PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Elk - Found them, now what?

adamc
11-12-2021, 09:50 AM
Howdy Hunting BC Folks.

Little context before the question. I moved up to the Okanagan this year and have been out exploring new country. Prior hunting efforts has always been focussed on mulies where I have found success. Living up here I thought I better find a whitetail spot - so out I went scouting and place some cams in a zone I was seeing sign and some does.

Yesterday I check my cam and Boom there is a group of 4 cow elk with a 5x5 in tow… so naturally my mind is thinking ahead to next September season hoping he sprouts another point.

My question to you - what now?? My intuition tells me hammer the place with cams, salt blocks in the spring, and try to find trails/bedding areas.

Anything else I need to be thinking of? Anything specific to okanagan elk that makes them different?

elkrub
11-12-2021, 10:37 AM
First things first....I'm going to need the Location! Cuz I think your in my Spot!

Secondly....Welcome to the board!

Third... Look for rubs,wallows & Rutting activity, where the elk are now may not be where you hunt them in Sept. Also look for the travel corridors between the two spots, from my experience they operate much like a Monster Whitetail.... very Cunning!

Steelpulse
11-12-2021, 03:00 PM
Just hunt that whole area year round. See what’s moving in and out. They could be miles away next year or right there again who knows. Figure that out next summer.
keep hunting there. Start scouting a larger and larger area over the year

Jagermeister
11-12-2021, 03:17 PM
Don't make too many forays into the area. Somebodies with year round hunting licences may spot you and beat you to the punch.

358mag
11-12-2021, 06:23 PM
Don't make too many forays into the area. Somebodies with year round hunting licences may spot you and beat you to the punch.

^^^^^X2^^^^^^
Very true like all regions , there's no shortage "gut pile" hunters in region 8 :razz:

4 point
11-12-2021, 08:23 PM
I met a indigenous hunter in Region 3 recently. He and his fellow hunters(Caucasian) follow the rules. He told me several gut wrenching stories as to what is happening to our wildlife by those that aren’t following the rules we all should be following.

boxhitch
11-13-2021, 10:51 AM
First things first....I'm going to need the Location! Cuz I think your in my Spot!
My 1st thought too, 2 years now I have pics of 5 cows with a 5 pt'er just off Hwy 6

Deer_Slayer
11-13-2021, 08:12 PM
I think you should PM me the exact location and I will go there in September to check it out for you. Best you just stay outa there until I give you an update.

nelsonob1
11-14-2021, 01:32 PM
If it were only that easy. Unfortunately, they tend to move. As others suggested, keep widening the area and figure out whether there is a bigger population. Use Google Maps to find likely terrain. Set up some cams in August on trails.

Ltbullken
11-15-2021, 09:49 AM
Look for wallows and well established elk highways would be my advice. Wallows and trenched elk game trails tend be used year on year, especially if they are big. You could set up cameras now but I wouldn't set them up until late summer next year.