PDA

View Full Version : Long Weekend Report

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2007, 11:39 AM
I had Fri booked off in case I needed it to chase mulies but since I already tagged out close to home, I decided to chased whities. My partner and I have had pretty good luck on Remembrance Day so I thought things should be heating up. Wrong! Not one deer spotted in our favorite area but I did manage to find a buck that I believe I lost a couple of years ago in the same spot. It was the only animal that I have failed to recover in my hunting career so far. It was only about 50yds further than I searched for him back when it happenned. He was in a thick bush so the rack was in decent shape.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Pickupwhitey001.jpg

The next day my partner and I decided to get him a meat muley on the last day of the season. He only got out for one afternoon all season due to building a new house.

I took him down down into one of my favorite spot.....a deep canyon where I have yet to see even one footprint.
We hiked down in the dark on a well used game trail and set up on a little cliff overlooking two steep draws that come together. Since I was playing guide I put the rangefinder and video camera on my belt for easy access.
I also put out one of FD's tarsal glands (his buck's......not his). All of a sudden I heard a thud then followed by a .....padump.........padump........padump.......... padump................................... padump................. padump......................... padump..........:shock:. My velcro belt let loose and the video camera rolled off the side of the cliff :cry:.
My first thought was "It's gonna be a booner!!":roll:

We raked in one doe to 30yds but the day was pretty windy and then heavy rain came. We stayed in the bottom for a few hours and then decided to head up and try a new area. I made my buddy take the lead just in case we bumped some deer on the hike out.
We got to within about 100 yds fromt he top when we both saw a doe crossing the gamne trail we were on. She dissappeared but was replaced by a buck hot on her heels. He paused with his neck stretched out and my partner let him have it . The buck dissappeared for a few seconds and then started cartwheeling down the steep slope towards us! Luckilly he hit a thick clumpo of trees or he could have gone another 500 yds to the very bottom of the canyon. Not big but a good meat buck for my partner.
We hacked him up and broke in my new pack.

Cont'd

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Janns2007Muley003.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Janns2007Muley005.jpg

The next day we hiked into our whitey spot but all I can say it that our Remembrance Day streak is over:cry:. I finally saw a copuple of does but we need some weather to make the deer pile in there.
I was going to head back in yesterday but when I woke up to those nasty winds I decided to sleep in and do some butchering and catch up on some errands.
Hopefully, things will heatup for next weekend!

SSS

Thunderstix
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a pretty good weekend to me. Sure beats sitting in front of the TV.

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
I
I also put out one of FD's tarsal glands (his buck's......not his). All of a sudden I heard a thud then followed by a .....padump.........padump........padump.......... padump................................... padump................. padump......................... padump..........:shock:. My velcro belt let loose and the video camera rolled off the side of the cliff :cry:.

I can still smell those tarsals every time my dog gets near me...it's almost worn off the stinky bugger now! :-P

Did you get your video cam back? Was it mush?

Good to see I'm not the only one that shoots bucks that roll down ravines! I thought after last week's episode that you would be taking Jan to some FLAT ground! ;-)

Brambles
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
good to see you guys filled your mulie tag, last day to boot. Good Job,

calvin L
11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I am glad to see that you can get out . don't worry that vid cam is a pain your a$$ anyways . I gess a new one is on the way:tongue: I sure wish I had your kind of luck .How was the new pack . I also see you are tring not to have a tag for bow season :?. I have a place in edge wood lined up for the last weekend .

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Surprizingly the video camera will not function as my new rattlebag.
It's doing the same thing it did on our grizz hunt so should be about a $130 repair bill. I guess it missed all the big rocks and trees.

Edgewood?? Isn't that the old Totem Inn?:-D Must be as it has to be within 15 mins of my house as that's my bowhunting travelling limit.:roll:

Cal-Did you take your purse to Spokane this weekend:-D or did you pack your iron(or bow) in the bush:cool:?

SSS

calvin L
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
As you put it I did not pack anything ;-) this weekend as the trip has been delayed to dec 8-13 (I realy should hold a pillow over her head ) I beleeve she is testing me to the point on no return ! I did lokk at the new hoyt's today . very nice

mark
11-13-2007, 08:07 PM
good job on the buck, I cant believe you actually hiked into that ravine (steep and nasty) Georgias buck was about 200 yards from the motorbike pic!

boxhitch
11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Good guiding SSS. #3 - Too many accesories are a pain. #2 - Never trust Velcro or cheap rain gear . But # 1 ? the guide is always right !!
Good shooting, J.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Good guiding SSS. #3 - Too many accesories are a pain. #2 - Never trust Velcro or cheap rain gear . But # 1 ? the guide is always right !!
Good shooting, J.

So much for my first movie in a series of films "The Guide's Black Eye":oops:.
I think I'll leave it to the professionals.

I may need to give your B-in-law another call.

Mark-Shot that little 4 pt that I've got downstairs right in the bottom of that canyon. Now that was a pack job! I know...I'm a glutton for punishment:roll:.

SSS