PDA

View Full Version : Monte Lake, Westwold, Falkland Bucks

Brambles
11-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Just curious, done a little hunting in this area and am headed back again this year so I ask the question!

What class of mule deer bucks does this area produce, has it ever pumped out any number of good bucks?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to advertise this kind of info on an open board.

If a guy was to hold out for a buck during the rut in this area what would be a realistic goal, don't want to pass on a 170 if the area doesn't produce bucks much bigger if you understand where i'm comming from.

I'm not soliciting for anyones special info, just general info on buck quality and quantity.

Thanks

Brambles

dave_fras
11-13-2007, 07:26 AM
ive heard of some big buck taken out out of that area....my uncle got a 4 point out of there last year ont he last day of the season

boxhitch
11-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Ive seen a couple from there, and WT off the farms too. Popular spots get pounded, lots of drivers, but of course there are pockets.
Much like anywhere else I guess.
Will be on the trapline Thurs., will give update.

Gunner
11-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I've spent a lot of time in there in the late season,there is the odd GOOD buck,but most of the 4X4's you will see are decidedly average.Lots of roadhunters til the snow gets too deep for them to make it up the hills!I hunt it because it's close to home after Region 8 closes.Good luck!Gunner

Sharkey
11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
My friend and I saw 2 big fellas up there about 3 weeks ago - they were at the top of a cut block heading into the woods after they saw us. They were about 300 yards away from us and we couldn't make out how many points - three at least with TALL racks. She was out with her husband about a week prior to that and saw another couple of big guys hanging out together - saw them just as they were heading into the bush. They tracked them for a while and gave up as they headed straight up a very steep hill. Couldn't keep up with them. As Boxhitch mentioned - it's popular and was crawling with hunters when we were there. Probably more so now that the season's over in Region 8 for muleys.
~D

Brambles
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
good to hear there are some sightings at least, no snow so it will be difficult to find the pockets of big deer. I didn't see many hunters up there in 2005 but there was a fair bit of snow and the hills were greasy.

One of the loggers said he saw a guy with a "real nice" one in his truck, not sure what he considers "real nice"

Probably won't hold out for a "buck of a lifetime" but something interesting, If I see a drop tine or some good cheaters on a respectable buck he's going down, or something wide.

Thanks guys keep up the feedback

GoatGuy
11-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Never seen anything over 160 in there but I don't hunt it much. My buddy's seen some whoppers and his old man shot some dandies back in the day.

If I was hunting in region 3 I'd probably head north of there a couple hours. :biggrin:

Brambles
11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Never seen anything over 160 in there but I don't hunt it much. My buddy's seen some whoppers and his old man shot some dandies back in the day.

If I was hunting in region 3 I'd probably head north of there a couple hours. :biggrin:

Yeah if It was a truely serious hunt I'd do llike you said and head up north a ways. But the wife and boy are going to visit the great grandparents while I'm out trying to improve on the collection:smile:

I won't be heartbroken if I don't shoot anything so there isn't any pressure to perform, but you don't shoot them off the couch watching Dr. Phil:|

Actually I'd be plenty happy with a 160 buck that has some character to him

Derek_Erickson
11-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I got a couple buddies that always pull a nice buck out of that area, lots of guys to deal with thats the only thing, just get out of the truck

Brambles
11-13-2007, 06:01 PM
The week I hunted there in 2005 they were definitly early morning and late evening movers, never seen anything like it, the cutblocks came alive with does during the last 15 minutes of light, doesn't give you much time to find a buck and shoot him, didn't see a buck for the first 3 days or so and the last day I seen a lot of 2 points running does, that is until I happened on my buck and then the hunting ended:cool:

Hopefully I can get out of the truck, I tweeked my back yesterday and today I've been moving pretty slow, hopefully It will smarted up by Thursday.

tooley
11-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm not saying there not out there, but you will be looking a while if you want something better than 170. There is so much traffic the big boys are still pretty much nocturnal.

Orangethunder
11-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I have seen a few in around Falkland but it was after the season. The biggest one would have been in and around the 160 mark. Just like anywhere though they are out there.