 3 days to think about where not to hunt. We are DONE with the insults. The bans could be worse!

Not sure where the insults where???

Downwindtracker2
11-19-2021, 07:57 PM
My son was saying washouts all the way along. He likely got from his 4wheeling friends. These roads may never be rebuilt.

This site is more pleasant than Garage Journal , a great site for mechanic's hand tools BTW.

last light
11-19-2021, 08:05 PM
Not sure where the insults where???

I think the insult post in question was deleted.

twoSevenO
11-19-2021, 08:23 PM
My son was saying washouts all the way along. He likely got from his 4wheeling friends. These roads may never be rebuilt.

This site is more pleasant than Garage Journal , a great site for mechanic's hand tools BTW.

There are some power generating stations up there that they will want road access to as well as for powerline maintenance.

I think Harrison FSR will be rebuilt, but you're right, a lot of other FSrs are probably done until it's time to go back and log the area.

No one in government cares that you used the road to access hunting spots.

Salty
11-19-2021, 09:01 PM
There is a FB group about this road. In-shuck-ch road updates.

Join that and see the videos. Most videos are being posted from about 70km and up ... I'm not sure where these people are stranded but I assume before that.

However, I have zero reason to believe the road south is any better or washout free.

It's not a good time to be out there right now. I want to go hunting too, but I'll be staying put until I'm certain the mountains are no longer unstable.

Buy this man a beer he just gave you the best advice you’ll get. It’s a war zone in the cascades and coast mountains right now. Fixing landslides, washouts and storm mayhem was my jam for a lot of years this is the worse and widest scale I’ve ever seen. Hunting will return for us but now? No!